Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SHORT FUSE  (Read 23683 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SHORT FUSE
« on: March 10, 2004, 12:00:55 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes are embedded deep within you consciousness, you are at one with the notes, so post away, my pretties.

Here's me on a short fuse:

« Last Edit: March 11, 2004, 12:01:33 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE SHORT FUSE
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 12:08:16 AM »

Well, I logged on just 'cause it's nice to be able to -- and that little red creature made me laugh. That said, goodnight, all.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 12:13:49 AM »

Dear esteemed BK: If you are on a short fuse, I cannot recommend dining at the Hamburger Hamlet on Sunset.  They do not serve fusion food.  I don't recall that they serve anything resembling Atkins either, but I could be wrong there.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 12:43:39 AM »

DR W Orr: Joe is right, when you see him later today you must be very teflon for him.  He's in the wrong environment to have to face grief.  Later will have to suffice, for both of you.

I am greatly saddened by the reactions of so much of Joe's family.  There are some people who cannot be changed, however, so we must live around them.

Strong supportive waves to you and Joe.

[size=20][move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move][/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 12:47:47 AM »

This, from the IMDB bio on Paul Winfield:

His partner of 30 years, set designer and architect Charles Gillan Jr., has died of a rare bone disease in LA. [5 March 2002]

Sad, yet fitting, that Winfield died two years later almost to the day.  How often do we hear of Hollywood couples lasting thirty years?

Oh, we didn't hear of this couple, did we.   :'(

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 12:50:51 AM »

All right, BK, in light of my last post:

What Hollywood couples do you most admire?  (Excluding those where one or both partners are involved with this site, of course.  We automatically assume you admire all of us.   ::))

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2004, 01:45:17 AM »

I'm either up very late or very early.  You decide.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2004, 02:17:32 AM »

Very early, JMK!

On my way to the airport, so no questions for Mr BK.

My condolences & thoughts to WFO and Joe! See everybody tomorrow night.  Sorry it's not Sattidy MATTH, but I may larn a thang or two nonetheless.

Watch the news MBARNUM!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2004, 04:15:06 AM »

Good morning, all!  I hope for DRS WFO and George that today is one more step in healing.

Dearest BK, I'm sorry your fuse is about to blow.  Would that I were driving down Sunset Blvd with you, on our way to see a movie or show, listening to your rant until your equilibrium is restored.  Maybe we could drive through an earthquake again or see a movie at the Directors Guild, or go to Du-Pars for pancakes.  This leads to a rant question. since I've witnessed several stunners and been on the receiving end of a couple:  if the day on LOST IN BOSTON 1, when everything crashed and work was lost while that moronic overweight lady kept challenging you and justifying her studio's quality, was a 10 on a rant scale of 10, where on this scale is today's hurlyburly?

It's 7:15 am here, I'm listening to Buffy Sainte-Marie sing "The Circle Game," which I first heard in the film THE STRAWBERRY STATEMENT.  It's 60s and early  70s songs today, folks.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2004, 04:38:31 AM »

On the Paul Simon album Lanny Myers was billed as Lan88 how come?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2004, 04:52:21 AM »

SHORT FUSE!

Reminds me of one of the punchlines in the film version of The Producers.
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2004, 06:01:08 AM »

Speaking of THE PRODUCERS, my question for today would be: What is the worst-case scenario CASTING you can think up for the stage musical?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2004, 06:36:49 AM »

BK - Did you know the first season of P&T's BULLSHIT was released on DVD last week?  Maybe that will help lengthen your fuse.

Any word on when the Larry Blank interview will be up for our reading pleasure?  In the 70s when I was business manager of Buffalo's Studio Arena Theatre, Larry was MD for several of our productions including Bonnie Franklin as PETER PAN.  While I was thrilled that Bonnie became a big sitcom star, it's a shame she didn't do more Broadway.  As for Larry, he was a hell of a nice guy and I am glad that he has been so successful.

