Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHORT FUSE  (Read 24544 times)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
Re:THE SHORT FUSE
« Reply #90 on: March 10, 2004, 02:28:34 PM »

Charles Pogue, I hesitate to try and explain this since I don’t understand it myself, but here goes.  There may be an easier way for you to add your photo to your profile.  While sizing Penny O’s photo for her Keith briefly substituted it for mine to see how it looked.  Once he did that he discovered her photo then became part of the HHW site and she could simply access the photo herself to attach to her profile.  Since Penny was coming here anyway she just waited to let Keith do it for her.  But I guessing (sorry Keith isn’t around to help you & he is still working on our computer woes) one of our Dear Readers might be able to assist you with this approach.

Jane

« Reply #91 on: March 10, 2004, 02:31:14 PM »

I have never done a page dance-this shall be interesting.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :)                     :)          :)

:)               :)             :)[/move]

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #92 on: March 10, 2004, 02:32:06 PM »

I meant to mention this when we were doing classic numbers from MGM musicals, but I forgot to add these comments about one film in particular.

No, it has no outstanding musical numbers, most of them being staged very unimaginatively, and the film itself is very trite and simplistic, but I have to mention it anyway: THE SINGING NUN.

I think Debbie Reynolds' singing of the famous Belgian sister's songs was quite wonderful. I used to play the soundtrack LP over and over, never tiring of these marvelous melodies and of Debbie's effortless and lyrical singing of these tunes. She has never gotten enough credit for her marvelous renditions of those songs in this film.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jane

« Reply #93 on: March 10, 2004, 02:32:59 PM »

Now I know why I have never done a page dance-it's called motion sickness. :P

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #94 on: March 10, 2004, 02:49:17 PM »

Does the final (we hope) rewrite resemble the original at all! Or does it even seem at all similar to your first rewrite? DOes the plot remain the same, do the names of the characters change? What changes the most of the time frame? I am intrigued by the process.
First of all, Tom, it definitely is NOT the final rewrite. No, no. That would be way, way down the line. Ask FS Pogue, I'm sure he has war stories to rival mine. Film (this includes TV) is a collaborative medium. Someone once said that it's usually the kind of "collaboration" one thinks of in terms of the French during WWII. And this, unfortunately, is often the case. If you're lucky enough to be working with good producers and directors, it can be better. In fact, in the best of all possible worlds, it can be an enriching, exciting experience.
At this stage of the game (Second Draft), the rewrites are still making the script better to some degree. Digging deeper into the characters, clarifying motivations, plot, etc. Some of the changes are made in the spirit of compromise - let's make everyone happy and get on with it; others really do improve the script. It's later on that the changes sometimes begin to sink the ship. Draft 7 - when your leading man becomes your leading lady. (I exaggerate to some degree, but this did happen to me once. A mystery in which a son jealous of his father was killing off contestants in a beauty contest the father ran. At the last minute the son was changed to a daughter - I mean, just before shooting began. Nobody wanted to listen to the argument that this made the story totally different and quite unsavory - because it now suggested that the daughter was in love with her dad. Might have worked for the Greeks, but not for this particular story...)
But I digress. So, as much as I may bitch about the process, I think the script, which went in to the network today, is better than it was when I first handed it to the producers. I just wish that it could have been done with one set of notes instead of three - each requiring a new rewrite.
And yes, the plot, characters and story are quite recognizable. Talk to me about it in a few months and we'll see what I say then. (That's assuming that the movie is greenlit and actually goes into production.) I hope this answers your question!

Jane

« Reply #95 on: March 10, 2004, 02:54:47 PM »

Dear Canadian Readers do you have Christie Ginger cookies or something like that?  They are crisp Swedish style ginger cookies.  When we were in Canada last fall I had some and would like to get more.  I have written to Kraft several times and they keep saying they will get back to me.

Panni

« Reply #96 on: March 10, 2004, 02:57:30 PM »

My daughter phoned a while ago to say she had arrived in Hungary. What a strange feeling for me!
She also just received news that she got the summer position she applied for at the university (in San Francisco). She gets free room and board (an apartment!) and a small salary for the entire summer - and can keep her other job at the university - in exchange for being a kind of  den mother to summer students in residence. It's a much coveted job and many people applied. I am a proud mother. (And one who now  doesn't have to help out with summer rent.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 03:06:30 PM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #97 on: March 10, 2004, 02:58:29 PM »

Thanks Anna for the glimpse into your world. I guess the loves of one's chosen field, allows for the compromises you must make in getting to the final draft. I appreciate your taking time (so often) to allow us into your world.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jane

« Reply #98 on: March 10, 2004, 03:00:08 PM »

Panni-GOOD VIBES FOR THE GREEN LIGHT!

