Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Down

Author Topic: THE DOOZY  (Read 21260 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re: THE DOOZY
« Reply #270 on: April 10, 2009, 10:16:13 PM »

Good Evening!

So...

I think we were all surprised that our first tech went as well as it did tonight.  Even our post-rehearsal production meeting did not run as long as it "should" have.  And since we were able to get some initial spacing work done on "Springtime" at the end of tonight's rehearsal, we should be able to run Act Two tomorrow afternoon, and then a full run-thru tomorrow night.  :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #271 on: April 10, 2009, 10:20:46 PM »

PAGE 10 THE PRODUCERS DANCE!!!!

Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #272 on: April 10, 2009, 10:21:14 PM »

And what's this with one of the periferial baddies in Quantum being named Guy Haines?  No, really!  Have these people no decency?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #273 on: April 10, 2009, 10:25:33 PM »

OH!  There's a "trailer" on the homepage for The Producers.

Or if you're on Facebook, you can also CLICK HERE
Make Your Own Luck.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #274 on: April 10, 2009, 10:26:20 PM »

It's been a very long day.  Easter really starts the season around here, and we were bizzzieee.  Twice, I went down to check on information for the billing, spotted that lines were backing up at the registers, and just joined the line of cashiers.  (The second time, I forgot what I'd gone down to check.  Oh, well.   ::))
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

td

• td
« Reply #275 on: April 10, 2009, 10:26:39 PM »

DR td, sorry about Borders, glad there is still that much work at the restaurant.  Did you also lose your benefits?

Nope, the benefits are still in place, which is why I'm considering the open option Borders provides which allows employees to work on an ad hoc schedule (I really think that it is one eight hour shift per month).
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #276 on: April 10, 2009, 10:27:12 PM »

I'm well beyond wussburger time.  Hasta.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #277 on: April 10, 2009, 10:29:39 PM »

In other news...

Spring/Easter Break + Friday Night + Full Moon = LOTS of drunk-ass people walking around downtown Charleston and driving on the roads. :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #278 on: April 10, 2009, 10:31:47 PM »

I went through a JRB kick earlier this week, what with his disc with Lauren Kennedy, Parade, and Songs for a New World.  I can run hot and tepid with this guy.

DR SWW - Do you have JRB's solo album, "Wearing Someone Else's Clothes"?  Truly one of my favorite albums, and a regular listen.

*I also have "The Unauthorized JRB" which is also fun to listen to.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #279 on: April 10, 2009, 11:01:15 PM »

Yesterday, I put on Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band and Caribou back to back (ties in with our concept discussion earlier).  Jamie, who is not that much younger than I, came in during the latter and said "Oh!  Elton John!"  I told him he'd just missed SPLHCB, and he replied "I don't know from the Beatles - they were before my time."

Huh???

Ties in with my rant from a couple of days ago, that people generally only know from their own time, and don't explore stuff that came out earlier.  But were the Beatles all that long ago?  That a guy that is at best a decade younger than I am would think of their stuff as "old" and thus dismissable?

And I'm increasingly believing that his POV is not that uncommon, in fact may be standard. 

Which is bizarre, because we are now in an age when we have more access to our past, to the music and films and dammit to the information of what has come before, but at the same time all that information has to be instantaneous, now, twitterized, as if lingering and savoring themselves are notions better filed in a museum (and who goes to museums, that's all old stuff...).

And it ties in, as well, with "trendy."  No, people of the world, these things that are trendy have been around before, they sometimes were conceived a decade or a hundred years ago, the only thing that is trendy is their rediscovery.  That does not make them new!  It just makes them new to you, and if you had the slightest awareness of the world around you, the slightest curiosity about where things come from, why they were created in the first place, what makes them tick, you would know this simple fact.

And that knowledge doesn't close doors, it opens them, it leads to new questions and rediscoveries and connections!

I guess I'm just wierd, to be curious... oh, wait, those are synonyms.  Never mind.  I just explained a lot about myself there.

I've always been one to check out "what came before" - I, too, am "weird" that way - but I also understand how some people just seem to live "in the now".  Especially when it comes to music.  And even moreso when it comes to "musical theatre".

For many young(er) people, their "world" started with either Phantom of the Opera, Les Miserables, Rent, or Wicked.  However, they also seem to know the other shows that came out around that time. A lot of the "current stuff" has been written by people who may have not even had a show on Broadway yet: Scott Alan, Andrew Lippa, Joe Iconis, Benj Pasek & Justin Paul, Kait Kerrigan & Brian Lowdermilk, and other writers.  I'm always amazed at just how popular some of their works are among "the youngsters". I have to routinely check into YouTube to see what the newest and hottest "unknown" song is just so that I have the gist of it in my ear if I should ever see the music placed in front of me at an audition.

