Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS  (Read 16692 times)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
Re: ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS
« Reply #60 on: April 09, 2009, 09:36:55 AM »

Because it feels right, right now:

"Teach your children well
Their fathers hell
Did slowly go by
And feed them on your dreams
The one they picked
The one you'll know by
Dont you ever ask them why
If they told you you would cry
So just look at them and sigh
And know they love you"
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: April 09, 2009, 09:37:22 AM »

Page 3 Crosby, Stills and Nash Dance
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: April 09, 2009, 09:38:41 AM »

Did my taxes last night.

Sigh.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #63 on: April 09, 2009, 09:42:18 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day...

I "suffer" from some people call "The Asian Curse" when it comes to alcohol consumption.  Usually, all it takes is one drink - or even half a drink - to make me look like I'm drunk: red-faced, a little "warm", sometimes even a little puffy-looking.  However, after a little while, my body adjusts, and then I'm fine - or at least look fine.  So, consequently, I don't really drink that much.  There are times when I will have maybe three or four drinks over a two-month span, and then I won't drink anything for a couple of months.  However...

The first time that I know I was drunk was after a long of day of playing for a music competition.  Not only was I accompanying five instrumentalists, but I was also competing myself.  In other words, I had basically prepared six recital programs to be played back to back.  Well, I played OK, but didn't place. However, three of my instrumentalists won their categories, so we all headed out afterwards to celebrate.  We ended up at Dalt's, where it turned out that a friend of mine was working.  So... My friends were buying me drinks, and the waitstaff and the bartenders were also taking good care of us too: all of our drinks were served in large tumblers!  Well...  After driving home - which I know I should not have done - I went right to bed.  The bed wasn't spinning too much when I first laid down, but then after an hour or so, I eventually had to run to the bathroom, and...

Strangely enough, when I woke up the next morning, I felt fine. -And I don't think I've ever suffered from a hangover of any sort.

Otherwise, I think I've only been drunk two or three more times since then - and that was almost 20 years ago.  I remember being very full of food and wine after the Chef's Table Dinner at Victoria & Albert's down in Disneyworld, and I also remember imbibing quite a bit when I was in Australia - especially since I had celebrated my birthday while I was Down Under too.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 09:46:37 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #64 on: April 09, 2009, 09:43:37 AM »

And what was the reaction to your Swastika suggestion, DR JOSE? 

"Oh, you're right!" said the Artistic Director.

*We also Googled to clear up the understandable confusion.

Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #65 on: April 09, 2009, 09:44:57 AM »

...And it turns out the theatre company had to order some "flags" from a "special interest group"... And they received a "Thank You, for your Support" email from them this morning.  ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #66 on: April 09, 2009, 09:45:58 AM »

Did you get your/a car back, DR JOSE?

I did get the car back yesterday afternoon... And after driving it around a bit more this morning, I believe I shall be requesting another car again this afternoon.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: April 09, 2009, 09:48:45 AM »

bk - I forget, did you know of Susan Dey before her work on "The Partridge Family"?

No, I didn't.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: April 09, 2009, 09:49:35 AM »

Did the long jog, have shaved, will now shower, then I have to hurry and get gas in the car, pick up helper and get to the sound mixer's house.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2009, 09:52:29 AM »

As for the Topic of the Day (Part Deux)...

I have discovered over the years, that "cheap alcohol" really does affect me more than "the good stuff". -And dark beers sit better with me than light)-colored) ones.

I also know that I cannot drink on any empty stomach, so, if I'm at dinner and I feel like it, I will usually have a glass of wine with my entree only after I've had an appetizer and some bread.  I just need that "cushion" there.

