Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS  (Read 16687 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS
« on: April 09, 2009, 12:13:52 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were quite frank and filled with romance, and now it is time for you to post until the high C's, meaning the high Cows, come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: ROMANCE ON THE HIGH SEAS
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2009, 12:15:32 AM »

And the word of the day is: NESCIENCE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2009, 12:16:50 AM »

And a very happy haineshisway.com birthday to Maria Friedman (?) and Julie C40.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2009, 12:44:10 AM »

A Very Happy Birthday to Julie C40, who hasn't posted since last August. ::)

And Maria Friedman needs to update his own personal website (he's never posted here).
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2009, 01:07:11 AM »

Topic of the Day:  I don't drink (except on special occasions) and I've only been drunk once...and it wasn't at the kegger for my 21st birthday in college.  A couple of years after the kegger, I was still in college and living in my own studio apartment.  Friends of mine came over to get me drunk, just for the sake of getting me drunk, because I'd never been drunk.  I made lasagna and my friends, Heather, Michelle and Michael brought some vodka and raspberry juice.  Now, I don't care for raspberries to begin with, so that didn't help.  But I choked down that vodka raspberry drink over the course of the evening.  And boy, did I get drunk (they said that there wasn't much vodka in it, but I got very drunk). ;D If I just sat there and didn't move ANYTHING, I could actually pay attention to what was happening.  But the moment I even turned my head just the tiniest bit, I got all woozy and dizzy.  I totally giggled like a schoolgirl the whole evening.  I tried to walk to the kitchen and couldn't.  I practically had to roll on the floor to get anywhere.  We all had a fun time, and they didn't make fun of me too much, either. ;) Anyway, I remember the entire evening (no blackout) and I didn't get a hangover.  And I've never gotten drunk again. 

I don't have anything against getting drunk or drinking, in general.  But for some reason, I just don't like the feel of alcohol...for the most part.  And I haven't tried to get used to it.  Diet Pepsi is my drink of choice. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2009, 01:07:56 AM »

And that's my story of the one and only time in my life that I got drunk. :D

George

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2009, 01:08:25 AM »

And now, to bed.

DAW

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2009, 01:59:23 AM »

I have never gotten drunk.

DAW

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2009, 02:00:10 AM »

***EYE VIBES***
for DR TCB!!!!!!

DAW

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2009, 02:00:47 AM »

Laura DR - your video was a real surprise!      :o

DAW

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2009, 02:01:06 AM »

DR elmore3003 - loved your notes.

DAW

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2009, 02:01:22 AM »

Yours, too, bk!       :)

Ben

« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2009, 04:17:25 AM »

Illya was not on my desk when I arrived this morning. I need to visit the mailroom and see if she's hiding in some corridor.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2009, 04:46:26 AM »

I dpn't drink alcohol...no even wine at Passover...and haven't for 30 years.  I never had a problem with it.  One day, I just decided that I didn't enjoy what it did to me, and stopped drinking altogether. 

However, before that fateful day, I did get "high" a few times.  Probably most embarrassing was the time that I hadn't eaten all day, went over to visit my aunt and cousin who were in town, had a couple of drinks, then we went out to dinner at the Beverly Crest Hotel.  I excused myself to go to to the restroom, and the next thing I remember is that my cousin's boy friend is standing over me while I'm sitting on the Men's Room floor.

Wasn't being in your 20s fun?

:-[

You can dream…or you can do.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2009, 04:48:36 AM »

Does anybody know what Dave Madden is doing these days...or where he is?

I was his publicist during his THE PARTRIDGE FAMILY days, and also for time while he was on ALICE.
You can dream…or you can do.

Michael

« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2009, 05:05:47 AM »

Once when I was young I got drunk and lost my "cookies" after that I never did it again,

Now I don't drink alcohol at all because I don't drink and drive. (and never have)

The strongest drink I have is an "Arnold Palmer"
Never stop dreaming.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #16 on: April 09, 2009, 05:38:12 AM »

And the word of the day is: NESCIENCE!

And The Song Of The Day Is:  TEACH ME TONIGHT

Michael

« Reply #17 on: April 09, 2009, 05:47:40 AM »

I am not sure I transcribe all the lyrics correctly

I Don't Have To Hide Anymore

Will I be boring?
Or will you be ignoring the face
A safe
Oh I wish there were some pat
That I can run up and say to you now
But I get stuck and I don’t know
How to say what I mean

You make me smile and laugh
That doesn’t sound like much
But it’s simple things
A look, a touch
And I feel so warm
And feel so right inside
You bring me out
So I don’t have to hide anymore
Anymore
Never stop dreaming.

