Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE  (Read 22854 times)

DAW

Re: WHAT'S GOOD FOR THE GOOSE
« Reply #120 on: February 17, 2009, 11:15:08 AM »

***CONTINUED DON'T-GET-SICK VIBES***
for bk!!!!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: February 17, 2009, 11:18:06 AM »

Can some knowledgeable DR(s) cite reference books that discuss songs in Broadway musicals by "other than" composers credited for same in the programs and on the OCRs?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #122 on: February 17, 2009, 11:21:27 AM »

An idle thought:

Isn't it time for a new Guy Haines album?

Ben

« Reply #123 on: February 17, 2009, 11:21:54 AM »

I have a pay as you go phone (TracFone). I bought it in August. Anthony bought one at the same time because he was going to Wisconsin and the Actor House has no land lines (because almost every actor has a cell phone). I bought a year of service on my phone and it has double minutes for the life of the phone. Between the bonus minutes (for buying a year's service) and other time I began the phone's life with 1200 minutes. I still have 1095 minutes which shows you how much I use it. I rarely give out the number and rarely use the phone. It's for emergencies or when I absolutely need to call someone and there is no other phone. Everyone who knows me knows to call the land line. I will never get rid of my land line, as I've said many times, because when we had the big blackout in 2003 we (and another neighbor) were only people in our building with phone service after everyone's cell phones had died. Our power was out for 29 hours but because we had a land line we had a phone.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: February 17, 2009, 11:22:38 AM »

I've got my meds, I've been to the library, I've contacted Samuel French about McGlinn's death, and I've work to do on THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.

DR RonPulliam, regarding your book inquiry; do you mean a book that discusses things like what songs Jerry Herman didn't write for HELLO DOLLY!?
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Laura

« Reply #125 on: February 17, 2009, 11:26:43 AM »

Has anyone here attached one of those converter boxes? DR Sandra is having trouble.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #126 on: February 17, 2009, 11:27:14 AM »

Bruce, did you see that your Kritzerland e-blast is kind of wonky?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #127 on: February 17, 2009, 11:29:45 AM »

DR Sandra is having trouble.

DR Sandra IS trouble.

;D

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #128 on: February 17, 2009, 11:55:40 AM »

It's not wonky for me - but I know some browsers have problems.  Can someone please post the release info to castrecl?

TWO VERY RARE SCORES MAKE THEIR CD DEBUT!

Kritzerland is proud to present its newest limited edition CD – the incidental music to two Broadway plays – by Alex North and Laurence Rosenthal.

DEATH OF A SALESMAN  Music by Alex North

“Attention must be paid,” and sixty years ago, on February 10, 1949, attention was paid, instantly and loudly when Arthur Miller’s Death Of A Salesman opened on Broadway at the Morosco Theatre.  It ran over 700 performances and was an instant sensation, garnering Tony Awards for Best Play, Author, Director, Supporting Actor, Set Design, Producer, as well as winning the Pulitzer Prize.  The incidental music for the Broadway production was written by Alex North, who would, of course, go on to work with Salesman’s director, Elia Kazan on several more projects, including the film of A Streetcar Named Desire.  The music is classic North, scored for a very small ensemble that somehow never seems small, but just seems right.  He would later use many of the themes in the film version, but there’s something about these lean and spare original versions that are haunting and wonderful.

RASHOMON  Music by Laurence Rosenthal

Rashomon began life as two short stories by noted Japanese writer Ryunosuke Akutagawa. They were famously adapted for the screen by Akira Kurosawa in 1950.  The film won an Academy Award and became an instant classic, the film telling the same story from multiple viewpoints.  In 1959, Fay and Michael Kanin adapted Rashomon for the stage, using many elements from the Kurosawa film that were not present in the short stories.  The Broadway production ran for 159 performances.  The cast featured the then husband-and-wife team of Claire Bloom and Rod Steiger, and the supporting cast featured Oscar Homolka, Akim Tamiroff, and Ruth White, among others, and the director was Peter Glenville.  Laurence Rosenthal provided the striking incidental music, which has a Japanese flavor, but filtered through Rosenthal’s brilliant musical sensibilities.  Rosenthal would go on to score many classic films, such as A Raisin In The Sun, The Miracle Worker, and three films by Rashomon director Glenville, Hotel Paradiso, The Comedians, and the classic, Becket.

A note on the sources:  The Rashomon source material was in excellent condition and is presented in stereo.  Death Of A Salesman was mastered from disc – several copies were used and all suffered from the same sound anomalies.  Our mastering engineer has done the best possible job in cleaning up the sound, but the fact remains that the sound on Death Of A Salesman is archival in nature – but we felt that releasing the music far outweighed the less than optimal sound.  We hope you agree.  Due to the archival nature of Death Of A Salesman, we are offering this CD at a special lower price.  A must for both theatre and film score fans!

