Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS  (Read 30420 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS
« Reply #120 on: March 16, 2004, 06:45:46 PM »

Oh yes, indeed amazon has some terrific third-party sellers.  That's how I got my mint condition Dragonheart novel by DR FS Charles Edward Pogue, and just today I received my copy of the BK-produced CD Night of the Hunter.  I'm so excited I just can't hide it.

On the other hand, the large order that I placed at the same time still hasn't arrived.  I qualify that.  According to tracking, it was delivered to Hofstra a week ago.  Getting it from the mail room to my department is much slower...

Here are some more good vibes for DRson Gabe:

[move=right,scroll,6,transparent,100%]~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~[/move]
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #121 on: March 16, 2004, 07:01:19 PM »

And for your cat lovers, don't you like the reaction of the cat and her person?

Yes.  ;D

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #122 on: March 16, 2004, 07:02:59 PM »

Page 5 Dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                        ::)        
                                  ::)          ::)

::)     ::)[/move]    
--Wayland Flowers

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: March 16, 2004, 07:05:23 PM »

Evening all.

I’m so sorry I missed chat last night.   My Mom wasn’t feeling very well last night and it just slipped my mind.  
That's not slipped, that's higher priorities.
...Well, my big news of the day is:   I’m going to NYC!!!!!!!
You DO know we all dine at Joe Allen at least once when we're in NYC, right?  And you know about taking advantage of TKTS for discounts on shows you might not have thought of seeing?
Is everyone ready for St. Patricks day?  Are you going to wear green or chance getting pinched?  I'm wearing GREEN!
What about wearing orange?  Does anybody wear orange?  I've got this really cool Hawaiian shirt that has both green and orange, keep myself covered on both fronts (but look strange in what is still winter weather).

Which reminds me, we've still got to get the cabbage for tomorrow's dinner.  I mean, yeah, we've got a couple of places we could go, instead, but...hmmm, which would be better?  And why cabbage instead of buttered Brussels sprouts?

Either way, cabbage (or sprouts) for the green, carrots for the orange, potatoes for the white.  Looks like a flag to me!   ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #124 on: March 16, 2004, 07:07:09 PM »

I bet I'll be the last--I got the other two books to read.  And I read like I eat ice cream--slowly savoring each spoonful.
I'll be re-reading the first two before delving into the third.  Force of habit, I guess, a refresher course.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #125 on: March 16, 2004, 07:11:33 PM »

There are few comestibles I will not ingest.  Brussel sprouts are at the top of that list.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 07:11:59 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jane

« Reply #126 on: March 16, 2004, 07:15:35 PM »

I read, I savored, and I didn’t stop reading until I had finished the book.  I took a trip down memory lane and enjoyed every minute of it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #127 on: March 16, 2004, 07:22:28 PM »

Der Brucer is far more the expert when it comes to finding shows at TKTS, dating back to his Navy days and a subsequent stretch teching for submarines.  He'd come into NYC and spend the weekend bouncing from show to show.  Of course, after a while he'd have seen just about everything, which drove him to getting tix for shows he hadn't heard of, or had any desire to hear of.  

The result, of course, was that he'd get to see all sorts of things like For Colored Girls... and the like, and being completely bowled over by them.

These days, if we're in town, I usually park him someplace where I know I can find him, and stand in line myself.  The Sat mat of I Am My Own Wife was an exception, as there was no line and we wanted to clear with Jenny so that we three could see what she wanted (cell phones can be a good thing, after all).  But the "rule" still applied, as we wouldn't have put IAMOW at the top of our list, and we'd have lost out because of that list.

Hopefully, on our next trip up (for a rescheduled Assassins), we'll have the time for a double header again.  The people in line can be fun to talk with, as they are a) usually well informed about the theater, and b) usually from out of town, so that they can converse about regional theaters as well.

Now, if only New York could do away with sales tax, the way Delaware has!   ::)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 07:24:19 PM by S. Woody White »

Jane

« Reply #128 on: March 16, 2004, 07:25:34 PM »

Jenny you are so cute.  

