Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COLLECTOR  (Read 26212 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE COLLECTOR
« on: March 30, 2009, 12:07:34 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were collectible, and now it is time for you to post until the collectible cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: THE COLLECTOR
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2009, 12:09:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: LUDIC!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2009, 12:27:20 AM »

As George pointed out in the other thread, I guess I've achieved 47,000 postings.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2009, 12:36:54 AM »

I'm watching the TCM tribute to Chuck Jones from last week.  They showed a dozen or show short cartoons (maybe less), as well as "The Phantom Tollbooth," which I've never seen.  There was another long cartoon that I decided not to record, but I don't remember what that was.  I had recorded the first three hour block to my DVD burner, but there was an emergency alert broadcast during the recording and the playback stopped.  The recording didn't.  I thought that the EAB might've happened during the original recording onto my DVR, but fortunately that didn't happen.  I just have to re-record the shows onto my DVD burner.

Isn't that just thrilling?? ;D

;)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2009, 12:39:20 AM »

Collections?  I suppose that you could say that I collect Kritzerland CDs. ;)

But actually, I collect key chains/key rings.  I have no preference as to what kind.  Anything and everything.  What's great is that when friends/co-workers go on trips, they can't afford to get everyone a gift, but key chains are very cheap, so they usually get ME something. :D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2009, 12:48:32 AM »

To bed.

8)

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2009, 01:02:42 AM »

Yes, I am up late (early).  Long story.  Boring.

On to collections.  I started my Farmer collection before eBay and like Bruce loved the hunt and the score.  Finding the three 1937 Life Magazines she was in was one of my first major achievements because I had nothing to go on.  I found a decrepit used bookstore in Portland with piles of magazines all over the floor and I literally just spent an afternoon there until I had found all three.  Years later trying to find the 1941 Sunset that had a Natural Gas ad featuring Frances in her lovely Santa Monica home (next to the Del Rio/Gibbons manse) was also a snark hunt.

Once eBay came along, I was overwhelmed with the kinds of items that were available and, like Bruce, I just bought and bought and bought, frequently on pure whimsy, just because it was there.  Interestingly, though, some of my coolest Farmer items have come extra-eBay, through email connections and the like.  I think my favorite thing in that regard is her obviously one of a kind Passport from 1935, the Passport that took her on her journey to Europe and Russia and ultimately Paramount Pictures.  But there are some other cool items I *did* get on eBay, like one of the few copies of Ferber's Come and Get It she must have signed at the Bon Marche in Seattle during the film's premiere, before storming off refusing to sign someone else's book, LOL. 
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2009, 01:08:26 AM »

And for those of you waiting breathlessly to the one degree of separation between Frances and Kritzerland, it's Chet Forrest and Robert Wright, adapters of "Anya," who wrote the lyric to the theme from Frances' film "South of Pago Pago."  That film had a bit played by Arnold Biberman, who went on to direct Miss Susan Gordon in an episode of "Ben Casey."
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

DAW

« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2009, 02:48:34 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS to bk on his lofty new perch in the HHW firmament!   :)

Jennifer

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2009, 05:36:38 AM »

Job vibes for DR Jane's DS Craig. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Jennifer

« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2009, 05:38:19 AM »

My brother-in-law was painting the baby's room this weekend so my niece (and sister) stayed over for 2 days.  My niece slept with me and when she woke up this morning she said, "what are you doing here?"  I said, 'it's my bed!" :)

The funnier part was then she said, "no it's auntie's bed!". I said "I am auntie!"

Jennifer

« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2009, 05:42:05 AM »

TAR SPOILERS

SPACE

SPACE

ui iu iu iu iu woiwiuekj he she be me we che lee let vet het get chet wet met net pet
one theoeoeo  iu iu iu iu iu iu low wow bowow wiuiu iu iu iu iu iuoiuoiuoiuoiu jklljk
whow woiwiuekj he she be me we che lee let vet het get chet wet met net pet
DR Jrand why do you dislike the red-heads? they are my favorite team!
Although i think that tammy/and victor (my second fav team) are the strongest
by far.  I just love the red-heads. They are improving a lot. And they seem really
sweet and kind. I'm surprised anyone would dislike them!  Btw, i was sad to see
the team that went go. It just shows that one stupid mistake (someone telling
them the gorilla statue was near the beach) and cost you the whole race!
auoida iu iu iu iu iulkjlkjewiuo 78 87 ilaejlka kjl oui oiu jk ui ui ljkalkj kj kj kj kjkjljk
let bet met eiuoeriu  het eekeke klele why oh why whe hey there one two three
four five sixe fdiu  pick up sticks si ui iu iu iu iu iul let us go le drum rum tum lum

