Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: ROUND EVERY CORNER  (Read 45432 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: ROUND EVERY CORNER
« Reply #30 on: March 12, 2009, 07:42:41 AM »

My work project today is THE LAST METRO on Blu-ray, but I may not be able to do it all today. There are two commentaries and a ton of bonus features (unless they're all very brief). With so much on TV tonight, I'll have to watch BETTY and GREY'S "live" while the DVR recortds everything else and then at 10 can go back and watch BONES.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #31 on: March 12, 2009, 07:42:54 AM »

Page Two Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #32 on: March 12, 2009, 07:45:12 AM »

The last time I saw a professional company of WEST SIDE STORY, it was at Lincoln Center. I think it played at the New York State Theatre, however, as I recall. I'd have to drag out the program to be sure.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: March 12, 2009, 07:49:53 AM »

I agree very interesting notes today!

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: March 12, 2009, 08:08:20 AM »

I must hurry downstairs now and get cleaned up. We're doing an early lunch today, and I'm in need of a major brush and polish!

WBBL.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: March 12, 2009, 08:09:41 AM »

Abe Vigoda

Is he still alive?      ;)

If you can call that living.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: March 12, 2009, 08:10:06 AM »

DR Ben, thanks so much for posting the Tom Wopat review. That would certainly be on my list of things to see, if I were there.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: March 12, 2009, 08:10:30 AM »

I saw a professional tour of WSS a few years ago.  It was okay.  Of course always nice to hear the music live!!!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #38 on: March 12, 2009, 08:10:54 AM »

Yes DR BEN thanks for the Wopat Report.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #39 on: March 12, 2009, 08:11:07 AM »

Them Duke boys always wuz talented.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #40 on: March 12, 2009, 08:13:21 AM »

BK,

I read your notes and, as I've told you privately several times, the details may be different, but our stories are essentially the same.

I, also, took on a Hollywood big shot early on...which certainly did major damage to my (writing) career path.

Yes, even though I was in the right, it was a stupid thing to do.

But, looking back, I'm not really sorry that I did it.

It's very important for me to be able to look at myself in the mirror every morning, and had I not taken this guy on, I might not be able to do that.

Remember what Oliver Pettridge says: "A Man Must Stand for Something".

Also, like you, things changed for me in the 1990s.  I'd sold my first screenplay in 1989, then during the 1990s, I got involved with Roger Corman, who kept me quite busy for most of the decade and well into the new century.  Not all of the films I did for him are classics, but I made a good living [He paid me quite well.] and I had a satisfying writing (with some directing) career.

Yes, there's been a lot of depression over the years, but I can honestly say (at age 68), it's been a great ride and I am looking forward to the opportunities in Austin.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: March 12, 2009, 08:18:27 AM »

The last time I saw a professional company of WEST SIDE STORY, it was at Lincoln Center. I think it played at the New York State Theatre, however, as I recall. I'd have to drag out the program to be sure.

It did. With Kurt Peterson and Victoria Mallory as Tony and Maria, produced by Richard Rodgers. I was surprised that RCA Victor, who recorded so many of the Lincoln Center summer productions, ignored this one.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 12, 2009, 08:19:17 AM »

DR Ben, thanks so much for posting the Tom Wopat review. That would certainly be on my list of things to see, if I were there.

Well, if you'd stop shopping at the Piggly Wiggly for $1.00 DVDs and save your pennies . . .
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #43 on: March 12, 2009, 08:23:37 AM »

Speaking of WEST SIDE STORY, one of my very first publicity clients was David Winters, who played "Ah-rab" in both the Broadway and movie version of the play.

When I started with him, he was choreographing an Elvis Presley movie.

Ginny

« Reply #44 on: March 12, 2009, 08:38:17 AM »

Back from the optician's and the grocery.  Glasses are better - not perfect - but at least I can read the computer screen more comfortably.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: March 12, 2009, 08:39:09 AM »

And I just saw David Winters (dance teacher of MR BK) in the classic movie ROCK PRETTY BABY.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: March 12, 2009, 08:39:34 AM »

Good news, DR GINNY.  Now we can all go back to posting in our regular fonts.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #47 on: March 12, 2009, 08:46:27 AM »

Druxy, as you say, you've got to be able to look at yourself in the mirror each day.  Some people in the Biz, apparently don't, and so anything resembling morals or ethics or just common sense evades them. 

