Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: TOGETHER AGAIN  (Read 58908 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: TOGETHER AGAIN
« Reply #240 on: March 19, 2009, 08:11:45 PM »

By the time I got back down into the den to watch '21,' I didn't have enough time left to do so since I was going to have to watch UGLY BETTY "live."

Therefore, I began by watching another MOONLIGHT episode, the one with Mick acting as a personal bodyguard to the Brittney-like star and being stalked by a photographer who saw him get hit by a car and get up and walk away.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #241 on: March 19, 2009, 08:11:51 PM »

And I quickly, and easily got my PC up and running wireless. Very happy I am.

Matt H.

« Reply #242 on: March 19, 2009, 08:12:00 PM »

Page Nine Dance!!!

MBarnum

« Reply #243 on: March 19, 2009, 08:13:55 PM »

Speaking of TV shows, I caught the new show BETTER OFF TED...I only made it through the first 15 minutes before I had to turn it off.

Matt H.

« Reply #244 on: March 19, 2009, 08:15:47 PM »

DR Elmore, I'll have to differ with you about ABC's decision to put UGLY BETTY on hiatus, too. I love the show, but it's been steadily losing audience all season, so I can't blame ABC to try to stop the bleeding by trying something else in the slot. If they flop quickly, ABC will bring BETTY right back. But if they hit, then ABC will look for someplace else to place BETTY. Wednesday at 8 seems like a prime spot to try it since SCRUBS and BETTER OFF TED finished in third place there last night. BETTY might end up there next season if the new comedies make an impact on Thursday next week.

I'm just grateful they haven't canceled BETTY.

Matt H.

« Reply #245 on: March 19, 2009, 08:17:26 PM »

I also watched last night's LAW & ORDER. It was an excellent case with a real surprise twist at the end that I didn't see coming. One of the best L&Os of the season.

Matt H.

« Reply #246 on: March 19, 2009, 08:18:30 PM »

BETTY was a bit frustration for me tonight. So many unhappy relationships. Things smoothed out by the end, of course, but I didn't find many laughs in this week's show. There was quite a bit of angst.

Matt H.

« Reply #247 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:00 PM »

And I loved, loved, LOVED, the marvelous Larry Sullivan on GREY'S ANATOMY tonight as the man with the facial deformities. A great make-up job on him and I was teary-eyed by the end with his story and also Izzie's.

MBarnum

« Reply #248 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:23 PM »

Writer of some of my all time favorite songs passed away:

Jack Lawrence, a songwriter who wrote the lyrics for hits such as "All or Nothing at All," "Tenderly" and "Beyond the Sea," has died. He was 96.

Lawrence, who fractured his pelvic bone in a fall in his Redding, Conn., home Friday, died of complications Sunday at Danbury Hospital, said Richard D. Lawrence, Lawrence's longtime partner whom he adopted.

In a songwriting career that began in the early 1930s, Lawrence had his songs recorded by artists such as Bing Crosby, Nat King Cole, the Andrews Sisters, Ella Fitzgerald, Billie Holiday and Tony Bennett.

Among his songs, written in collaboration, are "Sunrise Serenade," which was recorded by Glenn Miller; and "Yes, My Darling Daughter," a hit for Dinah Shore.

Singer-pianist Michael Feinstein, a friend, said Lawrence had lots of hits through the years but comparatively few became standards.

"A standard is a song that lives through the ages," Feinstein told The Times on Tuesday. "Like many songwriters, a lot of his hits at the time have not endured past the era in which they were popular."

But, Feinstein said, "various other songs were ones that became a veritable theme song" for the performer, and their status as standards was assured.

"Tenderly," he said, became Rosemary Clooney's theme song.

"All or Nothing at All," he said, "was one of Frank Sinatra's early hits that survived because of Sinatra's love of the song and his revising of it and re-recording it through the years."

And "Beyond the Sea" will always be connected with Bobby Darin.

