Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: THE COLLECTOR  (Read 26232 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: THE COLLECTOR
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2009, 06:59:46 AM »

...We are prisoners of our possessions.  Just think of how free we would all be without them....

Free, yes, but our posessions may be part of what makes a home, as opposed to just a place where we live.

A home is where we keep our things, whether they are a specific collection or just what we've collected around ourselves.  This is where they are on display, or put away safely for use later.  This is where we coccoon ourselves, warming ourselves both physically and emotionally.

A home is where we collect our dishes, our bedding, our clothes.  It is where we collect the items that we treasure, things we don't want to forget.  It is where we collect our friends for our celebrations, and where they come to comfort us in our times of sorrow.

Dang, I'm poetic today, ain't I!!!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #31 on: March 30, 2009, 07:00:25 AM »

All and all, not a bad way to dance to Page Two!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DAW

« Reply #32 on: March 30, 2009, 07:14:11 AM »

***DRIVING VIBES***
for DR SWW!!!!!

DAW

« Reply #33 on: March 30, 2009, 07:15:44 AM »

TOD:

I collect cookbooks, also.  And CDs.  And DVDs.  And sheet music.  And if my DH had his way, it would all be chucked.  Immediately.     :P

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #34 on: March 30, 2009, 07:22:35 AM »

Hello, everyone. Happy Monday. (I can hear the chorus of jeers.)

DAW

« Reply #35 on: March 30, 2009, 07:25:31 AM »

That's the title of the next installment of my memoirs:

I Was Tried By a Chorus of My Jeers

Laura

« Reply #36 on: March 30, 2009, 07:25:53 AM »

Hi Jeanne!!!!!!!!!!!!!

"That's a lotta hamsters."

DAW

« Reply #37 on: March 30, 2009, 07:27:13 AM »

Laura DR - would you really have us believe that you did not troll ebay seeking Donny Osmond souvenirs??  ;)

Laura

« Reply #38 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:26 AM »

I am over him, DAW, after he didn't personally answer the letter I mailed when I was 12.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: March 30, 2009, 07:28:41 AM »

...We are prisoners of our possessions.  Just think of how free we would all be without them....

Free, yes, but our posessions may be part of what makes a home, as opposed to just a place where we live.

A home is where we keep our things, whether they are a specific collection or just what we've collected around ourselves.  This is where they are on display, or put away safely for use later.  This is where we coccoon ourselves, warming ourselves both physically and emotionally.

A home is where we collect our dishes, our bedding, our clothes.  It is where we collect the items that we treasure, things we don't want to forget.  It is where we collect our friends for our celebrations, and where they come to comfort us in our times of sorrow.

Dang, I'm poetic today, ain't I!!!

Isn't that what we call "baggage"?

::)
You can dream…or you can do.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #40 on: March 30, 2009, 07:38:29 AM »

Good morning!

Another beautiful early spring morning. A bit chilly when I went out to get the newspaper, but it's supposed to get to the mid-60s today which is perfect for this time of year.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: March 30, 2009, 07:40:54 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

NBC - CHUCK, HEROES, MEDIUM
CBS - comedies, CSI: MIAMI
ABC - DANCING WITH THE STARS, CASTLE
FOX - HOUSE, '24'
CW  - GOSSIP GIRL, ONE TREE HILL
TNT - SAVING GRACE

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 30, 2009, 07:42:16 AM »

TOD:

Ah, collecting! I am a real collector/pack rat at heart. I've always had a strong interest in art. When I lived in Santa Monica in the 1970's I began buying antiques--not priceless pieces, mostly used furniture that had good lines. Like many DRs, I picked up quite a few items dirt-cheap that are now worth far more. One of my LA friends had a house at the top of Pacific Palisades that he'd had built to his own specifications. In it he had both furniture from St Vincent de Paul thrift shop (he had both money and a sense of value) and art by up-and-coming artists. I have no doubt that his art collection was partly responsible for my soon-to-be art purchases.

My aunt and uncle (for JRand's benefit, Eddie Fitzgerald and his wife) had a home in Cheviot Hills. One Thanksgiving or Christmas, while visiting, a neighbor on Aiken Ave (Jane, any memories here?) was having an art show in his home, selling works of local artists. I attended and fell in love with a signed print by Helen Mollar Mallet, called "Steambath." I bought it--my first "real" art purchase.  It's in storage at the moment with most of my things, but I still love it. I soon learned that LA had at that time a sizable population of very fine artists, many of whom just weren't big names yet. Using that strategy, I continued to buy works by lesser-priced artists when I moved to DC. I have not sold any of them, but I do feel that having a few lovely antiques plus a small art collection helped to sell my house.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #43 on: March 30, 2009, 07:43:47 AM »

Laura DR - would you really have us believe that you did not troll ebay seeking Donny Osmond souvenirs??  ;)
;D

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2009, 07:44:09 AM »

I collect movies on whatever media I can find my favorites on: VHS, laserdisc, DVD, HD-DVD, Blu-ray. I couldn't begin to count how many I have.

