Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Down

Author Topic: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY  (Read 27200 times)

MBarnum

Re: A DEATH IN THE FAMILY
« Reply #150 on: April 08, 2009, 09:59:24 AM »

a full absinthe service

I've heard it makes the heart grow fonder.

Well... Then Andrew, my bartender, better look out!

You have your own bartender? Next thing we know you will have your own pool boy.

Ben

« Reply #151 on: April 08, 2009, 10:03:45 AM »

a full absinthe service

You have your own bartender? Next thing we know you will have your own pool boy.

Or, better yet, he will BECOME a pool boy  ;D

Oh, my, did I just say that? Mr. Winkworth is having a deleterious effect on me  ;)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #152 on: April 08, 2009, 10:05:58 AM »

a full absinthe service

Well, Andrew has been "my" bartender at FIG during my past two visit.  However, there's also Sam(amanth) and Mark - who usually works in tandem with Andrew.

And as for the "pool boy", well, there is a pool at the apartment complex.  Hmm....
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #153 on: April 08, 2009, 10:06:22 AM »

BK, I also much enjoyed the notes today, particularly because I have always wondered what became of your parents.

MBarnum

« Reply #154 on: April 08, 2009, 10:06:59 AM »

A Fig, A Pool, and a Bartender...

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #155 on: April 08, 2009, 10:14:40 AM »

Everyone please listen and tell me what Orson sings in GOLDEN LAND after:

"....trace the Achilles heel of  ------------  far away......"

Thank you.

JR, are you talking about circa 2:33 into the tune?  I don't hear "trace the Achilles heel" all, but something like

"seek the Achilles heel of the very thoughts of far away"

Now I am hearing:

"He will seek the Achilles heel
The very thought should bar the way"

Perhaps he just went up on the line during the recordng and no one noticed or they decided that it was too far into the song to start over.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #156 on: April 08, 2009, 10:17:23 AM »

A Fig, A Pool, and a Bartender...

...are sitting next to each other on a plane bound for Rio when...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Kerry

« Reply #157 on: April 08, 2009, 10:43:04 AM »

a full absinthe service

LOL!  And his own ice cream cone boy, and his own latte boy, etc., etc., etc. !!!!!!!!!!!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #158 on: April 08, 2009, 10:44:24 AM »

Bruce,   I believe I asked this at the time the first book came out, but do you and your brother still speak, and what did he think of the books?
I like boat races.

Ben

« Reply #159 on: April 08, 2009, 10:55:06 AM »

Add Desire Under the Elms (with Brian Dennehy) to my list of theatre adventures. Next Wednesday at 8pm.

TCB, it's not that I didn't enjoy Hair, I just was not as taken with it as everyone around me.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: April 08, 2009, 11:27:33 AM »

Good Afternoon!

Back from Chick-fil-A!  :)

*And that was most definitely my "splurge" meal for the week.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #161 on: April 08, 2009, 11:32:41 AM »

And now back to the salt mines for a few hours.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #162 on: April 08, 2009, 11:39:40 AM »

WOW!  Even the elephants are participating in the seder - feasting(?) on matzoh and veggies.

Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #163 on: April 08, 2009, 11:51:04 AM »

I believe Patelson's will be a fond memory of mine by the ed of the week since I think they will officially close doors on either Friday or Saturday. 

I did buy three orchestra scores: Handel's oratorios SAUL and ISRAEL IN EGYPT and Haydn's THERIESSENMESSE. The three scores came to around $100 and I got a 40% discount so I'm very happy. It was sure slim pickings in terms of stock I'd be interested in, and I'm very sad to see a store, like the now-defunct Librarie de France at Rockefeller Center, that I've loved to visit biting the dust. I remember applying for work at Patelson's in 1979, and again in 1983, and Mr and Mrs Patelson were lovely, kind people. I liked them very much and I'm sorry to see the store and their building, in which they lived on the third floor, become a memory.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #164 on: April 08, 2009, 12:28:26 PM »

...I also saw Hair. God, I feel old! While I didn't dislike the production I do find the drooling over Hair as a groundbreaking, vital and important piece of musical theatre to be a bit much. ...

I'm pretty much on the same page as you on Hair.  I absolutely loved the albums, both the Off- and On-Broadway, when they came out.  I bought the paperback of the script and could not make much out of it.  Where were the characters?  The only relationship cues were in the stage directions.  When I went from Madison to Chicago to see the production that had my old friend André DeShiels as Hud, it bore no relationship to what was in the script.  As a show?  Not much.  Even the much-vaunted nudity was so dimly lit that you would have needed a night scope to see the naughty bits.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Jennifer

« Reply #165 on: April 08, 2009, 12:31:31 PM »

DR Matth, is it viewing any video on the internet that is giving you trouble?

The simon cowell standing O/Adam Lambert getting cut off people's TIVO's is sure making the news today. It is the lead story on yahoo.ca.

If it was just youtube, i'm sure you could find the video elsewhere.  But i would be very frustrated not being able to watch any video ever.

