Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TIME CAPSULE  (Read 46856 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: TIME CAPSULE
« Reply #60 on: March 05, 2009, 06:09:37 AM »

I do love Unsung Bernstein (the complete 2-CD set).

Either DR Ben meant to type "Sondheim," or someone's been holding out on us!!    ;)

I think he meant the "Unsung Berlin" recording on 2 discs.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #61 on: March 05, 2009, 06:13:48 AM »

DR Sam, welcome! Let us know all about you. How did you discover us?

It's time for my walk to the reading. I hope it isn't too bad out because the walk down West End Avenue means no buses, no taxis, and if I get really cold, I'm stuck. I need a St Bernard on my trail.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #62 on: March 05, 2009, 06:34:04 AM »

I see my usual 5 minutes in the morning reading BK's notes will not work today.  I'll have to post again when I get home from work.  I'm at Starbucks every Saturday and Sunday morning.  Black coffee only, they  look at me rather amused. I have 3 within walking distance of my new apartment.  Meet BK at LACC, at one of the season plays, the box office simply said " if you like theatre ,talk to that guy over there" and we did. Next came the summer cabaret series at LACC , say every show and then of course "The Brain from Planet X". See you later.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #63 on: March 05, 2009, 06:36:48 AM »

can you fix mistakes once you hit post  ?  I need to really read this twice.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Ginny

« Reply #64 on: March 05, 2009, 06:38:19 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  This morning I'm having my hair cut and this afternoon I'm taking my aunt to pick up the new glasses she ordered a week ago today.  I haven't told her about the difficulties I've had with mine.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #65 on: March 05, 2009, 06:38:45 AM »

Welcome new DR Sam!
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

DAW

« Reply #66 on: March 05, 2009, 06:39:48 AM »

DAW

« Reply #67 on: March 05, 2009, 06:41:05 AM »

can you fix mistakes once you hit post  ?  I need to really read this twice.

Sure!  :)   Just scroll back up to your original post and click "Modify"

Ginny

« Reply #68 on: March 05, 2009, 06:41:39 AM »

TOD - my first BK-produced CD was Liz Callaway's Loesser, which was sent to me by orchestrator DR Elmore.  I will have to take it in the car today, especially to listen to my favorite tracks, "What're You Doing New Year's Eve?" and "Brotherhood of Man." 

