Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 58   Go Down

Author Topic: ON THE SUBJECT OF OSCAR  (Read 73560 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: ON THE SUBJECT OF OSCAR
« Reply #60 on: February 22, 2009, 09:38:03 AM »

Picture
Slumdog Millionaire    31%
 The Curious Case of Benjamin Button    20%
Milk    19%
Frost/Nixon    16%
The Reader    14%

Although Slumdog Millionaire has a lock on this award as it has won practically every other award. Milk might be the surprise winner as Academy has (I assume) many gay members and they just might vote for this film

DR Michael S - Yes, you "assume"... I know a couple of the "gay members" of The Academy, and not all of them thought/think that "Milk" was the Best Picture of last year.  Heck, if all of the gay members of The Academy "voted gay", then "Prop 8: The Musical" would have been included in the "Short Film, Live Action" category.

*And, heck, just think that if all the gay Tony voters - and I "assume" that there are quite number of them too - "voted gay", just think of how many more Tony's that Patti LuPone and Bernadette Peters would have by now?  ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:48:00 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #61 on: February 22, 2009, 09:41:34 AM »

Jose why is there a difference between who you want to win & who you think should?

The "I want" list is me at my most subjective - personal, sentimental(?) favorites. More or less longshots.

The "should" list is based on how I thought everyone stacked up against each other this past year. -I added a bit more "history" for the "will win" list.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #62 on: February 22, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »

DR Jose, for Original Screenplay, do you, like me, think that the Academy is going to honor WALL-E?

Yep - in part as a sort of consolation prize for not getting nominated in the "Best Picture" category.

*And I'm really hoping that "Kung-Fu Panda" does not come in and steal the prize from "WALL-E" in the Animated Feature.  -It's been interesting reading some of the "stuff" and "crap" that "caused" "Kung-Fu Panda" to win some of the other awards this season.

**Wow! that was a lot of "quotes" in that previous sentence. ;)
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 09:48:25 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

td

• td
« Reply #63 on: February 22, 2009, 09:46:44 AM »

Although Slumdog Millionaire has a lock on this award as it has won practically every other award. Milk might be the surprise winner as Academy has (I assume) many gay members and they just might vote for this film

Well. . . .If that were true, then CRASH would never have won for Best Picture a couple of years ago. 
Remember, you have Academy members like Ernest Borgnine (and to a lesser degree, Tony Curtis) who vehemently and vocally spoke out against BROKEBACK MOUNTAIN.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: February 22, 2009, 09:47:07 AM »

Trying to decide whether to go out and dither away a few hours.  Since I'm paying for the rental car (plus insurance) I feel like I should get some use out of it.

I get that same "feeling" whenever I'm staying and paying for a really nice hotel room. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Cillaliz

« Reply #65 on: February 22, 2009, 09:49:29 AM »

Cilla, did you also think Kate Winslet's performance is more deserving for THE READER?  I haven't seen either.
Well, I'm always a bit biased by whether I like a movie or not, and I didn't really like Revolutionary Road.  The Reader made me think and I like that in a movie.  If I really look at the characters, I suppose the Revolutionary Road was probably more difficult and she did a great job.  I hope she wins.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: February 22, 2009, 09:57:55 AM »

Had a nice, long sleep.  It's very gray out, but I'm still going to try and do the long jog about ten-thirty.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2009, 09:58:28 AM »

I've had some lunch, worked on some edits for those 1903 Babes, played at the computer and listened to the ZIEGFELFD FOLLIES OF 1936. I need to bid on a vocal score on eBay and then I head down to midtown for the movie.  So far, it's been a good day.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2009, 09:59:01 AM »

So, JMK is our first Oscar WUSSBURGER and for what?  Because of some auditions - on a SUNDAY?  I'm quite sure all that will be done by Oscar show time and hopefully he'll come to his senses and join the partay of the year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2009, 09:59:15 AM »

I think we had a fairly slow start last year, too.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: February 22, 2009, 09:59:17 AM »

Original Screenplay    
Milk 31%
Wall-E 21%
In Bruges 17%
Happy-Go-Lucky    17%
Frozen River    15%

Adapted Screenplay    
Slumdog Millionaire    33%
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button    19%
Frost / Nixon    16%
The Reader    16%
Doubt    15%

I love the structure used in telling the story of Slumdog Millionaire. No screenplay 101 (in my opinion) in telling the story. Both Frost/Nixon and Doubt are adaptations of stage plays and latter winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the Tony Award for Best Play, but that doesn’t mean anything in Hollywood.

Both Screenplay categories didn't seem so cut and dry to me this year.  I liked "Happy-Go-Lucky", but with Mike Leigh's admitted and documented very improvisatory approach to directing and dialogue, I always wonder just how many of those words actually came from Mike Leigh, and how many came out of the actors' improvisations.  -I haven't read much about the making of this particular movie, so I could be totally off-base here.  However...

Yes, "Benjamin Button" was based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, but Eric Roth and Robin Swicord really expanded and transformed and transplanted the story to more, very recent time.  There was a lot of "original" work, imho.  I even had a similar problem with "Milk" but in the reverse, since so much of the film's structure was based on the actual historical events, and the inclusion of news and documentary footage.  -But that's truly a small quibble.

At least on Broadway, there's no such distinction made when it comes to shows based on previous historical events or literary or theatrical sources.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2009, 10:01:19 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #71 on: February 22, 2009, 10:00:25 AM »

While I haven't seen Mr. Rourke's performance, his win (should he win, and I think it's pretty obvious he will) is entirely predictable - comeback, bad boy, ruined his once-promising career years ago - all the crap Hollywood loves.