Panni

« Reply #99 on: March 10, 2004, 03:00:42 PM »

You're quite welcome, Tom. My pleasure.

Panni

« Reply #100 on: March 10, 2004, 03:04:58 PM »

Thank you, Jane. I'd really like for this script to be done. Not just for the usual reasons, but also because I think it sheds a tiny light on the plight of the homeless. Personalizes the situation by going into the world of a homeless woman and saying, among other things, "There but for the grace of God, go I.".... It might actually do some good in the world.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #101 on: March 10, 2004, 03:17:17 PM »

So.  Did we decide that Glen Close and Robert Pastorelli were still together, or a past fling?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #102 on: March 10, 2004, 03:19:53 PM »

Back from my luncheon with Mr. Al Kasha and Joel Hirschhorn, which was delightful.  We spoke of many things, which could lead to many things, and that's all good.  They are big fans of my albums and I like their songs.  Hmmmm.

Pogue, if you call me, I'll talk you through the pic thing.  And darling Jane, those weren't MY directions, they were der Brucer's not der Bruce's.  

I had a cobb salad (supposedly the large size but it was pretty small).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #103 on: March 10, 2004, 03:21:10 PM »

Oh, and I scored a really interesting item on eBay.  I actually just wrote the seller and asked him to sell it to me (it was cheap) and to shut the auction down, which he graciously did.  It's a UK Quad poster for Nudie Musical, a poster I'd never even seen before.  As soon as it arrives I'll post a pic of it - it's pretty wacky.

Panni

« Reply #104 on: March 10, 2004, 03:21:31 PM »

I would think that much water had flowed under the Close bridge since that time. But that's only my opinion, based on no inside info whatsoever.
(Ooops (Spoo) A number of posts between TCB's question and my reply...)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 03:24:28 PM by Panni »

Jane

« Reply #105 on: March 10, 2004, 03:26:01 PM »

Bruce-oops.   :D   And good vibes on the hmmmm.

Jane

« Reply #106 on: March 10, 2004, 03:36:22 PM »

Bruce I'm feeling happy now.  That was a very nice story. :)

Emily

« Reply #107 on: March 10, 2004, 03:37:46 PM »

Okay I'm back from two very boring classes.

But then again, most things would be boring after comparing them to yesterday!

So...

After learning that I was going to be able to see Kofi Annan speak to the joint HofC and Senate I was beyond excited.  Poli. Sci. nerds everywhere wanted to be me!

The next morning I arrived at the East Block (where the Senate offices are) and promptly entered the wrong entrance.  Luckily the guards were very nice and phoned up to Senator Milne's office to make sure I wasn't a terrorist and was actually the person I said I was.  The finally let me through after much frisking, x-raying and making me swear that I didn't have any electronic devices on me.   At least I didn't have the same experience as another girl who had forgotten to take the knitting she was working on the bus out of her bag.  They confiscated the needles claiming they were potential weapons.  

The Senator's admin. assistant Lisa was very nice and explained to me that it was she who managed to negotiate seats at the big Annan speech not only for me, but also for the other five girls who got Senators.  The people who had MPs had to watch from a tv screen.  Ha!  So much for the Canadian senate being useless! ;)

I then got to meet the Senator and talked to her one on one for about 45 minutes where we touched on such issues as gender empowerment in politics, senate reform and my personal interest in gun control.  I was excited to learn that Senator Milne had actually sat on the Senate Committee which had fine-tuned the Firearms Act way back in 1995 and actually made her CRY when she recounted how her son had been caught in the cross-fire of a school shooting - the first in Canadian history - way back in the early 1970s.  It definitely was an intense moment.  

Then around 9:45 we both whisked off to the HofC for the speech.  I got to sit in the Government Members' Gallery which was exciting.  I sat next to two very nice people - one of which was the chief of staff for a MP who's name I forget.  He pointed out a lot of people I couldn't recognize at first (mainly Senators and backbench MPs).  I told him about the Canadian Alliance and their links to the NRA.  We then discussed whether Pierre Pettigrew's hair was natural.  A good time was had by all. ;) (by the way - his hair is either fake or the 8th wonder of the world)

Then Kofi Annan and Paul Martin walked into the HofC and everyone stood up and applauded.  Now the only way to compare it is the same ovation given to a star makes their appearance in a show - but somehow louder (some cheered louder than others... but that's party politics for ya!)

