Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE  (Read 18375 times)

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
Re: SCENES FROM A MARRIAGE
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 06:17:57 AM »

And the word of the day is: COLPORTEUR!

And The Song Of The Day Is: MY PRAYER

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 06:21:46 AM »

And The COLPORTEUR song Of The Day Is:  I'VE GOT YOU UNDER MY SKIN

And The IRVING BERLIN song Of The Day Is(OF COURSE) EASTER PARADE

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 06:25:16 AM »

The photos of Lange and Barrymore from the HBO production of GREY GARDENS (not the musical, I am assuming) are most intriguing.

.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 07:18:44 AM »

BK, to marry young is bad enough; but to do it right at the height of the sexual revolution, even worse.  Free love with none of today's scary complications.  Hope you made up for lost time.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 07:46:15 AM »

BK: (Or anyone who has seen BRAINSTORM on DVD)

I am curious about the transfer of BRAINSTORM.

If I remember correctly the film was mainly filmed in 35mm and the BRAINSTORM sequences were film in 70mm. All I actually do remember that the screen size for the two sequences were different.

Now if this is so, on the DVD is there a difference between the two? Or is formatted for widescreen TV and there is no difference.

The original DVD certainly had the differeing ratios, and in the theater, this was VERY effective.

I think bk got the chronology right as well as I remember. Natalie died during the production of the movie, but the director said most of her work was done and what wasn't could be covered with outtakes. I agree that the film seems just a bit lacking, but much of it is very entertaining.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 07:47:34 AM »

Good Easter morning!

It's going to be a beautiful day here, and I'll spend some of it on the porch breathing fresh air.  Trees are blooming here, azaleas are blooming, and it's just a beautiful spring!

Matt H.

« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 07:49:49 AM »

I still have a fair amount of work to do on SIN CITY. I have the 147 minute unrated, expanded edition to watch which I'll do this afternoon. There is also an interactive comic book with this cut that I have no idea what it will be like.

The press release that I have says there are four more featurettes which I didn't find on the disc. They aren't listed on the back of the case in the liner notes either, so I have to believe the press release was written before the discs actually went to the plant. There must not have been room for them.

Matt H.

« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 07:52:32 AM »

I really don't understand why a nonmusical film of GREY GARDENS was made. We have the original documentaries with the real people. Now, if they had done the musical version, that would have brought something new to the table.

Of course, they couldn't do the musical of GREY GARDENS with these actresses. I'm not sure either of them can sing. Drew was the only one dubbed in Woody Allen's EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU, and Jessica, of course, used Patsy Cline's original recordings in SWEET DREAMS.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2009, 07:54:43 AM »

Good morning, all! Yes, BK, you did spy an elmore around 3 am EST because the dog did not stop barking until  then. So, I fell asleep sometime after that. And I am not at all happy about it.

I had a strange dream involving my friend Greg MacKellan, who started San Francisco's 42nd STREET MOON company  several years ago. I had met Greg sround 1988, when he was living in Los Angeles and staged a production of my JUBILEE restoration. In my dream, Greg had lost a bit of weight, which has nothing to do with my dream, but through some project or other, I was working with Greg and reunited with someone I had met through him ages ago, around 1990, and had a huge crush on (I cannot remember the name!). There was a lot of flirting before my realization in the course of the dream that this romance would never work out: I cared too much, always had, and if the other party had really cared at all, ever, we would have been a couple a long time ago before we were too set in our ways. I was very sad when I woke. Of course, in the awake world, I clearly didn't care that much: I can't remember the name!

Today, Ron Raines' concert sketch and a few other odd jobs around the apartment before I get too sleepy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:15:14 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Matt H.

« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2009, 07:55:41 AM »

I think I will have some free time tonight to watch something for fun. I have another James Bond on Blu-ray. I have several other recent acquisitions on Blu-ray like MILK and THE ROAD WARRIOR. I still have one film in the last Alice Faye box that I haven't watched and all but one in the Carmen Miranda box that have gone untouched. I still have two films in the Warner Homefront box that I haven't gotten to as well as two remaining Warner Archive DVDs to check out.

So, lots of choices for my viewing enjoyment tonight. And I might just ditch them all and watch EASTER PARADE in its gorgeous Ultra-Resolution prime on DVD.

Matt H.

« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2009, 07:57:53 AM »

On TV Tonight!™

CBS - THE AMAZING RACE, COLD CASE, THE UNIT
NBC - DATELINE, CELEBRITY APPRENTICE
ABC - EXTREME MAKEOVER
SHO - THE TUDORS

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 08:36:22 AM »

Well, I need to head downstairs now to get laundry ready for washing and then go to the kitchen to get started on lunch preparation.

WBBL.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 09:31:18 AM »

Good Morning!  Good Afternoon!

I'm up, I'm up... And I do believe the Easter Bunny was on his way.
Make Your Own Luck.

