Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DOOZY  (Read 21262 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: THE DOOZY
« Reply #240 on: April 10, 2009, 08:30:11 PM »

After I finished my work project, I put in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH on Blu-ray. Not the best Brosnan Bond (though it would have been better had Denise Richards not been a part of it), and the Blu-ray is very good looking but not a great leap forward from the DVD. The DTS-HD Master Audio was superb.

For my money, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is still tbe best looking Bond in HD though GOLDFINGER and DR. NO are also both spectacular.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #241 on: April 10, 2009, 08:30:25 PM »

Page Nine Dance!!!

Matt H.

« Reply #242 on: April 10, 2009, 08:32:04 PM »

Next, I watched the premiere of PARKS & RECREATION. I like the cast, but the show is THE OFFICE-Lite, and I don't need another 30 minutes of viewing when another show does it so much better. I doubt I'll be returning to it.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #243 on: April 10, 2009, 08:32:49 PM »

For the first time in ages, I don't have anything in my review stack,

That was me about two or three weeks ago. My vacation lasted six days. Now, I have plenty to keep me busy. In fact, Paramount sent HOTEL FOR DOGS to another person, and because I have so much stacked up, I just told him to do it if he didn't want to take the trouble to fix up a package and go to the post office. He took me up on my offer.

They're actually doing a "special edition" of this for me that I'm going to surprise the kids with--the BD will have a pic of BeeGee and Blanche on it, plus somehow they're going to be in the film and/or trailer, I'm not quite sure how it works.  The Paramount rep emailed me last week that it's ready, so I guess I'll be getting it next week.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Matt H.

« Reply #244 on: April 10, 2009, 08:34:41 PM »

And I concluded my evening of viewing with tonight's GHOST WHISPERER. I was a bit disappointed with the episode. I guess I didn't much care for the woman in distress, and her 180 degree about-face just seemed very manufactured and phony to me. Usually this show leaves me with a lump in my throat and eyes brimming with tears. Not tonight.

And I wanted more about Jim/Sam, too.

Matt H.

« Reply #245 on: April 10, 2009, 08:36:33 PM »

For the first time in ages, I don't have anything in my review stack,

That was me about two or three weeks ago. My vacation lasted six days. Now, I have plenty to keep me busy. In fact, Paramount sent HOTEL FOR DOGS to another person, and because I have so much stacked up, I just told him to do it if he didn't want to take the trouble to fix up a package and go to the post office. He took me up on my offer.

They're actually doing a "special edition" of this for me that I'm going to surprise the kids with--the BD will have a pic of BeeGee and Blanche on it, plus somehow they're going to be in the film and/or trailer, I'm not quite sure how it works.  The Paramount rep emailed me last week that it's ready, so I guess I'll be getting it next week.

Sounds fun. Keep us posted about that.

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #246 on: April 10, 2009, 08:36:53 PM »

"There's Nothing Like a College Education"- Johnny Mercer

Checkin, schprechen, I reckon...gotta love that Johnny Mercer!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #247 on: April 10, 2009, 08:37:54 PM »

Today I went back to my eye doctor for a complete and extensive examination.  First of all, I was not really surprised when the good looking medical assistant that I smiled at last week, ended up being the assistant who called me in for the exam.  There seemed to be a few sparks, but once he got a look at me close-up, I am sure his curiousity was satisfied.

As for the appointment, I got home from the doctor's appointment almost three hours ago; and I still can't wrap my head around the news the doctor gave me.  He was very alarmed when I was there for my glaucoma check last week and wanted me tested completely - sooner rather than later.  He had noticed that my vision with my glasses was drastically off from the last exam. 

What he found out after all of his tests is that after wearing glasses for almost all of the last thirty years; my eyesight has totally corrected itself to 20 / 20.  He told me not to bother wearing my glasses any longer and he suggested I head over to the DMV to have my driver's license changed to reflect that I don't need corrective lenses.  He gave me a new prescription for basically a pair of cheaters (due to all newspapers and books shrinking the size of their font).  He said that they would be for bifocals, but that the upper portion would be basically clear glass.  He also suggested that I not waste my money getting a new pair of glasses.

