Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS  (Read 29177 times)

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
Re:THE SCRATCHING OF COLLECTIVE HEADS
« Reply #30 on: March 16, 2004, 08:26:21 AM »

I'm not sure if one must serve whacky noodles on whacky dates, or partake of whacky dust, but here is one that involves none of the above.

Back when I lived in an apartment by the train station in the Stead of Hemp, on the Island of Long, a former student of mine who was in NYU Law School moved into my spare bedroom temporarily when he burned down his parents' house--accidentally, of course.

This young man, now a successful attorney, had a gorgeous girlfriend--my often mentioned dear friend Debby--but had a tendency to, as they say, jump on anything that moved, which was not pleasing to her in the least.  They are now, by the way, both married quite happily to other people, and their children attend the same school.

So Debby leapt at the chance to take the train into the city with me to see the original production of Nine in previews.  It was quite exciting, especially when the show was over, because, instead of dashing on their respective ways, the audience for the most part stayed mingling about on the sidewalk buzz-buzz-buzzing about the show.  The sign of an incipient hit for sure.

Debby and I chatted with Karen Akers, whom we had met on previous occasions, and she introduced us to a tall, fey gentleman whose name I didn't catch.  Yeah.  You can probably guess--but I was clueless.

We then repaired to a local cabaret to see a performance by a singer who had included one or two of my songs in her act, after which we were invited by the singer to join her entourage at that restaurant near Lincoln Center with the roller-skating waiters.

All and sun-dried repaired to the West Side apartment of the singer and her husband for yet more festivities.  By this time it was quite late, so Debby and I were invited by the accompanist/arranger to sleep on a large air mattress on his living room floor down the hall.

Walking back to Penn Station late the next morning, we could not help but pass the TKTS booth.  Well, one cannot simply pass the TKTS booth on a lovely Saturday morning, now can one?  And this is where I made my fatal mistake.

I wanted to see Jane LaPotair in Piaf.  Debby said, "There's a gay play in the Village I read about."  I should have listened to Debby.  Piaf was a bit of a disappointment, even with pee on the stage.

The gay play, it later turned out, was the original off-Broadway Torch Song Trilogy.  Worse yet, I learned later, it starred my friend Joel Crothers, along with Harvey and the then unknown Matthew Broderick.  Had we gone, we probably would have ended up dining with Joel and certainly have met Harvey and Matthew.  Ah well!

When we arrived back in Hempstead in early evening, Debby's philandering boyfriend was beside himself:  "Where the hell have you been?"  Quite to her delight.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2004, 08:30:31 AM »

page 2 dance:

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%] :-* :-*[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                           :D :D[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                                    ;D ;D[/move]

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]                                                                                               ;) ;)[/move]
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #32 on: March 16, 2004, 08:33:10 AM »

Re American Idol being 2 hours

I guess that means 2 songs each?

I love American Idol, but I'm not happy with the finalists they've chosen.  Hopefully the finalists will at least pick it up a notch.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #33 on: March 16, 2004, 08:44:31 AM »

My Kritzerisms arrived yesterday.  Thanks!!

We are dealing with Mr. Gabe's stubborn bones refusing to properly align.  He got his fiberglass cast yesterday and the doctor (who I believe is a former NFL SuperBowl star--no joke) "manipulated" his arm into its correct position, which was agony for me to watch.  We are praying it's going to be OK, otherwise next Tuesday they may need to operate.  Oy, I say.

I think I can probably take the Grand Prize in Wacky (and I mean that literally) Dates Contest.  Years ago I responded to a Personal Ad in the local weekly paper, and met (over the phone) a somewhat bizarre woman who invited me to the grand opening of the Arlene Schnitzer Concert Hall (is there a worse name for a concert hall--the Schnitz??!!) to see Ella Fitzgerald.  Of course, I said yes and we arranged to meet shortly before the show.  We hooked up in the lobby, which is when this delightful (NOT) woman informed me she had just been released from Dammasch, Oregon's state mental institution (is this a theme of my life, or what?).  Unfortunately, I think she had been released prematurely, because somewhere between "A tisket" and "A tasket", she began weeping loudly and inconsolably as other audience members glared at me (as if I could do something about it!) and started furiously whispering to her to be quiet.  I really felt helpless and suggested she go out to get some fresh air, which she agreed to.  I quickly said I didn't think this was going to "work out," and left.  Years later, this same looney showed up at a temp service I was managing to apply for work.  Luckily, I don't think she remembered me (I had my staff conduct the interview while I hid in the back room :) ).

Now the hilarious upshot of all of this is:  years later, after having sworn off responding to personal ads, I met my lovely wife through one!!  (By that time, the personals had voicemail, so I was able to listen to Betsy's voice before deciding to contact her.  As you Portland people may know, Betsy was a well-known radio news anchor here, so her voice is golden, and the rest, as they say, is history!).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2004, 08:59:56 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Noon!