Jennifer

« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2009, 05:49:33 AM »

MORE TAR SPOILERS

re: DR Cillaliz's comments from last night

· Bracelets · Earrings · Pendants · Rings · Sets · Bracelets · Earrings · Pendants
 Pendants · Rings · Sets · Bracelets . Earrings · Pendants · Rings · Sets . Pendants
dfjkldf saui oaoiu iou lwow ioeriu iu iu iu ljkweoui oiu oiu ljkweklj werl kjerwlkj jlk f 
DR Cillaliz i actually totally agree with what you wrote yesterday about the
stuntmen. I actually liked them better last night (even though they pulled that
stunt) than in the past. They are growing on me. They aren't my fav team. But
at least they showed a lot of personality. And in regards to them putting all the
bike stuff in that bin. IT wasn't right. BUt at least it wasn't malicious. They wanted
an advantage and were sort of being sneaky. jk lkj lkj lkj lkj klj lwoiweoiu ui iu iu
oui oui oui oui oiu ljk lkj ui 78 iuj kj kj kj kj kj kj klj lkj lkjlkjlkjkjlkljlkjlkjlkjkjkljjklkjlkjlkjlj
· Bracelets · Earrings · Pendants · Rings · Sets · Bracelets · Earrings · Pendants
 Pendants · Rings · Sets · Bracelets . Earrings · Pendants · Rings · Sets . Pendants
dfjkldf saui oaoiu iou lwow ioeriu iu iu iu ljkweoui oiu oiu ljkweklj werl kjerwlkj jlk f 

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2009, 05:57:55 AM »

Congrats to MR BK on 47.000 posts!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2009, 05:59:12 AM »

Doing some stuff.....back later.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

FJL

« Reply #15 on: March 30, 2009, 05:59:15 AM »

Congrats to BK on his new plateau

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #16 on: March 30, 2009, 06:00:28 AM »

Good morning, all! I'm off to Toyland for a bit and then back here to continue my edits on the Main Report for the new BIT edition.

On my way home, I need to stop at the post office and mail to Mr Kim Kowalke of the Kurt Weill Foundation a CD he requested of me. And that leads to the TOD: for a while I collected records and CDs but the inventory got too large and cumbersome, most of the new recordings of shows I loved sucked for various reasons and I stopped caring about thebulk and began paring down the collection to essentials. I also collect books on orchestration and authors I loke and books on composers I admire and scores, both orchestral - miniature and full - of musical theatre: opera, ballet, and musicals.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

FJL

« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2009, 06:07:05 AM »

I collected theater ticket stubs rather completely and thoroughly for a long long time.  They were much easier to keep as a memory than the Playbills (which I gave up keeping long ago).  But the proliferation of printable full-sheet tickets somehow helped stopped the completeness insanity of my ticket collection.  I'm not sure whether I'm grateful for the madness being stopped or bothered that they're no longer automatically the easy and compact keepsakes they once were.  :)  I have a dear friend who will not voluntarily opt for the full-sheet printable tickets no matter how convenient that purchase option might otherwise be at the moment, because there is no traditional ticket to keep if you choose that option.

Laura

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2009, 06:13:16 AM »

I used to do the same, FJL, until the collection became too large. Of course, mine were the local shows and the tours, so I knew they had no value at all. So I dumped them all. I didn't have room for it.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #19 on: March 30, 2009, 06:15:35 AM »

TOD

Lessee...

I've my cookbook collection (over 425 titles).

Der B has his collection of playbills (unknown quantity).

We share our collections of DVDs and CDs (How many?  Oompityfratz is about as good a number as I can think of.)