Congratulations, Tom!  You can show the cute young assistant the new sexy you without glasses!

That isn't exactly what I wanted to show him.   ::)
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Edisaurus

• "It was 20 years ago, today..."
« Reply #248 on: April 10, 2009, 08:38:39 PM »

Today would have been my father's 82nd birthday.  He died four years ago.  Somber day here.  Borders was busy, though.

Hugs to td!
Sometimes I've believed as many as six impossible things before breakfast. --Lewis Carroll

Cillaliz

« Reply #249 on: April 10, 2009, 08:52:08 PM »

Congrats TCB!!  I decided tonight I need to get some new glasses.  I highly doubt my exam will be as good as yours was

Michael

« Reply #250 on: April 10, 2009, 09:00:41 PM »

Sorry to hear the bad news DR DAW. But I am sure you will get a new job soon
Never stop dreaming.

Laura

« Reply #251 on: April 10, 2009, 09:03:06 PM »

We are still waiting for the rain that Kerry and I are not predicting.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Matt H.

« Reply #252 on: April 10, 2009, 09:03:13 PM »

Congrats TCB!!  I decided tonight I need to get some new glasses.  I highly doubt my exam will be as good as yours was

I need to get some new specs myself and am overdue for an eye exam. Same for me, too. There's no way my vision has corrected itself over the years. I'm still as blind as a bat in my right eye.

The problem is to find some time on my schedule when I can fit in a checkup.

Matt H.

« Reply #253 on: April 10, 2009, 09:03:53 PM »

Now I'm going to tinker on the computer for a bit and then head back downstairs to bed.

Good night!

Cillaliz

« Reply #254 on: April 10, 2009, 09:14:54 PM »

Tonight I was cleaning out my car in the driveway (boy did I need to do that) and my little neighbor across the street, Brianna - around age 4 or 5ish who isn't allowed to cross the street by herself yelled "Hey Priscilla, come over here"  so I did. 

She proceeded to dump a box of sidewalk chalk out on the driveway and said "want to help me draw?"  I can't remember the last time someone asked me to draw on the sidewalk, so I said "Sure".  I drew an Easter bunny, an Easter basket, an Easter egg and a hopscotch game for Brianna.  She was thrilled. She wanted me to draw her outline, so I did and she colored in the hair and was drawing in a face.  It was fun. 

After I went back to cleaning my car, she was outside with her mom saying "Priscilla drew a bunny and a basket, and an egg" as she pointed them all out.  It was cute. 

I haven't seen the girls much all winter. While I was sitting drawing, Brianna grabbed me from the back and leaned over and stared at my face. I said "What are you doing" she said "Looking at you. Your name is Priscilla, isn't it?  You look different."  I told her that's because I've lost weight and she looked different because she is growing up.  She smiled and went to work on her coloring.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #255 on: April 10, 2009, 09:15:19 PM »

I just finished watching the 1994 movie GREEDY with Michael J Fox and Kirk Douglas. It is to Charles Dickens' comic MARTIN CHUZZLEWIT what CLUELESS is to Jane Austen's EMMA, and I found it very funny and very rude. All of the family brouhaha about getting their hands on Douglas' fortune and their fears it would go to Olivia d'Abo was as accurate as the behavior of the Macbeths and their fear my dad was going to leave everything to his girlfriend Lucille. I think tomorrow I shall go over to Holy Trinity Church and say a few prayers for my dad.

Good night, all!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Kerry

« Reply #256 on: April 10, 2009, 09:22:58 PM »

Yes, I am willing to ache for the sake of rain!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #257 on: April 10, 2009, 09:24:28 PM »

Tonight I was cleaning out my car in the driveway (boy did I need to do that) and my little neighbor across the street, Brianna - around age 4 or 5ish who isn't allowed to cross the street by herself yelled "Hey Priscilla, come over here"  so I did. 

She proceeded to dump a box of sidewalk chalk out on the driveway and said "want to help me draw?"  I can't remember the last time someone asked me to draw on the sidewalk, so I said "Sure".  I drew an Easter bunny, an Easter basket, an Easter egg and a hopscotch game for Brianna.  She was thrilled. She wanted me to draw her outline, so I did and she colored in the hair and was drawing in a face.  It was fun. 