Ginny

« Reply #69 on: March 05, 2009, 06:43:17 AM »

~~~~FEEL BETTER VIBES FOR DR GINNY~~~~~

Thanks for that, DR Vixmom.  My cold has not developed, so I'm thinking it's just allergies.

Laura

« Reply #70 on: March 05, 2009, 07:08:06 AM »

TOD: I remember that the first BK work we heard was "Toonful" which DR Sandra checked out of the library. We both thought it was great.

I don't have any idea of the first cd or tape we bought. I remember looking at one cd I really liked, then looking at another and then noticing that my favorites all were produced by Bruce Kimmel.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #71 on: March 05, 2009, 07:30:37 AM »

I'm loving the stroll down memory lane, BK.  But with your whole life passing before our eyes, I hope you're not dying or anything.  If not, more tales of yore, please!

I don't recall my first BK-produced album.  I know I had several Bay Cities and Vareses when I began noticing this name Bruce Kimmel on all the CDs.  I then started to seek out Bruce Kimmel-produced CDs, knowing that the name stood for quality and taste.

We actually "met" years before we really met.  You were once in Malcolm and Christine's cramp little bookstore in their old location (with a lovely young companion).  Either Malcolm introduced us or your name was dropped and I introduced myself and mentioned that I was a fan of your CDs.  You graciously accepted the compliment of a fan, went about your purchases and I, mine.

It was, of course, years later, that I was in Malcolm and Christine's at their new location and you were giving a reading of Benjamin Kritzer and the seeds of a friendship were sown.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #72 on: March 05, 2009, 07:38:08 AM »

DR MICHAEL S - I think you asked this question yesterday - I know one of the names Constance Moore, an actress at Paramount for many years.  She replaced Frances Farmer in Preston Sturges' comedy Take a Letter, Darling.  She sang a lot in her movies for Universal and Republic, so my guess is that she did some recording.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0601073/

One of the more unusual things I have in my Farmer collection is a set of PR pics from Take a Letter, Darling, with FF still listed as a cast member.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #73 on: March 05, 2009, 07:39:24 AM »

Good morning!

Still a bit nippy outside but warming up into the 50s today. And it's bright and sunshiny blue, so a nice March day.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #74 on: March 05, 2009, 07:42:25 AM »

My first Kimmel-produced recording was CHICAGO on Bay Cities. FORUM followed soon after.

If you want to discount those, then it was definitely UNSUNG SONDHEIM which for many years was my favorite Kimmel produced CD. I loved many of the UNSUNG and LOST albums, but UNSUNG SONDHEIM and its "sequel" SONDHEIM AT THE MOVIES remain two my two favorites and unquestionably the most played.

Matt H.

« Reply #75 on: March 05, 2009, 07:43:34 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

NBC - comedies, ER
CBS - SURVIVOR, CSI, ELEVENTH HOUR
ABC - UGLY BETTY
FOX - AMERICAN IDOL, HELL'S KITCHEN
USA - BURN NOTICE (season finale)

Matt H.

« Reply #76 on: March 05, 2009, 07:45:56 AM »

Yep, WHEN TIME RAN OUT was prophetically named: it was the last nail in the coffin for disaster pictures. They've come back into vogue in the years since CGI came along, but it was the last of its kind for a long time.

I know I had certainly grown tired of them.

Matt H.

« Reply #77 on: March 05, 2009, 07:47:51 AM »

My work project today will be the Blu-ray release of PINOCCHIO, and I can't wait to watch it.

I took out my old DVD a month or so ago and watched, and it was a fine transfer for the early years of DVD, but I'm certain the Blu-ray (and the regular DVD which is also included in the Blu-ray case) will constitute a big upgrade in picture and sound quality. The Blu-ray has the restored mono sound and a DTS-HD Master Audio 7.1 encoding!

DAW

« Reply #78 on: March 05, 2009, 07:51:11 AM »

Pinocchio had been re-released in theatres around the time that I was 5 or 6, and I insisted on naming our first family cat "Figaro."   :)

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: March 05, 2009, 08:01:31 AM »

DR Jose, i put spoiler space last night because i didn't want to take the chance i might spoil the show for somebody. Even if i didn't give specifics, i'd rather people still have the option to read or not.

Btw, can you tell me how to better hide my spoilers so that the words don't jump out?

Jennifer

« Reply #80 on: March 05, 2009, 08:05:33 AM »

RE: last night's IDOL and the selection for the wildcard show tonight.

I was really unhappy with the selections. I am okay with 4 guys and 4 girls going through (not sure if they did that on purpose). But I thought Group 3 was strong. And they only selected one from that group. They took 4 from group 1 and 3 from group 2. So basically the people from the first group who sucked all got through because of their potential. I am okay with the judges thinking about potential (maybe they just had a bad night and a bad song). But only 1 person from the last group???  And of all the people they chose tatiana. I cannot stand her and was thankful i would never have to see her again. I'm still hoping they don't choose her. But if they choose 2 girls (as i suspect) then one could be her. Uggh!  I really hope they chose megan. And i think a lot of people are suspecting anoop (sp?) will be chosen.

Laura

« Reply #81 on: March 05, 2009, 08:07:56 AM »

My son also loved Pinocchio. In fact, it was one of his first words: Yo-ko-kio. I haven't seen it in years.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #82 on: March 05, 2009, 08:12:50 AM »

Yo-ko-kio.

I believe that's the version about the Beatle wife who wanted to be a real musician.

(Meow).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #83 on: March 05, 2009, 08:21:57 AM »

I guess I need to head downstairs and get cleaned up for my lunch out today with friends. I was just on the phone with my friend Hal and tried to persuade him to join us as well (a group of four would be a lot of fun), but he had errands to run and no time for a leisurely lunch.

WBBL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #84 on: March 05, 2009, 09:02:07 AM »

I loved Pinocchio as a youngen.  I took its message to heart--that no matter how bad you are or how much you disobey, things always work out in the end (and sometimes you even come out ahead!)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #85 on: March 05, 2009, 09:14:28 AM »

elmore, I think you were THERE when the ending of Amys was figured out, but I definitely remember shoving the MD off the piano bench when he wouldn't even put his hands on the keyboard (playful shove, not serious shove) and playing what I heard in my head.  You, of course, orchestrated it and probably wrote it down, but my memory of that day is quite vivid and always makes me laugh.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #86 on: March 05, 2009, 09:15:06 AM »

I'm up, I'm groggy, the sky is blue, and I can do the long jog just as soon as I have no more grog.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #87 on: March 05, 2009, 09:30:06 AM »

WELCOME LONG TIME LURKER, & NOW A DR, SAM!!!

DR Sam do you have any pets?

Kerry

« Reply #88 on: March 05, 2009, 09:30:43 AM »

TOD:
 1st CD  "A Broadway Christmas"-- still a favorite
 2nd CD  "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile"
 "Prime Time Musicals" may have been next or "Best of Cabaret."   At any rate my next CD's were Liz Callaway's and the one by Mary Cleere Haran.  I had bought "Toonful"  for my niece (and she loved it), but I never got a copy for me.
At some point right around there, things really began to gel when I got one of the "Lost in Boston" CD's that had Karen Morrow singing what I still think is the best song from "Queen of the Stardust Ballroom" and Guy Haines singing "Evening Star."
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #89 on: March 05, 2009, 09:30:51 AM »

WELCOME LONG TIME LURKER, & NOW A DR, SAM!!!

DR Sam do you have any pets?

Does a daughter count?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10   Go Up