Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COLLECTOR  (Read 26753 times)

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
Re: THE COLLECTOR
« Reply #120 on: March 30, 2009, 10:45:49 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - I was going to read that book, but if it's that upsetting, perhaps I'll skip it.    :-\

DON'T skip it, it's fabulous. 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #121 on: March 30, 2009, 10:46:18 AM »

Lunch time
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #122 on: March 30, 2009, 10:47:41 AM »

Tammy & Victor are very single-minded, DR DtM....I don't recall that they have talked about anything but themselves and the game either.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #123 on: March 30, 2009, 10:54:33 AM »

Anyone with Playbills and programs - if you have a local theatre company doing a production of one of the shows, they might like to have them for a lobby display.....or even your whole collection for one reason or another.

Hmmm..I wish I had known that when I weeded out my collection about five years ago.  Got rid of programs from repeated visiits, tours and performances that I did not actually attend along with back issues of the monthly Playbill magazine.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #124 on: March 30, 2009, 10:57:02 AM »

Ya know, there really hasn't been anyone to totally dislike on TAR since Mearna and Schmerna.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

DAW

« Reply #125 on: March 30, 2009, 10:59:37 AM »

Again, it could just be editing.

THAT'S my new philosophy!      :D

DAW

« Reply #126 on: March 30, 2009, 11:04:46 AM »

ON THIS DAY IN THEATRE HISTORY:

Lauren Bacall opened in APPLAUSE in 1970 at the Palace Theatre.

And if DR FJL were't buried in tax work, we'd probably have a delightful new entry in the "But Alive" parody gallery to commemorate the fact!  :(

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #127 on: March 30, 2009, 11:09:31 AM »

TOD - I'm sure this will come as a shock to everyone, but it seems like over the years I've been collecting everything Sunset Boulevard.  Mostly, some sort of recording of the song "With One Look" and "The Lady's Paying".  I guess the cast recording collection can be considered a collection, but while it's large, it's not even close to being complete.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #128 on: March 30, 2009, 11:26:11 AM »

TOD:

When we were kids, my brother collected matchbooks.  Grandma wrote, "I'm sending some more matchbooks for Richard.  What does Bill collect?" I guess I felt there was something wrong with not collecting anything, and I spent days trying to think of something to collect.  I didn't realize at the time that the impulse comes first, the collection after.

But when I was in high school, I read in Clifton Fadiman's introduction to an edition of Alice in Wonderland, "...you may even find La Aventuroj de Alicio en Mirlando, which, if you must know, is Alice in Esperanto."  Being a budding Esperantist at the time, I wrote to the Esperanto-Asocio de Nord-Ameriko, and they said they had one copy, in fair condition, and sold it to me for something like a dollar, which was great for a 1911 paperback in actually pretty bad condition.  I had it rebound when I was in college, and now you can find it at Project Guttenberg.

So that began a growing collection of translations of Alice.  Guided by Warren Weaver's Alice in Many Tongues, I managed to acquire, mainly during the '70s, German, French, Italian, Spanish translations, Vladimir Nabokov's Russian version (not rare in the Dover reprint I have), Czech, Latin, Hungarian, Swedish, Dutch,  two different Japanese, a Chinese, and the newer Esperanto translation by Donald Broadribb.  I have translated all the poems from the two Alice books into Esperanto, and those versions were on my late, lamented website, and will be again--they were heartily praised by the British Esperanto poet Marjorie Bolton for my rendering of Carroll's British cultural references to equivalents in Esperanto culture. 

Along the way, I picked up some versions of Through Looking-glass, and began accumulating translations of St.-Exupery's Le Petit prince--in English, Spanish, all the usual culprites, Esperanto, and--joy of joys!--papiamentu, which I happened upon in a bookstore on Aruba.

I have a Hobbit in Spanish and the complete Lord of the Rings in William Auld's Esperanto translation.  I am lusting after the Latin Harry Potter, but if I start on Rowling, it will never end--her books must be in every language on earth and outsell the Bible regularly.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 11:28:09 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #129 on: March 30, 2009, 11:27:34 AM »

Ya know, there really hasn't been anyone to totally dislike on TAR since Mearna and Schmerna.

Betsy and I loved Mirna and Schmirna!  We still laugh about the "evil sheep" moment.  "It's that one!"
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #130 on: March 30, 2009, 11:28:25 AM »

BK himself once commented that my Percy Faith collection was excessive.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #131 on: March 30, 2009, 11:28:38 AM »

As he stood gazing at it longingly.

MBarnum

« Reply #132 on: March 30, 2009, 11:28:50 AM »

I forgot that I also collected stamps when I was a kid, starting in about 6th or 7th grade. Had a darn nice collection, too.