For ask BK day --- or any DR who may have the answer:

I was under the impression that when movies are shown today they are on one big reel and shown on one projector instead of being on several 18 minute reels and alternating between projectors.  If that is true, why do they still have the "reel change dots" in the upper right corner every eighteen minutes?

Also, it used to be that theatres tried to get as many showings a day of a film in.  This was what led to the butchering of Garland's A STAR IS BORN - so there could be an additional showing each day.  Now, however, there is often 45 minutes to an hour between the end of one show and the start of the next.  Since most theatres are so small and the theatre is usually empty before the end of the credits anyway, they certainly don't need the time to empty, clean and fill the theatre between showings.  An extra showing a day could easily be fit in if the between-show time was cut to around ten or fifteen minutes.  So why don't they take advantage of this?  If a theatre could fit in five showings a day of a film instead of four they could easily raise their income up to 20% on a hit.  Does anyone know the reasoning behind all the extra time between films at most theatres today?

Casting for THE PRODUCERS - If Neil Simon can do a reverse sex ODD COUPLE howabout Rosie as Max and Ellen as Leo?  You could get B D Wong as Ula, KD Lang as Roger, Melissa Etheridge as Carmen and Angelina Jolie as Franz.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2004, 06:48:17 AM »

I just read something interesting on a gossip site. Three of the four AMERICAN IDOL contestants who were set apart last night at the beginning of the show are actually the judges' choices for the finals, and this twist will be revealed tonight. America voted last night only for their one wild card slot. Supposedly, Lisa, Eric, and the other girl who sat out last night's competition are going to be picked tonight by the judges. (Marque was eliminated.)
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2004, 07:12:13 AM »

All this mention of Paul Winfield and for the life of me I couldn't picture who he was! But then I found out he was on the TV show Julia and it all came back to me! I am sure I have seen him in other things as well, but that show always sticks in my mind...one of my favorites as a kid!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2004, 07:46:45 AM »

Good Morning!

Do I have to drive up to DC this afternoon?  HUH?  Do I have-ta?

DR Matt H - I had heard the same thing about tonight's "American Idol" twist.  And, actually, it makes sense.  The public will again finalize the final three or two, then the top vote getter will be announced.  Then each judge will announce their favorite - and from some of the "set-ups" last night, it's just sadistic enough a stunt for the producers to pull.  *I thought last night's eliminations were downright mean - but if there is a chance of redemption, then, who knows?  Although, that still means that one person of the four who was eliminated at the top of the show last night will still not get passed on.  -But I think you mentioned that Marque would not get passed on anyway, so... We shall see.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]ramble, ramble, ramble, ramble...[/move]

But as long as this stunt insures that Leah will not get passed on, that's all that matters with me.  I didn't like her before, and I certainly didn't like her last night - and if they wanted to point out someone's wardrobe, they should have remarked about hers - a puffy skirt over jeans?  It looked like they pulled them off the Clearance racks at Wal-Mart - from two different years!

DR WEL - A friend of mine manages a multi-plex, and he explained to me that it has to with the fire safety laws - thus the staggered start times.  Now if a theatre complex has only one or two screens, then the turnaround time can be quicker, but with all these mega-complexes, they have to consider just how much "traffic" there will be at all times - in the bathrooms, at the ticket counter, at the snack bar, etc.  *The downtime between showings also gives the projector a chance to rest.  And on the economic and publicity side, it's better to have five, sold out showings of a movie on a single screen, rather than six (or seven) half-full showings.
Make Your Own Luck.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2004, 08:19:50 AM »

MBarnum:  I have a confession to make:  I was a childhood tv theme junkie.  One of my faves was "Julia," with all those nice recorders.  No joke:  I had two piano lessons a week back in those days, my private lesson (which was at some ung-dly hour before school) and a group theory lesson on Tuesday nights, which ended too late for me to get home to hear "Julia" (I didn't care about the show--it was the theme I needed!!).  I remember very well screaming at my parents one night, "When am I ever going to have to know about double-flats?" in a futile attempt to get them to let me out of my theory hell.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2004, 08:25:24 AM »

Dear BK, I have another question for you.  Today I picked up the new 2-disc ALICE IN WONDERLAND from Disney.  When does the studio plan to release CINDERELLA to DVD?  It seems to me one biggie still waiting.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2004, 08:25:54 AM »

They still use changeover marks on film because there are still theaters that project conventionally, and because the film is not shipped to the multiplexes on one big reel - it's shipped on 2000 foot reels like always, and they mount them at the theaters.

