Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS  (Read 56038 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: THE KINDNESS OF STRANGERS
« Reply #180 on: March 10, 2009, 04:08:17 PM »

Well Vixdad should be home anytime now!

LATERS!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #181 on: March 10, 2009, 04:14:38 PM »

Well, I'm off too.  I'm going up to the 5th Avenue Theatre in Seattle to see Hello, Dolly!  It should be quite good. :)

Have a good evening, all!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #182 on: March 10, 2009, 04:25:16 PM »

...and we just realized that she outgrew her white turtleneck.  Her black dress slacks are still fine thank goodness...

So... She isn't any taller, but she's grown.

Makes sense to me!   

:D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #183 on: March 10, 2009, 04:31:05 PM »

Morning Larry.

Hugs to you as you get probed.

I don't know what Larry was complaining about - At least one of us is getting lucky today!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #184 on: March 10, 2009, 04:36:13 PM »

Back from the audio place.  The good news is that both Po, Po, Po and Birthday Song are on the tapes and the tapes are in GREAT shape.  So, as long as I get permission from MGM to include them (hoping that's not a prob, but you never know with these big corps), I shall.  Po, Po, Po is terrific AND it's the bloody opening number of the show!  That's a major plus.  Birthday Song is an amusing one-minute throw-away number, but fun.  There are also two reels of "outtakes" - but the splices were falling apart so I'm not sure what those are and I'm not spending the money to find out (not only the transfer cost, but the repairing the splices cost) - what I "think" they are are sections of number included on the LP that were edited out for time reasons, although, that said, how there could be forty-something minutes of edits is anyone's guess.  Even if I wanted to transfer and find out, then there's the question of where they go - I don't know this score well at all and I would hate to try and guess where this edited stuff went - it would also require a two CD set, which I'm not willing to do.  If money were no expense, I'd remix the entire album from scratch - the sound on the LP is very washy, maybe one of the most heavily reverbed albums I've ever heard, very much like Mitch Miller's Columbia stuff.  Interestingly, the four-track session masters have reverb recorded ON them, but it's not so washy - for the LP it sounds like they added reverb to the recorded reverb (normally you would never record reverb - it's added in the mix).  So, the four-tracks remixed would sound amazing, but given the sales of Anya, I'm not going down that road.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #185 on: March 10, 2009, 04:37:07 PM »

Harrumph!!

The last time I did that at the beach, parents were shielding their children's eyes and scurrying them away!   :P  

Next time, wear underwear!
“One thing’s universal,

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #186 on: March 10, 2009, 04:41:01 PM »

Interestingly, the audio place is right across the hall from the office of Film Score Monthly's Lukas Kendall, and I got a sneak peek at all their new titles - one of them, which is at the pressing plant, will blow readers of this site right off the face of the planet - I cannot tell you how excited I am - probably my biggest holy grail, soundtrack-wise, and it's a two CD set.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #187 on: March 10, 2009, 04:50:18 PM »

Just got the okay to include the tracks.  Yay.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #188 on: March 10, 2009, 04:57:24 PM »

BK,  I would probably be interested in the 60's HOUSE OF FLOWERS.  Who was in it?  Was the score reorchstrated?
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: March 10, 2009, 05:00:51 PM »

Here's what I found - look who the conductor is:

Date:   1968
Type:   Audio / Stage Cast
Language:   English
Additional Book:   Truman Capote (12)
Conductor:   Joseph Raposo (5)
Performer:   Daniel Barrajanos,  Yolande Bavan,  Bob Broadway,  Hope Clarke,  Tom Helmore,  Robert Jackson,  Charles Moore,  Novella Nelson,  Thelma Oliver,  Trina Parks,  Carla Pinza,  Josephine Premice,  Walter Raines

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #190 on: March 10, 2009, 05:01:25 PM »

So, we'll see if they have tapes.  Here's the album tracks:

SIDE A:
1. Preface: Smellin' of Vanilla
2. A Sleepin' Bee
3. Somethin' Cold to Drink
4. House of Flowers
5. Two Ladies In de Shade of de Banana Tree
6. Don't Like Goodbyes
7. Jump de Broom
SIDE B:
1. Smellin' of Vanilla
2. Waitin'
3. Woman Never Understan'
4. I Never Has Seen Snow
5. Madame Tango's Particular Tango
6. What Is a Friend For?
7. Reprise: A Sleepin' Bee / I Never Has Seen Snow
8. Finale: Two Ladies In de Shade of de Banana Tree

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #191 on: March 10, 2009, 05:01:49 PM »

Since it's Arlen, and since it's different to the OCR, I'm thinking it would probably do okay. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #192 on: March 10, 2009, 05:02:01 PM »

I'm going to get a copy of the LP to listen to.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #193 on: March 10, 2009, 05:04:21 PM »

This morning, our Elmo was someone's "probee"! 

I really, really wanted DR elmore3003 to use this line on his doctor:

Usually, I at least get a drink, first.     :)

I use it on my doctor, every year.
“One thing’s universal,

Michael

« Reply #194 on: March 10, 2009, 05:11:19 PM »

I love this talk of all these older cast album.

I love the search for tracking down all the possible numbers for a show like Illya Darling and the possibility of putting them in show order on the cd.

For all those cast album fanatics...

What recordings would you like to see release on CD that has NOT been released before?