"It was a French song for which an English lyric was created with no success," Feinstein said. "Then Jack wrote a new English lyric, which was successful with an anthemic sort of lyric that matched the majesty of the tune.

"But when Bobby Darin found the song and swung it, it became an instant classic, and people only perform it a la Bobby Darin."

Although Lawrence was primarily a lyricist, he also had great success writing music and lyrics, said Feinstein, who wrote the foreword to Lawrence's 2004 memoir, "They All Sang My Songs."

Lawrence's song "Linda," which he wrote for his lawyer's young daughter, Linda Eastman -- she later married Paul McCartney -- was a big hit for Buddy Clark. And "If I Didn't Care" established the success of the Ink Spots.

The son of Russian immigrants, Lawrence was born in Brooklyn on April 7, 1912. He was a self-taught pianist and began writing songs at age 10.

But after he graduated from high school, his parents urged him to enroll in the First Institute of Podiatry.

He did and graduated in 1933, about the same time his first song, the hit "Play Fiddle Play," written with Arthur Altman and Emery Deutsch, was published.

Lawrence, who served in the Coast Guard and the Merchant Marine during World War II, continued writing songs throughout the war.

His songwriting took him to Hollywood -- he shared a best song Oscar nomination with Richard Myers for "Hold My Hand" in the 1954 comedy "Susan Slept Here" -- and Broadway, for which he wrote music and lyrics for a number of productions, including the 1964-65 musical comedy "I Had a Ball."

In the '80s, Lawrence was both a Broadway producer and owner of the Jack Lawrence and the Audrey Wood theaters.

He was co-producer of off-Broadway's long-running "Other People's Money" and on Broadway with "Lena Horne: The Lady and Her Music" and "Come Back to the 5 & Dime Jimmy Dean, Jimmy Dean."

Lawrence was inducted into the Songwriters Hall of Fame in 1975.

"He was very secure in his place in the songwriting order," Feinstein said. "He knew that he was not the best-known, but he also had the confidence of having had great success through the decades."

Richard Lawrence is his sole survivor.

Matt H.

« Reply #249 on: March 19, 2009, 08:20:46 PM »

And BONES had an entertaining episode, too, even though I guessed the murderer's identity correctly. I enjoyed the new intern.

td

• td
« Reply #250 on: March 19, 2009, 08:31:09 PM »

Welcome DR SweetIrma!  I love the musical based on your French name.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

« Reply #251 on: March 19, 2009, 08:35:52 PM »

I'm jumping off line now and heading down to bed.

Good night!

François

« Reply #252 on: March 19, 2009, 08:56:18 PM »

In tribute to Mr Lawrence and Rosy!

The evening breeze caressed the trees tenderly
The trembling trees embraced the breeze tenderly
Then you and I came wandering by
And lost in a sigh were we
The shore was kissed by sea and mist tenderly
I can't forget how two hearts met breathlessly
Your arms opened wide and closed me inside
You took my lips, you took my love so tenderly

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y2uVG7Ma5CM

They don't write songs like that anymore!!

François

« Reply #253 on: March 19, 2009, 09:03:23 PM »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #254 on: March 19, 2009, 09:04:01 PM »

Back from taping this Sunday's radio show - hope everyone will give a listen - it's all about the nuts and bolts of doing Anya, and a lot about the upcoming Illya Darling.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #255 on: March 19, 2009, 09:10:49 PM »

Good Evening!

And may extend a big, hearty, loving, chocolate-frosting-covered (or vanilla, if you prefer) welcome to newest DR SweetIrma!!!

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #256 on: March 19, 2009, 09:32:29 PM »

So...

