Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TOGETHER AGAIN  (Read 58897 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re: TOGETHER AGAIN
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2009, 06:49:33 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late because I was up too late reading my friend Lewis Stadlen's new bio. I'm up to the beginning of rehearsals for MINNIE'S BOYS and Shelley Winters' craziness. I'd heard a lot of stories on the show from Lewis, and sometimes from Lewis with the late great Julie Kurnitz, and he's got a few here I'd never heard before.

Today, the laundry is in the washers, and I have vacuuming and mopping. After that, concert work. My ANYA CD didn't arrive yesterday; perhaps today.

TOD: The Gary Moore Show
         Ed Sullivan
         The Bell Telephone Hour
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2009, 06:51:11 AM »

Trivia question about THE ROBE...and no fair looking it up on the imdb or anyplace else. 

Who played the role of Judas in THE ROBE?
You can dream…or you can do.

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2009, 06:58:24 AM »

re: last night's AMERICAN IDOL RESULTS

whow wo bob woie r to ttoo loo foifiuf ui iu ui lwow wkj  o o who moo chew wowo
fui  kj w78   uiw  bn  bana   kjak hoo too roo meme eemmm  k kj jk jklakj kj kj jkkj
I must say that even though dialidol prepared me for the bottom 2 i was not at
all happy with who went home. I really liked alexis was sort of sad when the
judges didn't save her.  I was wondering if they would save her, allison, or megan
if they had to. It's a tough call. I guess they are saving it in case danny/adam/lil
somehow get in danger. I was praying that it would be michael sarver who went
home. Maybe next week! whow woiuwiuwiuwiuwiu iu iu iu loo boo too roo uiiu
loo iu iu iu moo wo joo goo too ree o o o o oliiuiu  j jk kj loo too moo ree oo ooo
 io oi oi oi oi nooo tooo roo ree ekjejkekjekj kj kj kj kj too too jkkj  jk kj kj kj kj moo

Ginny

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2009, 07:09:35 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  This afternoon I have to take my aunt to her optician's for a adjustment to her new glasses.

And tonight, for the first time in my life, I will watch MTV:

Taking the Stage
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2009, 07:12:26 AM »

DR Ben - I'm sorry to hear about all the cost-cutting measures at your workplace and wonder how they're going to affect the program from which I just retired.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2009, 07:33:42 AM »

I'd have to echo elmore:  The Garry Moore Show, Ed Sullivan, and the Bell Telephone Hour as well as The Hollywood Palace.  Actually, I wasn't allowed to stay up for the Garry Moore Show very much, but my parents watched it religiously and I used to listen to it from my bedroom.  It was like radio...I remember particularly "That wonderful, wonderful year!"

BK, I remember The Golden Mall and that theatre well.  I used to work at the Book City in the Golden Mall.  I think I also remember Udana Power.  Was she Texan by any chance?  I think I met her once at a party of old Dallasites a friend gave.  I probably still have a business card of hers tucked in an old phone book someplace.  She seemed, at the time, sort of New Age-ish.  You may have also re-introduced her to me at the Schmidt/Jones night at the Pasadena Playhouse.  Is that possible?

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2009, 07:35:33 AM »

Good morning!

My friend John and I are doing an early lunch so my time on-line this morning may be brief. Beautiful day here, and I'm looking forward to being out in the fresh air and sunshine for part of the day. May be out more than I expect if those Blu-rays I want (THE ROBE, QVO VADIS) don't arrive today.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2009, 07:39:43 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

ABC - UGLY BETTY (last episode before hiatus), GREY'S ANATOMY, PRIVATE PRACTICE
NBC - comedies, ER
FOX - BONES, HELL'S KITCHEN
CBS - NCAA basketball (March Madness)
CW  - SMALLVILLE, SUPERNATURAL

Matt H.

« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2009, 07:42:18 AM »

BK,

Re ANYA:

I ordered the morning the item went live on your Kritzerland site. (Was that a Monday?). My mail server deletes mail after three days unless it's saved, so I can't forward you the invoice, but I definitely got one from Paypal. Remember that the invoice will be under my given name (ugh) Francis.