Others have said this also, but the original A Man With a Load of Mischief would be a good one. :)

The recording is owned by Universal/Decca and one would have to license it from them and it probably be mucho $$$$
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #195 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:03 PM »

Cast recordings I'd like to see released:

THREEPENNY OPERA --76 NYSF revival.  I have a copy on CD (thanks to DR Elmore),but a professionally released copy with notes, photos and album art would be wonderful.

SHOWGIRL--fun Carol Channing tunes and skits

THE FLIP SIDE

MY SQUARE LADDIE

THREEPENNY OPERA would probably be the only one that would sell.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaďs Nin

Cillaliz

« Reply #196 on: March 10, 2009, 05:14:27 PM »

Good evening all. It was a very good day in court today. Don't know what tomorrow will bring, but so far so good.

Michael

« Reply #197 on: March 10, 2009, 05:17:27 PM »

Here's a question for our musical theater collectors, and it's not to go ANY further than this board - would the 1960s House Of Flowers be of interest as a CD release - I remember liking the LP very much, and it's never been on CD before and is purportedly available to me.  But these things have to sell better than Anya has thus far or I'm not going to do any more shows.  Right now, Anya has sold about half it's run, which isn't bad, but nowhere near what it needs to sell to have it be worthwhile.  And I really don't know how to get out the word more than we have.

I didn't know that there was a 1960s version.  I only knew about the original 1954 cast recording.  That would be interesting. :)

Me, neither.  much.

Who was in the cast, Bruce?  Where did it play?

NYC Theatre De LYS opened January 28, 1968 and ran 57 performances

Thelma Oliver (OC Sweet Charity), Hope Clarke (Now a choreograpger Caroline or Change & Jelly's Last Jam), Josephine Premice (Jamica & Bubbling Brown Sugar), Robert Jackson, Charles Moore, Novella Nelson (Hello Dolly, Purlie), Carla Pinza, Tome Helmore, Daniel Barrajanos, Bob Broadway (I kid you not!), Trina Parks, Walter Raines

Conducted by Joe Raspo (later to go on to do Sesame Street)

and BK beat me to it,
« Last Edit: March 10, 2009, 05:23:17 PM by Michael S »
Never stop dreaming.

Cillaliz

« Reply #198 on: March 10, 2009, 05:17:57 PM »

I have had many many strangers  grace me with kindness, way too many to mention.  Living alone and often traveling alone, it's amazing how kind people can be.  It's usually the littlest things that mean the most. 

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #199 on: March 10, 2009, 05:18:08 PM »

Cast recordings I'd like to see released:

THREEPENNY OPERA --76 NYSF revival.  I have a copy on CD (thanks to DR Elmore),but a professionally released copy with notes, photos and album art would be wonderful.

SHOWGIRL--fun Carol Channing tunes and skits

THE FLIP SIDE

MY SQUARE LADDIE

THREEPENNY OPERA would probably be the only one that would sell.

I have the mp3 files of SHOW GIRL, DR Dan(the Man) but I suspect that if the Kurt Weill Foundation ever allows the release of the Joe Papp THREEPENNY OPERA it will be remain on Sony. MY SQUARE LADDIE has been releaaed on CD.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: March 10, 2009, 05:19:58 PM »

DR Dan(the Man), check your email!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Michael

« Reply #201 on: March 10, 2009, 05:20:30 PM »

Just got the okay to include the tracks.  Yay.

Fantastic!!!!
Never stop dreaming.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #202 on: March 10, 2009, 05:22:48 PM »

Cilla, I am so sorry to read about your brother in law's bad news.  Vibes for him and his whole family.
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #203 on: March 10, 2009, 05:23:36 PM »

Does anyone know if by chance at one time if hte soundtrack for The Far Pavilions was re-released on CD? I can only find the LP on ebay
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #204 on: March 10, 2009, 05:24:55 PM »

I just had a very long chat with a really knowledgeable collector who thinks House Of Flowers would do well - the few different songs, different cast, and just the collectors who are completists.  So, IF they have the tapes, I'll do it.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #205 on: March 10, 2009, 05:26:31 PM »

Then we went up to Kohl's to buy her a new white blouse.  She was selected to be in the All County Chorus this coming weeked and we just realized that she outgrew her white turtleneck.  Her black dress slacks are still fine thank goodness.  I was lucky we were able to find a blouse on the discount rack for 50% off the price so it was $15 and then when we checked out they were running a promotion where they let you pick a scratch off card for additional savings - I got another 20% off so we picked up a $30 dress blouse for $12.

I like Kohls. It is one of few places that I can find pants with long inseams.

They do have good sales and clearance racks. I have had spotty luck with Herbergers and a couple of other chains. I stay out of Macy's. Too expensive for my budget. I also like Target.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

Cillaliz

« Reply #206 on: March 10, 2009, 05:28:25 PM »

Cilla, I am so sorry to read about your brother in law's bad news.  Vibes for him and his whole family.

Thanks DR TCB.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #207 on: March 10, 2009, 05:28:46 PM »

CONGRATULATIONS,

VIXMOM!
“One thing’s universal,

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #208 on: March 10, 2009, 05:28:57 PM »

Cilla, my thoughts are with BIL's family...

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #209 on: March 10, 2009, 05:29:59 PM »

I would prefer a cd over an lp since I really do not have the ability to play an lp here.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up