As for cocktails, I used to really like the sweet ones: Amaretto Sours, White Russians, Rum and Cokes, etc.  Nowadays, if I do have something "stronger", it's usually a Tanqueray & Tonic or a margarita.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #70 on: April 09, 2009, 09:54:59 AM »

DR JRand - As for tequila, I've "learned" that some of the top-shelf stuff is pretty good - Cuervo 1800, Reposado, Patron, etc.  However, it's meant to be sipped, not "shot".  If you're not going to spend the time tasting it, then why bother spending the money on the good stuff.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #71 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:01 AM »

Oh... And sometimes I like a finger of a good single-malt scotch. -Usually with one, small ice cube in it, just to add a little chill and water to it.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #72 on: April 09, 2009, 09:56:29 AM »

Hmmm...

Mr. Simbulan drinks a little.

;)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #73 on: April 09, 2009, 10:00:28 AM »

I just found this:

Gribenes (cracklings) are bits of chicken skin that are fried crisp during the rendering process. These small, crunchy treats add intense flavor to breads and also make a delicious garnish for chopped chicken liver. (To add them to yeast breads, knead some crisp gribenes into the dough after the first full rise.)

-Also known as "chicken chicaron" - the poultry equivalent of pork rinds.  Filipinos make them too, and they're a common item on Latin American tables.

*And if you go to the 2nd Avenue Deli in NYC - which is now off of 3rd Avenue - gribenes are their "table bread". :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #74 on: April 09, 2009, 10:18:45 AM »

...And it turns out the theatre company had to order some "flags" from a "special interest group"... And they received a "Thank You, for your Support" email from them this morning.  ::)

Be sure to send them some comps.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #75 on: April 09, 2009, 10:37:32 AM »

Be sure to send them some comps.

Well...

According to the Homeland Security website, if swastikas are being featured as part of a theatrical presentation, the producers are advised to notify the HSA of such use.  Just to be safe.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #76 on: April 09, 2009, 10:39:45 AM »

Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #77 on: April 09, 2009, 11:27:41 AM »

I did my fair share of drinking while in my 20s, and there were certainly a few times that I was drunk, which might have caused me to do some things I might not necessarily have done if sober  ::)   (Circa 1986, I do have a memory of inviting home, after a party, the latest Mr. Oregon Leather and then making him watch a double feature of ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN)  :D

I rarely drink now, maybe I will have a scotch on the rocks or a martini about once a year.

Michael,
Never show your dates movies until at least the SECOND date!  And it should be at least 4 dates before you bring out the Bollywood.
I like boat races.

Jennifer

« Reply #78 on: April 09, 2009, 11:41:57 AM »

I've never been drunk. But i do drink whenever I want to, which isn't often.

In university we did go to bars quite often. But i don't think I drank most of the time. I was eiher driving or organizing the event.

I'm not really too fond of beer or wine. I prefer fruity drinks like a pina colada or strawberry margarita.

But my rule is if i'm driving then i won't drink anything. The only time i broke that rule was at my sister's wedding. I had arranged to get a ride. But i only had 2 drinks (last one at 9:30pm and i didn't leave till 4am. So i felt fine. Although i would have loved a breathalizer to actually know for sure.

Jennifer

« Reply #79 on: April 09, 2009, 11:47:10 AM »

Very interesting Susan Dey story!

DAW

« Reply #80 on: April 09, 2009, 12:04:07 PM »

Many years back, my father had open heart surgery to replace a valve.  He was on the blood thinner coumadin for the rest of his life.

Alcohol really interacts with the drug, and it is very hard to regulate the proper dosage to achieve the correct blood viscosity.  So the doctor told him: "I'm not telling you to drink more, but if you're going to drink, you need to be consistent in your drinking!"   :)

Laura

« Reply #81 on: April 09, 2009, 12:35:57 PM »

Production Meeting - CHECK!

*And during the course of the production meeting I happened to notice that some of the swastikas on the costumes were backwards.  Consequently, some of them on the set were backwards.  Yes, they can go "right" or "left", but there is a proper way when they are displayed "to the front".  If anything, they should all be consistent.

The ladies at church made a beautiful quilt and had me photograph it. It is called "The Spirit of St. Louis." They didn't see it.