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2009, 07:44:01 AM »

I will be bitterly disappointed if the Blu-ray of THE ROBE doesn't arrive today. I cannot watch that old DVD version of the movie. As BK said, it's wretched with lots of speckles, spots, dirt, pretty awful color, and a partially cropped picture.

I'm taking a day off primarily to watch it.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2009, 07:44:31 AM »

I must head down to get cleaned up for my early lunch.

WBBL.

DAW

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2009, 07:45:58 AM »

NEWSPAPER BOX GRAVEYARD

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2009, 07:46:22 AM »

BK,

Re ANYA:

I ordered the morning the item went live on your Kritzerland site. (Was that a Monday?). My mail server deletes mail after three days unless it's saved, so I can't forward you the invoice, but I definitely got one from Paypal. Remember that the invoice will be under my given name (ugh) Francis.

DR MattH, since I deduct every CD from my taxes, I print out a receipt for everthing I buy on Paypal. I would think you should be able to deduct a lot of your CD purchases as a reviewer. My Paypal receipt is dated 3/04, if that's any help at all, and I think the site went up about a week later.

I guess LIFE ON MARS, since it's sadly departing in two weeks, is working up a big send off fro the series, I sure hope it comes out on DVD.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 07:50:07 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2009, 08:11:30 AM »

I also have yet to receive ANYA and/or RIO.  And I'm not very far from Valley Village, CA.  ;)
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:13 AM »

ANYA and RIO arrived here today.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:30 AM »

DR CP - I commented on QUICKSILVER yesterday as requested.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:32 AM »

DR Elmore, LIFE ON MARS is already available for pre-order on Amazon.com

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:38 AM »

We have been missing some peoples.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2009, 08:14:26 AM »

DR DAW thanks for the link and the photo.    HMMMMMMMMMM......I may have to buy the book.

I think a couple of anecdotes about Melina and ILLYA DARLING are mentioned in passing in THE SEASON.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2009, 08:16:55 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I've already had a production meeting.  Which, as far as production meetings are concerned, was relatively painless.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2009, 08:17:19 AM »

*Pardon my mixed verb tenses in my previous post.  I think.
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2009, 08:17:33 AM »

DR Elmore, LIFE ON MARS is already available for pre-order on Amazon.com

Thank you, Mikey!

I just checked; you can sign up to be notified when it's available, but I didn't see any pre-order link. I can't believe such a good series is being cancelled. What a moronic network!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 11:53:38 AM by elmore3003 »

DAW

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:45 AM »

You're welcome, DR Jrand58.  The new book is primarily about directing and about Gypsy and West Side Story, I believe.  There are other books on his total life/career.

DAW

« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2009, 08:22:38 AM »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2009, 08:23:45 AM »

You're welcome, DR Jrand58.  The new book is primarily about directing and about Gypsy and West Side Story, I believe.  There are other books on his total life/career.

It's Evil Arthur's chance to lay out everyone who disagrees with him and to defend "his" versions of the facts. He also touches on I CAN GET IT FOR YOU WHOLESALE and other shows, but it's essentially the Gospel According to Arthir" and look out, anyone who dares to challenge it!

DAW

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2009, 08:24:50 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2009, 08:28:12 AM »

For any DRs who may be considering a new cellphone...

The Only Cellphone You Will Ever Need - Sumsing Turbo 3000 Xi Multitask

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

*Sorry, DR DAW - I guess you'll have to watch the clip when you get home. ;)  -Although, I guess you could watch it on you iTouch?  Hmm.... ???
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2009, 08:52:21 AM »

Good morning!

My friend John and I are doing an early lunch so my time on-line this morning may be brief. Beautiful day here, and I'm looking forward to being out in the fresh air and sunshine for part of the day. May be out more than I expect if those Blu-rays I want (THE ROBE, QVO VADIS) don't arrive today.

"The Robe" had me blown away last night.  I've never seen it like this.  The richness in detail is exhilarating.  The score sounds incredible, especially on Audio Channel 6 (isolated).  It's long been one of my top 5 favorite scores and Fox Home Entertainment served the film and the soundtrack very well with this massive restoration.

