Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FURDD  (Read 23037 times)

Ginny

Re: FURDD
« Reply #210 on: April 11, 2009, 07:16:43 PM »

Well, Miami University still has never won a national championship in any sport.  The hockey team just lost to Boston U in overtime.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Laura

« Reply #211 on: April 11, 2009, 07:19:20 PM »

That $1.66 will stimulate the economy for sure!
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

Cillaliz

« Reply #212 on: April 11, 2009, 07:25:01 PM »

DR Cillaliz - Well, if you didn't have any rain last night...

Had to jump in the car early this morning to get to my parents' and it's right where they drive their cars, so not sure what it will look like when I get back...AND it's supposed to rain.  It wasn't my greatest work of art, just a fun time with my neighbor

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #213 on: April 11, 2009, 07:27:06 PM »

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

You want to meet in Vegas?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #214 on: April 11, 2009, 07:27:07 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
to the Mother of DR Cillaliz!!!!!!

Thanks! We went to the Masonic Hall for their soup and pie lunch, then I did some work around the house and on my dad's computer, then we went to some friends' at the lake and sat on the deck on a beautiful evening with a glass of wine or two before going out to my mom's favorite restaurant for fried chicken.  It was a nice day

Cillaliz

« Reply #215 on: April 11, 2009, 07:31:03 PM »

Mom says thanks for the birthday greetings and in a very dramatic tone "Good, glad someone's thinking of me" LOL, This from a woman who had a mailbox full of cards, had greeting from everyone she saw, telephone calls etc...she cracks me up

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #216 on: April 11, 2009, 07:31:32 PM »

G'night!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Cillaliz

« Reply #217 on: April 11, 2009, 07:32:44 PM »

I wish these spam people would stop insisting that I need to clean my colon.

Well I wish they'd stop insisting I need my penis enlarged. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #218 on: April 11, 2009, 07:38:49 PM »

Back from making a delivery of CDs to a local dealer.

FJL

« Reply #219 on: April 11, 2009, 08:14:39 PM »

So sorry to hear your news, DAW.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #220 on: April 11, 2009, 08:27:24 PM »

My goodness, I had a very full evening of SIN CITY.

I thought I only had one more bonus feature to go, but I had SIX more to do. I hadn't noticed an entire section of bonuses hosted by RObert Rodriguez.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #221 on: April 11, 2009, 08:32:13 PM »

Next, I watched the theatrical cut of the film on Disc 1. It really looks phenomenal in high definition. One of the best transfers I've ever seen.

And what a cast he rounded up for the movie including three sensational stars for the leads of the three major stories: Bruce Willis, Mickey Rourke, and Clive Owen. Then you throw in Benecio Del Toro, Powers Boothe, Nick Stahl, Michael Clarke Duncan, Rutgar Hauer, Michael Madsen, plus all of those alluring ladies (Rosario Dawson, Jessica Alba, Brittney Murphy, Jaime King) and it's a mind-blowing cast perfectly cast in their roles.

Matt H.

« Reply #222 on: April 11, 2009, 08:35:30 PM »

The first disc offers five ways to watch the movie including the cine-Explore windows popping up with pages from the graphic novel and the green screen actual shooting along with the audio commentary between the two directors. Or you can watch the movie with just the audio commentary between the directors and no pop-up windows. Or you can have the commentary with Rodriguez and Quentin Tarantino with Bruce WIllis dropping by for the last quarter of the movie. Or you can play it with a whooping live audience recorded in Austin, Texas where the movie was actually shot.

The movie comes with a DTS-HD MAster Audio 5.1 track, and it's quite wonderful easily equal in quality to the picture.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 08:37:29 PM by Matt H. »

Ben

« Reply #223 on: April 11, 2009, 08:36:57 PM »

Ginny, you will love 10 Chimneys. I wasn't able to go with Anthony but he went and loved it and brought back memoribilia and stories. Coward was a very frequent visitor and had his own room.

As Pogue said the BBC Coward Box Set is excellent and well worth viewing/purchasing.

I saw an excellent production of Present Laughter with George C. Scott, Christine Lahti and in the role of the annoying fan, Mr. Nathan Lane. If not his Broadway debut it was one of the first roles he played on Broadway.

I love Hay Fever and Private Lives

Matt H.

« Reply #224 on: April 11, 2009, 08:39:52 PM »

Tomorrow I'll watch the extended, unrated 147 minute cut of the film. I'm sure it will be a lot more violent.

There is also an interactive comic book on the second disc that I haven't looked at yet, another new feature exclusive to the Blu-ray release. I thought it might pertain to the unrated cut which I've never seen, so I didn't pull that feature up yet. I should have no trouble finishing these tomorrow and getting the review posted, maybe by late afternoon instead of late in the evening.

Matt H.

« Reply #225 on: April 11, 2009, 08:41:20 PM »

However, I did end my evening with the second episode of KROD MANDOON. Again, it had a couple of very funny bits along with quite a few lame ones. But to just stare at Sean Maguire is a nice way to pass a half hour.

td

• td
« Reply #226 on: April 11, 2009, 08:43:10 PM »

What happens in Vegas stays in Vegas.

You want to meet in Vegas?

I LOVE the way you talk, DR TCB!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ben

« Reply #227 on: April 11, 2009, 08:48:21 PM »

Even though I said the less said about The Philanthropist the better I will say something.

I think it's a not very good play and it wasn't done well. It's pretentious, dull, not as funny as the author, Christopher Hampton, seems to think it is and full of unpleasant people saying unpleasant things. The one "pleasant" character for whom we are supposed to have sympathy is so deadly dull and whining and tiresome that I don't give a rat's patootie about him. I also think Mr. Hampton is one of the most over-rated playwrights I have read. I loathe and detest Total Eclipse and there isn't much else of his that I like.

