Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT  (Read 51285 times)

Ben

Re:IF I CAN DO IT, YOU CAN DO IT
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2003, 05:34:45 AM »

So, here is my first post on the new board. No questions yet for BK or DRs. I'll need time to play around and figure out posting enhancements, etc.

I'll also have to think about DR Craig's question. I'm sure there is something. I just haven't remembered it yet.

Ben

« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2003, 05:37:53 AM »

Oh, by the way, the little icon in my profile is listed as a gopher. Technically, his name is Penfold! I was surprised and pleased to see my little hamster pal. He is DangerMouse's friend and helper. Together they have travelled the world saving everyone and everything from the likes of Baron von Greenback. I'll see if I can find a small iconic picture of the great DM (since that is my e-mail address) and post him as myself. Later, gaters.

Michael

« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2003, 05:39:22 AM »

I did it! I think. Got to go to work. Will try to hook up during lunchbreak if not when I come home
Never stop dreaming.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2003, 05:40:16 AM »

First marriage and now THIS?  Too much change for me.  I guess I miss the Haines His Way of my childhood
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2003, 05:47:15 AM »

Welcome to Russell.  I would love to live in Rome half of the year, and travel the other six months!

Hmmmmmm....I would love to have my comic books and fan photos that collected when I was a kid.  Used to write to two or three tv "stars" a month and had the little postcards they would send back with the mimeographed signatures!  All gone....sad...sad...sad. :'(

What does "karma" mean in the posts?
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

steveg

« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2003, 06:17:27 AM »

In response to Craig's question, I wish I had my Howdy Doody marionette back.  My wife has hers and, both being HD fans in our childhoods, we purchased a second when we first got married 32 years ago, but I wish I still had my own since I always wanted triplets.
I'm just a bagel on a plate of onion rolls.

td

• td
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2003, 06:26:28 AM »

Ask BK Day:

Oh, where did the good times go?  (OH! a Sherman Brothers reference)! !

I'm not referring to the site, of course, this is sleek and fabulously put together, just like our host!!!!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2003, 06:32:29 AM »

Hey if you put your Map Pin in on your profile it shows up on the Member Map.
If you go to the Member Map and put your cursor on one of the pins - that Member's name comes up.  
We have three members in Washington State showing up!

Ben

« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2003, 07:18:31 AM »

Is there only one pin allowed for each city? I can't get my Map Pin to show up. I've entered the information more than once but it won't stay. Joy is on the map as being in NY but I can't seem to get there also.

MusicGuy

• ...at an audition to accompany Guy Haines...
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2003, 07:18:38 AM »

Well I simply had to reply (or at least attempt to try)...The registration part was very simple and easy to understand.  I guess I'm a little feeble-minded though, because I'm afraid I finally got here to the "place to read posts of today, and add your own" part of the site by accident.

I'll keep trying though, and I REALLY like the site security of having a registration and log-in process.  It is STILL Bruce's living room, and he shouldn't have to put up with faceless and naeless creepos causing trouble.

What to have back from childhood??  Either my "bean vending machine" (only Kerry knows what that is!) or the wonderful and scary "Jacob's Ladder" that I built in my garage, and that used to terrify neighbors and my yukky step-father.

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
    • Our Wedding:  The Musical
« Reply #40 on: October 22, 2003, 07:28:22 AM »

First post on the new board... HUZZAH!

My question for all the dear readers (and Bruce) - What is one thing from your childhood that got lost or you threw out that you regret and why?

I had the world's most extensive collection of My Little Ponies and related ponyphernalia, but my stepmother threw it all out after I escaped from her vile clutches.   :'(

But on a happier note, my friends Shelly and Diane threw me a bridal shower, and I requested that it be super-girly.  Not only did they buy reams of Barbie accessories (paper plates, cups, napkins, tablecloths) and girly magazines (Cosmo, Elle, Ms., Seventeen, Modern Bride), they handed out My Little Ponies as party favors!  So I went home with three new Ponies. :D
Farmer, pointing the way with radish.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #41 on: October 22, 2003, 07:29:33 AM »

Welcome All.This is exciting!!