The PM gave a short little address thanking Annan for coming and talking about how proud Canada is to be such an integral part of the UN.

The Annan spoke.  The speech itself wasn't all that great - most of it was pretty basic and was generally him going "Yeaaaaa Canada.... Yeaaaaaaa United Nations".  What was really great was the respect and dignity this man just creates whenever he opens his mouth.  He is without a doubt one of the most outwardly classiest people I have ever seen.  Almost royal in his presence.

Sheila Copps' cell phone went off right in the middle of the speech which was pretty darn funny if annoying.

Now for the greatest thing EVER...

The speech ended at 11am.  I had been told that the Senator's Policy Advisor would come get me at the Members' Gallery at 11:30 which was when the speech was supposed to end.  I figured I would have to wait around for him - so I got comfortable dug in.  

About 10 minutes later, the entire HofC was empty.  Then the Senator came up to find me and told me that she would be taking me back to her office because I didn't know the way myself.

We were walking back from the HofC to the Senate when we passed by the Hall of Honour.  Here, a receiving line of sorts was being made for when Paul Martin and Kofi left, made up of all of the staff of the two houses (clerks, speakers, pages, etc.).  Seeing this the Senator asked me if I wanted to shake Kofi Annan's hand.

DID I?  But how?  I asked.

Oh just go line up with the pages - your about their ages and will blend in.  

I just about freaked out and she literally pushed me into the end of the line.  The pages were laughing at me and the Senator.  

Just then the chief of staff I had been chatting with before the speech walked by and asked me what I was doing.  The Senator (who was standing next to me... so there was a line of pages, me and an elderly Senator in beige) explained, he laughed and promptly got in line with me.

The Prime Minister and Annan then walked in, shook everybody's hand, INCLUDING MINE.  I will admit he looked a little confused as to who the three people at the end of the line were - but whatever.  The Senator, who of course knew Paul Martin well, introduced me to him and we had a three-second talk about the work of "Women in the House".  

It was the greatest thrill of my life.  

No one else in the program even got CLOSE to Annan or the Prime Minister.  Many only got to spend a half an hour or so with the person they were supposed to be shadowing.  

I definitely lucked out.

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #108 on: March 10, 2004, 03:55:03 PM »

I've always been a little suspect of that arguement.  When I compare the hacked version to the recently (somewhat) restored one, I don't see where there's anything that's missing that would have made her performance more Oscar-worthy.  Don't misunderstand me--I fully believe that she should have won in any event.  But I don't think the length of the picture had anything to do with her win or loss.

The recording studio scene, itself, adds great power to the film.  I remember the film before it was restored (considerably) and always wondered what the original fuss had been about.  Now, thank goodness, I know.  Garland's performance was brutalized in the cut film.  l

Oscars have hinged on single scenes....look at Luise Rainer in "The Great Ziegfeld" -- she had a telephone scene. And it won her an Oscar.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Panni

« Reply #109 on: March 10, 2004, 03:55:49 PM »

Hey, Emily, way to go! What a thrilling experience!

Jane

« Reply #110 on: March 10, 2004, 04:01:24 PM »

Emily-WOW! How exciting!  

MBarnum

« Reply #111 on: March 10, 2004, 04:20:04 PM »

Hey, where has Jennifer been of late!?

BK, that is cool about the poster. I hope you will snap a pic of it for all to see!

Jane

« Reply #112 on: March 10, 2004, 04:35:54 PM »

Keith is home with our repaired and much improved computer.  Falcon, the company we purchased the computer from kindly upgraded it at no additional fee when they repaired it, under warranty.  Keith had a tour of their new facilities in Medford and was very impressed.

I need to get off the laptop now while Keith sets up the other computer.  

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #113 on: March 10, 2004, 04:39:08 PM »

Warning: Teenage ramblings ahead.  Reader beware.