Cillaliz

« Reply #72 on: February 22, 2009, 10:03:23 AM »

Ok, my predictions:
Actor - Sean Penn (I'd like to see Frank Langella)
Supporting Actor - Heath Ledger (I haven't seen most of these)
Actress - Kate Winslet
Supporting Actress - Penelope Cruz (haven't seen a lot of these either)
Director - Slumdog - for a minute his name escapes me
Picture - Slumdog
Animated - Wall-E
Documentary - Man on Wire
Animated Short - Oktopodi (it was shown on Sunday Morning today)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: February 22, 2009, 10:03:39 AM »

Well, since I know I'm going to be camped out in front of the TV for a coupe of hours tonight, I'm going to head out for a bit.  I don't care about the Red Carpet Arrivals or the Fashion Do's and Don't's, so if I'm not back for the pre-show, well, that's why. ;)

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #74 on: February 22, 2009, 10:04:03 AM »

Much as I think all the major awards that it's up for should go to Slumdog Millionaire, as I thought it really achieved everything it set out to achieve in a very creative way, which I can't say for the other films I saw (and I did manage to see most of the top candidates, at least I saw all the best pic noms) - all their recent wins and the jockeying by all the usual pundits may have peaked too early and there could be a surprise or two - doubtful, as voting occurred a couple of weeks ago, but that's the sort of thing that causes surprises.  It was the underdog going into the nominations, but suddenly it became the favorite, and it's important to remain the underdog or some other film suddenly is the underdog.

Cillaliz

« Reply #75 on: February 22, 2009, 10:05:30 AM »

Original Screenplay    
Milk 31%
Wall-E 21%
In Bruges 17%
Happy-Go-Lucky    17%
Frozen River    15%

Adapted Screenplay    
Slumdog Millionaire    33%
The Curious Case of Benjamin Button    19%
Frost / Nixon    16%
The Reader    16%
Doubt    15%

I love the structure used in telling the story of Slumdog Millionaire. No screenplay 101 (in my opinion) in telling the story. Both Frost/Nixon and Doubt are adaptations of stage plays and latter winner of the Pulitzer Prize and the Tony Award for Best Play, but that doesn’t mean anything in Hollywood.

Both Screenplay categories didn't seem so cut and dry to me this year.  I liked "Happy-Go-Lucky", but with Mike Leigh's admitted and documented very improvisatory approach to directing and dialogue, I always wonder just how many of those words actually came from Mike Leigh, and how many came out of the actors' improvisations.  -I haven't read much about the making of this particular movie, so I could be totally off-base here.  However...

Yes, "Benjamin Button" was based on a short story by F. Scott Fitzgerald, but Eric Roth and Robin Swicord really expanded and transformed and transplanted the story to more, very recent time.  There was a lot of "original" work, imho.  I even had a similar problem with "Milk" but in the reverse, since so much of the film's structure was based on the actual historical events, and the inclusion of news and documentary footage.  -But that's truly a small quibble.

At least on Broadway, there's no such distinction made when it comes to shows based on previous historical events or literary or theatrical sources.

Even though they all claim it's only based on Fitzgerald's short story, the story of Benjamin Button is much much closer to The Confessions of Max Tivoli. 

Cillaliz

« Reply #76 on: February 22, 2009, 10:06:41 AM »

Last year played a game of changing movie names into food. I think that's what really got us going

FJL

« Reply #77 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:09 AM »

Benjamin Mutton?

FJL

« Reply #78 on: February 22, 2009, 10:12:31 AM »

The Eater?

FJL

« Reply #79 on: February 22, 2009, 10:13:00 AM »

Frappy-go-Lucky?

FJL

« Reply #80 on: February 22, 2009, 10:13:28 AM »

Frozen Liver?

FJL

« Reply #81 on: February 22, 2009, 10:13:42 AM »

Wall-Eat?

FJL

« Reply #82 on: February 22, 2009, 10:13:53 AM »

Corndog Millionaire?

FJL

« Reply #83 on: February 22, 2009, 10:14:22 AM »

Milk?

td

• td
« Reply #84 on: February 22, 2009, 10:15:30 AM »

Much as I think all the major awards that it's up for should go to Slumdog Millionaire, as I thought it really achieved everything it set out to achieve in a very creative way, which I can't say for the other films I saw (and I did manage to see most of the top candidates, at least I saw all the best pic noms) - all their recent wins and the jockeying by all the usual pundits may have peaked too early and there could be a surprise or two - doubtful, as voting occurred a couple of weeks ago, but that's the sort of thing that causes surprises.  It was the underdog going into the nominations, but suddenly it became the favorite, and it's important to remain the underdog or some other film suddenly is the underdog.

I am totally with you on this, BK.

I thought that SLUMDOG was the most remarkable achievement in film making that I've seen in quite a long time. 
I have since read the source novel, Q & A, and still feel that SLUMDOG is a remarkable film.  The changes made from source to screen all work in favor of the director's vision.    The one MAJOR difference is in Jamal's reason for appearing on the quiz show; a reason which makes perfect sense in the novel, but would have detracted from Boyle's vision of the film experience.  Both reasons work for their respective incarnations.

The novel is a wonderful read, I highly recommend it. 
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: February 22, 2009, 10:27:50 AM »

Films into food?  I don't remember that from last year.  FJL has covered most of it.  Kung Pao Panda.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: February 22, 2009, 10:30:54 AM »

We're STILL on page three?  Is this Oscar day?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #87 on: February 22, 2009, 10:31:36 AM »

Slumdog Meatballsub

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #88 on: February 22, 2009, 10:32:06 AM »

Fries/Nachos