I noted for the first time in all my many viewings of the film that the photography is quite special -- master cinematographer Leon Shamroy did some incredible work during his career, but most folks know him as the man behind those special filters for "South Pacific".  His work on many films, including "Cleopatra", is exquisite.  Here, working with a brand new medium, you can see the extraordinary efforts Shamroy went to in order to "properly light" his shots, especially those where the only light sources were oil lamps or torches.  When Marcellus bursts into the room in Cana where he learns Demetrius is staying, the light streaming in through the window -- the light by which Demetrius was reading -- is absolutely poetic.

"The Robe" is seldom, if ever, cited for the absolutely clever and innovative composition of images in shots through the film, but director Henry Koster FILLED his screen with highly dramatic placements of people.  Some of the shots are staggeringly beautiful.  The "Palm Sunday" sequence as Marcellus rides toward Jerusalem is stunning.  As the procession passes Demetrius, there is this TRUE sense that Jesus is off camera and "behind us" as we look at Demetrius watching him pass.  Add to that the wonderful scoring and it's an extraordinary cinematic moment.  And this film is FILLED with extraordinary moments -- Marcellus' entry into the slave market, Diana's farewell to Marcellus at the docks in Ostia, the sequence where Demetrius seeks out Jesus in order to warn him of what the Romans are doing and his conversation with Judas (an unbilled Michael Ansara), the entire Crucifixion sequence (and it's extremely moving), Marcellus' madness, the arrival at Capri (stunning shot), the rescue of Demetrius, the chase and the final confrontation with Caligula in the palace are all extremely memorable and satisfying.  I can think of NO CinemaScope film that used the process more dramatically or more satisfyingly (contrast it with MGM's "It's Always Fair Weather" where folks often seem lost in cavernous spaces).

Performances in this film are NOT -- repeat NOT -- under the radar, despite the common pap you read time and time again.  Burton is wonderful as Marcellus, Jean Simmons is exquisite as Diana, and Victor Mature is a revelation as Demetrius.   In fact, Mature probably turns in the best performance of his career in one of the better performances in this film.  Not to be left out is Jay Robinson whose Caligula is one of the finest screen creations I've seen.

I have no idea what the Standard DVD of this film looks like, but I can tell you that in Blu-ray, it's heartbreakingly beautiful.

I was disappointed, however, in the special features section of publicity materials.  I was hoping to see press materials, posters, lobby cards and stills unknown to me.   Instead, I see a rather beat-up copy of the souvenir program (I have two in my collection in far better condition), a few lobby cards from the 1963 reissue set (I have that set, plus 80% of the original lobby set), NO stills from the color front-of-the-house (8 X 10) variety (I have a mint set of these) and nothing but a few black and white samples from the campaign/pressbook (I have a complete pressbook with color stills throughout).  I did see one poster I'd never seen, but I have tons more stuff in my meager collection than was offered.   There were, in one section, some wonderful color portraits I've never seen, including one of Caligula and some posed shots of other actors in the cast. 

I have to say that on the basis of the smiley-boxed "How the West Was Won" and this issue of "The Robe", my investment in Blu-ray has been MORE than worth it!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 08:56:07 AM by Ron Pulliam »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2009, 08:53:30 AM »

In other news...

I talked to my father this morning about the upcoming trip to the Philippines.  It turns out that the reason they've planned this trip so relatively fast, soon, is because my Dad's brother is ill.  Alas, due to flight availability and my own work schedule, it doesn't look like I'll be able to make the trip with them this time.  Apparently, the only available flight the week of April 27 is on April 27 - which is my closing day.  There is a possibility that I could fly out there on May 4, but I'm just not sure I could afford to juggle some of the gigs I already have lined up - and forfeit those pay checks either.

I'm off today, and as I walk around downtown Charleston this afternoon, I'll give it some more thought...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2009, 08:54:20 AM »

Welcome back, DR Ron Pulliam!  ;)
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 10   Go Up