I had a wonderful time walking around historic, beautiful, downtown Charleston earlier today.  The weather was gorgeous.  The food was delicious.  And the people were friendly.  I ended up spending almost six hours just wandering around - with two "food breaks". ;)

I spent most of my time on Market Street and East Bay Street.  The open-air Market Street Market was open, so I checked that out for a bit.  The usual assortment of vendors: jewelers, foodstuffs, and souvenirs - all with a Charleston twist. I was particularly fascinated with the "Sweetgrass Baskets" which are all made right at the market by various craftsmen and craftswomen.  I briefly chatted with "Brenda" who said she comes from a long line of basket-weavers: "I've done other types of work, but I always end up coming back to the baskets."

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #257 on: March 19, 2009, 09:38:16 PM »

After walking up and down Market Street four times - I made sure to check out the vendors inside and outside the market, and on both sides of the street - I had worked up an appetite, so...

I settled into lunch at Magnolias.  The theatre's caterer had tipped me off to this place, and said that I had to try their chicken livers.  So... I did. :)

« Last Edit: March 19, 2009, 09:45:35 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #258 on: March 19, 2009, 09:44:30 PM »

I started off my meal at Magnolia's with a cup of their Blue Crab Bisque which was accompanied by a fresh-from-the-oven boule of sourdough bread which was served with a butter-cream-cheese-and-chive spread.  Needless to say, I was smiling.  A lot.

I just sat at the bar since I was dining solo, but the bartender, Chris, chatted me up - and gave me suggestions for my next visit.  -He mentioned something about a "Warm Cream Cheese Pecan Brownie"...

*I also spoke with one of their managers, Brenda.  She informed me that while she was growing up, she was "scarred and scared" of eating chicken livers.  However, once she started working at Magnolias, she got over that fear. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #259 on: March 19, 2009, 09:57:39 PM »

Since I did not have dessert at Magnolias, I worked my way a little further down East Bay Street to Baked.  I had passed by Baked over the weekend, and thought my eyes were deceiving me since the Baked I know is in Brooklyn.  Well, it turns out there is a Baked in Charleston, and it's run by the father of one of the founders/owners of the original Brooklyn location.

[/url]
Larry (a.k.a. Matt's Dad)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: March 19, 2009, 09:59:58 PM »

Oh... And here's what was left of the slice of "Sweet and Salty Cake" I had at Baked:

;D
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #261 on: March 19, 2009, 10:03:37 PM »

And if you'd like to see pics of the Blue Crab Bisque from Magnolias, as well as the previously mention Sweet and Salty Cake, just CLICK HERE.

*And I believe you'll also see some of the other things I've sampled so far during my stay here in Charleston. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #262 on: March 19, 2009, 10:15:26 PM »

After cleaning my plate at Baked, I continued on down East Bay Street...

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #263 on: March 19, 2009, 10:18:19 PM »

I eventually ended up at White Point Garden which not only offers great views of Charleston Harbor, but there are also various Civil War memorials and memorabilia set up throughout the park.  It's also an "Off Leash" park for dogs and other animals... ;)

Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #264 on: March 19, 2009, 10:20:41 PM »

Good Evening!

And may extend a big, hearty, loving, chocolate-frosting-covered (or vanilla, if you prefer) welcome to newest DR SweetIrma!!!

:)

Thank you, Mr Laters!

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #265 on: March 19, 2009, 10:21:44 PM »

Good evening everyone. 
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #266 on: March 19, 2009, 10:28:19 PM »

Good evening everyone. 

Good Evening, DR Sam.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #267 on: March 19, 2009, 10:30:24 PM »

Well... I believe the day has finally caught up with me. -Oh, that's right I had a production meeting this morning.  -And I've also been editing a backlog of photos while watching the TV tonight, so...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

François

« Reply #268 on: March 19, 2009, 10:32:04 PM »

Good evening everyone. 

Sam, You Made The Pants Too Long! :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Ld54UTDKKg

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2009, 10:34:45 PM »

Just relaxing and listening to CDs.  I had a biscotti and some Fruity Snacks, but am still quite full from this afternoon's Pasta Papa.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Up