Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS  (Read 30250 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS
« on: March 16, 2004, 12:06:17 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you know what day it is so you may now post until the cows come home.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 12:02:41 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2004, 12:11:41 AM »

If you've JUST read the notes (after midnight) I've added a very important birthday wish so read them again.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2004, 12:16:52 AM »

Some Collective Heads to Scratch

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2004, 12:18:09 AM »

If you've JUST read the notes (after midnight) I've added a very important birthday wish so read them again.

BK, I can't believe you had to add that AFTER you had posted your notes!

Anyway, I really don't think that I've ever had a "weird" or "wacky" date.  I've pretty much had rather sedate dates...or figs.  No, not figs...raisins.  Ah, liaisons (a Sondheim reference!)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 12:20:02 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2004, 12:27:19 AM »

I don't know about "whacky or strange", but my favorite dates are stuffed with peanut butter and rolled in granulated sugar!

der Brucer (deciding not to tell the tale about handcuffs and The Meat Rack)

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2004, 12:30:50 AM »

Phew!  Just got done catching up with all the lovely and sparkling posts from the weekend.  I apologize for E&T-ness over the last few days.  I went home to my parents' house for the long weekend, to see some old friends and such...had a wonderful time on Friday night, but felt just a bit under the weather...went to bed hoping it was just a liitte sniffle...woke up with a full fledged head cold, and that's where I've been all weekend.  Sleeping mostly, or chatting with my mother.  She, at age 56, is moving to Eugene, Oregon in September to go back to school and get her PhD.  I am very proud of her for making this step, but it's a big change for her, one that requires a lot of discussion and such.  
So now I should get some sleep, so hopefully I'll be well enough to get up and drive to work tomorrow morning.  
Goodnight all  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2004, 01:19:34 AM »

I got to the notes verrrrry late and was totally discombobulated or, at the very least, discomgeorgeulated and left out several things.  I went back immediately and updated them.

Now, I want to hear about some wacky and strange dates.  I've had a few, I can tell you THAT.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2004, 01:28:18 AM »

I should be asleep I couldn't put the book down.  I went through the batteries on two flashlights while reading under the covers, but I finished Kritzer Time.  Now I'm off to bed but suspect I won't be able to sleep with thoughts of Benjamin running through my head.
 :) :) :)
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 01:29:43 AM by Jane »

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2004, 01:43:06 AM »

It’s the wee hours of the morning and I’m the only one here and it’s all your fault Bruce for writing such a wonderful book.  

Happy birthday Jennifer, aka JB.  Have a great day.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2004, 02:14:16 AM »

[size=20][move=UP,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNIFER!!!!![/move][/size]
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2004, 02:33:45 AM »

Happy birthday Jenny!! Have a great day.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2004, 02:35:24 AM »

As for today's topic.......What's dating? I am not familar with that concept
Never stop dreaming.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2004, 02:50:14 AM »

As for today's topic.......What's dating? I am not familar with that concept
It's where scientists take a sample of carbon-based material, and find out how much of a radioactive isotope is still contained in that sample.  Based on the half-life of the isotope, scientists can make a very good estimate as to the age of the carbon-based material.

Which is why you always want to take your carbons with you when you use a credit card, because unscrupulous scientists have been known to use the data from those carbons, which can age you pretty quick!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2004, 03:43:52 AM »

Happy Birthday, Jennifer!  And many happy, healthy more!

Good morning, all!  I overslept and got up at 6:00, not 5:00.  I'm too old.  Today is crunch day to finish up, and I'm dragging.

About weird, wacky dates.  I've decided I really don't date, I stalk.  
So, back to work.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Ben

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2004, 05:08:30 AM »

Well, this cowpoke spoke too soon yesterday. Our home computer is out of commission. After hours on the phone with tech support including reformatting the hard drive, reloading Windows XP and beginning the task of reloading the programs and tweaking the computer back to at least a ghost of the former self, when it restarted itself after loading a program (you know that message, something to the effect of "to complete the installation, Windows must restart") well, the whole problem started up AGAIN. We called back tech support. After running a test and reading back the results the tech support person determined that our hard drive is fried. Apparently that's what "read element failures" mean. We are getting a new hard drive which should arrive by the end of the week. My computer is JUST one year old!!! I got it in February of 2003. While Miss Tech Support was very nice and tried to be helpful, her explanation that "these problems don't always show up right away" doesn't cut it for me. Suffice it to say that I will be getting my daily dose of HHW from work only for the next week or so.

BTW, on a completely unrelated topic

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JENNIFER

Also, we received our copy of Kritzer Time yesterday. When the post office works, it's great. I LOVE the cover art. The CD is also great fun. We played it as dinner music last night as we ate our roasted chicken with new potatoes and a side salad. I will begin reading the book tonight.

