Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS  (Read 30059 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS
« Reply #60 on: March 16, 2004, 11:21:29 AM »

So... I just noticed in my previous post....

wacky

or

whacky

Which spelling do you prefer?

The correct one!  LOL.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #61 on: March 16, 2004, 11:31:14 AM »

DR WFO – I realize that I am a bit slow sometimes (often), but I am a little confused by your earlier post about your date with Debby.  If these questions are too personal, please tell me.

1)   Was the tall fey gentleman with Karen Akers, Tommy Tune?

2)   The cabaret singer was including songs in her act that you wrote?

3)   Joel Crothers (your friend) is THE late Joel Crothers from Dark Shadows?
1)  Yes, as must have been obvious to anyone but me, who learned it a couple of decades later when Debby said, "Remember when we met Tommy Tune?"  Duh.

2)  Yes.  Lyrics, that is.

3)  Yes, whom I met when I wrote some lyrics for his cabaret act at The Bushes of Central Park West (Yes, that was the name of the club!) and later at Les Mouches.

The songs were written in collaboration with Michael Kingsley, who was musical arranger for both of them.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #62 on: March 16, 2004, 11:36:43 AM »

Well, then...  Is it:

wack

or

whack

???

Hmm...

Oh, and I'm kind of hesitant to bring this up, but... A few of my students in my musical theatre class came in the other day with copies of the "Haines His Way" CD - which they all thoroughly enjoy/ed.  I asked them where they got it, and they said that they had purchased a bunch of CDs from the other site, and the "Haines His Way" CD was on clearance/special...  Hmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #63 on: March 16, 2004, 11:38:48 AM »

The American Heritage Dictionary gives wacky as the first and whacky as the second variant, but adds that it is derived from whack.  A mighty thwack indeed!

Now that leaves me scratching my collective head so that my skull will crack.  And my head is indeed collective.  It collects so many things that I didn't want in there in the first place, and now there seems little room for important things that I can never find.  I really must straighten up the mess that's inside.
--Wayland Flowers

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: March 16, 2004, 11:39:27 AM »

RLP - why do you ask?  I'd have to imagine I have ten or twenty of them, as I was given a box or two of every title I've produced.

I said that yesterday to someone - Strasberg wasn't enough to hurt the movie, and he disappears rather quickly from it, but one can only imagine if that part had been played by Jack Benny.  Strasberg has no timing whatsoever and Benny would have been amazing.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: March 16, 2004, 11:41:53 AM »

Can someone please find out what the clearance/special price is.  This is extremely interesting since during the lawsuit they consistently said they had no copies of the CD and they accused me of taking all of them.  Would that were true, because when I removed my copies of things all there was was less than two boxes of them.  Seems they were mistaken, I guess.  REALLY mistaken.  Gee, I wonder if they might have been mistaken about anything else.

If the price is right, I might have one of you go there and order me a bunch.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #66 on: March 16, 2004, 11:46:57 AM »

Off to rehearsal
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #67 on: March 16, 2004, 11:48:56 AM »

They list Das Barbecu for $12.99 and surprise, surprise!  Guy Haines His Way "for the low price of $5.99!".  It actually says "New Release".  Would that they would "release" it.
--Wayland Flowers

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #68 on: March 16, 2004, 11:53:18 AM »

Whew!  Another day when I sat down to read and post about a half a million times and I was interrupted at each turn.  Aw, well...

Happy Birthday to Jennifer (though I don't really know you, but your name reminds me of Donavan's "Jennifer Juniper" and that song always puts me in good spirits.)

DR JMK, I hope Gabe's feeling okay after that experience.  And since green is supposed to be a great color to aid in healing, have the little guy soak up all the GREENhe can tomorrow.

And some lightning bolt vibes for DR Panni so she'll be a creative sorceress at her BM.