Danise you are just filled with happy news, except I do hope your mother is feeling better today.

Good night.  I sure I hope I fall asleep a bit earlier tonight.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #129 on: March 16, 2004, 07:57:09 PM »

DR Panni,

For your Toronto visitor's enjoyment:

http://www.theweathernetwork.com/weather/cities/can/pages/caon0696.htm

Right now it's -15 C, snowing, blowing, and more of the same over the next four days.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #130 on: March 16, 2004, 07:58:46 PM »

Wecome, DR Jay's brother DR Stuart,

Looking forward to your posts. And we want to know if you have the family punim.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #131 on: March 16, 2004, 08:02:12 PM »

DR WFO &/or DR Noel,

Requests? How about a punim lyric.

Emily

« Reply #132 on: March 16, 2004, 08:13:38 PM »

send the snow this way dan and I will officially march on over there and beat you senseless... ;)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 08:13:59 PM by Emily »
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

MBarnum

« Reply #133 on: March 16, 2004, 08:29:33 PM »

What's all this talk of snow...it is almost spring! The flowers are blooming and the sun is shining! I am so ready for winter to be over!

I will read my Kritzer Time as soon as I finish reading Mr. Cal Bolder's book and then Kritzerland. I have, however, listened to both CDs and am enjoying them very much.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #134 on: March 16, 2004, 08:33:11 PM »

Good Evening!

"American Idol"... NO Spoilers, just a few thoughts...

Interesting evening.  And it will be interesting to see what happens with the public vote.

And remember, the downtown TKTS booth - which is now located at ??? - sells both full-priced and half-priced tickets to shows.  And it sell the matinee tickets the day before - sometimes the seats are ok, sometimes they are not ok... but it's TKTS.  And they open at 10:00AM!  And the line is no where as long and crazy as Times Square.  Of course, the ticket selection can be very "interesting" at times down there, but if you happen to be touring that part of the island, it's always worth stopping by and seeing what they have.

And as far as the Times Square TKTS booth, my favorite time to go is at 7:45 - no line, and you'd be surprised at what good seats you can snag - sometimes for shows that aren't even up on the board - just ask the guy at the window if anything has come in.

*And with some of the discount ticket vouchers around lately, for about $10-15 more you can pick up a ticket at the box office... and if you go the day before or day of, it may even be a house seat.  -I ended up with eighth row on the aisle for Wonderful Town, and first row of the mezzanine for Gypsy last week.  :-)  *And best of all, you can use your credit card!
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #135 on: March 16, 2004, 08:39:16 PM »

No more Wussburgers EVER.

Jane, wouldn't it be fun to chat about the book on the phone?  I think so.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #136 on: March 16, 2004, 08:55:43 PM »

We're only through five singers in tonight's west coast airing of "American Idol," but I have to tell you the highlight, thus far, has been Jon Peter Lewis.

La Toya London went first and I was underwhelmed.  The judges peed themselves in praising her.

Simon, however, followed Randy and Paula's so-so comments about Jon Peter by telling him that he is potentially the dark horse to win the competition and that he has a terrific voice.  Randy made some disparaging remark about his last performance of an Elvis song (won him America's vote, it did) and was only marginally favorable about tonight.  Both he and Paula said  they want him to cut back on the dancing.  I thought his dancing tonight was fantastic.  He has my ONLY vote, thus far.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 09:30:20 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: March 16, 2004, 09:01:28 PM »

Sincer number 6 -- Fantasia Barrino -- has finished.

Brought the house DOWN!  She has my second vote.

I'm going to give La Toya another listen before I start voting, but I'm not hopeful my mind will change about her song (both song choice and performance of it).
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #138 on: March 16, 2004, 09:07:17 PM »

I don't know from punim.  Wass ist das für ein Vort?
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #139 on: March 16, 2004, 09:17:22 PM »

Singers 7 and 8 have finished:

George Huff -- WOW!  This is the first time I've liked his voice and he was terrific!