JMK

« Reply #133 on: March 30, 2009, 11:29:11 AM »

I collected Saturday Evening Posts when I was a kid and I still have a huge stack of them which date back into the 19th century.

DAW

« Reply #134 on: March 30, 2009, 11:30:28 AM »

the Latin Harry Potter

I didn't know about this - what fun!     :)

Today's TOD has inspired some fascinating posts.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #135 on: March 30, 2009, 11:40:54 AM »

At the office... Waiting for the boss to get back from lunch and/or meeting... So that he can sign my paycheck... La-dee-da, dee-day...
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #136 on: March 30, 2009, 11:41:05 AM »

More on TOD:

During the Rubik's Cube frenzy in the '70s, I solved the puzzle forthwith and procrastinated writing a book on it--within months there were about a dozen.  DR vixmom also solved it, and when I told her she had been doing math, she was stunned--"I'm terrible in math," she whined.  Nonetheless, it's math.

That led to a collection of all those variations on the cube that were coming out in those days:  2x2x2 and 4x4x4 as well as the traditional 3x3x3; octohedra, tetrahedrea, octagonal prisms; as well as the traditional cube with different markings on it:  calendars, flags of all nations, animals, and DR vixmom brought me one from Hawaii with all the islands on different faces.  Those sit on a shelf at work as I type, knowing that I would be hard pressed to solve the cube today, not having touched it for many years.
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #137 on: March 30, 2009, 11:43:44 AM »

RE: Matchbooks - A friend of mine documents her restaurant meals by not only writing the date of the meal on the matchbook, but by having her dining companions sign the matchbook too. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #138 on: March 30, 2009, 11:49:39 AM »

DAW wrote in « Reply #14 on: Saturday 03/28/09 08:03:06 »
Tonight, the synagogue where my DH plays is hosting a cabaret night featuring Jonathan Schwartz

Ah, me!  I was featured on Schwartz's radio program alas these thirty years ago.  Well, not quite featured, but mentioned.  Cabaret singer Cathy Carpino was his guest, and she sang a song with my lyrics and Michael Kingsley's music.  Strange, I cannot remember today whether it was "Fly to Carracas" or "Learning to Love Rainy Days", both of which were lyrics I had written to Michael's rags.  I'm having a McCain moment here.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:08:37 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

DAW

« Reply #139 on: March 30, 2009, 11:54:42 AM »

DAW

« Reply #140 on: March 30, 2009, 11:56:06 AM »

DAW

« Reply #141 on: March 30, 2009, 11:56:43 AM »

DR William F. Orr, you are a man of many mysteries.  And talents!!      :)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #142 on: March 30, 2009, 11:58:26 AM »

And from DR JoseSPiano in « Reply #70 on: Saturday 03/28/09 13:03:48 »   
And now for something completely different... And very moving and inspirational...  *And I'm sort of surprised I didn't come across this before today.

Karl Paulnack To The Boston Conservatory

Thank you so much, Jose.  I have saved this speech and printed it out for rereading.  Perhaps Bobby Jindal should have a copy, as he is about to cut arts funding to next to nothing, on the grounds that the arts are unnecessary frivolities.  As though New Orleans without jazz would still be New Orleans.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 12:07:58 PM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #143 on: March 30, 2009, 12:02:39 PM »

Oh... And since there really is no time like the present, I called my parents to see if I could still travel to the Philippines with them. Well, it turns out they had to shift their travel dates, so... I should know by the end of the day if I'll be going back to the Islands.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #144 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:26 PM »

Way cool, DR JoseSPiano.   ***VIBES*** that it all comes together.    :)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #145 on: March 30, 2009, 12:06:59 PM »

DR William F. Orr, you are a man of many mysteries.  And talents!!      :)

Thank you. 

And I love the Hofnung pictures, always have.

As to my Alphabetic Musicals Project:  I listened to A Connecticut Yankee during my weekend shopping and into work this morning.  On the way home I will finally move out of the C's and into Dames at Sea.  I think there's a pun or two in there somewhere fighting to get out.
--Wayland Flowers

DAW

« Reply #146 on: March 30, 2009, 12:07:25 PM »

I have saved this speech and printed it out for rereading. 

I printed it out to read later.  And it sounds like it's well worth reading!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #147 on: March 30, 2009, 12:07:55 PM »

DR WFO - You're most welcome. I had to read it in stages since I kept crying as I read it. ::)

*And reading that along with "Mozart in the Jungle", I've been having a lot of "light bulb moments" the past few days.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #148 on: March 30, 2009, 12:11:12 PM »

I love the Hofnung cartoons too! In fact, I have a small collection of notecards somewhere in storage. They were some of the first souvenirs I bought at the Kennedy Center gift shop when I was about 11 or 12 years old.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #149 on: March 30, 2009, 12:12:26 PM »

Yeah! Boss is back. Check is signed.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9   Go Up