Ben

« Reply #18 on: April 09, 2009, 05:51:09 AM »

I don't drink either. Nor does Anthony.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #19 on: April 09, 2009, 05:51:10 AM »

Such a lovely story in the notes.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #20 on: April 09, 2009, 05:52:09 AM »

TOD:  Probably a New Year's Eve here or there.

Or the night my first play as a playwright opened when the Artistic Director of the theatre insisted we all do tequila shots.....I was very sick...and will never drink tequila again.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #21 on: April 09, 2009, 06:17:32 AM »

TOD:

The drunkest I've ever been was when I was 21.  I was out with friends and already had a beer buzz when we decided to head for a wild party where I polished off a bottle of red wine and then grabbed a bottle of Dewer's.  I have no idea how much of it I drank because I blacked out at some point.  I was lucky that I didn't die from alcohol poisoning.  I was later told just how lucky I was that other things didn't happen to me and how lucky I was that I had some good people watching out for me.  I never again allowed myself to be that drunk and that stupid.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2009, 06:24:02 AM »

Here is a shocking video I saw last night.  I had no idea that this kind of thing was going on...
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

MBarnum

« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2009, 06:31:09 AM »

I did my fair share of drinking while in my 20s, and there were certainly a few times that I was drunk, which might have caused me to do some things I might not necessarily have done if sober  ::)   (Circa 1986, I do have a memory of inviting home, after a party, the latest Mr. Oregon Leather and then making him watch a double feature of ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN)  :D

I rarely drink now, maybe I will have a scotch on the rocks or a martini about once a year.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #24 on: April 09, 2009, 06:45:29 AM »

Good morning, all! The dog is still barking and I am both angry and a bit worried because I heard no signs of the neighbor above me coming home last night, such as his clomping about the ceiling after midnight or the sound of his bed unfolding. I have to see my super today because I've discovered a leak in my bathroom, so I'll bring up the problem - again - with him. I do not wish the dog ill, only silent alot more often or out of the building. It's not my responsibility to babysit another's animal and I like pets. There's a problem, though, when the dog continually for hours on end.

Ir's nice to see the two readers who mentioned my BABES post have an appreciation for whoredom in the theatre. The good thing for me in posting it was that it gave me a much clearer picture than I see on my TextEdit page of what I need to rewrite. I wish I still had Ruth Gordon's bio here, because she mentions several managers and casting people who expected sexual favors for their help, at this would have been around 1916.

So, today I have an electrician arriving between 1 and 4 pm to fix the short in the kitchen light fixture, and I have to finish up my libretto notes for tomorrow's meeting at Toyland.

Kiss and tell, BK!

"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #25 on: April 09, 2009, 06:46:30 AM »

I did my fair share of drinking while in my 20s, and there were certainly a few times that I was drunk, which might have caused me to do some things I might not necessarily have done if sober  ::)   (Circa 1986, I do have a memory of inviting home, after a party, the latest Mr. Oregon Leather and then making him watch a double feature of ATTACK OF THE CRAB MONSTERS and ATTACK OF THE 50 FT WOMAN)  :D

And to think I used to wonder why someone as nice as you were single!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2009, 06:52:14 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #26 on: April 09, 2009, 07:03:14 AM »

BK, Susan Dey?  Woo Hoo!

I'm not much of a drinker.  Rarely hard liquor and when I do, it's usually a gin and tonic, something with vodka, or a margarita.  When I drink, I drink wine...and have lately been having a glass of red three or four times a week for a its purported medicinal efforts on the behalf of blood pressure and such.  But I have no cravings for it...and can go weeks, sometimes months without a drink. Mostly I don't really prefer the taste of alcohol.  I'd rather have a diet coke.  I do like a glass of bubbly...probably my favourite alcoholic beverage.

I had my first drink on my twenty-first birthday.  My father took me to the Playboy Club in Cincinnati (now long defunct) and I had a screwdriver.  I had my picture taken with a Playboy Bunny to commemorate the occasion.  What's amazing about the picture is the haze of cigarette smoke around it.  I used to have the playboy candle holder off our table from that night.

