Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Down

Author Topic: THE GOOD ONE  (Read 44453 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: THE GOOD ONE
« Reply #180 on: March 20, 2009, 03:12:47 PM »

I'd say "Based on the First...and still the Best...Nudie Musical!"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #181 on: March 20, 2009, 03:13:21 PM »

Page 7.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #182 on: March 20, 2009, 03:35:04 PM »

Who is the handsome guy in the middle?  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #183 on: March 20, 2009, 03:50:49 PM »

Laura!  You just made an offer on a condo?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #184 on: March 20, 2009, 03:54:42 PM »

Nudity is in the eyes of the beholder.

That's what I always say.

What do YOU always say?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #185 on: March 20, 2009, 03:59:02 PM »

I think I have a crush on Jean-Paul Belmondo.     :)

I just looked him up on IMDb and I didn't know that he was still alive.  And he's younger than Sondheim (almost a South Pacific reference ;)).

Almost dating age for DR MBarnum!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ Vibes for Our DR Danise! ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #186 on: March 20, 2009, 04:06:33 PM »

And of course the most popular tag line:

Don't reveal our ending!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Laura

« Reply #187 on: March 20, 2009, 04:11:30 PM »

Laura!  You just made an offer on a condo?

We almost made it to 30 years, too.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #188 on: March 20, 2009, 04:36:03 PM »

You have been dropping hints lately. :)

VIBES ALL WORKS OUT FOR YOU!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #189 on: March 20, 2009, 04:40:12 PM »

I've learned that my "primary care giver" who misdiagnosed the abscess in 2004, sending me into two rounds of surgery, and the diabetes in 2008, has retired. I just got a new health card from the HMO with my new doctor, whom I see on Tuesday to get my prescriptions refilled.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #190 on: March 20, 2009, 04:46:15 PM »

GET WELL SOON to JRand 58!
“One thing’s universal,

François

« Reply #191 on: March 20, 2009, 04:50:42 PM »

Broadway’s Bert blows into the Windy City with the National Tour of “Mary Poppins”
Jim Hill chats with Gavin Lee as he & the rest of the cast of this Tony Award-winning musical begin their first week of performances at Chicago’s Cadillac Palace Theatre

So how did Gavin Lee spend his first few days in Chicago? Literally hanging around.

Why For? Well … “When Cameron Mackintosh and Disney decided to send ‘Mary Poppins’ out on the road, they wanted to preserve what made the West End & Broadway versions of this show so special,” Lee explained. ”Which meant Mary’s flight and my walk-around.”

So for the National Tour of this Tony Award-winning musical, Disney Theatrical had this false proscenium built that houses all of the super-secret equipment which sends Ms. Poppins soaring and lifts Bert over the rooftops.  The only problem is – when the stage crew first set this equipment up inside of the Cadillac Palace Theatre – it didn’t work. Not at first, anyway.

“At our very first tech rehearsal, I only made it halfway around,” Gavin laughed. “I had to hang there upside down for a while while the guys figured out what had gone wrong.”

But did this veteran performer fuss & fret as he stood upside down on the proscenium? Nope. Mr. Lee knew that the show’s crack stage crew would eventually solve the problem.  Having spent the past four years playing P.L. Travers’ cheery chimney sweep, Gavin realizes that he’s in good hands when it comes to the “Mary Poppins” production team.

“I originated the role of Bert. So I’ve been working with the folks from Disney Theatrical ever since ‘Mary Poppins’ first tried out in Bristol back in September of 2004,” he explained. “And these folks never ever stint.  They’re always looking for new ways to plus & improve this show.”

Case in point:  “Mary Poppins” “Jolly Holiday” number. In the 1964 film, this Richard M. & Robert B. Sherman song was one of the real highlights of that memorable sequence where Mary, Bert and the Banks children jump into a chalk pavement picture. But since replicating that exact moment from the "Poppins" motion picture would have been next to impossible onstage, this musical’s production team opted to go another way. Which was to borrow a story idea from Travers’ 1943 book, “Mary Poppins Opens the Door.” When this Practically Perfect nanny’s magic temporarily brought a statue in the park to life.