And then there are the pop/rock, indie rock, hip-hop, rap, house music, etc. devotees.  They seem to know each and every song of each and every band out there.  Do I know all about those artists? No. But they do!

Would it be a good thing if the younger generation explored the music of their parents' and grandparents' generations? Yes. But if they seem to be on top of everything happening now, there's really nothing wrong with that either.  There are millions of hours of music out there to listen to, but only so many hours in a day.

Do you know all of the songs and artists on the current Billboard Top Ten?

*And don't get me started on the whole "musical theatre came from operetta and opera" kerfuffle.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #280 on: April 10, 2009, 11:06:23 PM »

Oh... And the car "adventure" continues...

I drive the "new" car to the theater and park in the lot.  At the first break, the director comes up to and says that she noticed that the rear, passenger side tire was flat.  Hmmm...  Luckily, the shop had an air compressor, and they were able to pump the tire back up.  -So far, it still seems to be "full" - no slow leak.  But that might change come morning.

And then when I drove home, I noticed that the passenger side front headlight is out too. OY!

And there's currently no windshield wiper fluid in the reservoir either.
Make Your Own Luck.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #281 on: April 10, 2009, 11:21:12 PM »

Tonight I was cleaning out my car in the driveway (boy did I need to do that) and my little neighbor across the street, Brianna - around age 4 or 5ish who isn't allowed to cross the street by herself yelled "Hey Priscilla, come over here"  so I did. 

She proceeded to dump a box of sidewalk chalk out on the driveway and said "want to help me draw?"  I can't remember the last time someone asked me to draw on the sidewalk, so I said "Sure".  I drew an Easter bunny, an Easter basket, an Easter egg and a hopscotch game for Brianna.  She was thrilled. She wanted me to draw her outline, so I did and she colored in the hair and was drawing in a face.  It was fun. 

After I went back to cleaning my car, she was outside with her mom saying "Priscilla drew a bunny and a basket, and an egg" as she pointed them all out.  It was cute. 

I haven't seen the girls much all winter. While I was sitting drawing, Brianna grabbed me from the back and leaned over and stared at my face. I said "What are you doing" she said "Looking at you. Your name is Priscilla, isn't it?  You look different."  I told her that's because I've lost weight and she looked different because she is growing up.  She smiled and went to work on her coloring.

WoW!  You're great with kids and know just what to say!

Thanks!  Brianna is adjusting to not being the youngest anymore and when I saw her outside by herself, it reminded me of how much time I spent alone as a kid (I was the youngest in a family that was always too busy with something else) I remember how happy I was when the neighbors would include me in things, so I had time and went over and played.  It was fun!

Good for you, Cilla!  That's so sweet!  ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

Matthew

• You there, why are you so late?
« Reply #282 on: April 10, 2009, 11:22:38 PM »

Whew - on my last sheet of cookies!  They are thin, crisp and chewy - very very cool. 

DR Jose, all this talk of The Producers and I'm tempted to put the DVD in the player!  (the musical version, which I do like)  I'm trying to resist!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #283 on: April 10, 2009, 11:26:16 PM »

After tonight's tech, I headed back over to FIG for a nice post-first-tech bite to eat.  I finally tried their White Shrimp and Radicchio Salad - AMAZING! For my "dessert" tonight, I tried the current Cheese Plate - another scrumptious platter, all domestic cheeses.  And to accompany that, I had a snifter of their house-infused Pear Brandy (brandy, bosc pears, vanilla beans, star anise - so smoooooth).

"Michael" was tending bar tonight, and it turns out that he was one of the original founders of FIG - and he's also the one who developed their cocktail and wine list. He's also the one "responsible" for the Pear Brandy, as well as the remnants of a Cherry Brandy that was sitting in a mason jar behind the decanter for the Pear Brandy.  His family is from Teaneck, NJ, but he grew up in Center City, Kentucky as well as a few other places.  He was a History major in college, and then went on to teach English and History at one of the larger high schools in Charleston.  He was also a football and basketball coach at the high school.  He then started doing some bartending during the off season, and he eventually went into mixology full-time.  A truly varied and rich life.