I have been blissfully high, mellow, or tipsy on several festive occasions.  Drunk only a few times in my life.  The first time was when I was playing the part of McCann, the menacing Irish intruder in Pinter's the Birthday Party.  The director had discovered the "Method" on a trip to England over the summer and it was a torturous rehearsal period where he made us play lots of theatre games and improvs and awareness exercises...and I hate all that shit!  Just put the script in my hands, block me, and let me say the words.  It was easy to tell the director didn't know what he was doing and how flatulent all this nonsense was, because everytime he felt I was "faking" it on stage, it felt "real" to me.  And everytime he felt I was being really honest and true, I knew I was "faking" it. 

Anyway, in the play, there was a scene where I was supposed to get drunk.   When the director found out I didn't drink and had never been drunk, he said, "What?  How can you play drunk if you don't know what it's like to be drunk (if one follows this logic down its ultimate path, you could ask how can you play MacBeth, if you've never committed regicide?).  So it was decided we'd have a cast party that weekend and get me drunk...which we proceeded to do, on screwdrivers.  Here was the problem...my character was a rather melancholy, wistful drunk.  My first drunk was rather lively and happy, I was singing Fred Astaire songs, tap-dancing in the kitchen (and I don't tap dance), laughing a lot.  So as a method object lesson...the whole thing was a abject failure.  The next morning I was mightily hungover and did not move from my apartment...or the couch, where I had spent the night...until my director came over and said, "What?  You haven't eaten anything yet.  That will make you feel better."  The idea sounded nauseating, but it turned out to be the one thing the director was right about it.  After eggs and toast, I was feeling much better.  Apart from the director and the rehearsal nonsense, I was very good in the play and got nice reviews.

The next momentual drunk I tied on was several years later, in Dallas, right after I had closed in some dinner theatre play with Rose Marie.  The next week Elvis died.  Another cast member and I were big Elvis fans.  At first we thought of driving to Memphis, but instead we just decided to have our own wake for him.  He had a membership to the Dallas Playboy Club (also now long defunct) and we went there.  Unfortunately they had a coat and tie policy and I had worn a scarf (it was the seventies), so they reluctantly couldn't admit us.  So instead, we bought some cheap wine and went to his house.  About three o'clock in the morning, drunk as a skunk, I felt I had to go home to walk my dog, Hotspur...even though I was in absolutely no condition to drive home.  I stupidly did so anyway.  I remember driving down Lemmon Avenue at 3AM, no one else on the road, chastising myself.   Even when one is blotto, there is that part of your brain that is crystal clear...sort of observing you.  The crystal part of my brain was observing  the drunk, sloppy me, saying, "If you're lucky enough to get home without incident, accident, or being pulled over by the cops, you must NEVER do this again!"  Fortunately, I did get home safely, took the dog out, vomitted in the courtyard, and went to sleep it off, Hotspur showing great concern for me.

The next day my companion in drunkeness, called, we went out to breakfast to cure our hangovers and then sat through ANNIE HALL.  So much for Elvis' wake.

Needless to say, I have never driven drunk again.  One of the scariest, stupidiest things I have ever done!

Ginny

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2009, 07:14:59 AM »

Thursday morning greetings!  It's finally looking like spring here in SW Ohio, but it's still pretty chilly.  The yard behind ours had a visit from one of the neighborhood's famous white squirrels, but he never got close enough for me to get a good picture, even with my zoom.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2009, 07:25:09 AM »

Good morning!

It's going to be a beautiful day here with highs in the 70s. The sky is a beautiful blue right now. We're supposed to get some rain tomorrow.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2009, 07:29:01 AM »

I've only been drunk twice in my life, and I didn't intend for it to happen either time.

The first time was on New Year's Eve when my partner of the time and I were just celebrating our second anniversary. We went to a New Year's Eve party where each guest was supposed to bring a bottle of champagne. I spent the evening MIXING champagnes which made me the absolute sickest I have ever been apart from having food poisoning.

The other time I got drunk was the night I retired. I made myself a pitcher of margaritas and during the course of the evening drank the entire pitcher. I don't think it hit me how bad off I was until I got up to go to bed, and the room started spinning and wouldn't stop.

I can't imagine ever getting that way again. Now, I have one, maybe two glasses of wine or a mixed drink at a party/dinner and that's all. Like others, I can go weeks or months without any alcohol.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up