Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: FORGET-ME-NOT LANE  (Read 38639 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
FORGET-ME-NOT LANE
« on: March 14, 2009, 12:06:36 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes forgot-me-not, and now it is time for you to post until the forget-me-not cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: FORGET-ME-NOT LANE
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2009, 12:07:22 AM »

And the word of the day is: FECKLESS!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2009, 12:12:49 AM »

I did forget to mention one thing about doing Forget-Me-Not Lane - it took place during WWII and at one point we were doing some kind of "show" - there was a girl on roller skates (Jill Cook) and we were singing There'll Always Be An England and it was all very busy.  In this sequence, I had to draw a picture of Churchill.  I cannot draw at all, of course, and I thought - good one, never happen.  But they had a pre-sketched paper with a very light outline that I was to follow with a heavy crayon (I actually think it was a Marksalot made to look like a crayon or something).  I had a VERY short time to do this drawing.  The first few times I tried I came nowhere near doing it in time.  It was really hard - a lot of lines.  Over the course of a day or two, I tried different starting places and I finally found the best place to start that would give me the best flow - I figured out the exact route to take, line-wise.  I finally got it down to where I finished just in time, but it was a real race.  By the time we opened I was finishing with time to spare and I never once missed and by opening night not only was I finishing ahead of time, I even had time to sign the drawing "Ivor."

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2009, 12:28:49 AM »

Love the story about "Forget-Me-Not Lane"!  I have that on DVD. :)

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 12:36:55 AM »

I couldn't believe it when I got my copy of the DVD - first I couldn't believe they put it out at all, and second that they put a photo on the cover in which I appeared.

DAW

« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 03:32:47 AM »

Love the story about "Forget-Me-Not Lane"!  I have that on DVD.

Ditto!   :)

But I don't know if my copy is defective...  I have to watch it on my computer.  When I play it on my DVD player through my television, the sound doesn't work.   :(

Yet another set of sparkling notes from bk!
« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 03:35:26 AM by DAW »

DAW

« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2009, 03:33:25 AM »

Happy Saturday, everyone!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2009, 04:56:02 AM »

I also have that DVD which is fun to watch.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2009, 04:56:18 AM »

Feeling better today, so I suppose I will go to work.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2009, 05:05:25 AM »

Sorry your trip has been canceled, DR MBARNUM.....the economy is making everyone suffer.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2009, 05:12:49 AM »

I give up.....how do you get to your groups on Facebook now.  The link is no longer on the Home or Profile page.  This is an improvement?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2009, 05:40:59 AM »

Oh you have to click on the applications link at the bottom of the page.  Nice. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2009, 05:41:10 AM »

Off to work.

Laura

« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2009, 05:47:27 AM »

I'm glad you are feeling better, JRand. Too bad you have to celebrate by going back to work. But then, I guess, a job is something to celebrate these days.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2009, 06:19:10 AM »

Annabelle was thrilled to be cast in the new play, even though it was a smallish part.  She thought the others in the cast were fascinating people, and the story, about a housefull of people who band together to combat the apathy and aimless world around them, struck a nerve with her.  She even loved the title - FECKLESS-Me-Not Lane!

(Sorry, BK, but I couldn't resist.   ::)   ;D   :-*)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #15 on: March 14, 2009, 06:30:43 AM »

And The Song Of The Day Is: CALL ME IRRESPONSIBLE

FJL

« Reply #16 on: March 14, 2009, 06:48:49 AM »

Just checking in before heading to the tax office.  Haven't caught up yet since last Monday.  Will probably do that on Tuesday.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #17 on: March 14, 2009, 06:50:13 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I'm about to meet the whole company for the first time.  Well, at least the entire ensemble.  It promises to be an interesting and entertaining morning.

*And since there is so much unison singing for the ensemble (throughout the show in general), it should be a fast morning too.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #18 on: March 14, 2009, 06:52:01 AM »

Tomorrow morning I do not have rehearsal, nor do I have anything else scheduled for the morning.  Alas, the rain is finally supposed to move in tonight, so it won't be a good day for sight-seeing.  However, it should be a good morning for sleeping in a bit, listening to NPR, and doing some reading.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: March 14, 2009, 06:54:26 AM »

OK - I guess I should do some "meeting and greeting".

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: March 14, 2009, 07:06:14 AM »

(Second try - AOL kicked me off the first time, and I couldn't save what I wrote)

TOD:

Edmund White's States of Desire.

Not quite thirty years ago, after I'd returned to Los Angeles with my physical wounds healed from that queer-bashing incident, I was reading White's (no relation) travelogue, and came to the section on Florida.  White talked about a survey that was taken shortly after Anita Bryant's Save the Children campaign toppled the pro-gay legislation in Dade County.  What the surveyers had found was that the vast majority of voters who had voted for the repeal could not identify anyone they knew as gay.  Those few who could play spot-a-homo and win could only do so by pointing out their hairdresser, and maybe a florist.  No one knew about Catholic priests, apparently.

