Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: FURDD  (Read 22811 times)

Jennifer

Re: FURDD
« Reply #30 on: April 11, 2009, 08:05:34 AM »

Re: GHOST WHISPERER.

Yes, it went over by a minute here, too. Luckily, I recorded FLASHPOINT last night, so I watched the first part of that recording and got the end of GHOST WHISPERER.

Well here we get the feed on the canadian network. And they never go over, except during IDOL. Even if the American station goes over by a minute, they usually correct it with the commercials.

And funny i wrote my GW comments before reading yours. We both want more jim!

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #31 on: April 11, 2009, 08:05:46 AM »

Well, I lost a long post on the TOD this morning due to "connection problems".

I'll try again:

I loves me some Noel Coward.  My first encounter with The Master was doing HAY FEVER at The Globe of the Great Southwest, playing patriarch David Bliss, when I was way too young for it, at the tender age of 23.   Nevertheless, I was very good in the part, if I may immodestly say so, and garnered excellent reviews.

In 1982 in London I saw a delightful production of DESIGN FOR LIVING with Ian Ogilvy, Maria Aitken, and Gary Bond (interesting side note: the programme cost  40p; now they cost somewhere between 2-3pds)

In LA at the Huntington Hartford, I saw a nice production of Coward's first big hit, THE VORTEX, starring Stephanie Beacham and either Rupert Everett or Rupert Graves, I can't remember and I'm not digging out the programme to find out.

I saw the terrific Peter Bowles as Gary Essendine (a Noel Coward surrogate) in the very funny PRESENT LAUGHTER.  The always-wonderful Fecility Kendall and the equally always-wonderful Frances DeLaTour were marvelous in the hilarious FALLEN ANGELS.  The second act drunk scene was one of the funniest things I've ever seen.

I saw Corin and Vanessa Redgrave in one of Coward's last plays, SONG AT TWILIGHT.  He was better than she.  At one point, as the character, Vanessa hummed a snatch of "I Wonder What The King Is Doing Tonight" from Camelot.  I doubt The Master would have been amused by this little "in" joke.

Probably the best Noel Coward I ever saw was the 2001 London production of PRIVATE LIVES starring Alan Rickman and Lindsay Duncan, directed by Howard Davies.  A shimmering, elegant production!

The worst production I ever saw was BLITHE SPIRIT with Penelope Keith playing Madam Arcati.  You would have thought it a perfect match of actor/role.  Sadly not so.  I also thought the play had not aged well; but it could have just been the production.  Also saw Ms. Keith in a disappointing stage adaptation of a Noel Coward short story, STAR QUALITY, that just laid there and she was not right for the role (There is a wonderful film adaptation of the same story with Susannah York).  I really like Ms. Keith as an actress; but she missed badly in both of these.

I heartily recommend the BBC boxed set of Noel Coward, which has productions of many of the aboved-mentioned plays (notably a great production of PRESENT LAUGHTER with Donald Sinden) and also the playlets from TONIGHT AT EIGHT-THIRTY.  There are also several fascinating interviews with The Master himself.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: April 11, 2009, 08:07:59 AM »

Yes, it went over by a minute here, too. Luckily, I recorded FLASHPOINT last night, so I watched the first part of that recording and got the end of GHOST WHISPERER.

Well here we get the feed on the canadian network. And they never go over, except during IDOL. Even if the American station goes over by a minute, they usually correct it with the commercials.

Well, now that Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jaime Kennedy are a romantic item (I do NOT understand this relationship), I fear we're going to get more of Kennedy and less of David COnrad. I hope that isn't the case, but I could see it happening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Jennifer

« Reply #33 on: April 11, 2009, 08:08:42 AM »

I usually go out on Saturday mornings. But my niece had a birthday party at Fundomundo for one of her daycare friends. So other than her calling to wake me up at 7am, i slept till after 9am!

I have a few things to watch. And a bunch of library books to read. I started a new series by author Kelley Armstrong. And am on book 2 (stolen). I think there are 8 books in the series, but she changes narrators in each book. Not sure if i will like this.

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2009, 08:10:28 AM »

Well, now that Jennifer Love Hewitt and Jaime Kennedy are a romantic item (I do NOT understand this relationship), I fear we're going to get more of Kennedy and less of David COnrad. I hope that isn't the case, but I could see it happening.

I totally forgot about this.  Well at least they've made Eli more likeable. AFter her other best guy friend left (loved him) i was not liking jamie kennedy at all. But they've managed to make him much more tolerable.