Jennifer Holden -- Great voice, great performance, so-so song.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #140 on: March 16, 2004, 09:24:03 PM »

My two AMERICAN IDOL votes from tonight went to George Huff and Jasmine. They both chose songs that were perfect for their voices, and they did wonderfully with them. I would have put Jon Peter third and Diana fourth.

I have to agree with Simon that there was too much over-the-top singing for the songs they were doing. Latoya and Fantasia were both guilty of it, though they both have wonderful voices. But there is a time for that kind of overkill, and these soul tunes didn't fit the bill.

But we've got a competition, folks! 10 of the 12 did good to great jobs with their numbers. I could have shot Matt Rogers for choosing another song that he could talk/sing. He's got charisma and natural style on stage, but he seems afraid to show off his voice. We know it's powerful. He's holding back, and that's stupid. Once you get branded as one of the "bottom three," it's hard not to get eliminated early.

If both Camile and Leah aren't two of the bottom three tomorrow night, I'm going to be astonished. They were ghastly: should never have made it this far.

Some good singers were hampered by poor song choices: Jennifer Hudson and John Stephens both chose badly. Diana and Jennifer also included songs with a few low notes that were simply out of their ranges.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #141 on: March 16, 2004, 09:29:20 PM »

John(ny Red) Stephens just finished singing -- NO-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O-O!  Didn't cut it with me...and Paula and Simon agreed on him being good?????
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 11:07:23 PM by RLP »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: March 16, 2004, 10:07:49 PM »

No posts in thirty-five minutes.  Either we're having an attack of the Wussburgers or everyone is off reading Kritzer Time.

Laura II

« Reply #143 on: March 16, 2004, 10:12:57 PM »

I wasn't trying to be a wussburger. I just don't have anything to say. :-/
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: March 16, 2004, 10:16:39 PM »

You've been gone for ages - tell us what you've been doing.  We love your posts.

S. Woody and der Brucer - Just an FYI - I just did a little search on eBay under my name and there are many many of my albums up for auction, most of them to be had for a dollar up to five dollars, including many of the ones you bought today.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #145 on: March 16, 2004, 10:27:43 PM »

JMK - Good vibes to Gabe. Hope all goes well!

Jane - Thanks for asking about the meeting. I have no idea how it went. The executive to whom we were pitching was impossible to read. She said she was eager to read the book the pitch is based on - A BOY I ONCE KNEW -  so I suppose that's good. But who knows. Speaking of the book...
For those of you in NY who would like to give $100. to a worthy cause and want to see some stars reading from the diaries A BOY I ONCE KNEW is based around, there  will be a "celebrity reading and cocktail reception" for the NEW YORK AIDS FILM FESTIVAL on March 22, 7-9 PM. Silverstein Lounge @ NYU, 100 Washington Sq. EAst (corner of Waverly and WSQ East) At this event portions of the diaries will be read by various people. Harvey Feierstein said he would read - but then he said he thought the event was in April - so who knows? (I'm glad I'm in good company when it comes to being absentminded at times.) Various other celebs are reading from the diaries. For info call 212-592-1950
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:29:02 PM by Panni »

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #146 on: March 16, 2004, 10:33:34 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, this Wussburger is on the verge of being overdone for the evening, so...

-Oh, Clay Aiken is supposed to perform on tomorrow night's AI decision show...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

Laura II

« Reply #147 on: March 16, 2004, 10:42:16 PM »

Well, BK asked me to tell you what I have been up to, so I shall do so.