Feeling much better today, not so cloudy-headed - and after some phone calls yesterday afternoon and this morning, not so overwhelmed.  -The unexpected overlapping deadlines are no longer unexpected nor overlapping - whew!

As for wacky dates... Hmm, I don't really think I've had a truly whacky one.  Sure, I've had some "disappointing" ones, but nothing traumatic.  I guess the closest thing to wacky would have been my first date with Steve... We met the Friday night of Labor Day weekend... And the date didn't end until Monday evening.  ;D
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2004, 09:00:55 AM »

JMK you win!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2004, 09:01:26 AM »

That's not a date, DRJose - that's a relationship where I come from.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #37 on: March 16, 2004, 09:01:41 AM »

Happy Birthday, DDJennifer!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #38 on: March 16, 2004, 09:03:03 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JENNIFER!!!
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #39 on: March 16, 2004, 09:04:58 AM »

That's not a date, DRJose - that's a relationship where I come from.

Well... It did turn into a wonderful three and half year relationship... And a continuing dear friendship.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #40 on: March 16, 2004, 09:06:33 AM »

derBrucer you haven't read anything yet!  ;D

Here is the link to my biography of Miss Allison Hayes.  This is part two but it includes a link to part one.

http://www.horror-wood.com/allison.htm

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #41 on: March 16, 2004, 09:06:52 AM »

So... I just noticed in my previous post....

wacky

or

whacky

Which spelling do you prefer?
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 16, 2004, 09:12:42 AM »

wacky

Emily

« Reply #43 on: March 16, 2004, 09:33:03 AM »

Good afternoon everyone!

I have no wacky (nor whacky) date stories... so will have to skip today's Question of the Day.

I went to the post office this morning with a friend while we were on break to mail the senator I job-shadowed and her staff McGill mugs.  The post-office clerk took my package, weighed it, measured it and punched it into his handy-dandy postage calculating computer and told me that it would cost me $24.45 plus TAX to send it to Ottawa (which is less than two hours away from Montreal).  I was shocked at this ridiculous price - especially because I only had a $20 bill in my wallet plus change.  

Anyway, I knew the mugs had to be sent, and I had already packaged them and was at the darn office so I turned to my friend, borrowed $10 from her and was just about to pay when the guy's manager came over and basically told him he had to be wrong.

SHE weighed the package again, measured it and imputed it back into the handy-dandy computer for determining postage and this time came up with $6.12.

That is quite the difference in price and if it hadn't been for her I probably would have gone along with the stupidity of the original clerk.  

She is my postal guardian angel :)

Anyway - the package is sent and I have enough money to (barely) survive until the 31st when I get paid.  
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #44 on: March 16, 2004, 09:40:59 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Well, it is done.  Mission accomplished.  I have ordered Kritzertime.  Finally.

:D

And I think I found a new breakfast/brunch combination: marcona almonds (these are soooo good!), maple sugar candy with ginger (from the Green Market at Union Square) and Starburst jelly beans (tropical flavor mix).
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #45 on: March 16, 2004, 09:45:38 AM »

Hmmm, with all these birthday wishes, I feel like it's MY birthday :)

Btw, DR JMK, I hope your son feels better. What an ordeal.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #46 on: March 16, 2004, 09:49:22 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Jennifer (aka BK's Dear Daughter!)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Jennifer

« Reply #47 on: March 16, 2004, 09:54:23 AM »

DR Emily: Postal prices here are ridiculous. But you need to get one of the free postal booklets.  If you have a little postal scale (which I do), you can figure out the price before you go.  Actually when I was shipping some heavy boxes last November I noticed that on the canada post website there is a place where you can type in the dimensions and it will give you the various prices (by air, surface ...).

The most interesting thing is that if you change the dimension by 1 cm, the price could often be $20+ more.
When I went to a very nice postal outlet at Bureau en Gros, I explained this to the woman and she made sure to put the dimension that would give me the best price (how's that for service?).

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2004, 09:57:02 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY DARLING DAUGHTER JENNIFER!

I've read a few of the posts and will read the others later. Must get notes prepared for a Big Meeting (BM). Sometimes that's apt. We'll see if it is this time.
I could use some Good Vibes for said meeting - I need to be clever and on my toes and filled with wonderful ideas - Ideas about which they would like to make a movie.

I'll post about wacky date later.

bk - I never thought the day would come! -- A movie exists that I've seen and you hadn't. I saw GOING IN STYLE at the movies when it first came out and agree that it was charming. Must see it again.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #49 on: March 16, 2004, 10:23:06 AM »

BK and anyone else who bought the Jerry Goldsmith at 20th Century-Fox boxed set:

Varese Sarabande has delayed its shipping date until March 22.

« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:23:28 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #50 on: March 16, 2004, 10:31:01 AM »

Reminder to AMERICAN IDOL viewers tonight:

The show is 2 hours long, so if you set VCRs, be sure to set it for a two hour show.