Kerry

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2004, 05:34:40 AM »

Happy Birthday, Jennifer!  They're opening a Krispy kreme store less than a mile from my home in your honor.   Now I want a fresh doughnut at 1:000 am, I do not have to drive 30 miles away, it's right there!   DAMNIT!!!!!!!
I like boat races.

Robin

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2004, 05:37:57 AM »

First off, HAPPY NATAL ANNIVERSARY, JENNIFER!!!

Second off, about the nattering nabobs of negativity, deeveedee style.  I was in a Best Buy about a year or so ago, when I overheard one of them dismissing the version of Gone with the Wind in his hands, saying with all the pretense he could muster, "There's no way I'm getting this until they release it in widescreen".   I wanted to bitch-slap him...I really, really did.

Third off...he's one of my "unusual date" stories.  I had mentioned to a group of friends that I was going off to see Star Trek V: The Final Frontier the next day, the day it opened.  (I always see Star Trek movies the day they open.  Unless they're Next Generation movies.  Oy!)  

Anyway, one of the newer people in the coterie, a very nice and attractive young lady, lets it be known that she'd like to accompany me to this extravaganza.  And here's how headless I am...I have no idea that what she's asking me for is a date.  And she, obviously, has no clue that I'm really, really gay.  I mean, seriously gay.  

Anyway, we arrange to meet each other at the theater, and I arrive wearing extremely casual clothes: cut-off jeans, sandals, and a tank top.  (Hey, back then, I didn't feel self-concious about showing some skin.)  And she's dolled up in a very nice dress, high heels...you know, the works.  We kinda looked at each other, and realize that there'd been wires crossed here.  We get it all ironed out, before the movie begins, and have a laugh.  

And then, after the movie, we decide to pretend we're on a date for the benefit of the onlookers and passersby.   We appear the odd couple, to say the least; the prim, proper ladylike Michelle and the guy who looks like a major league stoner.  We gazed longingly into each other's eyes, as we walked hand-in-hand down the boulevard.  We had our pictures taken by confused tourists, who were scratching their collective heads.  Needless to say, a splendid time was had by the both of us, and we're still very close to this day, nearly fifteen years later.  
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

DearReaderLaura

• I am not a social worker.
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2004, 06:05:40 AM »

I do believe the wackiest date I'll ever have will be today. I am taking one of the sweet elderly ladies from church to the zoo today.
The proxy server received an invalid response from an upstream server.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2004, 06:28:54 AM »

BK - Do you know if today is Tuesday?  I've lost track.

KRITZER TIME has not yet made it's way all the way to the East Coast yet.  Hopefully it will be in today's mail when I get home.

Last night was another BROADWAY BY THE YEAR (1935).  These started out with three or four singers each, but last night we had twelve.  On the positive side we got to hear a wide variety of performers.  On the negative side, each one only gets a couple of songs.  Also there were no full cast group numbers.  However with a cast that included Emily Skinner, Barbara Walsh, Darius DeHass, Chuck Cooper, Noah Racey, Nancy Lemenanger. Gertha Boston and a couple of lesser known but just as talented singers, plus songs by Rodgers & Hart (JUMBO), the Gershwins (PORGY AND BESS), Cole Porter (JUBILEE), Romberg & Hammerstein (MAY WINE) and more, there was plenty to entertain.  Only Douglas Sills (who I usually like) disappointed.  He must have let the fact that he is now doing a Steve Martin role in LSOH go to his head, as his comic numbers seemed very Martinish.  I also didn't care for his rendition of "Begin the Beguine" which was sung well but was acted like a mental patient.  But that aside, it was another great evening and more songs than ever were done live with no amplification at all.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2004, 07:02:51 AM »

A happy Friday to everybody!  I turned on the teevee this morning, and they were predicting Tuesday most of the morning with Wednesday by midafternoon and a chance of scattered Monday and Saturday.

and

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] ;D ;D ;DHAPPY BIRTHDAY NUMBER ONE DAUGHTER JENNIFER!! ;D ;D ;D[/move]
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

MBarnum

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2004, 07:15:20 AM »

Hmm...I have had no wacky dates I guess. I must be missing out!

Happy Birthday to the daughter of our host BK!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2004, 07:17:02 AM »

Kritzer Land arrived yesterday, and although I haven't cracked the book (except to read BK's lovely inscription), I played the CD twice through whilst preparing for work.  My, my, my that Guy Haines has a lovely voice.  It's a good thing you're able to drag him off the tennis court occasionally.