After I went back to cleaning my car, she was outside with her mom saying "Priscilla drew a bunny and a basket, and an egg" as she pointed them all out.  It was cute. 

I haven't seen the girls much all winter. While I was sitting drawing, Brianna grabbed me from the back and leaned over and stared at my face. I said "What are you doing" she said "Looking at you. Your name is Priscilla, isn't it?  You look different."  I told her that's because I've lost weight and she looked different because she is growing up.  She smiled and went to work on her coloring.

WoW!  You're great with kids and know just what to say!
I like boat races.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #258 on: April 10, 2009, 09:31:42 PM »

WE LOVE YOU DR DAW!!!!    We'll help you through somehow, I'm sure.

At the moment, I'm baking Brown Sugar Chocolate Chip Cookies (DP's recipe) for my The King and I orchestra and our production staff.  Its the director's birthday tomorrow.  We have the orchestra read through in the morning, some work on the ballet in the afternoon with a production meeting following. 

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #259 on: April 10, 2009, 09:32:13 PM »

Yes, but did you jump into the chalk drawings?

Cillaliz

« Reply #260 on: April 10, 2009, 09:33:41 PM »

WoW!  You're great with kids and know just what to say!

Thanks!  Brianna is adjusting to not being the youngest anymore and when I saw her outside by herself, it reminded me of how much time I spent alone as a kid (I was the youngest in a family that was always too busy with something else) I remember how happy I was when the neighbors would include me in things, so I had time and went over and played.  It was fun!

Cillaliz

« Reply #261 on: April 10, 2009, 09:35:06 PM »

Yes, but did you jump into the chalk drawings?

No I drew a bunny...the drawing jumped all by itself ;)

Laura

« Reply #262 on: April 10, 2009, 09:37:56 PM »

Sometimes it's just fun to play.

Cillaliz

« Reply #263 on: April 10, 2009, 09:40:42 PM »

Sometimes it's just fun to play.

:D

Laura

« Reply #264 on: April 10, 2009, 09:48:04 PM »

Yes, I am willing to ache for the sake of rain!

I am willing to suffer a three-day headache for rain!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #265 on: April 10, 2009, 10:08:41 PM »

Done with viewing, and have just been listening to music and relaxing.  Need more of it.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #266 on: April 10, 2009, 10:10:05 PM »

The church I work for has actually started a support group for laid off people, and one of the reasons is that they feel embarrassed about their predicament, though of course they're not to blame.  The Republicans are.  ;)

Wink not accepted.  You're a bigot, JMK, tarring all Republicans with the same brush.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #267 on: April 10, 2009, 10:11:18 PM »

DAW, having had some fairly major upheavals in my life, work-wise, I can only say keep your spirits up and know it has NOTHING to do with you.  And if you can keep positive I think you will find there's something better coming - positive is the key - embarrassed and negative beget more embarrassed and more negative.  Whereas positive, as hard as it is, begets positive and positive leads to new and interesting adventures.  Remove any and all blinders and look in unexpected corners for unexpected things.  My two centimes.  And check your e-mail.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #268 on: April 10, 2009, 10:12:55 PM »

Singdaw-

I am so sorry to hear about the lay-off BUT I'm sure you will bounce back with new energy and confidence...Because that's the Guy I Believe You Are!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #269 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:04 PM »

After I finished my work project, I put in THE WORLD IS NOT ENOUGH on Blu-ray. Not the best Brosnan Bond (though it would have been better had Denise Richards not been a part of it), and the Blu-ray is very good looking but not a great leap forward from the DVD. The DTS-HD Master Audio was superb.

For my money, FROM RUSSIA WITH LOVE is still tbe best looking Bond in HD though GOLDFINGER and DR. NO are also both spectacular.

So, what in your opinion is the best Brosnan Bond?

I'm torn between TWINE and Goldeneye.  Generally, I've found the third outing by any Bond actor to be their best outing.  (Goldfinger, The Spy Who Loved Me, TWINE.)

Just finished watching Quantum.  The editing is terrible, too scattered and choppy.  The plot is... uh, plotty.  Waiting for number three.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11   Go Up