Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Down

Author Topic: LISTEN TO THE RAIN ON THE ROOF  (Read 25067 times)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
Re: LISTEN TO THE RAIN ON THE ROOF
« Reply #30 on: February 07, 2009, 05:50:27 AM »

Thanks for the link, DR BEN!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: February 07, 2009, 06:22:54 AM »

BK-

Have You Decided on a title for your new book?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: February 07, 2009, 06:32:01 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late, to be awakened by an Amazon.com shipment. So, I decided I'd slept long enough, bathed, and had my oatmeal. I believe that most of the day I'll be working on final edits for BABES IN TOYLAND, until I get bored and breakdown to defrost the refrigerator. First, this week's meds.

The week on the Cast Recordng List they were passing around links to sites with 10" lps and children's recordings and I spent some time last night downloading three recordings, Carol Chaning's funny revue SHOW GIRL which includes her history of musical comedy with its great Rodgers & Hammerstein parody ("This was a darn fine funeral"), Ginger Rogers' recording of ALICE IN WONDERLAND, and the New York City Ballet Orchestra's recording of Hershy Kay's Balanchine ballet WESTERN SYMPHONY. Of Hershy's three great City Ballet scores, the other two being STARS AND STRIPES and CAKEWALK, this one has never been released on CD.

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

MBarnum

« Reply #33 on: February 07, 2009, 06:44:49 AM »

DR Tomovoz, please be very careful! We don't want any roasted Aussies! Take care, ok!

MBarnum

« Reply #34 on: February 07, 2009, 06:45:33 AM »

I went to bed around 8pm last night so I am up very, very early this Saturday morning...I hope to get lots of movie watching today...now, off to Havana with John and Cesar!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #35 on: February 07, 2009, 07:05:57 AM »

Mr. Morelli is appearing at the world-famous

Fireside Dinner Theatre
I love that bit of lilt in the recorded introduction to the site!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #36 on: February 07, 2009, 07:06:25 AM »

LOTS OF LOVE TO VIXMOM!!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2009, 07:08:15 AM »

Smoke-Free Vibes to Tomovoz

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Laura

« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2009, 07:11:46 AM »

Tom, how very very frightening. My prayers are with you.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2009, 07:14:25 AM »

I asked Mr. Goldstein if I could take the girls to the arboretum today, but he said no, there's a big storm coming. I wouldn't know it if he hadn't told me. I have no headache this time. According to Accuweather.com, the storm's edge is approaching the CA/AZ border.

Laura

« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2009, 07:19:04 AM »

TOD: Several years ago, we had two forest fires in the norther part of Arizona, both human caused, that were really bad. They eventually joined together, which made it even worse. I was called for disaster relief work, but I had to turn it down because I had plans to go visit DR Megan. Instead, I was on the team to go up and evaluate. There were still smoky spots and the fire wasn't completely out (but had gone through the area we were in). It must have been terrifying to be there when the fires were burning.

Laura

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2009, 07:31:15 AM »

TOD: A few years ago we had a microburst here during a monsoon storm. I would have been terrified if I hadn't been so fascinated.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2009, 07:34:03 AM »

TOD...

I can't remember what year it was, exactly.  I do know I was living in Fullerton, Orange County, CA.  I hadn't met der B yet.  And it was Christmas.

The family was gathering at my parent's place, in Sonora, CA.  I was going to take the train up to Modesto, which was as close as I could get, and Dad was going to pick me up and drive me in the rest of the way.  My sister was driving westward from Oklahoma, where she was teaching college-level geography.

Or, at least, that was the plan.

Unfortunately, somewhere along the line, I think in Arizona, my sister managed to flip her car over on the highway.  She totalled the car.  Dad had to drive down and find her, and drive her the rest of the way to the homestead.

So, instead of Dad picking me up, the job was left to Mom.  Grandma, who was living with my parents, would simply have to cope on her own for the few hours Mom was away.  At that time, she was still healthy enough to cope pretty well.

The problem was, that particular Christmas was a stormy one.  We got hit by rain, and I mean a constant downpour, the night Mom drove to Modesto to pick me up.  And it's all country roads, dark and windy. 