I'm editing the Larry Blank interview and it's just gone slower than planned - we'll get it up by Friday or Monday.

I don't know any Hollywood couples, but certainly would vote for the long-lasting duo of Paul Newman and Joanne Woodward, along with my friends Richard and Margaret.

Today's short fuse isn't like the LIB type rant.  It's not rant-oriented.  I don't go to the rant place a lot, but when I do, I suppose it's not pretty.  It takes a lot to get me there, though.

While Lanny has never really told me the reason for Lan88 (sometimes he's just plain peculiar) I think it had something to do with some problems he was having at the time, and he didn't want his full name on albums for awhile.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2004, 08:27:07 AM »

I think Cinderella will be coming - they're very slow and methodical, but I'd bet in the next year, maybe sooner.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2004, 08:37:29 AM »

DR Matt H - I had heard the same thing about tonight's "American Idol" twist.  And, actually, it makes sense.  The public will again finalize the final three or two, then the top vote getter will be announced.  Then each judge will announce their favorite - and from some of the "set-ups" last night, it's just sadistic enough a stunt for the producers to pull.  *I thought last night's eliminations were downright mean - but if there is a chance of redemption, then, who knows?  Although, that still means that one person of the four who was eliminated at the top of the show last night will still not get passed on.  -But I think you mentioned that Marque would not get passed on anyway, so... We shall see.

Something's wrong with this scenario.  Last night, when Paula was getting all over Simon for dissing Leah's performance, Simon said to Paula, "You can always put her forward as YOUR choice".  And Paula agreed.

Given the "gossip item" about them having already selected three of the discarded four, that comment, at the very least, tells me the judges MIGHT change their minds.

I considered last night that they might not be restricted to the "final 8", but the idea that they won't pick from those who performed negates Simon's remark to Paula...and I don't think Simon would have said something that wasn't possible.
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 08:39:10 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2004, 08:56:05 AM »

Something's wrong with this scenario.  Last night, when Paula was getting all over Simon for dissing Leah's performance, Simon said to Paula, "You can always put her forward as YOUR choice".  And Paula agreed.

Given the "gossip item" about them having already selected three of the discarded four, that comment, at the very least, tells me the judges MIGHT change their minds.

I considered last night that they might not be restricted to the "final 8", but the idea that they won't pick from those who performed negates Simon's remark to Paula...and I don't think Simon would have said something that wasn't possible.

I caught that possible "slip" last night too.  Interesting, very interesting...  And if each judge truly got to pick their own, individual favorite - and least favorite - then there's still a chance that one of the four eliminated ones could get a reprieve.

However, we do know that the public will be pick one, and each judge will each pick one for a total of four contestants to go to the final 12.  We'll just have to see who ends up getting picked.

The only other possible "hint" I did wonder about was keeping the four eliminees in the front row of the audience for the rest of the show.  Hmmm...

Also, I'm trying to think back to the wording used last night... Did Ryan Seacrest say that those four would not go past tonight, or did he just say that those four would not sing tonight (last night).

Again, we shall see.

-And, yes, I have yet to start packing for my trip up to DC.. and eventually to NYC...
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 08:58:14 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2004, 08:57:03 AM »

Bizarre casting for The Producers?

Kelsey Grammer as Max
David Hyde Pierce as Leo
Bebe Neuwirth as Ula

And if I ever have two dogs, I think I'll call them Bialystok and Bloom.