And it occured to me, we're invisible.  "They" can't spot us.  They don't have a clue as to who we are.  Oh, they can still arrest us.  They can fire us.  They can deny us an apartment.  They can blast at us from their pulpits.  They can even beat us to a pulp, break our bodies.  But they can't spot us, because we're invisible.

Our very invisibility was part of the problem.  How could they ever know who we are, as people, if we don't let them know?

And then I looked at myself.  I certainly couldn't rely on anyone else to do the job.  Everyone else I knew was as invisible as I was.  We were cowering in the supposed safety of our invisibility, and it wasn't working.  Hadn't I just spent months with my shoulder in a cast, because of that damned faulty invisibility?

No one else was going to represent me.  I had to be that person others could point to and say, "Yes, I know that guy."

Shortly after this revelation, the opportunity struck.  The office I worked at, it was announced, was being merged with another office, for efficiency and for larger digs, and the two offices would now be under one roof, and that roof was going to be in... Orange County.

*gulp*

I came out of the closet before we made the move.  I've never regretted that decision.  And yes, I became "that guy," the one people could come up to and say "Uh, do you mind if I ask you a personal question?"  And that personal question would never have anything to do with me, personally.  It always had something to do with being gay.  They now knew someone, who wasn't a hairdresser or florist.  They knew my name. 

Edmund White did that, changed my life, purely by power of suggestion, by writing something and letting me think.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #21 on: March 14, 2009, 07:07:56 AM »

Co-Ordinated Ensemble Vibes for Jose!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
« Reply #22 on: March 14, 2009, 07:11:09 AM »

Good Morning

Last night for dinner I had some tomato soup and a slice of rye bread with some cheddar cheese melted on top and a glass of gingerale

this morning for breakfast I had one poached egg, one small pork sausage, 5 button mushrooms, one slice of toasted rye bread with cream cheese and two glasses of milk

betterer and betterer!

Thank you all for the vibes!!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #23 on: March 14, 2009, 07:15:15 AM »

Those vibes, Vixmom, are a given... and given with love.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

vixmom

« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2009, 07:15:48 AM »

The Vixter was rehearsing for her All County Chorus concert from 2:30 until 8:30 yesterday getting home around 9 PM (after leaving thehouse at 6:50 AM for school)

this morning she was at the school by 8 AM for another rehearsal that runs until 2 PM  - the concert is tonight at 8

vixmom

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2009, 07:20:29 AM »

I just checked with  blockbuster.com and they have Forget Me Not Lane available.  I just added it to my queue

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2009, 07:30:20 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm a bit weepy at the moment, caught up in the 70s music I'm listening to and BK's very nostalgic and wonderful notes.  These two experiences prompt me to two thoughts: BK, it's time to write a bona fide autobiography of some sort and a lot of the morons writing popular song today have neither the gift for imagery nor melody the pop writers did 30 yeas ago.

I slept quite late this morning: I had the hardest time putting down the Suskin book. I didn't turn out the lights until I had finished reading the biographical sections on the 12 major orchestrators. Other names of ghosts used by Russell Bennett ring a loud bell: Rbert Noeltner's name appears inside a ton of published vocal scores as the man who made the piano reductions for publications from the orchestrator's full scores for a show and Joe Glover, who shared orchestartion credit with Bennett on A TREE GROWS IN BROOKLYN, was the writer of one of my beginning piano methods.

Today, mostly Loesser: finish the last two parts and begin the two days of writing up all of my notes. I'd like to deliver the score on Monday morning.

TOD: too many books have shaped or added to my dementia. I wouldn't know which one to credit - or blame - for the person I am today emotionally and intellectually. Let me mention the few I can think of that might have been the most influential:
  ALL THE PRESIDENT'S MEN
  CATCH-22
  PRIDE AND PREJUDICE
  THE THREE MUSKETEERS
  CHARLEY WEAVER'S LETTERS TO MOMMA
  THE ILIAD
  THE ODYSSEY
  CHARLOTTE'S WEB

« Last Edit: March 14, 2009, 07:33:51 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2009, 07:33:07 AM »

Good Morning

Last night for dinner I had some tomato soup and a slice of rye bread with some cheddar cheese melted on top and a glass of gingerale

this morning for breakfast I had one poached egg, one small pork sausage, 5 button mushrooms, one slice of toasted rye bread with cream cheese and two glasses of milk

betterer and betterer!

Thank you all for the vibes!!
            FANTASTIC!     
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2009, 07:33:25 AM »

Good morning, everyone.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2009, 07:37:16 AM »

Love the story about "Forget-Me-Not Lane"!  I have that on DVD.

Ditto!   :)

But I don't know if my copy is defective...  I have to watch it on my computer.  When I play it on my DVD player through my television, the sound doesn't work.   :(

I had the same problem with the copy I rented from Netflix. Sent it back, second copy had the same problem. DR MATTH and I had numerous emails about it and concluded it was a compatibility problem with my DVD player.  A friend made a copy for me that's better, but still not perfect. A shame, too, because it's such a lovely performance from BK.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up