Which, I suppose, is better than collecting dust.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #20 on: March 30, 2009, 06:18:49 AM »

There has, of course, been a collection of dogs that have shared their lives with us over the years.  Eightteen so far, if you include JJ, the cat.  (JJ was an honorary dog.)  Some have been with us for a very short time as foster children.  Some have been with us their entire lives.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #21 on: March 30, 2009, 06:30:53 AM »

BK, like you I'm a hopeless collector:  Books:  I have probably five to six thousand -- mostly late 19th century to 20th century adventure, mystery, fantasy, historical fiction.  A huge portion of the books is film and theatre, particularly plays.  Many of the books don't have any inherent value (though many do)...I've never bought a book I don't intend to read at some point. 

When I moved from LA, I got rid of about 200 books...mostly seconds or what I call "behinders" --editions of books that I have upgraded and put on the shelf behind those books displayed there.  It's the only time I've ever gotten rid of books.

I still have about 3,000 comics that I collected in college and a few years later.

I have sprawling CD, DVD, and video tape collections.

Most of the art in my home is comprised of vintage movie posters.

For a while, I dabbled in collecting walking sticks.

I also think I have a programme for every play I've ever been to since I started going to the theatre seriously in high school.  One of the nice things about the home here in Kentucky is that there were photo display rails in the Hall in the library and they make a perfect place to show off the programs in a rotating display which I change every so often.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:32:55 AM by Charles Pogue »

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: March 30, 2009, 06:32:06 AM »

TOD:

I've collected a lot of different crap stuff over the years:  comics, old magazines, LPs, CDs, toys and action figures,  toy robots, cereal premiums, Peanuts items, Popeye items... 

The trouble with me is that I'm cheap and I could never make that leap to become a true collector who will put out the money for the truly valuable items.  I've let slip by a lot of Holy Grails--the Remco LOST IN SPACE Robot, the LOST IN SPACE Switch 'n' Go playset, the Chien Charlie Brown talking bus--all because I didn't want to pay that high a price for them.

The two items that I did pay for:  the Marx Mr. Magoo Jalopy (an early eBay purchase and I did get it at a good price considering it's near mint condition) and the often bragged about Alexis Smith Tony Award, both of which I continue to cherish.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #23 on: March 30, 2009, 06:39:09 AM »

I've mentioned here before that while I was initially ecstatic over the treasure troves that became available via eBay, I've come to feel that it has also put a damper on my desire to collect.  The site has made collecting much much too easy.  I don't even have to really be vigilant these days--I search and more than likely, the sought-for item is there, in one condition or another.  The thrill of the chase is gone.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #24 on: March 30, 2009, 06:40:52 AM »

Aside from 1000s of movies/TV shows on DVD, I collect theatrical/motion picture memorabilia.

I have 10 signed/numbered Al Hirschfelds, plus many original lobby cards/posters/sheet music signed by various stars.

Because of my move, I've been selling a lot of these pieces off because there will not be room for them in out new house.

Among the items I'm keeping are LCs of STAGE DOOR (signed by Hepburn, Rogers & Ball), BLACK LEGION (signed by Bogart), G-MEN (Cagney), BODY & SOUL (Garfield), BAND OF ANGELS (Gable), JACK AND THE BEANSTALK (both Abbott & Costello), THE TALL T (Randolph Scott & Budd Boetticher), THE MAN WHO SHOT LIBERTY VALANCE (Wayne) and CITIZEN KANE (Welles).

I'm also fond of pieces of sheet music signed by George M. Cohan, Al Jolson, Jack Benny and Fred Astaire/Rita Hayworth.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:52:46 AM by Druxy »
You can dream…or you can do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #25 on: March 30, 2009, 06:41:34 AM »

My mother collected bells.

It wasn't intentional, at first.  And it was kinda sorta my fault.

I'd given her a glass dinner bell one year, as a Christmas present.  And, lacking imagination (and not really being satisfied with the sound of that first bell), gave her a second glass bell after that.  Then I found a chrystal bell, which was much nicer.  And we kinda sorta thought that was enough.

But then, Mom was looking for something to put on the mantle, as a decoration, and she took the three bells and put them together.  And then she had a thought.  She added to the three bells a small brass bell that looked like it had some from India, and a cow bell, something we had used when I was younger when one of us was ill as a way of signalling for attention.  So that started her collection of bells.

The collection slowly grew, in bits and pieces.  She'd find something at a charity event, or while travelling.  The year der Brucer and I went to England and Germany, I found three bells to give her - a Wedgewood bell in blue, a small Swarovski bell with a very nice tinkley sound, and a wooden-handled bell from Amsterdam.  Mom never got to Europe herself.  Those three bells were her way of having been there.  Kinda, sorta.

