Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COLLECTOR  (Read 26233 times)

DAW

Re: THE COLLECTOR
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2009, 08:19:31 AM »

As it's a given that my next house will be smaller than my last one

*IF* you ever decide to leave Florida for L.A.          ;)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2009, 08:20:59 AM »

And A Millstone of my own-The Number of My Posts equals the Year I was Born.

Huzzah I guess

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2009, 08:23:44 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And I don't have to work today. :)

*Although, I do have to head into the office/studio for a little while just to take care of some non-show-related work.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2009, 08:24:33 AM »

I noticed the UPS man pulled up alongside my house a little while ago though I didn't see if he got out on my side to deliver a package or the other side to go across the street. I'll head down now to check on that. Then, it's off to get cleaned up for lunch out with best friend John.

WBBL.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: March 30, 2009, 08:28:33 AM »

And I guess I should "Thank" the maintenance team here at Edgewater Plantation for being my alarm clock this morning.  I ended up staying up late (early?) last night to finish reading Blair Tindall's "Mozart in the Jungle".  And then I needed another hour or two for my mind - and "heart" - to stop racing, to calm down.  That happened around 6:15am.  Four hours later, I heard the knocking.. "Maintenance".  -At least they knocked at 10:30 instead of 8:30.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #65 on: March 30, 2009, 08:33:54 AM »

Woody holding his wood guitar.

photo:   Finian's Rainbow

DAW

« Reply #66 on: March 30, 2009, 08:34:42 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - I was going to read that book, but if it's that upsetting, perhaps I'll skip it.    :-\

Kerry

« Reply #67 on: March 30, 2009, 08:35:41 AM »

Good Morning, All!
I like boat races.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #68 on: March 30, 2009, 08:39:25 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I'd consider myself more of a "pack rat" rather than a "collector".  However, I do have tendencies to "gather" CDs, cookbooks, sheet music, Playbills, ticket stubs, etc., etc., etc.

I did go through a phase when I was a "completist": Whenever I saw a show I would buy (if available) the script, the score, the poster, the t-shirt, the cap, the mug, the magnet...  Of course, I never had the wall space to hang all the posters - nor the extra cash to invest in decent frames.  Due the size of my head - literally speaking ;) - I could never wear baseball caps (I'm almost an 8). I never drink coffee that much at home. And I was always afraid to wear the t-shirts since I didn't want to ruin them by wearing and washing them.  But at least I had them. ;)

I would do the same thing with a piece of classical music that I happened to hear in concert. I would buy the score, and then a couple of different recordings of the piece, as well as other recordings by the soloist and/or orchestra.  -Some of the clerks at Tower Records in DC knew me on a first name basis. I also believe I had all but a handful of the "Three Rosettes" recordings listed in the first few volumes of the Penguin Guides.  -And I still have those Penguin Guides - six or seven inches-thick paperback books - sitting on a shelf... In my parents' house. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #69 on: March 30, 2009, 08:41:09 AM »

Tonight I am attending a concert by Chanticleer, American's pre-eminant all-male professional choir.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 08:43:59 AM by DAW »

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2009, 08:41:27 AM »

Woody holding his wood guitar.

photo:   Finian's Rainbow

"Hey, yeah, this bit of wood of mine has a really long neck.  Wanna watch me strum it?"

;D ::)

(Just remember, DAW started it!)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2009, 08:46:22 AM »

TOD:  Yes, I collect.  Boy, do I collect.  I have always collected, Books, LP's, art, photos, junk.  I never set out to collect or focused on any one thing; I just bought what I liked and was limited to what I could afford.  Some piecves have turned out to be wonderful investments, although this doesn't appear to be the time to sell anything.
Like Bruce, I also love drawings and paintings by illustrators.  One of my prizes is an original Richard Amsel painting that he did for the cover on a book about Tarzan.  I also have a copy of the paperback bbok with that cover.  I was lucky enough to get this through an auction at Illustration House.
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2009, 08:47:13 AM »

Tonight I am attending a concert by Chanticleer, American's pre-eminant all-male professional choir.

Amazing, how they've managed to get their blacks to all match!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Kerry

« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2009, 08:47:35 AM »

And A Millstone of my own-The Number of My Posts equals the Year I was Born.

Huzzah I guess

Happy Millstone.  Have an eggroll!
I like boat races.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2009, 08:49:23 AM »

DRs Laura, Sam, George, Jose, & Jennifer, the vibes are much appreciated.

Jane

« Reply #75 on: March 30, 2009, 08:50:08 AM »

DR Laura Your pastor does have make a good point ;) ;D

Jane

« Reply #76 on: March 30, 2009, 08:54:53 AM »

From Larry:
Nursie, I liked LITTLE DORRIT very much. The first episode is typical: a million characters to keep track of and a lot of information that will pay off later. I first thought Mrs Clennim was a nice old lady but the wonderful actress Judy Parfitt imakes her a mass of contradictions and I am wondering if she may be perhaps not such a nice old lady.