Last great meal? Our close friend Clarke died just a year ago, and as a farewell dinner he took us to Scaramouche, one of Toronto's best-established and most expensivo restaurants. The portions are ample and the food imaginative but not of the lamb-poutine-tapas-fusion variety. Scaramouche is at one of the highest points in the city and we had the best window table, looking out at icicled trees and down at the skyline

Many of the ingredients are from Ontario. I remember having a beet salad with four varieties of beets, and fish - exquisitely fresh and simply presented.  

http://www.toprestaurants.com/Toronto/Scaramouche.htm

P.S. I haven't had the nerve to try it, but Clarke gave us this tip. He said he got the best table in the house by explaining, when he made the reservation, that it would be his last meal at the restaurant. (Note to concerned Kimlets: I'm fine. I'm fine.)
« Last Edit: March 10, 2004, 09:03:12 AM by Dan-in-Toronto »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #23 on: March 10, 2004, 09:01:17 AM »

Finally, some food!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2004, 09:03:35 AM »

DR RLP: The way the judges' phrased it to the three I mentioned (Tiara Purifoy was the other) was, "You won't be singing tonight." That doesn't say eliminated at all.

I see what you're saying, but SImon could merely have said that to mislead the audience, too. Put nothing past those people to keep things jumping at AMERICAN IDOL.

Like DR Jose, I could take almost anyone from last night except Leah. I cannot for the life of me understand their enthusiasm for her, at least Randy and Paula's gushing. Simon, as usual, seems to have a more balanced look at her talents.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #25 on: March 10, 2004, 09:03:54 AM »

Here's something everyone ought to take notice of -- it's about music and how "personal" it has become:

http://www.liquidgeneration.com/rumormill/ipod_killing.html
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #26 on: March 10, 2004, 09:06:48 AM »

DR RLP: The way the judges' phrased it to the three I mentioned (Tiara Purifoy was the other) was, "You won't be singing tonight." That doesn't say eliminated at all.

I see what you're saying, but SImon could merely have said that to mislead the audience, too. Put nothing past those people to keep things jumping at AMERICAN IDOL.

It could also mean their decisions were not locked beyond the possibility of changing their minds, individually or collectively.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #27 on: March 10, 2004, 09:09:41 AM »

OK - Now I have to ask...

Did I miss the big announcement about the big sales in tarnation today?  Is everyone out shopping?

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #28 on: March 10, 2004, 09:10:47 AM »

I have a long history with the Hamburger Hamlet, the one at the west end of the Sunset Strip, where Beverly Hills begins.

I think we ate there with my grandparents the first time they visited us in California.  I recall my grandmother, who'd never previously had anything positive to say about a restaurant other than the Tip-Toe Inn on the Upper West Side, being impressed by it.

In high school, we'd sometimes go there after rehearsals or shows.  (Although there was always the suggestion "Ships is a nice place."  Its sign still stands, if not its building, with the toasters at every table.)  I knew the menu well, and, in those adolescent days of gags about all things gay, I had the balls to order something called "The Sissy Grille."  This involved a hot dog, split in two.  Friends ridiculed me mercilessly for this order, but at least they were friends.  Around the same time, Barney's Beanery had matches that had their name, logo, phone number, and the catchy slogan "No faggots."  I kid you not.

Thinking of the present, when comedians have so much fun with the gay marriage issue, (Remember, President Bush thinks the country can be improved by a constitutional ban.) I keep coming back to the WFO and Joe situation.  I believe that if WFO was Joe's legal spouse, more headway would be made in getting the needed medical attention.   And maybe even time out for the funeral.  It makes me angry, and ashamed about how slow this country is to grant freedom and equality to all - the promise of its originators.

Short fuse.  Anger.  I must channel this into something productive.  So, now, I'll try to write another page of my show about America not keeping that promise.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #29 on: March 10, 2004, 09:10:54 AM »

Good morning. Again. I'm still getting used to this "new and improved " AOL 9.0 set-up. One of the "improvements" is that if I open another window - eg. Google something - HHW disappears and I have to log on all over again. Which is what just happened. On the couples front. I just now asked the DRs something about Charles Boyer, but decided to look it up before I posted. Mistake. So, I'll just ask... I read last night that Charles Boyer committed suicide the day after his wife's death. Tragic, but sadly romantic. Is it true?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up