Of course, when it came to the stage version of “Mary Poppins,” bringing just a single statue to life wouldn’t do. Which is why this musical’s production team had Mary enchant an entire park full of statuary. Which then allows Bert to do a soft shoe number with a pair of faux-granite fauns as well as sing some silly rock-related lyrics (ex: “To see a statue dance like that, you can’t believe your eyes. You fear you’ve lost your marbles, though ‘The Thinker’ thinks you’re wise.”)

“What I love about ‘Jolly Holiday’ is that – from Bristol to the West End to Broadway to the U.K. Tour to now the National Tour – the ‘Poppins’ production team kept looking for ways to plus this particular number,“ Lee continued. “They created new set pieces, changed the choreography, sharpening the focus of this whole number. Which is why I think the version that we’re doing here in Chicago – with its lightning-quick costume changes and all of the people in the park who suddenly find themselves sucked into this Technicolor Disney fantasy – may be the very best ‘Jolly Holiday’ of them all.”

As you talk with Gavin, you really get a sense of how proud he is to be associated with the stage version of “Mary Poppins.” More importantly, how he’s just itching to get out on the road with the National Tour and start entertaining theatergoers all over the U.S. Which -- FYI -- officially got underway this past Wednesday with its first public performance at the Cadillac Palace Theatre.

“People really need to come out and see this show,” Lee enthused. “We’ve got this enormous dollhouse version of the Banks house which dances out onto the stage. We’ve got Broadway’s original Mary Poppins, the lovely Ashley Brown. And our hugely talented supporting cast. And me.”

Well, the folks in the Windy City must have been really eager to see Mr. Lee and the other members of the “Mary Poppins” National Tour cast. Because of the high demand for tickets, what was once supposed to have been a 12-week long engagement has now been turned into a 20-week long stand. And beyond that, this National Tour will be making stops in Cleveland (July 17th through August 9th), St. Louis (August 13th – 30th), Minneapolis (September 3rd – 20th), Dallas (September 24th – October 18th) and Los Angeles (November 13th – January 9th, 2010).

Copyright © 2001 - 2008 JimHillMedia.com. All rights reserved.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #192 on: March 20, 2009, 04:52:14 PM »

For MBarnum:

Hey, Mikey!  Look what I scored in an auction last night:

MR Fury will look good on your wall, DR Ron Pulliam!

Mr. Fury would look better in your bed, Mikey!
“One thing’s universal,

François

« Reply #193 on: March 20, 2009, 04:55:51 PM »

“An Evening with Alan Menken” showcased the music of this Academy Award-winning composer

JHM guest columnist Alex Ogle takes us to Lincoln Center, where the man behind the songs in “The Little Mermaid,” “Beauty and the Beast” and “Aladdin” recently shared stories about his work on these classic Disney animated features
As my friend Emily and I found our seats on the far right of the mezzanine, I couldn’t help but overhear the man seated next to us. He turned to his two companions and said: “I’m not sure who’s playing tonight. I think he’s some children’s composer.”

Hardly. Academy Award-winning composer Alan Menken may be many things. But he is not just "... some children's composer." Having written the music for many of Walt Disney Studios’ most successful animated features over the past two decades, Menken is a man who definitely deserves his moment in the sun. Which is exactly what Alan got back on February 20th, when hundreds of musical theater fans made their way to NYC’s Lincoln Center to experience “An Evening with Alan Menken.”

To set the scene a bit, this performance took place in the Allen Room, which has to be one of the most beautiful performance spaces in the city. This is a 600-seat room right above the lobby of the Time Warner Center, the building that housed Patrick Dempsey’s law office in “Enchanted.” The kicker is that the  wall behind the stage is completely made of glass, which gave the audience an amazing view of Columbus Circle, Central Park, and the Upper East Side skyline in the distance.

As the lights went down, a silhouette slowly walked up to the piano, sat down, and the opening strains of “Beauty and the Beast” began. Mr. Menken’s voice, although certainly the voice of a composer more so than a performer, was so inviting and soothing, everyone in the Allen Room immediately recognized that they were in something special.

As the lights came up at the close of "Beauty and the Beast,” Alan turned to the audience and thanked everyone for coming. Menken made it clear that he was excited that night, mentioning that he hadn’t performed with a band in something like twenty-five years.