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #42 on: October 22, 2003, 07:40:35 AM »

Trying out the quick-reply...

So what does the karma thing mean?

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #43 on: October 22, 2003, 07:45:52 AM »

Ooooo, this is too fun!  So many cool new features.  I'm still exploring this brave new world!  

SWW--I'm sorry to hear about Der Brucer's troubles!  Hope things turn out alright!

Joy--I had SO many My Little Ponies when I was a little girl, although today I really can't remember any of their names.  Your bridal shower sounds like a lot of fun.  

In response to new DR Russell's question (Welcome, btw!)...I would want to live in either NYC, Paris or London.  Or maybe even Hawaii or the Bahamas if I'm not feeling particularly urban.  

I have a question for BK and DRs---what kinds of toys did you play with as a child???

For me, it was all about My Little Ponies, Barbies and Polly Pockets, although I didn't only play with girlie toys.  I had some GI Joes and Matchbox cars too.  What can I say?  Don't fence me in!

MBarnum

« Reply #44 on: October 22, 2003, 08:07:42 AM »

:D

Good morning all you revamped H & Ks! What fun this will be here on the new fangled board. Some much to explore...but I can't for the life of me figure out how to put a pin on the map!

Will try adding a photo when I get home from work!

Hmmmm...lost childhood things...well, when I was in Junior High School my buddy David Courier and I each had our own film studios and created 8mm motion pictures. My studio was called Galaxy Pictures and I produced such thrilling films as VOGARAN, MONSTER FROM BELOW; DAY OF THE DINOSAURS; VOGORAN VS. AZILLAM; and LADY AND THE ROBOT...well, I wish that I would have saved more of the props and creatures from these films. Sadly I tossed most of them when I first moved out of the house. I did however keep all of the posters that I had made for these films.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #45 on: October 22, 2003, 08:31:04 AM »

First a question for the redoubtable Mark Bakalor:  why aren't ALL the pictures (meaning, of course, mine) from the Rogues' Gallery available?  I thought of choosing Ann's, but thought better of it.

Second, something lost from my childhood turned up unexpectedly just yesterday, so this is a very a propos question for me.  I had a wonderful book given to me by my eldest sister when I was 4 or 5, entitled "The Silly Book," by Stoo Hample of Capt. Kangaroo and Children's Letters to God fame.  This book is absolutely hysterical and full of very sophisticated and funny wordplay.  Sometime in my high school years the book disappeared from my parents' home and everyone assumed my Dad had given it to the Salvation Army or somesuch entity.  I repeatedly asked about it to both of my sisters and my mother through the years.

Well, lo and behold, my middle sister, who is a bit of an eccentric and flaky, showed up here yesterday for the first time in over 7 years (she comes, she goes, she's like the wind) from Alaska.  And out of her purse she pulls my "Silly Book," informing me she's had it for all these decades and had been using it in her classrooms (she was a teacher until retiring earlier this year).  No apology, no explanation.  Oh, well.

The funny thing is I had found an autographed copy on Ebay a couple of years ago, so now at least I have two copies, one to pass down to each of my sons.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: October 22, 2003, 08:35:22 AM »

Well, I'm happy to see so many of you made it.  It really is the same haineshisway.com, just a couple of extra clicks to get to the posts and many fun things to do once you get here.

MusicGuy: Be specific and we'll try to figure out how to make it easier.  When you click at the bottom of the notes, you should go directly to the board home page, where you should be able to see DAILY DISCUSSIONS.  Once you click on that, you should see the title of the current notes, click, and you're here.  That said, when I clicked on the bottom of the notes DAILY DISCUSSIONS wasnt there - this may happen when there are new posts - I had to first click on HAINES HIS WAY (the name for the Daily Discussions board) and that brought me to DAILY DISCUSSIONS.  I'll have to ask Mark if there's a way around that or if something was screwy this morning.