By this time, she and Dad had moved from Burbank to Sonora, where the bells were on display on a large shelf that separated the living room from the stairway to the basement.  Also on display were the quilted pieces she had made, and needlepoint, but it was the bells that caught people's attention.  And it was bells that people would give her, whether it be as a birthday present or some secret Santa gift.  She knew where each and every bell had come from, of course.

After she died, of a cancer that we thought had been taken care of when I was in Junior High but instead had lurked for years in the shadows before returning with renewed viciousness, Dad relocated the collection to a special display case. 

It was a shock, therefor, when my sister declared that she wanted the bell from India and the cowbell back.  "Those are mine," she told us.  No, they became Mom's.  They were the seeds of a grand collection.  The rest of the collection, my sister had no interest in.

It's been years since I've been to that house in Sonora, separated by long drives and now by an entire continent.  It wouldn't surprise me to find the cowbell and the little bell from India gone.  But I'm sure the rest of the collection remains where it is, where it should be.  My step-mother knew my mother, knew what those bells meant to her.  In fact, I think she gave my mother one or two of those bells herself.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 06:43:44 AM by S. Woody White »

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #26 on: March 30, 2009, 06:49:42 AM »

There have been many times during this move, which will (hopefully) happen this week, where I have seriously considered getting rid of everything.  Because of the delays, these posters and LCs have been packed up for over a month now.  Out of sight.  Out of mind.

We are prisoners of our possessions.  Just think of how free we would all be without them.

I remember when I first moved to Los Angeles (from Seattle) when I was 22-years-old.

Everything I owned fit in the trunk & back seat of my car.  That's the way it was for the first few years I lived here, too.

There was something nice about that kind of freedom.
You can dream…or you can do.

Laura

« Reply #27 on: March 30, 2009, 06:49:48 AM »

Most of my e-bay purchases were Evelyn Nesbit and Marilyn Monroe vintage postcards for my girls. I believe they still have them all, too.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2009, 06:52:10 AM »

Oh, thrill of thrills!  I may be driving again today!

Der B has a doctor's appointment, this time off in Long Neck.  The doctor had his office here in Rehoboth, but for some reason (probably rising rents) has moved.  Der B has been quite disgruntled about that, of course, but these appointments need to be kept from time to time.  And better for me to get stopped without a licence (yet) than he.  At least it will be the first time stopped if I'm behind the wheel.

::)

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2009, 06:53:42 AM »

TAR SPOILERS
SPACE
SPACE
ui iu iu iu iu woiwiuekj he she be me we che lee let vet het get chet wet met net pet
one theoeoeo  iu iu iu iu iu iu low wow bowow wiuiu iu iu iu iu iuoiuoiuoiuoiu jklljk
whow woiwiuekj he she be me we che lee let vet het get chet wet met net pet
DR Jrand why do you dislike the red-heads? they are my favorite team!
Although i think that tammy/and victor (my second fav team) are the strongest
by far.  I just love the red-heads. They are improving a lot. And they seem really
sweet and kind. I'm surprised anyone would dislike them!  Btw, i was sad to see
the team that went go. It just shows that one stupid mistake (someone telling
them the gorilla statue was near the beach) and cost you the whole race!
auoida iu iu iu iu iulkjlkjewiuo 78 87 ilaejlka kjl oui oiu jk ui ui ljkalkj kj kj kj kjkjljk
let bet met eiuoeriu  het eekeke klele why oh why whe hey there one two three
four five sixe fdiu  pick up sticks si ui iu iu iu iu iul let us go le drum rum tum lum

SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS SPOILERS
I was also sorry to see Mike and Mel go last night, too.  I like them a lot but they were not a powerful team.

I kind of like the redheads, myself.  It seems weird that the show last night suddenly tried to put them in a bad light (the one is being portrayed as impatient and mean.)  But I guess because there are no out-and-out villians, the show has to try to create some kind of drama.

My favorite team continues to be Luke and Margie, but I'm beginning to doubt that they will make the final three.  AS it stands now, I think that could only happen if either Tammy and Victor or the redheads or the short guys make a big mistake.  The previews show the short guys blowing a fuse next week, but again, it's probably just created drama.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up