I've had more than my share of wacky dates, but I can't talk about most of them on a family message board.  One that I can mention also involved a Jewish princess, but she was actually a very sweet girl who contributed only a little in the way of wackiness to our date.  We met in a summer college course I had taken in presenting children's theatre and we both hit it off immediately.  A group of my friends from the class decided to go see Woody Allen's Interiors at the TLA in Philly on a Friday night, and I took the opportunity to ask Melanie along as our official first date.  I picked her up and we drove to my friend's house where everyone was meeting up.  We all piled into two cars (not my own) and headed for the city.  Once we at the theatre and getting into our seats, I began to notice that something was up with my friends.  They were whispering conspiratorially and giggling and acting more goofy than usual.  I thought that they were just stoned, but I learned that they had all dropped quarter tabs of orange sunshine before Melanie and I arrived at the house.  As I sat with a mad-on trying to watch the movie, Melanie kept leaning over and whispering comments like "I don't think your friends like me" and "This movie isn't supposed to be funny, is it?"  I couldn't wait for the movie to be over so we could get the hell out of there.  But as luck would have it, my friends wanted to stay for the next feature:  the Friday night midnight showing of The Rocky Horror Show.  Now while I dimly knew about the movie, I had no idea what went on at those midnight showings.  And as people began walking up and down the aisles and singing in make-up and costumes and as pieces of toast and rolls of toilet paper were flung about, I sank myself deeper and deeper into my seat, praying for a fissure to open up in the floor beneath me and swallow me whole.  By the time it was over, I was self-absorbed and surly and in no mood to be a member of the human race, let alone continuing my date or hanging with my dopey friends.  I hijacked the driver's seat of one of the cars and, instead of heading for our hang-out diner as was planned, sped to our point of origin, when I dragged Melanie into my car and took her home.  We sat in the car outside her house for about a half hour as I tried to reassure her that my friends did like her and that I didn't think she was dumb and that I did enjoy spending time with her.  But I guess I was too frazzled to be convincing because she was "out" all the next day when I tried calling.  The following Monday in class she began distancing herself from me and ironically hanging with two of my female friends who were also out with us that night.  After the summer course was over, I never saw her again.  I don't doubt that she would remember me as one of her wackiest dates.  

It was snowing this morning in Philly, too--the wet kind that sticks to everything and makes the city look beautiful.  I'm just glad that I wasn't driving in it...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: March 16, 2004, 12:06:02 PM »

They list Das Barbecu for $12.99 and surprise, surprise!  Guy Haines His Way "for the low price of $5.99!".  It actually says "New Release".  Would that they would "release" it.

And if I recall, the Das Barbecu is the re-release with the new - not so nice-looking - cover art.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #70 on: March 16, 2004, 12:15:41 PM »

BK: My ONLY reason for asking was curiosity.

It was my "sparkling prize" many moons ago for winning a trivia contest.  And I also read someone else post they got a copy for the same thing.

So...I was reading some of yesterday's posts about the "reading contest" and a "sparkling prize" being offered to the winner and "Das Barbeçu" just popped into my head.

No more to it than that.

:)
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #71 on: March 16, 2004, 12:17:01 PM »

This is the cover pictured on the Site that Dares Not Speak Its Name:
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #72 on: March 16, 2004, 12:20:14 PM »

But, DR MBarnum, it is written not with a ç, but with a ü.  You may schzangkh me for the correction.
--Wayland Flowers

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: March 16, 2004, 12:44:22 PM »

Instead of DR MBarnum schzangkhing you for the correction, I will do it instead since it was my post in which the "c" was made a "ç"

Schzangkhs!
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 12:48:27 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #74 on: March 16, 2004, 12:47:16 PM »

Doo-Wacka-Doo-Wacka-Doo-Wacka-Doo!

If Willie Wonka had been the father of the character Packy on "Fury," and Packy had been acting up and upsetting the grownups, would we have seen Willie Wonka whack a wacky Packy?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #75 on: March 16, 2004, 12:56:39 PM »

For the sparkling prizes, I usually send out CDs that I don't think people own.  I felt fairly safe with Das Barbecue, knowing its sales history.

Guy Haines for six bucks!  That's a bargain.  But, again, since I was accused of making off with all the copies, just WHERE OH WHERE did they get copies to sell?  They certainly didn't press them because it wouldn't be cost-effective to do so and then blow them out.  So, I guess that accusation must have been FALSE.  I guess someone owes me an apology.  I guess I'll be waiting until the 12th of Never.  Ah, well, the title of a marvelous Godard film comes to mind: Contempt.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #76 on: March 16, 2004, 01:07:47 PM »

I guess that means we'll get to hear all 12 sing a song, with plenty of Ryan Seacrest chatter in between.