Matthew Broderick should be forbidden, by edict, from ever doing an English accent again! The same goes for Steven Weber (from Wings). The only good accents came from the two real Brits in the play.

It was fun to see the monologue that I mentioned on Friday (which I used to use for auditions) in the context of the play but now that I see it years later I wonder if perhaps doing that piece was the reason I was not cast when I used it?

Oh, well. I've seen worse but I don't recommend The Philanthropist, even on a free ticket.

Although I wasn't able to greet her, former DR Julie (FJL's friend) was there. I met her once, I believe, at Fred and Skip's. There was a big group of All That Chat people at last night's performance and my friend, while not a regular poster, does read All That Chat and sometimes gets together with people from the board for theatre or dinner or the like. I wonder what Miss Julie thought of the play?

Matt H.

« Reply #228 on: April 11, 2009, 08:56:55 PM »

I'm going to write just a bit more before heading downstairs to bed.

Good night!

FJL

« Reply #229 on: April 11, 2009, 09:07:19 PM »

Ben - Julie was also one of the many HHW-ers at CURTAINS on the same preview night.

Ben

« Reply #230 on: April 11, 2009, 09:10:03 PM »

On a much more pleasant note, I have returned from my Norman Conquest Marathon.

What a wonderful day in the theatre.

I don't recall ever seeing NC (I think I would have remembered). I read it when it came out from Fireside but this is a play (or plays) that need to be seen.

This production came over from the Old Vic with the original British cast and they are wonderful.

If you don't know the show, it's 3 plays all detailing the events of a Saturday and Sunday each told from a different part of the house where the events take place. It involves 2 sisters, a brother, his wife and one of the sister's husband, Norman (of the title). Tom, the vet who lives down the road is also involved in the goings on. It's an hilarious work, each play can stand on it's own so you don't have to see them all in one day but I recommend it. Everything is fresh and add to the laughter when something happens in Play 2 that you remember from Play 1 or you see something in Play 3 that relates to an incident in Play 2, etc, etc, etc. The 3rd play (the one that I saw as 3rd) Round and Round the Garden is, I think, the weakest of the three. it's a bit too long and meanders (I think) and the end is a bit forced, but it's still lots of fun and you need it to make the entire package work.

This is a wonderful production in all aspects, acting,  direction, sets and costumes and sound. I highly recommend it. If you're in New York and can get a Saturday marathon package, go for it. You're there from 11am to 10:30pm (with a lunch and dinner break) but it's a great way to see the show. Again, Miss Julie was at the theatre. I don't know if she was there for all three but I did see her across the theatre (it's at Circle in the Square, a small house where you can see the entire audience) for the first play. I hope she enjoyed it as much as I did.

Tomorrow is Distracted (a play about a mother with an ADD dianosed child) and then Accent on Youth (from 1934) with David Hyde Pierce.

FJL

« Reply #231 on: April 11, 2009, 09:14:56 PM »

Ben - I think Julie was seeing Next to Normal this evening, so she wasn't doing the Norman Conquests marathon.

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #232 on: April 11, 2009, 09:15:25 PM »

Well, Miami University still has never won a national championship in any sport.  The hockey team just lost to Boston U in overtime.

Both Bemidji and Miami of Ohio were cinderalla teams...

It is a possibility that Bemidji is going to be in the WCHA next year
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

DakotaCelt

• Life is a Dance!!
« Reply #233 on: April 11, 2009, 09:16:12 PM »

Good day one and all...

Still alive but I have very limited puter access. Hopefully once things have settled, things will get better.
Mischief is where you are old enough to know better but young enough to try!~~ DakotaCelt, 2004
If a man loses something and he goes back and looks carefully, he will find it ~~ Sitting Bull
Noodles Grow... Meat Shrinks... Oh the beauty of cooking!
"Humility is probably the most difficult virtue to realize." --Thomas Yellowtail, CROW
Continue to contaminate your bed, and you will one night suffocate in your own waste. ~~ Chief Seattle, 1854

FJL

« Reply #234 on: April 11, 2009, 09:16:54 PM »

td - Skinner and Ripley in OVER HERE sounds like a great idea. 

I'd go to that if anyone could cast them in a benefit or something like that.

Ben

« Reply #235 on: April 11, 2009, 09:20:55 PM »

Circle in the Square is where I saw the aforementioned production of Present Laughter

td

• td
« Reply #236 on: April 11, 2009, 09:21:37 PM »

td - Skinner and Ripley in OVER HERE sounds like a great idea. 

I'd go to that if anyone could cast them in a benefit or something like that.

I was just listening to Emily's "Where Did the Good Times Go?" and now I really DO think that those girls would be perfect for OVER HERE!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Laura

« Reply #237 on: April 11, 2009, 09:27:53 PM »

Good to see you, DakotaCelt.
"Your lucky number is 7. You will soar to great heights. Be sure to ride The Cyclone."
                                                           -- The Amazing Karnak

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #238 on: April 11, 2009, 09:31:02 PM »

You mean from the Sherman Brothers album I sort of produced?  If so, wouldn't it be nice to hear the other half of the orchestration?  As most know, I did not mix the album, and the ASS who did couldn't find the second pass of the orchestra and therefore left it off the entire album, i.e. half the orchestration.  That and the fact that the ASS used full takes of the singers, usually the first or second take, instead of comping the vocal to make the best take.  The album is a travesty.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #239 on: April 11, 2009, 09:31:11 PM »

And so is the ASS.
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9   Go Up