Today, I went with school (The entire 10th grade and a few 9th graders) to the Irish Hunger Memorial in Battery Park.  I was supposed to spend the trip with a retired teacher who had supposedly heard nice things about me and wanted to spend time with me, but she ended up speaking with the other teachers for the entire trip.  Before we even left, I knew that I had a miserable day ahead of me.  I have a few friends in the senior class at school, but none in my own grade.  While waiting at school for the buses to arrive, everyone going on the trip was talking to one another, but I was standing all alone, staring awkwardly at the floor.  I am not anti-social and this wasn't by choice.  Whenever I approached a group, they backed away.  I know that these kids dislike me, but I haven't been in a position where they could express their dislike in a long time, so I sort of forgot.  I went over to the table where the one person in my grade who I'm friends with was sitting, and she told me to go away and that I wasn't wanted.  Some friend.  We boarded the bus; I sat alone and read "Everything Was Possible".  When we got to Battery Park, I wandered around the memorial alone, feeling very depressed.  Sometime during this point, I had a fairly severe panic attack and almost fainted.  As I was having the attack, I recalled the last time I had that feeling.  I was in third grade gym class, and the two dodge ball teams were fighting over which would be forced to have me on it.  After the main bulk of the trip, we went to South Street Seaport for lunch where I found some lovely ninth graders who, out of charity and pity, allowed me to sit with them.  Then we went back on the bus, where I sat alone and eavesdropped as a group of ninth graders discussed flavored condoms.  

I honestly don't understand how I became a pariah in my own school.  I don't dress differently from the other kids, I'm perfectly nice to them, and I never talk about my "weird" interests around them.  In fact, when speaking to other teenagers, I speak in 'their language'!  I'm sorry, but I don't understand why they hate me.  I never did anything to them, but they treat me as though if they were to talk to me, they would die.  Or worse, they would end up like me, however that is.  I haven't felt so alone since elementary school.  It's a sickening feeling.

This is the least eloquent post I've ever written.  I apologize for the poor sentence structure.

...And I don't say things like that to teenagers, so they can't hate me for being a pedant!

(By the way, I spent the entire bus ride back from this trip composing a perfectly phrased paragraph about this day to post on here, but I lost it.  Somewhere out there, there is piercing eloquence just waiting to be shared with all of you!)

My head hurts.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Michael

« Reply #114 on: March 10, 2004, 04:39:36 PM »

To Bruce, Anna, Charles and all the other wonder professional writers out there.

Do you use programs like Final Draft or Movie Magic Screenwriter or a similar program and if you do why have you chosen this program over the others?

Also there are other programs like Dramatic Pro and Story View that supposely help you in creation of your story. Are you familair with and do you use them. And if you don't why?
Never stop dreaming.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #115 on: March 10, 2004, 04:53:32 PM »

Jenny:

Yikes.  You've had a terrible day.

My recommendation:  Get your parents and tell them you need a nice, long hug.

Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #116 on: March 10, 2004, 04:59:47 PM »

My recommendation:  Get your parents and tell them you need a nice, long hug.

My parents are absolutely wonderful people, but they don't understand the effect that this sort of experience has on me.  My sister was also hated all through elementary and high school, but it never bothered her at all because she hated them right back.  My parents want to me to have that same attitude.  As I sat there crying about how rotten my day was, my mother remarked that I bring this sort of thing upon myself.  I love my parents very much and they're wonderful, but they truly don't understand this sort of thing.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Panni

« Reply #117 on: March 10, 2004, 05:01:03 PM »

Michael Shayne - I use Final Draft. I've used it for years and am used to it - no other reason. Works for me.

No, I don't use programs to help create story - and I would bet my vast fortune that FS Pogue also does not. I do not believe in these things in the same way that I do not believe that there are "rules"  to follow for the perfect script.

Panni

« Reply #118 on: March 10, 2004, 05:14:51 PM »

Jenny - You're smart and talented. You may try to hide this from your "peers" -- but they smell it the way a shark smells blood. I know this isn't of much comfort today when you feel rotten, but you should look on it as a badge of honor that some of these little MITs (Morons in Training) don't like you. They're afraid of you, they're jealous of you. You represent something they don't understand - but at some very basic level know is better than they are or can ever hope to be.
I'm sure you have a few very special friends who understand and appreciate you (Maya for one?). They may not be classmates, which is too bad, but they exist. Think about it... Would you rather be You - lovely, lively, super-intelligent, talented Jenny - and be disliked by the kids who spend serious time discussing flavored condoms; Or would you rather be one of them?

They do exist, of course, but I doubt you'll meet too many adults in the arts who had blissful childhoods with tons of friends who adored them. Artists are loners. We look in the window from outside. We interpret the world for the rest of them. Just as you did when you wrote down your thoughts about your terrible day.
Rejoice in who you are, Jenny!

Panni

« Reply #119 on: March 10, 2004, 05:23:41 PM »

BTW Jenny - If you want to read about a smart, talented kid who was way different, had a few very select friends and was regarded as a bit of a Martian by the rest of the world (although he maintained that it was the rest of the world who were the Martians) -- and who grew up to be an artist, read the Kritzer books.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 05:25:52 PM by Panni »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6   Go Up