Jennifer

« Reply #166 on: April 08, 2009, 12:32:06 PM »

Oh and that song adam lambert sings is addictive. I keep playing it over and over.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #167 on: April 08, 2009, 12:56:23 PM »

Thank you for a wonderful set of notes and thank you for sharing.

My parents have been very supportive of me over the years and I know one day they won't be around anymore.

Ditto and ditto.  I haven't lost anyone that was really close to me...yet.  My niece lost her grandfather and they lived next door to each other, so they were physically close as well as emotionally close.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #168 on: April 08, 2009, 12:57:16 PM »

For some reason, now when I come back to the posts and press NEW, I am still taken to the first page of the notes and not where I left off.....

Funny, I've never used the "NEW" button because I never trusted it.  And I would be bereft if I missed a single precious HHW post.

Hmm...I've never had any trouble with the "New" button.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #169 on: April 08, 2009, 12:58:25 PM »

Since most of us are of a certain age...I will ask:

What is your favorite TELEVISION musical (not episode, but one off) that you remember?

I remember an Armstrong Carpet version of KISS ME KATE with Robert Goulet and Carol Lawrence....it was very funny....and colorful!  Although I didn't realize it then, they cut most of Bianca/Lois' part.

I remember really, really liking MARY'S INCREDIBLE DREAM, a Mary Tyler Moore CBS special that told the story of mankind through song, dance and fiddle playing (Doug Kershaw was a guest.)

I bought a copy of a copy of a copy, etc., of "Mary's Incredible Dream" on eBay years ago.  It's in a box somewhere.  I never watched the whole thing, though. 

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #170 on: April 08, 2009, 01:09:06 PM »

Just a beautiful day here. Not too cold and not too warm. I would like to have spent more time outdoors, but my film was 2 1/2 hours and I needed the entire afternoon to watch it.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #171 on: April 08, 2009, 01:13:26 PM »

DR Matth, is it viewing any video on the internet that is giving you trouble?

The simon cowell standing O/Adam Lambert getting cut off people's TIVO's is sure making the news today. It is the lead story on yahoo.ca.

If it was just youtube, i'm sure you could find the video elsewhere.  But i would be very frustrated not being able to watch any video ever.

No, that's the weird thing. At the IDOL website, I could watch the video of the judges' opinions of the eight performers (though why ANYONE would want to watch just that and not the perforamnces themselves makes no sense to me whatsoever.) I haven't tried other videos elsewhere though I may try something this afternoon just to see if anything is working.

I' still using the laptop right now. It takes forever for my desktop computer to boot up and load everything and get ready to go. The laptop is so much quicker.

Matt H.

« Reply #172 on: April 08, 2009, 01:14:02 PM »

For some reason, now when I come back to the posts and press NEW, I am still taken to the first page of the notes and not where I left off.....

Funny, I've never used the "NEW" button because I never trusted it.  And I would be bereft if I missed a single precious HHW post.

Hmm...I've never had any trouble with the "New" button.

I've never had the slightest trouble with the "new" button. Works like a charm always.

Matt H.

« Reply #173 on: April 08, 2009, 01:15:50 PM »

Anyway, this afternoon I spent 2 1/2 hours watching the masterpiece thriller THE WAGES OF FEAR. What a triumph for all concerned! Every time I watch it, it gains in power, and the tension just never lets up. And then when you think all is well, there goes that director's pessimistic irony to teach the viewer not to get too complacent. Just amazing.

Matt H.

« Reply #174 on: April 08, 2009, 01:18:26 PM »

I only had time to watch the first six minutes of the first bonus feature, an interview with assistant director Michel Romanoff. It's half an hour long, so I still have a good bit to go on it, and then there are five other special features I'll have to get through today. No question that I won't have time to watch any other DVDs or Blu-rays for fun tonight. I should be able to get to LOST, LIFE, and the IDOL results before I come back upstairs.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #175 on: April 08, 2009, 01:43:20 PM »

I just returned from Conn's in Austin, where I purchased a 52" LCD Samsung TV, Blu-Ray Player Surround System for my new media room.

Great price.
You can dream…or you can do.

Laura

« Reply #176 on: April 08, 2009, 01:47:38 PM »

This morning I went for a walk, and this is what I saw:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIZ9PYs-lsg
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

« Reply #177 on: April 08, 2009, 01:49:11 PM »

Well, finally I was able to view "Mad World." I still get that error message at YouTube, but at the Fox.com, I had no problem at all viewing it. I thought I detected a little slip in his falsetto right at the end, but otherwise it was a controlled and rather haunting performance. Easily the best of the night.

Matt H.

« Reply #178 on: April 08, 2009, 01:50:11 PM »

I just returned from Conn's in Austin, where I purchased a 52" LCD Samsung TV, Blu-Ray Player Surround System for my new media room.

Great price.

Those Samsung LCDs have gotten very good reviews.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #179 on: April 08, 2009, 01:57:37 PM »

First musical on TV I remember - CINDERELLA with Lesley Ann Warren.

Not the Julie Andrews version?

Not "Peter Pan" w/Mary Martin?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 12   Go Up