But it makes total sense why melinda spends so much time with him. Although don't the writers write what they want? I wish they would give camryn manheim more to do as well. They under use her!

DAW

« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2009, 08:13:02 AM »

I, too, experienced problems accessing HHW for several hours this morning.     :(

By and large, SMF has been fairly consistent since our transition.

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 11, 2009, 08:13:39 AM »

As for favorite Coward songs:

I think his greatest is "If Love Were All." Everything else kind of pales beside it for me.

I do like "I'll See You Again," "Someday I'll Find You," "Mad Dogs and Englishmen," "I'll Follow My Secret Heart," "Sail Away," and "Home Sweet Heaven."

DAW

« Reply #37 on: April 11, 2009, 08:13:40 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY
to the Mother of DR Cillaliz!!!!!!

DAW

« Reply #38 on: April 11, 2009, 08:14:12 AM »

I think his greatest is "If Love Were All." Everything else kind of pales beside it for me.

DITTO!   :)

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 11, 2009, 08:16:57 AM »

I totally forgot about this.  Well at least they've made Eli more likeable. AFter her other best guy friend left (loved him) i was not liking jamie kennedy at all. But they've managed to make him much more tolerable.

But it makes total sense why melinda spends so much time with him. Although don't the writers write what they want? I wish they would give camryn manheim more to do as well. They under use her!

Camryn Mannheim has been almost totally wasted on the show since her introduction. If she didn't have that son who's figured importantly in several of the episodes, she would be of no use whatsoever except to mind the store while Melinda is gone.

You're more tolerant of Jaime Kennedy than I am. I liked Jay Mohr much more on the show than Jaime Kennedy. His personality really does not set well with me, and I think he's a lousy actor, too.

Jennifer

« Reply #40 on: April 11, 2009, 08:17:13 AM »

DR Cillaliz that is funny that you were drawing with chalk on the street yesterday. I was too!

My  niece decided to try pictures and we attempted to play hopscotch (although i could not remember the rules and she could not hop on one foot).

We took a wagon ride too. Although she collected rocks and put them in the wagon. and with the wagon on the driveway, some little boy took them while we were playing. She was not pleased!

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #41 on: April 11, 2009, 08:18:20 AM »

Good morning, all! I slept late and then got caught up in Toyland business. I'm on my second cup of coffee and my oatmeal as I type this.

Today, more Toyland work, and I have to sketch out a medley for Mr Ron Raines. I also want to duck into Holy Trinity Church across from my apartment and say a prayer for my dad and run to the market.

TOD: Blithe Spirit & Hay Fever are the only two Coward plays I believe I've seen onstage, both in good productions and both had Deborah Rush in their casts. I've worked on TONIGHT AT 8:30 for the Williamstown Theatre Festival, and some of the one-acts are wonderful; I wish I could say the same of their director who did not do nearly as good a job on his set as he had done with the original production of RENT. The other set was directed by Ann Reinking and she was a joy to work with. I just rememebred that the Williamstown cast also had Deborah Rush. She's good.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: April 11, 2009, 08:21:54 AM »

I do like "I'll See You Again," "Someday I'll Find You," "Mad Dogs and Englishmen," "I'll Follow My Secret Heart," "Sail Away," and "Home Sweet Heaven."

I think the whole score for BITTER SWEET is quite wonderful, and the other great song in the score besides "If Love Were All" is the same character's moving "Kiss Me (Before You Go Away)" before the duel that kills the leading man. Interesting that the generous chanteuse who has the two best songs is not the leading lady's role!

"Home Sweet Heaven" is from HIGH SPIRITS but Coward didn't write it; Hugh Martin and Timothy Gray did.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jennifer

« Reply #43 on: April 11, 2009, 08:24:10 AM »

re: GHOST WHISPERER

DR MattH, i too loved jay mohr. And i think he was more likeable. But i remember how much i disliked jamie kennedy in the beginning. And he has grown on me. At least he can hear the ghosts so it's sort of fun at time.

Kerry

« Reply #44 on: April 11, 2009, 08:26:46 AM »

TOD:  My favorite film by Noel Coward is "Brief Encounter"
Favorite Noel Coward song has to be, "IF Love Were All."  "Sail Away" is another favorite.  Of his clever, witty songs, "Nina" is a favorite.  Well, there are too many and all so much fun.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #45 on: April 11, 2009, 08:27:10 AM »

And yes, it is finally raining on Phoenix.
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #46 on: April 11, 2009, 08:31:43 AM »

TOD:  The only two Coward plays I've seen live are
"Blithe Spirit" ( a bad production of a good play) and "Private Lives"  (which was extremely well done).
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:26:50 AM by Kerry »
I like boat races.