The CD runs almost sixty minutes and the special price is $15.98 plus shipping.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.

CDs will ship the second week of March – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to three weeks ahead of the street date.

To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com

JMK

« Reply #129 on: February 17, 2009, 12:10:12 PM »

Well, I"ve opened the email in 3 different browsers now (IE, Safari and Firefox) and on all of them your album cover completely masks what looks like the text of the first paragraph (which may be the same as the text that's underneath).  Also at the top, above the album cover, it says in big bold letters MESSAGE 1 HEADLINE.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #130 on: February 17, 2009, 12:27:52 PM »

Just got my big new FSM/SAE shipment.  Now, I'm as big of a soundtrack geek as anyone, but even I am not geeky enough to collect the composer cards that Lukas sends along.  They kind of make me laugh.

JMK

« Reply #131 on: February 17, 2009, 12:29:29 PM »

I have posted to CASTRECL.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #132 on: February 17, 2009, 12:29:52 PM »

It's not wonky for me - but I know some browsers have problems.  Can someone please post the release info to castrecl?

TWO VERY RARE SCORES MAKE THEIR CD DEBUT!

Kritzerland is proud to present its newest limited edition CD – the incidental music to two Broadway plays – by Alex North and Laurence Rosenthal.

DEATH OF A SALESMAN  Music by Alex North

“Attention must be paid,” and sixty years ago, on February 10, 1949, attention was paid, instantly and loudly when Arthur Miller’s Death Of A Salesman opened on Broadway at the Morosco Theatre.  It ran over 700 performances and was an instant sensation, garnering Tony Awards for Best Play, Author, Director, Supporting Actor, Set Design, Producer, as well as winning the Pulitzer Prize.  The incidental music for the Broadway production was written by Alex North, who would, of course, go on to work with Salesman’s director, Elia Kazan on several more projects, including the film of A Streetcar Named Desire.  The music is classic North, scored for a very small ensemble that somehow never seems small, but just seems right.  He would later use many of the themes in the film version, but there’s something about these lean and spare original versions that are haunting and wonderful.

RASHOMON  Music by Laurence Rosenthal

Rashomon began life as two short stories by noted Japanese writer Ryunosuke Akutagawa. They were famously adapted for the screen by Akira Kurosawa in 1950.  The film won an Academy Award and became an instant classic, the film telling the same story from multiple viewpoints.  In 1959, Fay and Michael Kanin adapted Rashomon for the stage, using many elements from the Kurosawa film that were not present in the short stories.  The Broadway production ran for 159 performances.  The cast featured the then husband-and-wife team of Claire Bloom and Rod Steiger, and the supporting cast featured Oscar Homolka, Akim Tamiroff, and Ruth White, among others, and the director was Peter Glenville.  Laurence Rosenthal provided the striking incidental music, which has a Japanese flavor, but filtered through Rosenthal’s brilliant musical sensibilities.  Rosenthal would go on to score many classic films, such as A Raisin In The Sun, The Miracle Worker, and three films by Rashomon director Glenville, Hotel Paradiso, The Comedians, and the classic, Becket.

A note on the sources:  The Rashomon source material was in excellent condition and is presented in stereo.  Death Of A Salesman was mastered from disc – several copies were used and all suffered from the same sound anomalies.  Our mastering engineer has done the best possible job in cleaning up the sound, but the fact remains that the sound on Death Of A Salesman is archival in nature – but we felt that releasing the music far outweighed the less than optimal sound.  We hope you agree.  Due to the archival nature of Death Of A Salesman, we are offering this CD at a special lower price.  A must for both theatre and film score fans!

The CD runs almost sixty minutes and the special price is $15.98 plus shipping.

This release is limited to 1000 copies only.

CDs will ship the second week of March – however, preorders placed directly through Kritzerland usually ship one to three weeks ahead of the street date.

To place an order, see the cover, or hear audio samples, just visit www.kritzerland.com

Didn't I order this? I think I did!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #133 on: February 17, 2009, 12:50:38 PM »

I've got my meds, I've been to the library, I've contacted Samuel French about McGlinn's death, and I've work to do on THE MOST HAPPY FELLA.

DR RonPulliam, regarding your book inquiry; do you mean a book that discusses things like what songs Jerry Herman didn't write for HELLO DOLLY!?

...and the ones he did write for A DAY IN HOLLYWOOD?A NIGHT IN THE UKRAINE...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #134 on: February 17, 2009, 12:54:59 PM »

Has anyone here attached one of those converter boxes? DR Sandra is having trouble.

DR Laura, this video might be of help...