I forgot all about the Unseemly Chat last night, as I was watching and taping Star Trek: Nemesis.  While I love all the ST movies, just because they are, this one definitely had too much emphasis on CGI boom-booms.  They are starting to fall into the trap of the Bond movies:  "we have to top the last one in wild effects".

I also have some issues with a few of the story elements, but it is nice that they bookmarked the story with a rather poignant use of the music of Mr. Irving Berlin.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 07:18:00 AM by William F. Orr »
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2004, 07:20:32 AM »

Wackiest date probably took place during my freshman year of college in Buffalo. We're talking another era (mid-1960s). Ardie, a young woman in my art class, confided that she had lesbian leanings. Assuming that I had connections, she asked where she could meet someone. I had a friend, Charlie, who was a native of the city and had relatives in Buffalo's underworld. Charlie made a few inquiries, then told me the place to go to was a restaurant called Dante's.

There was really no "scene" at the time, and if there were we wouldn't have had a clue. Ardie and I assumed that Dante's was a reputable restaurant. We phoned to ask for bus directions, and asked if there were dress standards. The stunned silence at the other end of the line should have given us some idea, but it didn't.

Dante's, at the other end of town, turned out to be a dive popular with female factory workers coming off their shifts. Ardie and I sat there, me in a jacket and tie and she in some tasteful outfit, as the place filled up with a butch crowd. We ate our salads and sipped our coffees and pretended to be totally at home. There were a few stares, but I think we were pretty well ignored. After a couple of hours we left Dante's. Then we rode the buses all night, because Ardie had missed her curfew and a friend was covering for her.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2004, 07:49:03 AM »

Happy Birthday to Jennifer, esteemed daughter of BK.

And good computer vibes heading to DR Ben.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2004, 07:49:50 AM »

Happy Birthday, Jennifer!

Not sure it would classify as a wacky date, but last year, I got asked out by a 26 year old guy. I was quite surprised as he could be my grandson, but he insisted that because we both liked musical theater and movies that we had lots in common. He also swore up and down that he only dated older men, not because he wanted a sugar daddy (he was a teacher as I had been so we also had that in common) but because he didn't see things the same way as guys his own age. I have found in dates past that I usually don't have much in common with guys under 40, but he was so insistent and imploring that I caved. We agreed to meet at a certain restaurant fairly near my home. (My plans were to come back to the house for dessert and coffee.)

Well, to make a long night short, I knew we were doomed to failure when at the restaurant he told me his favorite musical was THE PHANTOM OF THE OPERA, that he had seen it 7 times, and that he couldn't stand the musicals of Stephen Sondheim. I tried to draw out of him which musicals of Sondheim he despised and why, but he couldn't give any names, just that he didn't like any of them. I asked if maybe he would like to see one back at my house after dinner or listen to one and let me explain what made them so brilliant, but, nope, he would have none of it. Okay, I reasoned, what other musicals do you like. And he said RENT.

Good night, I said, as I paid for dinner and asked to be excused for the rest of the evening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2004, 08:00:48 AM »

Finally, some wacky dates.  I'm sure everyone has had some if you simply put your thinking caps on.

Jane wins the sparkling prize!  I'm actually amazed she could get through it that fast, since it's quite a big longer than the other two books, but I'm glad she did since she was around for much of the book's action.  Perhaps she'll add her opinion of it (no spoilers, of course) here and in the Kritzer Time section on the discussion board.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2004, 08:05:05 AM »

I had a set-up blind date once.  I arrived to pick up the person and could tell she did not think I was worth going out with the minute she laid eyes on me.  One of those spoiled Jewish princesses.  Still, off we went to dinner, somewhere in Beverly Hills.  I think it was Larry Parker's Diner because I knew it would be loud.  I could see she just didn't want to be there and she, in fact, was looking everywhere just not to make eye contact.  So, I decided to have fun.  I started asking her the most personal questions I could think of and I wouldn't stop.  I was charming about it, but I knew it was making her squirm and I was quite happy about it, since she was behaving obnoxiously.  Afterwards, I took her home and shook hands with her and said, "So, shall I call and we'll go out again?"  She just shook her head and went inside.  

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2004, 08:20:09 AM »

Happy Birthday to BK's daughter JB! (will she even read this?)

DERBRUCER

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2004, 08:20:53 AM »

I've decided I really don't date, I stalk.  

Hmm...seeds "sprout" and elmore "stalks", anybody here "branch"?

der Brucer (Stalk: to grow a long, hard, woody thing)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2004, 08:24:31 AM »

Reminder to AMERICAN IDOL viewers tonight:

The show is 2 hours long, so if you set VCRs, be sure to set it for a two hour show.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up