I'd packed light, fortunately, so it didn't take but a moment to move my bag into the car when Mom arrived at the train station.  (Did I mention that I love trains?  I love trains.)  And we started the trek to the homestead in Sonora.

And the rain poured down.

And down.

And down some more.

And the roads were windey, and we couldn't see very well, and there were spots where we slowed down to ten MPH trying to see where the road was.

And that's a good thing, because all of a sudden Mom hit the brakes.

There was a cow in the middle of the road.

The cow was just standing there.  I suppose she was trying to figure out what to do with all this rain coming down.  She was caught in our headlights, and just stared at us. 

We stared right back.

There really wasn't anything else we could do.

Honking at the cow wasn't going to change the situation.  I've yet to encounter a cow that reacted to a honk from a car horn.  Really, I haven't.

So we all waited a few minutes.  The rain was really coming down, and Mom and I were kind of sorry for the cow, having to stand there in the pelting rain like she was.  Not that we were going to invite her into the car, mind you.

Eventually, the rain let up a bit, and the cow decided to move on, out of our way.  We drove past her, and never saw her again.

Now, wasn't that exciting!

Oh, Dad and my sister arrived at the homestead the next day.  No cows in their story.  She, of course, had to make her experience the more exciting and dramatic, and poo-pooed our tale as meaningless.

Grandma was just glad that we were all safe.

And, later, after we had all tired of my sister's tale of woe, she pulled me aside and said "That cow was sure lucky!"

The End.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2009, 07:39:41 AM »

Hello, everyone.

I'm doing laundry. Nothing changes, huh?

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2009, 07:41:40 AM »

Continued healing vibes to Vixmom and Laura's DS.

Vibes of safety and good health to DR Tomovoz.

Renovation vibes to DR Danise.

General-purpose vibes to all.

Laura

« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2009, 07:42:23 AM »

I've yet to encounter a cow that reacted to a honk from a car horn.  Really, I haven't.

I have. That time a couple years ago at Crawdad Camp when we slid around in the mud. I got out of the car and ran flailing my arms and yelling. They (the cows) looked at me like I was a nut (no comments, please) and sauntered off the muddy road.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #46 on: February 07, 2009, 07:48:02 AM »

I've yet to encounter a cow that reacted to a honk from a car horn.  Really, I haven't.

I have. That time a couple years ago at Crawdad Camp when we slid around in the mud. I got out of the car and ran flailing my arms and yelling. They (the cows) looked at me like I was a nut (no comments, please) and sauntered off the muddy road.

You'd think they could have at least offered a rope and pulled you out of the mud.

Cows.  Can't live with 'em, can't have milk without 'em.  What can I say.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #47 on: February 07, 2009, 07:50:59 AM »

Good morning!

COld but beautiful, and it's warming up into the 60s by midafternoon, so it will be a pretty day. I'll be inside working, but I may be able to step on the porch for some fresh air while cooking lunch.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2009, 07:52:39 AM »

Crossed fingers and good thoughts to DR Tomovoz and Colin in enduring this natural calamity.

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2009, 07:53:33 AM »

I've decided I'll watch SUPERNATURAL today while I eat lunch. Then it'll be back to FRIDAY THE 13th - THE SERIES.

Cillaliz

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2009, 07:59:19 AM »

We were on "urgent" notice a couple of hours ago.  We are now downgraded to "alert". the knowledge that fires are so close is even scarier at night.  Colin and I went through this 25 years ago - in some ways it makes it worse. 

Thank you for your thoughts DRs.  There will be no sleep tonight.

Many vibes to DR TOMOVOZ.

I have never been through this sort of fire, but years ago, when I lived in the country the farmer across the street did a "Controlled burn" with absolutely no control.  There was a wall of flames that was right across the road from my house.  I was terrified.  I still remember it like it was yesterday,. The fire department came out and said "This was registered as a controlled burn" and turn around and left.  They burned acres that day. Luckily no houses.   Somewhere I have a photo of the fire truck leaving and the flames are shooting higher than the firetruck

Laura

« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2009, 07:59:58 AM »

The Big Storm 09
(Still no headache)

Matt H.

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2009, 08:01:02 AM »

Worst weather story.