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JMK

« Reply #135 on: February 17, 2009, 12:58:57 PM »

Question for BK and other cinephiles:  what are some films that use an object passing from owner to owner as their focus.  I know there's one about a gun which for the life of me I can't think of right now, but there must be others.  I'm starting my review of YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE, as if that weren't already obvious.  :)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #136 on: February 17, 2009, 12:59:09 PM »

...or it might not...
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #137 on: February 17, 2009, 01:01:50 PM »

Question for BK and other cinephiles:  what are some films that use an object passing from owner to owner as their focus.  I know there's one about a gun which for the life of me I can't think of right now, but there must be others.  I'm starting my review of YELLOW ROLLS ROYCE, as if that weren't already obvious.  :)

There was an episode of TWILIGHT ZONE or ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS about the passing of a gun.  Also, an ABC Movie of the Week which I'm pretty sure was simply called THE GUN.
-- Anaïs Nin

Laura

« Reply #138 on: February 17, 2009, 01:07:48 PM »

She said there were  very detailed directions on how to put the batteries in the remote; however, the instructions on how to install the converter box were in gibberish.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #139 on: February 17, 2009, 01:08:28 PM »

***SAFE DRIVING VIBES***
to DR SWW!!!!

Oh, I forgot to say this.:-[

DITTO!!!!

td

• td
« Reply #140 on: February 17, 2009, 01:09:44 PM »

Doesn't TALES OF MANHATTAN center on an overcoat which goes from owner to owner?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #141 on: February 17, 2009, 01:13:31 PM »

I already saw tonight's MENTALIST (for some reason they are playing it here on sundays).  And the CW shows are repeats again (what is up with that?).

On Thursday nights, it's manna from heaven.   Thursday is the heaviest night of the week for shows I want to watch.  "Bones", "Ugly Betty", "Smallville" and "Survivor" all air at the same time.  I can record two and watch one as it airs.  But which one to drop??

You could always watch one online?

We don't get the CW here so Smallville airs on a station called Suntv (thurs at 8pm). But it repeats on the weekends on our Space station.

You'll be okay this week because Smallville is a repeat again. I guess just hope that the shows have a different repeats schedule.

Plus Ugly Betty is going off for a while.

UGLY BETTY is going on hiatus but not for another month.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #142 on: February 17, 2009, 01:16:35 PM »

It is still very chilly outside, and if it gets to 50 today, I'll be surprised. The sun is out, but the air feels very cold.

Matt H.

« Reply #143 on: February 17, 2009, 01:23:16 PM »

The "Ring Around the Rosey" sequence in INVITATION TO THE DANCE. The EARRINGS of MADAME DE... also is in that vein. The gun story you referenced I think was an episode of ALFRED HITCHCOCK PRESENTS.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2009, 01:25:15 PM by Matt H. »

Matt H.

« Reply #144 on: February 17, 2009, 01:26:26 PM »

I watched last night's THE CLOSER while I ate lunch. I really enjoyed it, but everyone seemed to be SCREAMING during the first half of the show including Amy Sedaris as Fritz's sister and Lt. Tau, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #145 on: February 17, 2009, 01:29:05 PM »

I spent most of the afternoon on FACES. Well, it was quite a bit better than SHADOWS due mainly to much better actors. Filmed in the same way with cameras right in everyone's face. There is a lot of raucous laughter throughout the film for no reason. I couldn't figure out why these people are just constantly laughing like hyenas. Then, in the first bonus feature, I got my answer. John Cassavetes was interviewed by a French film crew in 1965 during the film's production, and at several times during the interview, he just burst into this maniacal laughter. So, for him, that was real life.

Matt H.

« Reply #146 on: February 17, 2009, 01:31:23 PM »

Gena Rowlands is drop dead gorgeous in the movie. John Marley is very good, and Lynn Carlin and Seymour Cassel got well deserved Oscar nominations. But the movie really isn't about very much, and at 130 minutes, it's VERY indulgent with scenes that go on way too long and lots of unnecessary scenes, too.

Ginny

« Reply #147 on: February 17, 2009, 01:31:48 PM »

The Red Violin
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

« Reply #148 on: February 17, 2009, 01:32:59 PM »

I got 1 1/2 of the bonus features watched. The first was the film's original opening which had some bar footage not in the finished picture (shows how John Marley met Gena Rowlands and picked her up) and some juxtiposing of a failed lovemaking session with the Marley character at work. Helped explain why he was out looking to pick up a woman in the first place.

Matt H.

« Reply #149 on: February 17, 2009, 01:34:40 PM »

As I mentioned, the other bonus feature is a two part interview with John Cassavetes. The first part was in 1965 while the film was in post production, filmed in Hollywood. The second part, which I'll watch when I go back downstairs, was done in Paris after the film's screening.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 10   Go Up