I guess that means we'll get to hear all 12 sing a song, with plenty of Ryan Seacrest chatter in between.

It took them an hour to give us four finalists in the Wild Card show, I can only hope they can manage to get 12 songs in during two hours.

There's probably a big production number to kick things off, too.

Yawn.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:31:45 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #51 on: March 16, 2004, 10:38:18 AM »

DR WFO – I realize that I am a bit slow sometimes (often), but I am a little confused by your earlier post about your date with Debby.  If these questions are too personal, please tell me.

1)   Was the tall fey gentleman with Karen Akers, Tommy Tune?

2)   The cabaret singer was including songs in her act that you wrote?

3)   Joel Crothers (your friend) is THE late Joel Crothers from Dark Shadows?

Sorry, if I sound a little out of the loop.  I guess I have always just thought of you and Joe as these two very delightful and loving men who have unfairly been put through the legal ringer.    
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: March 16, 2004, 10:40:53 AM »

wacky

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #53 on: March 16, 2004, 10:45:01 AM »

I keep thinking about wacky dates, so I should post about it and get back to work...

I’ve only been on two blind dates in my life. And both would qualify in the wacky (read funny disaster) area.
The first. I was a young actress living in the requisite young actress apartment in Toronto. My mother had a neighbor/friend, the wife of a cantor, who felt it was her duty in life to marry me off to a nice Jewish boy. (I wasn’t dating many Jews.) She kept offering to set me up and I kept politely saying no. But I finally caved in. She described him as a tall, dark and handsome businessman. Okay – I guess I could live with that. So I get ready for my big night. I buzz him up and there is a knock at my door. I open the door and – I’m not exaggerating – I couldn’t see his head. The man was close to seven feet tall! Have I mentioned that I’m about 5’4” in heels? It was all downhill from there. Turns out his “business” was selling fruit at the Kensington Market. Dan-in-To will know what that means. He was a successful fruit vendor, yes – but I don’t think he’d ever been to a play or a movie. A sweet, nice man for some OTHER young lady. I told him that I really wasn’t all that hungry and had an early audition… so maybe we could have coffee instead of dinner. A faster coffee was never had. (He probably tells the story of his blind date with the weird actress.)

The other date – I can’t remember who set it up. But it involved going to Stratford for the day with another couple. NEVER go out of town on a blind date. This man was okay in the looks department and he wasn’t a fruit seller – maybe a lawyer – I don’t remember. But he was the most obnoxious human being on the face of the earth. This man made Donald Trump look like Mother Teresa. We went for a quick lunch before the matinee at Stratford and he sent back his food three– count’em THREE - times. In a greasy spoon. I contemplated hitchhiking back to Toronto, but decided to stick it out. The fact that I'm not serving time somewhere in northern Canada for killing a blind date is a testament to my patience and goodness as a human being. And my fear of jail.

After those dates I decided to become a nun. Will a convent take a Jewish girl?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 10:52:54 AM by Panni »

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: March 16, 2004, 10:54:15 AM »

[move=left,scroll,6,transparent,100%]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, DD JENNIFER[/move][/color]
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

William E. Lurie

« Reply #55 on: March 16, 2004, 11:03:41 AM »

It's snowing in NYC!!!

Although you won't count me among them, anyone setting their VCR or TIVO for "American Idol" should add an extra 15 minutes to the two hours.  You can no longer count on shows today to start or end on schedule.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #56 on: March 16, 2004, 11:07:20 AM »

BK, I remember seeing GOING IN STYLE when it first came out and remember nothing about it other than that Lee Strasberg once again confirmed my opinion that he was one of the DULLEST actors I had ever seen.

I tend to agree with Stella Adler's comments when he died.  Something to the effect:  "Today a man died who influenced American acting more than anyone in the last hundred years.  And it will take us another hundred years to divest ourselves of that influence."

She and he did not get along, because apparently when they were both in the Group Theatre, she actually met with Stanslaviski and told him what they were doing in the Group with his theories and Stanslaviski basically told her that had gotten it all wrong.  When she went back to explain this to them, Strasberg did not want to hear that he had perverted "the method".  That's when she hung out her own shingle and became an eminent acting teacher unto herself.

But I look at Strasberg on screen and go, "What is it?  Fish?"

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: March 16, 2004, 11:12:59 AM »

DR TCB those colorful smilies are beautiful!

They made me smile, which feels especially good right now.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: March 16, 2004, 11:16:31 AM »

BK: Out of curiosity, just how many copies of "Das Barbeçu" do you have?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2004, 11:16:49 AM by RLP »

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: March 16, 2004, 11:20:27 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Noon!
 We met the Friday night of Labor Day weekend... And the date didn't end until Monday evening.  ;D

That's a wedding, by Britney Spears' timeline!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up