Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: THE HUNGRY JEW  (Read 25433 times)

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:THE HUNGRY JEW
« Reply #150 on: March 12, 2004, 08:17:05 PM »

I want to have a pajama partay right here! Abie the wonderdog has no pajamas, the wuss.
I could paint his toenails, though.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: March 12, 2004, 08:19:45 PM »

We'd BETTER have photos from your disposable camera, that's all I've got to say.  Especially the hot nerd glasses.

Panni

« Reply #152 on: March 12, 2004, 08:20:46 PM »

Come to think of it, I have no pajamas, either.  I must get cute pajamas ASAP.

Panni

« Reply #153 on: March 12, 2004, 08:23:00 PM »

I'm supposed to be reading. I don't feel like reading. But I must read a book and a script. A grown-up shouldn't have homework. I want to have FUN. I want pajamas.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #154 on: March 12, 2004, 08:24:25 PM »

I'm so tired!  Maya's a ball of energy and joy, and all I want to do is sleep!

Tomorrow's my wild and crazy outing with der Brucer and SWW.  I assure you that this weekend will involve lots of photos of my hot nerd glasses (They make me fall asleep...I'm used to having little pieces of plastic forcing my eyes open.  Gotta love contacts!).

We're off in the pursuit of ice cream.
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: March 12, 2004, 08:24:32 PM »

At 3.21 Saturday I am not likely to think about pajamas or even pyjamas. and this is the home of Bananas in Pyjamas. I know some Americans are familiar with B1 and B2.
Instant reaction to the Follies boot tape comment. I may start writing pleading letters from OZ.  

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #156 on: March 12, 2004, 08:25:08 PM »

I want pajamas.

::Offers Panni a pair of adorable Curious George PJs::

Come play wiz us, Panni!  
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #157 on: March 12, 2004, 08:26:16 PM »

All right, how many out there have tried Fondue Bourguignonne?  That's a hot oil fondue, into which the diner cooks their meat (usually steak cubes, but we like to have shrimp, too), basically deep-frying quickly.  Then the cooked meat is eaten with a variety of dipping sauces.

I bring this up because the new electric fondue pot der Brucer had to have is getting a good workout, with two meals so far this week.  

Now, I have to figure out how to get him to try shabu-shabu.  That's a similar sort of dish, but with hot seasoned broth as the cooking medium instead of oil.  (After, you can drink the broth!)

What's neat about the electric fondue pot is that it's much easier to control the temperature than it was with the traditional Sterno-heated pots.  Not to mention a lot safer: the cord is connected to the pot magnetically, so it releases easily in case anyone hits it by accident.

This might be something you dieters could look into.  We're talking low carbs with these meat dishes, since no batter is involved; good flavor; easy to prepare.  A little care with the dipping sauces and two people on Atkins could have themselves one romantic evening!  Or a larger group could be, well, less romantic but just as sociable.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Tomovoz

« Reply #158 on: March 12, 2004, 08:26:29 PM »

Oh an ice -cream reference. Now that is my kind of language and party.
Are cakes made from ice-cream available in the USA. They are popular herei n Oz for kid's parties. Always wanted one. Maybe next year for my 60th birthday.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #159 on: March 12, 2004, 08:30:17 PM »

Memo to self: Bring digital camera!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #160 on: March 12, 2004, 08:31:03 PM »

Our new Dan-the-Man just ordered all three Kritzer books.  Thanks mucho.  They'll go out tomorrow.  

Yay!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #161 on: March 12, 2004, 08:37:22 PM »

And how is it, exactly, that your underwear drawer got bent?

:)

You know, you're the third person this week who asked me that question.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #162 on: March 12, 2004, 08:48:00 PM »

Why, thank you, dear!  Well, we're off to watch a coughbootlegcough of the "Follies" revival.  Love you all!

Girls!  Ixnay on the oughbootlegcoughcay of the Olliesfay apetay!