Laura

« Reply #47 on: April 11, 2009, 08:41:59 AM »

We are going to color Easter eggs this morning at the church. I do not understand why we color Easter eggs and have an egg hunt at church. That would be like having Santa there at Christmas. But I am outvoted.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #48 on: April 11, 2009, 08:42:28 AM »

How are your joints, Kerry? Did you also lose the ability to forecast the weather?
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: April 11, 2009, 08:43:41 AM »

Saturday morning greetings!  We're enjoying a visit from Rob and Mary Linda, who are about to do some errands while I prep the house for tomorrow's Easter dinner.  We will have 7 or 8 around our table for ham, cheesy potatoes, green beans, green (Jello) eggs, rolls, and whatever my sister-in-law brings for dessert.
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

td

• td
« Reply #50 on: April 11, 2009, 08:47:47 AM »

DOUBLE DITTO!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #51 on: April 11, 2009, 08:50:45 AM »

I saw a wonderful production of HAY FEVER at the Pittsburgh Public many years ago. . .it's the only Coward I've ever seen on stage.  IIRC, April Shawhan played the ingenue.

Now that I've thought of it, on a side note:  Why doesn't someone revive OVER HERE! with Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner?
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Ginny

« Reply #52 on: April 11, 2009, 08:57:32 AM »

TOD - I imagine sometime along the line I've seen productions of Coward plays, but my best memory is of a 2-LP set that was owned by the library where I started my career:

Cowardy Custard

Hmm, wonder if it's on CD?

"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

Ginny

« Reply #53 on: April 11, 2009, 09:01:48 AM »

Oh, just had a Facebook IM from my sister-in-law telling me that they're bringing a cake from Servatii's - yum!

Matt H.

« Reply #54 on: April 11, 2009, 09:07:46 AM »

I think the whole score for BITTER SWEET is quite wonderful, and the other great song in the score besides "If Love Were All" is the same character's moving "Kiss Me (Before You Go Away)" before the duel that kills the leading man. Interesting that the generous chanteuse who has the two best songs is not the leading lady's role!

"Home Sweet Heaven" is from HIGH SPIRITS but Coward didn't write it; Hugh Martin and Timothy Gray did.

Argh! You're right. I guess I was fooled since he sings it as a bonus on the London cast CD.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: April 11, 2009, 09:08:03 AM »

I'm up and getting ready to jog - looks very pretty out.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #56 on: April 11, 2009, 09:08:32 AM »

Yes, I suppose IF LOVE WERE ALL is THE Coward Anthem.  But there are lots of others I'm wild about...PLAY, ORCHESTRA, PLAY; YOU WERE THERE; NINA; DON'T PUT YOUR DAUGHTER ON THE STAGE, MRS. WORTHINGTON; POOR LITTLE RICH GIRL; MAD DOGS & ENGLISNMEN; NEVER AGAIN; WE WERE DANCING; GREEN CARNATIONS; COME THE WILD, WILD WEATHER.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #57 on: April 11, 2009, 09:09:26 AM »

Not thrilled to hear about the problems earlier, but since they're fixed and since we have had so little wrong I'll not write the host - but, please keep monitoring (I'll be out for a while because she of the Evil Eye is here) and e-mail me if there's any problems. 

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: April 11, 2009, 09:11:18 AM »

Now that I've thought of it, on a side note:  Why doesn't someone revive OVER HERE! with Alice Ripley and Emily Skinner?

I saw the original Broadway production and found it a wonderfully fun evening. Not a great show but a thoroughly entertaining evening, and I would have given it the Tony over RAISIN that year.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2009, 09:12:10 AM »

Bluth Brothers theater is written about extensively in Kritzer Time (therein called Beach Brothers) - it was in Culver City and our MD was indeed Don.  I know I've told the story before that when I came in for a rehearsal one day for High Spirits and there was the most gorgeous backdrop of London hanging outside the double windows of the set.  Don was there, working and I asked him where it had come from.  He said Disney - he'd painted it for Mary Poppins!  It was the first time he'd ever mentioned that he worked for Disney.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 9   Go Up