"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2009, 12:43:06 PM »

DR Laura - :)

Thanks, I needed that.

:)
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2009, 12:45:10 PM »

They didn't see it.

;D

They obviously never saw The Fantasticks!    :)

DAW

« Reply #84 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:11 PM »

Next to Normal

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #85 on: April 09, 2009, 12:51:19 PM »

Well, today has been action packed already and it's only 12:45.  Had a LOVELY Prayer Service this morning before the kids were off for Easter break, then took a 10+ mile bike ride with my brother, which I'll be feeling for a few days, I'm sure.  Tonight is the Holy Thursday Mass of the Lord's Supper, which musically, is all ready to go.  Gotta love Holy Week.

FJL

« Reply #86 on: April 09, 2009, 01:08:42 PM »

Just dropped in to say hello and that all is well.  Just a sudden spate of tax activity.

td

• td
« Reply #87 on: April 09, 2009, 01:13:40 PM »

I am in the food and beverage business, alcohol is a part of my living.  As such, I do sample our new products, but never to the point of drunkenness.
I'm not a drinker ANYMORE, maybe a beer or an Absolut martini every now and then, but nothing compared to what I refer to as "The Disco Daze."
Once dad was in his last year, I had pretty much not having drunk anything alcoholic at all; and that final year was quite a roller-coaster ride, with dad's cancer & diabetes and mum's several knee surgeries.  A running joke at work was that I was the one person people knew who they felt should drink. . .I maintained that I had to be on my guard and on my toes for the late night hospital runs, or the EMS visits or just to be there for both of my parents in a lucid state.
That said, my favorite drunken memory comes from my 23rd birthday . . .
There was a wonderful establishment on the outskirts of Pittsburgh, called The Tender Trap.  It had been a jazz club in the 50s and 60s, but had by 1975 turned into an upstairs talk bar and downstairs disco bar.  Finally it was one of the most comfortable gay bars to be in in Pittsburgh, thanks to its dual nature.  It was never a meat rack, but a charming, dimly lit, almost night-club atmosphere on the top and a mirror-balled discoteque below.  In short, if you were there to drink and chat, you were comfortable in the fact that no one was hitting on you - you could go downstairs, line up against the rail for that. . .and dance the night away.
I was a regular in the upstairs, and had dated (NOT a euphemism) the bartender David frequently.  I rarely went into the place unless David was on duty.
For my 23rd birthday, David decided that, in addition to my usual black Russians, I would have 23 complimentary Blue Flames (Southern Comfort, Peppermint Schnapps served in a shot glass, lit, and consumed).
I remembered the countdown.
I remembered the beverages.
What I don't remember is how I came to be awake in my apartment in the nude.
There were no articles of clothing surrounding me, but, when I opened my apartment door I saw a trail of clothing leading half-way down the block from my front door!  (the bar was indeed within walking distance from my apartment).
Hansel-like, I gathered up mybreadcrumbs clothing, shaking my head at the inconceivability of it all.
Going out with David the following night, I asked him about my departure.  He said that I wasn't drunk - he would have shut me off I had been - and had gone downstairs for a dance, before coming up and bidding people goodbye.
I guess that the combination of the alcohol and the warm summer night did their thing while I was walking the few blocks home. 
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #88 on: April 09, 2009, 01:19:02 PM »

Had an interesting afternoon of various viewing pleasures.

I began with Tuesday night's RESCUE ME in HD. After five previous seasons, this is the first time I've ever seen it in high definition, and I just love that this is the way I will be seeing it from now on. Terrific.

The season premiere had some good humor and a couple of exciting fires they had to cope with including one with some illegal fireworks being set off by the flames.

A fun hour.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

td

• td
« Reply #89 on: April 09, 2009, 01:20:36 PM »

I just read the news that Joe Nichols will be making his Broadway debut in the musical PURE COUNTRY, based on the George Strait/Lesley Ann Warren film. . .
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up