Unless we can talk about such things here...
-- Anaïs Nin

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #163 on: March 12, 2004, 08:50:11 PM »

Note to SWWhite: I've had that kind of fondue. But it was back in the 70s when I was in high school and we used sterno.  

The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #164 on: March 12, 2004, 08:54:22 PM »

Oh an ice -cream reference. Now that is my kind of language and party.
Are cakes made from ice-cream available in the USA. They are popular herei n Oz for kid's parties. Always wanted one. Maybe next year for my 60th birthday.

Mmmmm...  Anyone else hearing Tom Carvel's throaty voice extolling the joys of Fudgie the Whale?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #165 on: March 12, 2004, 08:58:36 PM »

Ooo, pajama party fun!  Damn that 3,000 mile gap between here and there! :D
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Jed

« Reply #166 on: March 12, 2004, 08:59:29 PM »

Now I want ice cream.  Cake form or otherwise.  Creamy frozen goodness.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #167 on: March 12, 2004, 09:02:32 PM »

Haven't read all your lovely and delightful posts yet, but I just got back from Mom's wake and wanted to leave some impressions before that poor hay gets hit once again.  I must get up early for the funeral.

(Parenthetically, before I forget, I got my copy of FS Charles Edward Pogue's novelization of Dragonheart today, and already my thirteen-year-old niece wants to borrow it as soon as I'm done.  Yipee!  Close paren.)

A large Italian family from all over Brooklyn and Queens plus assorted relatives on Mom's side, Slovaks from Pennsylvania--all conservative, working-class people.  Everyone was well-behaved.  Incredible.

Cousin Richie, who Joe always said hated and tormented him as a kid--Richie is now a police detective and moved heaven and earth all Wednesday to try to get Joe out for the funeral, but to no avail.  I finally met cousin Richie this evening and thanked him most heartily for trying.

Brother Tony, who gave the eulogy.  Among other things:  "Mom had seven children, nine grandchildren, and now, thanks to Andrea and Debby, a great-grandchild on the way."  Particularly moving because when Andrea came out to her parents they told her they didn't want Debby at their Christmas celebration, so Mom insisted they come to her house.  This from a woman who, when she had her first period and didn't know what it was, was beaten by her mother.  She had come a long way, there are many things she didn't understand, but one thing she did understand was unconditional love.

Sister Diane, who spent the last six years caring for Mom through all her illness while working two jobs and raising her two daughters alone, telling me, "I wanted to be with Mom at the end, but she chose you, and there must have been a reason."

The message on my machine when I came home from our friend and former NYC detective, who spent the day calling from Florida to the DA's office, spoke to the DA and the Warden, to no avail.  But the Warden went down to talk to Joe and offer his condolences.

Sister Diane again, "I know Joe is hurting a lot because he couldn't be with Mom at the end.  But I finally got some good Aides in the house.  And last month when I had the Aide from hell, Joe was here for a week, day and night, taking care of his mother, and that was when she really needed him."

Joe on the phone when I came home, "Every time I close my eyes I know Mom is talking to me, but I don't know what she wants."  Me:  "She is telling you she loves you, she knows you love her, she is gone, and you have to let go."  (Gosh, I sound like John Edwards!)

Sister Marilyn, who flew in from California on a moment's notice last week and finally pushed and prodded the doctor to give Mom something effective for the pain, so that after a week without sleep she finally manage to sleep and pass peacefully.

The brattiest kids in the family behaving themselves admirally for several hours during the wake.

The wife of another inmate who has befriended Joe, calling me to find the time and place of the funeral, because she wants to be there tomorrow.

Our next door neighbor (on the other side!) leaving a Mass Card in my mailbox.

Sister Dorothy telling me I had to have a second helping of lasagne, because Mom would tell me I look thin and push me to stuff my face, if she were here.