It took them an hour to give us four finalists in the Wild Card show, I can only hope they can manage to get 12 songs in during two hours.

There's probably a big production number to kick things off, too.

Yawn.

That's right 12 songs (one apiece) in two hours but I'll bet there will be at least one production number and maybe two.

No yawn for me, however. I can't WAIT to see the 12 compete against one another. Finally, the real contest has begun, and I couldn't be more eager. It's supposed to be a soul theme night, so that should be interesting with some of the finalists who are anything but soul singers. This is where their versatility is put to the test. I just hope Leah Labelle or Camile Valasquez show their true (untalented) colors tonight.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #77 on: March 16, 2004, 01:27:52 PM »

People MUST be reading Kritzer Time.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #78 on: March 16, 2004, 01:47:15 PM »

To Robin, from yesterday, The cut from HOUND OF BASKERVILLES on the Michael J. Lewis album is pretty much the main theme from the movie...and, yes, is very nice.  Quite evocative of the whole Victorian gothic thing as well as a gypsyish motif that plays to some plot touches in the movie.

Donald

• So dramatic!
« Reply #79 on: March 16, 2004, 01:49:40 PM »

I hope everyone has checked out the new Broadway Radio Show with Justin Hayford -- a very talented Chicago cabaret performer

Also, please don't use the email link on this website.....it has been set to forward to my work email, but our new software at work is blocking those emails...instead, please use this email address for me:

feltham61@yahoo.com

I am trying to get the HHW site administrators to change the forwarding, but have had no luck so far  
DONALD FELTHAM
Host of the Broadway Radio Show

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #80 on: March 16, 2004, 02:12:00 PM »

The question is:

Would Willie Wonka whack a wacky Packy?

« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 02:12:44 PM by RLP »

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #81 on: March 16, 2004, 02:16:04 PM »

Well here I am back at work.  I'm still a little run down from the cold, but I can handle the boys.  
As for the TOTD...I'm not really sure  I have ever been on a date, technically speaking.  I've had two "boyfriends" in my life...both started out as friendships and wandered into relationships without going out on "dates."  Mainly because they were both broke and carless...which makes dating a bit difficult.  So no wacky date stories from me.  

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #82 on: March 16, 2004, 02:16:29 PM »

Well, well, well.  (That is three wells.)  I see the newest member to register at HHW--the almost most popular website in all of internetdom--is none other than my Dear Brother Stuart.

It was my DB who introduced me to this site about two years ago, right after which he fell into a serious case of errantness and truantness.

He's only done a bit of lurking today, but I'll keep on him to post.  He is a clever fellow, and I do believe all you Dear Readers out there in the dark will enjoy his musings.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #83 on: March 16, 2004, 02:23:41 PM »

Musings.  We love musings.  We cannot have enough musings.

I just found out I'll be doing the UCLA Festival of Books in late April - I've missed doing them the last two years because the books came out in May.  My publisher is having a big booth there, and there are only six of their authors who are participating, of which I am one.  I'll be there both days and I hope those of you who can't make the Glendale signing will come visit at UCLA - it's an amazing festival with 200,000 visitors.  

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #84 on: March 16, 2004, 02:31:18 PM »

Will a convent take a Jewish girl?

"How do you solve a problem like Rebecca?" - It works!

der Brucer (hint: no mezuzah's on the convent door!)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #85 on: March 16, 2004, 02:44:43 PM »

But, DR MBarnum, it is written not with a ç, but with a ü.  You may schzangkh me for the correction.

Did I miss çomething?
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: March 16, 2004, 02:47:52 PM »

I really must straighten up the mess that's inside.

Great line! You should steal write more often. ::)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #87 on: March 16, 2004, 02:50:08 PM »

--is none other than my Dear Brother Stuart.

And from which Order is Brother Stuart?

DERBRUCER

« Reply #88 on: March 16, 2004, 02:52:00 PM »

The question is:

Would Willie Wonka whack a wacky Packy?

Yes, and put a feather in his cap, and call it wacaroni!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #89 on: March 16, 2004, 02:57:02 PM »

And from which Order is Brother Stuart?

Reginae Theatricum
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6   Go Up