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]Let's see if I can do movable type, too.[/move]

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #47 on: October 22, 2003, 08:36:43 AM »

Also, if you have specific questions about photos and stuff, be sure to post them in the TECHNICAL HELP board, because Mark will be checking that board often.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #48 on: October 22, 2003, 08:39:31 AM »

A couple of things I forgot to mention:

First, I am SO happy our collective Karma is 0.

And, BK, to have you as GLOBAL moderator can only mean peace and prosperity are due for the entire planet!
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Joy

• I want to be a horsie.
« Reply #49 on: October 22, 2003, 08:40:03 AM »

<snip>If there was one place in the world that you could live without regard for money, where would it be? <snip>
Well, I already live in New York, so I'll say somewhere on Central Park West in the 80s.  Or in the West Village, in the area where we had our reception, at Chumley's (86 Bedford Street).

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: October 22, 2003, 08:47:17 AM »

By the way (BTW, in Internet lingo) if you want to use any of the special little buttons when you're doing your post - first type what you want, then highlight it, THEN select the button.  For example, if you want something to glow - type what you want to glow - highlight it, the click on the green G and voila.  

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #51 on: October 22, 2003, 08:52:23 AM »

Lalalalalala

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]I hope this works....[/move]

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: October 22, 2003, 08:57:20 AM »

Trying Oh yes that is MUCH easier that the way I was doing it!

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]What is this?[/move]

Hello, honey, get me rewrite.

What are the FLASH and STREAM functions for?
« Last Edit: October 22, 2003, 09:01:05 AM by JRand53 »

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #53 on: October 22, 2003, 08:59:40 AM »

Ah, so THAT is the famous Alison Hayes!    :-*

She looks a bit like Ava Gardner....

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #54 on: October 22, 2003, 09:03:13 AM »

LOL Maya - NO Ava Gardner looks like HER.  Actually Ava was Allison's favorite screen actress!
 8)

The article printed with this particular photo emphasized that Allison was a concert pianist and was interested in playing Joan of Arc onstage! :D

Maya

• My LiveJournal
« Reply #55 on: October 22, 2003, 09:05:40 AM »

LOL, Jrand, that's so cool!  She really is beautiful.  

Did she do any stage acting?  I'd love to learn more!  

Which makes me wonder...if there is such a thing as a B-movie, can there be a B-play?  ???

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #56 on: October 22, 2003, 09:26:05 AM »

Well, no Maya, she did some beauty pageants and then also did appear as a soloist with the American University Orchestra, but she didn't do any professional acting onstage.

http://www.horror-wood.com/allison.htm

You can read the biography I wrote about her at this link.  This is part two, but there is a link to part one on the site.

Hapgood

• Why is the smart son always the gay son?
    • My Diary
« Reply #57 on: October 22, 2003, 09:36:42 AM »

If you can find me, I'm here!
I have found the new board and am becoming familiar with it. I have not yet decided what I feel about it. It is snazzy, but I liked the simplicity of the old board. But I am glad that it is all so wonderful, and I hope that we will continuw to grow, becoming, sooner rather than later, the hottest site on the internet!
Six Characters in Search of an Author by Luigi Pirandello. Barber Theatre. Northwestern University. February 13-22. The greatest theatrical event that the world has ever known!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #58 on: October 22, 2003, 09:44:34 AM »

Well, the idea was to keep this as simple as possible, which I feel we've done.  In a week or two, I think everyone will be totally comfy and cozy here - at least, that is my hope.

I'm off to a meeting at my new job, but it won't take too long, and then I shall be back and hope to see lots and lots more posts from lots and lots of new registered users.  Be sure to click on the "Calendar" button at some point - you'll see that your birthdays are automatically entered.  Also, if you have an event coming up that you'd like people to know about, just put it on the calendar.  Very cool. 8)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #59 on: October 22, 2003, 10:02:35 AM »

So this is what a debut feels like!  Awesome.  Will take some time today to explore all the new features.  Will also try to upload my picture.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up