While I was still teaching, it began snowing really hard early one morning after I had gotten to school. The kids were already there, but the day had barely begun when school officials canceled school and the buses began arriving to take the kids back home. Of course, we had to stay until all kids were gone, but they were all gone by 10 a.m. However, school officials wouldn't let teachers leave until noon.

Now, I lived almost 40 miles to the north of where I taught, and I begged my principal to let me leave; the radio reports were describing how bad the roads were, and I knew it would take me hours to get home driving 15-20 mph. No dice. Around noon, they finally let us go. Snow was still falling heavily and it was also some sleet mixed in which made the roads even more treacherous. Anyway, I was driving very slowly and at about 10 miles out of town, a car fairly far ahead of me jammed on brakes and, naturally, began sliding and weaving all over the road. It startled me so much I touched my breaks and my car began to do likewise. I was turning the wheel trying to regain control of the car (not having much experience driving in extreme weather and with no chains on my tires), but my car was sliding ever closer to a ravine with a big dropoff into a rather large creek. I was PETRIFIED. I continued trying to get the car under control and thankfully, the car began going across the road into the median instead where it came to a stop facing in the opposite direction I had been driving.

I had to wait about an hour for someone to come along with a chain to pull me out of the median, but thankfully that happened, and I got home with no further problems. For a minute, though, I was sure my car was going to be at the bottom of that creek.

Laura

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2009, 08:02:20 AM »

That's a SCARY story, DR Matt!!!!

Laura

« Reply #54 on: February 07, 2009, 08:04:41 AM »

Well, I suppose I should take advantage of this rainy day and do something.

Matt H.

« Reply #55 on: February 07, 2009, 08:05:00 AM »

That's a SCARY story, DR Matt!!!!

I was more scared during that than during Hurricane Hugo in 1989 though after I saw the devastation Hugo wrought to the city (trees through people's houses, roofs torn off; I had two downed branches in my yard), I should have been much more terrified of Hugo. Now, the slightest wind makes me tremble in fear of the two huge pine trees I have in my front yard.

DAW

« Reply #56 on: February 07, 2009, 08:05:23 AM »

TOD:

The big ice storm that hit Connecticut in the 70's - don't remember what year.  We were without electricity and heat for over a week.  EVERYTHING shut down.  What did we know?  We were kids, and it was fun.

DAW

« Reply #57 on: February 07, 2009, 08:05:51 AM »

Getting ready to head out to the HD broadcast of Lucia from the Met.

Cillaliz

« Reply #58 on: February 07, 2009, 08:09:09 AM »

TOD - When I was about 7 or 8 years old we were in a tornado.  I remember being at my Aunt and Uncle's house at the lake and we were grilling burgers when my dad arrived and said he had driven in from the West and had seen a tornado.  We turned on the radio to a local station. they had a weather man named Eldon Kanago, but we called him "tornado Kanago" because he had this deep frightening tone to his voice and played some sounds effects in the background.

anyway, they didn't have a basment so when he said "TAKE SHELTER NOW!!!!  TAKE SHELTER NOW!!!!" my dad and Uncle went outside to watch.  My grandmother and aunt took me to the neighbors saying "We've got to get this little girl somewhere safe" (I don't remember that, my mom does)  I got very worried about my dad and I ran upstairs and outside draggin Mrs. Beasley along with me.   When I got outside there was a tornado on the other side of the lake (about a mile or two away)  I will never forget seeing that.  It didn't hit where we were but did a lot of damage nearby.

Cillaliz

« Reply #59 on: February 07, 2009, 08:14:04 AM »

Let's see, when I was living at the lake in the late 90s, we had another huge storm. This time it was looking awful out. The predictions were for hail and tornados.  When the sirens went off, I wrapped Petey,. my cat, in a blanket grabbed a new laptop, my purse and a radio and headed to the basement.  The warnings were dire so for the first time I went under the stairs.   All of a sudden I started hearing the softball sized hail crashing into my house!  I could hear breaking glass, it was very frightening. 

The hail damaged my roof, siding, all the eaves troughs, broke the windows out on the north side of my house and even poked holes in the mini blinds. 
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 13   Go Up