As part of his introduction for the program’s next number, “Mean Green Mother from Outer Space” from “Little Shop of HorrorsLittle Shop of Horrors ,“ Alan said “This next song was nominated for an Academy Award.” He then quipped “You’re going to be hearing that a lot tonight.” Which is understandable, given that Menken has been nominated for 18 Oscars and won 8. Which is more than any other living composer.

Throughout that evening’s performance, in between each of the songs, Alan would share a bit of history about what was going on in his life at the time of each project. And these stories were some of the best parts of “An Evening with Alan Menken.”

Take – for example -- “Out There” from “The Hunchback of Notre Dame.” As part of his introduction for this song, Alan talked about his somewhat unique collaboration method with Stephen Schwartz. Although these two men obviously enjoy working together, at least once during their writing sessions Menken had to tell Schwartz to just leave the room. Alan then joked that he was the one who was truly responsible for the success of Stephen’s smash hit, “Wicked.”

One of the real highlights of “An Evening with Alan Menken” was hearing Menken perform “Suddenly Seymour” from “Little Shop of Horrors.” This is one of my favorite songs from the Ashman / Menken catalog. And as I listened to his somewhat quirky singing voice, I suddenly realized that Alan Menken is Seymour Krelborn.

Speaking of Howard Ashman, Alan shared a story about “Proud of Your Boy,” a song that he & Howard wrote for “Aladdin” before Ashman passed away in March of 1991. A rewrite of “Aladdin” ‘s storyline resulted in “Proud of Your Boy” being dropped from that animated feature. But when Disney decided to include this song as an extra feature on the “Aladdin” DVD that the Company released in October of 2004, Menken recalled being overcome with emotion at that recording session. To hear Clay Aiken singing Howard’s heartfelt lyric in front of a full orchestra brought back how much Alan missed his old writing partner.

Truth be told, Menken talked a lot about Ashman during his performance in the Allen Room. He recalled how Howard had really wanted to work on “Newsies,” but that Ashman had been too sick at that time to take on the project.

Music from “Newsies” was not the only pleasant surprise of the night. Music from another one of Menken’s under-appreciated projects, “Home on the Range,” was featured as well. As he introduced “Will the Sun Ever Shine Again,” Alan recalled how everyone at Walt Disney Studios felt like this song perfectly put into words what they were feeling in the wake of September 11th.

Another highlight of “An Evening with Alan Menken” was hearing songs that haven’t ever been recorded. Take – for example – “Pink Fish,” which is a song that Alan wrote when he was still an aspiring young performer from Texas. “Pink Fish” is a comic number told from the perspective of a kid from the South who has never before encountered bagels & lox and other aspects of NYC’s deli culture. Having grown up in the suburbs of Pittsburgh and never having experienced a smoked salmon shmeer ‘til I moved to the city a few weeks ago, I immediately got what this character was singing about.

There were so many high points to this evening's entertainment (EX: Menken previewing a number from his new stage musical version of “Sister Act”), that it's genuinely hard to pick out the high point. Though – that said – it was pretty amazing to be able hear Alan sing “That’s How You Know” from “Enchanted” while being able to look out onto Central Park at the very spot where this number from that Disney film was shot.

Although Menken performed many of his songs performed with a band and some backup singers (who he jokingly referred to as his “Menkenettes”), it was the numbers that Alan performed solo that were the most moving. Those songs (more importantly, his performances of these songs) gave you great insight into the man who composed the music for some of The Walt Disney Company’s greatest projects.

As the evening drew to a close, Menken and his band first performed “A Whole New World” from “Aladdin” and then did the title number for Alan’s hopefully-soon-to-be-produced musical adaptation of the film “Leap of Faith.” Which quickly brought the audience in the Allen Room to its feet, roaring their approval. On the heels of this ovation, Menken returned to the stage. And – for his encore – performed “Colors of the Wind” from “Pocahontas.”

As I was walked away from Lincoln Center, I couldn’t help but think about my companion up there in the mezzanine. You know, the guy who thought this evening’s entertainment was going to be about “... some children’s composer”? Given the huge contribution that Menken has obviously already made to the American songbook, I’m hoping that this man came away from the Allen Room with a new appreciation of Alan’s artistry.

I know that I did.

Copyright © 2001 - 2008 JimHillMedia.com. All rights reserved.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #194 on: March 20, 2009, 04:58:44 PM »

Need opinions - the LA Festival of New Musicals asked for art on Nudie Musical - my designer came up with the following, which I think is fun, but what do you think - I came up with the little line under the title, and let me know if you think the based on line is too unwieldy - thoughts and suggestions, please, but I like the feel of it.