But like you, I need to gape at my mug in the mirror and feel comfortable that a fairly honest and honourable human being is staring back at me.  Some of my battles with bigshots have been legendary and more than once been played out in fairly public arenas, some certainly impeded my career, some may have enhanced it.  But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and let the blood splatter where it falls.

I've heard nothing but great things about Austin as a city and I know it has a lively Arts community.  Good luck there.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #48 on: March 12, 2009, 09:01:32 AM »

Druxy, as you say, you've got to be able to look at yourself in the mirror each day.  Some people in the Biz, apparently don't, and so anything resembling morals or ethics or just common sense evades them. 

But like you, I need to gape at my mug in the mirror and feel comfortable that a fairly honest and honourable human being is staring back at me.  Some of my battles with bigshots have been legendary and more than once been played out in fairly public arenas, some certainly impeded my career, some may have enhanced it.  But a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do and let the blood splatter where it falls.

I've heard nothing but great things about Austin as a city and I know it has a lively Arts community.  Good luck there.

Maybe you, me and BK should start a club.

;)

DAW

« Reply #49 on: March 12, 2009, 09:04:04 AM »

Forgot to mention that while walking the dog this morning I noticed and appreciated the beautiful full moon.

photo not mine

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #50 on: March 12, 2009, 09:17:05 AM »

Hello all!

This morning I went to see my surgeon.  He is pleased with my progress.  Even though I am eating very little by mouth he thinks I am doing well for only a week of eating.  He also suggested that I could go to my original Ear Nose and Throat and have a tube inserted into my right ear to open my ear canal and relieve my deafness.

I called the ENT as soon as I got back and left a detailed message with his receptionist.  I am waiting for a call back.  I am hoping he will tell me he will be able to do the procedure in his office tomorrow (especially as I am now scheduled to be back at work Monday morning!)

Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

vixmom

« Reply #51 on: March 12, 2009, 09:18:04 AM »

Once again, BK, I found the Notes riveting.  Thank you for sharing all these stories with us!

vixmom

« Reply #52 on: March 12, 2009, 09:19:25 AM »

Jose I am so pleased that everything has been set up so nicely for you!  After 6 weeks there you may not want to come home to New York!

vixmom

« Reply #53 on: March 12, 2009, 09:27:00 AM »

Tonight the Vixter and I will be going to the high school to see the production of High School Musical.  This is the production she had to drop out of when she was selected for the All County Chorus. 

The musical is being performed tonight, tomorrow evening, Saturday afternoon and Saturday evening and she has  chorus rehearsal tomorrow evening and most of the day Saturday and the concert is Saturday night.

Her chorus teacher who is directing the musical was very upset about the conflict. Apparently the All County Concert date had been changed after they scheduled the musical  - she had originally set it up so there would be no conflict and then was unable to change the performance dates when the conflict occurred.

Oh well, the Vixter took it all in stride and two of her good friends are in thr ensemble so we shall go and cheer them on! 

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #54 on: March 12, 2009, 09:29:21 AM »

Me too!

Jane

« Reply #55 on: March 12, 2009, 09:32:24 AM »

DR Vixter-GOOD ENT VIBES!  I hope a tube will be an easy fix to your hearing problem.

DAW

« Reply #56 on: March 12, 2009, 09:34:59 AM »

Good medical news from DR vixmom.    :)    [ not to be confused with DR the vixter!  :D ]

***CONTINUED GOOD MEDICAL OUTCOME VIBES*** to you!!!!!

DAW

« Reply #57 on: March 12, 2009, 09:38:52 AM »

Maybe you, me and BK should start a club.

Jane

« Reply #58 on: March 12, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »

I must correct a statement I made last month.  I said Joaquin Phoenix's brother in-law is filming him & then proceeded to name the wrong Affleck brother.  It is Casey Affleck who is married to Summer Phoenix.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 12, 2009, 09:41:21 AM »

Thanks for all the nice comments about the notes.  And I don't really have regrets because even in the worst of it it's all taught me and led me somewhere interesting, to areas I might never have visited before (round every corner).  And with taking on Paramount, I was in the right, and I had the proof and in the end no one cared, but good came out of it - they gave us back the film gratis and we were able to give it to another distributor who made a success out of it, especially in New York.  Of course, that irked Paramount even more, because the trade papers made quite a deal of it the week we were the fourth highest-grossing film in the country.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up