Back in the LP days, I collected cast albums, but while I'll get many of the newest shows that get a CD, I have lost some of my passion for collecting them.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: March 30, 2009, 07:44:19 AM »

Hi Jeanne!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi, Laura!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: March 30, 2009, 07:44:45 AM »

;D

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: March 30, 2009, 07:45:57 AM »

I am over him, DAW, after he didn't personally answer the letter I mailed when I was 12.

;D

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: March 30, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »

If the Blu-ray version of AN AMERICAN IN PARIS arrives today, that will be my work project. If not, I'll be working on the DVD version of BEDTIME STORIES (have already watched the Blu-ray version, so it will be an easy job just watching it to note picture and sound quality).

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: March 30, 2009, 07:50:09 AM »

I also love books and find it very difficult to get rid of ANY of them. Of course, a relocation REALLY, REALLY makes you rethink what you're keeping.

Re the prisoner of one's possessions argument, yes, I used to travel from more lightly in my younger days, but I now feel that my collections--and other mementos--do enrich my life. Not only am I happy to have my collections, but I wish I had not gotten rid of some things. But how do you know what you'll miss later?

Ginny

« Reply #50 on: March 30, 2009, 07:51:35 AM »

Monday morning greetings!  It's a beautiful day here in SW Ohio.

TOD - I have long collected images (prints, posters, postcards, etc.) of women reading.  It all started with a print of Fragonard's "A Young Girl Reading" that I purchased in the gift shop at the National Gallery of Art in 1969.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2009, 07:53:27 AM by Ginny »
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #51 on: March 30, 2009, 07:51:58 AM »

I can empathize with DR Druxy and his relocation. Once you start getting rid of things, I do feel it gets easier. "You mean I can survive without THAT??"

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #52 on: March 30, 2009, 07:59:44 AM »

ON THIS DAY IN THEATRE HISTORY:

Lauren Bacall opened in APPLAUSE in 1970 at the Palace Theatre.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: March 30, 2009, 08:02:25 AM »

As for the art that got away, there were a number of people whose work I SHOULD have collected but didn't, and which is now worth $$$.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #54 on: March 30, 2009, 08:04:05 AM »

There have been many times during this move, which will (hopefully) happen this week, where I have seriously considered getting rid of everything.  Because of the delays, these posters and LCs have been packed up for over a month now.  Out of sight.  Out of mind.

We are prisoners of our possessions.  Just think of how free we would all be without them.

I remember when I first moved to Los Angeles (from Seattle) when I was 22-years-old.

Everything I owned fit in the trunk & back seat of my car.  That's the way it was for the first few years I lived here, too.

There was something nice about that kind of freedom.

Druxy, during my move I never got to the point where I wanted to divest myself of all my stuff, but it did make me examine a lot of the crap I was keeping and why I was keeping it.

I had a PLAYBOY collection from my college days up to about the 2000 when I decided to stop subscribing to the magazine.  I first tried to sell them to magazine dealers who weren't interested because, they said, they had had such large publication runs, they weren't worth all that much.  So I culled out just the particular issues I wanted to save for one reason or another, and put the rest out in my garage sale, for a quarter a piece or a few bucks for a box.  No takers, even after I dropped the price.  So I trash-canned them all because I didn't want to move them.  My neighbour was witness to the garbage men picking up the trash the next day.  He heard their shout of surprised joy as they hauled teetering stacks of Playboys to the cab of their garbage truck.

I remember going through several boxes of clippings and articles that I've kept on me and my work over the years and whittling ten copies of something down to three, thinking "What do I need ten copies of this article for?"  In truth, why do I need three?  Won't one or two do?

But I think it's an interesting phenomenon that we spend our younger lives acquiring stuff and, then as many of us get older, we look around and say:  "I have too much crap!" and start divesting ourselves of much of it.  How many of us have memory boxes like mine stuck in the garage or attic that we haven't looked at in years?

Still and all....I ain't parting with the books...

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #55 on: March 30, 2009, 08:06:58 AM »

I don't actively collect books, but I do love them and also have a hard time weeding out those that don't fit in my bookshelves, particularly those to do with theatre. 

Of those volumes that I have sought out to own, I'm happy to say that last year I finally got my mitts on two of them:  the coffee table editions of TWO GENTLEMEN OF VERONA and the '73 CANDIDE revival.  They are both primarily score books, but they are chock full o' pictures.  I had been searching for them for over twenty years and finally found them in a used book store in New Hope, PA (not at the same time, though.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #56 on: March 30, 2009, 08:11:27 AM »

I still have way too much stuff. As it's a given that my next house will be smaller than my last one, I know I'll be tossing more again.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: March 30, 2009, 08:13:52 AM »

Time to take care of other matters.

TTFN.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #58 on: March 30, 2009, 08:15:57 AM »

And the word of the day is: LUDIC!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  KITTEN ON THE KEYS