Over the last few weeks, I have been occupied with showcase preparation at my place of employment. You see, about five weeks ago, Boss Man could no longer tolerate the creative differences he had with the voice teacher, so he fired her, and I was asked to replace her. Basically, he had marketed the program as one in which children would sing solos and duets within group numbers to instill confidence and prepare them for future experiences. One week, the voice lady was sick, and I subbed with Boss Man in the studio as I am only 18. (He had to be there for legal reasons.) He assigned the kids solos, and they were asked to rehearse them. Well, the next week, the voice teacher reverted to her old techniques, which included spending 45 minutes out of the hour class to do one warmup and to chat about packaged performers. Then, when the one kid told her that the boss assigned solos in the one song they were learning, she said something along the lines of, "Well, he doesn't know your voices, so I'm throwing them out." At this point, I could no longer take it. She had spent nine weeks on one song, out of the 14 weeks of the session. I have this thing where I am afraid of confrontation, so when she blatantly disregarded the boss's requests (and btw, he did a nice job selecting solos for each person), I was really upset. It got to the point that I either wanted to lash out at her or cry because sll she was really doing was wasting these kids' time and mine, too. I talked to the boss about it, and I said that if she was staying on (which he considered letting her do), I would not be able to assist with voice classes anymore. I just couldn't bring myself to let my name be tied to the program when I *knew* the kids weren't making the most of their time, and the parents weren't getting the right amount of quality for the money they spent.

More will follow.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #148 on: March 16, 2004, 10:46:19 PM »

I'm stunned.

Simply stunned.

Stunned is what I am.

Stunned all over.

Why?

Because six of the "American Idol" finalists were superb, terrific and totally blew away previous installments of "American Idol."  

Who'd have believed it given the abysmal audition process they went through to get to this point????

As good as Clay Aiken can be, he would have been equalled -- easily -- in tonight's competition.  Not necessarily by the men, no....but Jon Peter Lewis has a range that is untapped and it will be phenomenal to watch him explore and expand his horizons.  George, too, has great potential if he can temper his movements and tame the notes he sings (i.e., no gospel riffs).

I expect more from La Toya, whose choice of song, and performance of same, was "middlin'" at best.  Jennifer was totally solid.  Amy was so-so...she didn't put it all out there and it suffered.  Leah....poor, out-of-her-league Leah -- got the best advice Simon ever gave:  PACK YOUR BAGS!  

I think Leah and Camile and John and Matt are out of their league.  Totally and irrevocably.  They're mostly nice kids, but they're not competitive any more.

My biggest surprises of the night:  First, Jasmine's incredible performance -- the size of her voice and her control and her nuances.  Second, Diana DeGarmo -- when she's gushing you just want to smack her, but when she sings she's electrifying.

But Jon Peter's performance, among the men, was THE performance for me.  He is electric on stage.  He has a presence that will stand him in great stead throughout this competition.  I hope one of the coaches works with him and gives him some challenges that will help him cut loose and do some belting.  He almost did it tonight.  
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:49:16 PM by RLP »

Laura II

« Reply #149 on: March 16, 2004, 11:01:26 PM »

Well, a few days later, I was informed that the boss fired the voice lady. Actually, he told her she would not be returning for the spring session and gave her the option of leaving then. She said to go ahead and look for someone else and hung up on him. (Side note: This was not her only source of income. These jobs are barely part time ones anyway.) Anyway, he asked me to fill in until he hired another teacher, and I suggested a woman that I know/admire for her musical theatre background. She had actually applied for the job back in the fall after he had already hired the other lady. Unfortunately, she was unable to take the job, and he didn't want to rush the process of finding the teacher with the best fit, so I now have the job until June (well, and for summer camp, too). I didn't exactly want to take the job, and I let him know this. I'm still young, and I myself must grow as a singer and performer...Speaking of which, I need to start voice lessons. I've only had one in my whole life. Other than that, I've only worked with teachers in a choral atmosphere. I've noticed that I've been working on my belt, but I really need a teacher to guide me through that (and mixing, more importantly). See, I'm one of those people who gets paranoid about vocal nodes and too little breath support. I also don't want to lose my high notes and their quality. I am afraid I might lose my lyric soprano quality (the voice with which I was born) if I don't really start singing in it soon. If anyone could give me any tips or ANYTHING, I'd truly appreciate it!...But yes, I still need to grow, and I'd rather be performing than directing. Of course, when I requested that he find another teacher for the spring, he didn't listen to me. Sometimes I find myself getting extremely annoyed with him, but I realize that I really like the kids too much to leave.

I will explain that last sentence and continue the story soon, maybe not tonight, though.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up