*He also has the uncanny knack of guessing from where people came from based on how they speak.  There was a couple sitting next to me who were visiting from Chapel Hill, however, they were not from Chapel Hill. He was able to tell that the husband was originally from Illinois - northern(!) Illinois - and that his wife was from central Kentucky.

**And he also topped of my brandy gratis tonight too. :)

***And it turned out that his former girlfriend lives just a few blocks from my place in NYC. :-\ ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #284 on: April 10, 2009, 11:27:13 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Did you take a picture of your sidewalk chalk creations?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #285 on: April 10, 2009, 11:32:48 PM »

DR TCB - That's AMAZING news!!!  -Were you thinking that the news was going to skew the other way?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #286 on: April 10, 2009, 11:38:24 PM »

DR elmore - When the firemen showed up, was that burning smell still in the air?

-And I guess it's "good' to know why the dog has been barking.  :-\
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #287 on: April 10, 2009, 11:42:48 PM »

~~~~~GET-WHAT'S-COMING-TO-THEM VIBES TO THOSE CHINCHY BASSAS WHO BROKE INTO DR LAURA'S CAR LAST NIGHT AND TOOK HER DH'S IMPORTANT PAPERS~~~~~
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #288 on: April 10, 2009, 11:44:14 PM »

OK... My second day of tech starts less than 12 hours from now...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #289 on: April 10, 2009, 11:57:33 PM »

Welcome to new dear reader embolism - who is actually the delightfully delightful Emily from The Real A's One From Column A days.  We love our embolism and are happy she found us.

George

« Reply #290 on: April 11, 2009, 12:02:13 AM »

Welcome to new dear reader embolism - who is actually the delightfully delightful Emily from The Real A's One From Column A days.  We love our embolism and are happy she found us.

Welcome, embolism!  Jump right in!
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #291 on: April 11, 2009, 12:02:57 AM »

Today I went back to my eye doctor for a complete and extensive examination.  First of all, I was not really surprised when the good looking medical assistant that I smiled at last week, ended up being the assistant who called me in for the exam.  There seemed to be a few sparks, but once he got a look at me close-up, I am sure his curiousity was satisfied.

As for the appointment, I got home from the doctor's appointment almost three hours ago; and I still can't wrap my head around the news the doctor gave me.  He was very alarmed when I was there for my glaucoma check last week and wanted me tested completely - sooner rather than later.  He had noticed that my vision with my glasses was drastically off from the last exam. 

What he found out after all of his tests is that after wearing glasses for almost all of the last thirty years; my eyesight has totally corrected itself to 20 / 20.  He told me not to bother wearing my glasses any longer and he suggested I head over to the DMV to have my driver's license changed to reflect that I don't need corrective lenses.  He gave me a new prescription for basically a pair of cheaters (due to all newspapers and books shrinking the size of their font).  He said that they would be for bifocals, but that the upper portion would be basically clear glass.  He also suggested that I not waste my money getting a new pair of glasses.

Great news, TCB!!

George

« Reply #292 on: April 11, 2009, 12:03:20 AM »

It's been a couple of years since I've gotten my eyes checked, but I haven't noticed any change in my vision...that I've noticed. :)

George

« Reply #293 on: April 11, 2009, 12:06:11 AM »

I went to a local production of "Loot" tonight and it was quite good. :) It was performed at a store-front theater called The Midnight Sun and there were 42 chairs...I counted.  There were seven people in the cast (including the live actress playing the dead body!), however there were only eight people in the audience...including the director.  Oh, well.  We all enjoyed it.  I may go back and see it again. :D

George

« Reply #294 on: April 11, 2009, 12:07:19 AM »

Right now, I'm watching The View with guests Jeffery Dean Morgan and Nathan Fillion.   

George

« Reply #295 on: April 11, 2009, 12:09:31 AM »

Tomorrow, I'm going to work for a few hours to make up time that I took off to get my taxes done and to usher for Altar Boyz.

George

« Reply #296 on: April 11, 2009, 12:09:50 AM »

Gratuitous Post #296.

George

« Reply #297 on: April 11, 2009, 12:10:21 AM »

Can I make it to the next page??

George

« Reply #298 on: April 11, 2009, 12:11:40 AM »

My niece's birthday is next Friday and the DVD that I bought her, arrived at my work today.  I got her the British show, the live musical of Bad Girls

George

« Reply #299 on: April 11, 2009, 12:12:16 AM »

The original show is like a woman's version of "Oz."

And since we're so close...
Pages: 1 ... 8 9 [10] 11   Go Up