Memories.  Oy, memories.  Mom, being asked by a little girl years ago (who is now all grown up and came to the wake from Pennsylvania) if I were her son too:  she hugged me and said, "Yes, he's my adopted son."  None of this "he's my son's, uh, er, um, friend," for her.  

She would have been 86 on March 26.  She wasn't very educated.  She never learned to drive.  She never traveled.  She was raised to be a wife and mother and never wanted more.  She probably made lots of mistakes raising her kids--as who hasn't?  She accepted me as a part of her family for 23 years.  She was stuborn, cantankerous, tactless, outspoken and full of love.  I will miss her.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 09:03:41 PM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #168 on: March 12, 2004, 09:10:30 PM »

Such a mix of emotions for you and Joe WFO. The "other son" view is taken by my partner's stepmother and was the view of my Mother as well. It really has a special warmth.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #169 on: March 12, 2004, 09:22:22 PM »

Our new Unseemly Interview with Larry Blank is up and running.

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #170 on: March 12, 2004, 09:33:44 PM »

WFO--Jenny and I are both so very sorry about your mother, and you and Joe are in our thoughts.

Jenny is curious--she lives on Long Island (Valley Stream), and was wondering on what part of the island you live.  

Jenny is SUCH a wussburger.  She was supposed to have gone to bed 20 minutes ago because she could barely keep her dear little eyes open, but having done 100 crunches, she is suddenly quite the little spitfire again.  ("That's me," she says, curled up in a ball on the chair, wondering when she can go to bed)

NO GOING TO BED, JENNY!  This is a sleepover, you're supposed to stay up into the wee hours of the morning.

*turns and sees that Jenny has fallen asleep on the chair and is snoring quite loudly*

*tickles Jenny*

*Jenny wakes up and squeals and heads up to bed with her bwankie trailing behind her*

....Wussburger.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #171 on: March 12, 2004, 09:33:53 PM »

She would have been 86 on March 26.  She wasn't very educated.  She never learned to drive.  She never traveled.  She was raised to be a wife and mother and never wanted more.  She probably made lots of mistakes raising her kids--as who hasn't?  She accepted me as a part of her family for 23 years.  She was stuborn, cantankerous, tactless, outspoken and full of love.  I will miss her.

She sounds like a loving and wonderful woman, WFO.  It's eveident in every word you've written about her this past week.

Hey--what was her favorite activity or passtime?
-- Anaïs Nin

Jed

« Reply #172 on: March 12, 2004, 09:42:50 PM »

Wussburger, indeed!  We could teach that girl a thing or two about late-night fun, Maya!  Wait... that sounded bad... well, not that bad... ;)
« Last Edit: March 12, 2004, 09:43:26 PM by Jed »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #173 on: March 12, 2004, 09:47:49 PM »

Wussburger, indeed!  We could teach that girl a thing or two about late-night fun, Maya!  Wait... that sounded bad... well, not that bad... ;)

Jenny: I'm paying attention now!

Jed

« Reply #174 on: March 12, 2004, 09:47:54 PM »

Amazed that BK hasn't called me "nefarious" yet!  Oh... he's not here... he surely will when he gets back. :)

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #175 on: March 12, 2004, 09:50:00 PM »

Jed, you're too sweet to be nefarious!  

Myself on the other hand... ::)

Jed

« Reply #176 on: March 12, 2004, 09:52:59 PM »

I think we've both got a proper bit of nefarious mixed in with our sweet natures, Maya... wouldn't have it any other way!

Panni

« Reply #177 on: March 12, 2004, 09:53:32 PM »

WFO - A beautiful, moving tribute.

Jed

« Reply #178 on: March 12, 2004, 09:54:37 PM »

Have we scared everyone else into silence?  Join the party, people!

Panni

« Reply #179 on: March 12, 2004, 09:55:23 PM »

::Offers Panni a pair of adorable Curious George PJs::
Come play wiz us, Panni!  

I would LOVE that!
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up