I would leave out the word "HIT" and leave the rest the way it is on the poster.  Hit and sensation are too similar.
“One thing’s universal,

François

« Reply #195 on: March 20, 2009, 05:00:35 PM »

I just looked him up on IMDb and I didn't know that he was still alive.  And he's younger than Sondheim (almost a South Pacific reference ;)).

Yes, MrBelmondo is still alive and this is how he looks now!

http://213.139.105.161/var/plain_site/storage/images/people/la-vie-des-people/news/jean-paul-belmondo-divorce/9737485-1-fre-FR/jean_paul_belmondo_divorce_mode_une.jpg

Jane

« Reply #196 on: March 20, 2009, 05:04:58 PM »

I've learned that my "primary care giver" who misdiagnosed the abscess in 2004, sending me into two rounds of surgery, and the diabetes in 2008, has retired. I just got a new health card from the HMO with my new doctor, whom I see on Tuesday to get my prescriptions refilled.

Great news!  I hope this doctor is wonderful!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #197 on: March 20, 2009, 05:14:15 PM »

http://213.139.105.161/var/plain_site/storage/images/people/la-vie-des-people/news/jean-paul-belmondo-divorce/9737485-1-fre-FR/jean_paul_belmondo_divorce_mode_une.jpg

So much for lust.
“One thing’s universal,

DAW

« Reply #198 on: March 20, 2009, 05:14:57 PM »

Hurrah for postive developments for DR Danise!!!!   :D

DAW

« Reply #199 on: March 20, 2009, 05:15:24 PM »

The Bishop's Company....

...is THAT where bk first met The Randy Vicar?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #200 on: March 20, 2009, 05:17:34 PM »

Of course I remember The Bishop's Company - I'll try to write about it next week.

Cillaliz

« Reply #201 on: March 20, 2009, 06:00:39 PM »

Yeah for Danise and Sheena being reunited!!!!

VIBES FOR A POSITIVE OUTCOME~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #202 on: March 20, 2009, 06:03:58 PM »

Tonight's notes will have to be short, but we don't have many readers on the weekend anyway.  But we'll see if I have an anecdote or three.

Laura

« Reply #203 on: March 20, 2009, 06:04:00 PM »

I hope Danise's housing situation gets better now. I am glad she will be reunited with Sheena.

Cillaliz

« Reply #204 on: March 20, 2009, 06:04:18 PM »

Well, not only do I have to pay more taxes than I have in years, but even though all my numbers are really good, I don't have 2 years of income taxes based on my own business, so I can't refinance and take advantage of the new rates.  So I have to pay for the people who made dumb economic decisions and took out bad loans.  Great.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2009, 06:06:07 PM by Cillaliz »

Jane

« Reply #205 on: March 20, 2009, 06:24:36 PM »

Bummer DR Cilla.

Michael

« Reply #206 on: March 20, 2009, 06:26:29 PM »

Ouch!!
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #207 on: March 20, 2009, 06:26:48 PM »

I listened to That Man From Rio while at work today.  Niki, our deli manager, listened to part of it while she was in the office and said it reminded her of Black Orpheus.

I would have listened to Anya, but it really deserves my full concentration, lyrics and music, on the first go-through, and I didn't have time to concentrate like that.  Sorry.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Cillaliz

« Reply #208 on: March 20, 2009, 06:31:20 PM »

Bummer DR Cilla.

It is and it isn't.  The policies that were developed for people in my situation and would have let me refinance before the crisis, are the same policies that were abused and caused the crisis. So, I get why I need the proof and I'll wait, but I don't get the new policies of bailing out people who made bad decisions at the expense of people who lived within their means. 

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #209 on: March 20, 2009, 06:33:06 PM »

Today was the store's 10th anniversary.  Along with all my office work, I also manned the kiddy bowling (at register 14, every kid gets a coloring book), took pictures, helped an elderly couple with a four-piece wicker summer furniture set they wanted to buy, and sundry other tasks.

I'm tired, and feeling wussburgery.  Der Brucer is scrounging for dinner.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 5 6 [7] 8 9 10   Go Up