Kerry

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2009, 09:40:56 AM »

Good Morning and Happy Easter!!!!!
I like boat races.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2009, 09:42:15 AM »

I'm up a little later than usual because I was up a little later than usual finishing a motion picture on DVD. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #45 on: April 12, 2009, 09:42:32 AM »

Glad people are liking Two For The Seesaw.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2009, 09:43:53 AM »

Shayne, the new Brainstorm DVD attempts to replicate the shifting ratios - the non-Brainstorm scenes (where someone is hooked into the machine) are 1:85 letterboxed in the middle of your widescreen TV.  The Brainstorm scenes are anamorphic scope.  It works fine.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2009, 09:53:04 AM »

I really don't understand why a nonmusical film of GREY GARDENS was made. We have the original documentaries with the real people. Now, if they had done the musical version, that would have brought something new to the table.

Of course, they couldn't do the musical of GREY GARDENS with these actresses. I'm not sure either of them can sing. Drew was the only one dubbed in Woody Allen's EVERYONE SAYS I LOVE YOU, and Jessica, of course, used Patsy Cline's original recordings in SWEET DREAMS.

Well, let's hope that the new HBO film brings the original documentary and the musical version to the attention of those viewers who may have not have previously known of their existence.

I just talked to a friend who went to the screening in NYC last night, and he was very pleasantly surprised.  He did admit that he went in not expecting to like it, but he said the performances of Drew Barrymoore and Jessica Lange were quite good. He also liked the "distance" that the recreation of these ladies' lives provided for the viewer.  He didn't feel like an "uncomfortable voyeur" like he did when he watched the original documentary.  He also appreciated how the filmmaker made sure to tell the story of both Edie's - not making Big Edie a supporting character.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2009, 10:03:50 AM »

...And after refilling the windshield wiper fluid reservoir on my "new" car, I finally figured out how to lock and unlock the car without setting off the car alarm.  -I have the key, but the dealership did not provide the original "security fob".
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #49 on: April 12, 2009, 10:11:34 AM »

Just got about twelve orders in, all, I'd guess, as a result of the playbill review.  So either those people don't go to any other websites and were not aware of the release, or they were waiting until the last possible second to order.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #50 on: April 12, 2009, 10:20:45 AM »

CONTINUED GOOD WEATHER & STAY DRY VIBES FOR DR DAKOTA!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #51 on: April 12, 2009, 10:36:41 AM »

OK... Time for me to get ready to head out to the Easter Lunch/Dinner/Egg Hunt.  -Apparently, the two daughters of the director colored about 100 eggs and hid them all over their house.  I suspect hilarity will ensue.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Jane

« Reply #52 on: April 12, 2009, 10:41:56 AM »

DR Jose, I have Carvel’s chocolate crunchies in the house but no ice cream. 

Last night we went to friends for dinner and I was asked to make my sour cream cookies.  I also baked oatmeal cookies with Heath toffee pieces.  They were both a bit hit.  Our neighbor is dating a chef and he made a shrimp & scallop curry.   While I was not at all tempted to taste the shrimp & scallops I must say the dish looked beautiful.  I had a perfectly cooked piece of halibut & my own little dish of curry with julienne snow peas.  The curry was suburb. 
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 11:08:12 AM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #53 on: April 12, 2009, 10:48:19 AM »

Okay, let's be done with page two NOW.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #54 on: April 12, 2009, 10:53:41 AM »

PEEP(S) SHOW

HAPPY EASTER!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jane

« Reply #55 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:09 AM »

Bruce I remember a discussion we had regarding your “contented” state with your marriage, more of an acceptance of what it was than joy in it.  I kept saying that wasn’t right & how could you settle for that.  Now I understand you were making it work for your daughter.

DR Charles Pogue I completely disagree with you that 20 is too young to be married.  Keith now regrets he made me wait until we were that old instead of getting married at 18 or 19.  We know a good number of happily married couples who where young when they married.  It is about marrying someone you passionately love, respect and like.  This person should be your best friend.  If you don’t have all of these things to begin with there is nothing to get you through the difficult times.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #56 on: April 12, 2009, 11:00:28 AM »

Last night we went to friends for dinner and I was asked to make my sour cream cookies.  I also baked oatmeal cookies with Heath toffee pieces.  They were both a bit hit.  Our neighbor is dating a chief and he made a shrimp & scallop curry.   While I was not at all tempted to taste the shrimp & scallops I must say the dish looked beautiful.  I had a perfectly cooked piece of halibut & my own little dish of curry with julienne snow peas.  The curry was suburb. 

What tribe?
“One thing’s universal,

Jane

« Reply #57 on: April 12, 2009, 11:02:59 AM »

? DR TCB.  Are you referring to the fact almost our entire meal last night was inappropriate during Passover?

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #58 on: April 12, 2009, 11:03:13 AM »

Last night we went to friends for dinner and I was asked to make my sour cream cookies.  I also baked oatmeal cookies with Heath toffee pieces.  They were both a bit hit.  Our neighbor is dating a chief and he made a shrimp & scallop curry.   While I was not at all tempted to taste the shrimp & scallops I must say the dish looked beautiful.  I had a perfectly cooked piece of halibut & my own little dish of curry with julienne snow peas.  The curry was suburb. 

What tribe?

Sorry, I couldn't resist.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #59 on: April 12, 2009, 11:05:35 AM »

Next?
“One thing’s universal,
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up