I do believe this novel may contain the first British lesbian in print; the only other ones I can think of  in 19th-century literature are the whore-actress Nana who flaunts her lover in front of the men paying her for sex in Zola's novel and Mlle Danglars and her singing teacher in THE COUNT OF MONTE CRISTO.

Thank you for the review.  Granted it as been a number of years since I read either book, however I don't remember a lesbian in either one.  I don't remember much of LITTLE DORRIT so that is understandable.  I suspect I was too young to pick up on it in THE COUNT, at least the first time I read it. ;D

DAW

« Reply #77 on: March 30, 2009, 08:57:22 AM »

DAW

« Reply #78 on: March 30, 2009, 08:58:20 AM »

Boy, do I collect. 

And you share, too!     ;D

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #79 on: March 30, 2009, 08:59:02 AM »

DR JoseSPiano - I was going to read that book, but if it's that upsetting, perhaps I'll skip it.    :-\

You should still read it, DR DAW.  I went through a vast array of emotions and reactions while reading it.  There is a good deal of investigative journalism presented in the book, and that information was fascinating.  Frankly, I was surprised, as well as a little ashamed, for not knowing more about this country's recent musico-business history.  -Especially in regards to the whole Broadway scene.

Some of the truly personal recollections in the book were quite eye-opening.  Ms. Tindall was only born eight years before I was, but what a difference those eight years made in the how and the why of her upbringing and professional pathways.  She is very forthcoming with the details of her personal life - which includes sexual dalliances with a number of men.  Some of the men that she's been involved with have been "regular Joe's", while others have been famous or at least "known". And how she got permission (legal or otherwise) to name some of those "names" is, well... I mean, I guess I now know that Keith Lockhart is straight - and that he cheated on his wife.

Because she too came from a classical background and then ended making a living working on Broadway, I recognized a lot of the names that she mentioned throughout the book.  In fact, I know(!) some of the people she mentions in the book - and not all of them are presented in a flattering light.  I've already mentioned her connection to the great collaborative pianist, Sam Sanders, and reading about how their relationship and his life played out until his final days was heartbreaking.

The book became a more personal read than I expected it too.  However, now that I think of it, it was recommended to me by a friend and professional colleague after we had chatted with last year.  We had both just come out of one of those inevitable professional/personal funks, and she mentioned the book.  And now, a year later, well, I'm glad I didn't get to reading it until now. All in timing.

Definitely food for thought.
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #80 on: March 30, 2009, 09:03:06 AM »

DR Jennifer, I guess your niece thought you were her mother ;

Jane

« Reply #81 on: March 30, 2009, 09:03:35 AM »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: March 30, 2009, 09:04:47 AM »

Back to "Mozart in the Jungle" for a bit...

After I finished the book, I decided to go ahead and look up some of Blair Tindall's latest writings. I knew that she had written for the New York Times, so I started with NYTimes.com.  After doing a search for "Blair Tindall", I notice that the most recent article by her was dated in 2005.  Hmm... So after some further Googling, I came across her websites and her blog, as well as a post on TheSmokingGun.com about an incident involving her and Bill Nye "The Science Guy".  The restraining order against her is posted on the site.  Hmm...

Balanced everything out, I guess.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #83 on: March 30, 2009, 09:11:38 AM »

Are they presenting one of their more traditional programs tonight? Or is this performance part of their "new" tour for this season?

*If that picture is of their current roster of singers, it's good to know that Michael McNeil is still with them.  I saw him during his first tour with the group a few years ago.  Truly one of the most amazing male sopranos I've ever heard - and it seemed like he had even pleasantly surprised - and inspired -  his fellow singers.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #84 on: March 30, 2009, 09:14:19 AM »

Amazing, how they've managed to get their blacks to all match!

Photoshop, DR SWW, Photoshop.  ;)
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 09:16:00 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #85 on: March 30, 2009, 09:19:02 AM »

I was expecting this-lol.

Gosh, it's horrible being so predictable.    :)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #86 on: March 30, 2009, 09:19:48 AM »

And for any DRs contemplating future travel plans...

Jet Blue started another airfare sale today.  Hmmm... R/T from NYC-SFO for about $215.  Hmmm..

And QuikBook is starting another NYC hotel room sale tomorrow.
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2009, 09:21:14 AM »

Thanks for the input on the book, DR JoseSPiano.  I guess I'll give it a try.  Despite the restraining order.  :)

*If that picture is of their current roster of singers

That I do not know.  They seem to have had a much higher rate of "turnover" in recent years than they used to.  And as for tonight's program - I don't know the answer that, either.   :-\

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #88 on: March 30, 2009, 09:21:26 AM »

OK, it's time for me stop frittering away and Twittering away my day off.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #89 on: March 30, 2009, 09:22:14 AM »

I like the mental image of a photohop.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up