Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: VICK'S INHALER  (Read 13827 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
VICK'S INHALER
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:09:49 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you were not allergic to the notes, and now it is time for you to post until the allergic cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: VICK'S INHALER
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:11:07 AM »

And the word of the day is: ETIOLATE!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:11:33 AM »

And who is Vick anyway?  And how did he come to invent the inhaler, not to mention vapo rub?

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:33:00 AM »

And who is Vick anyway?  And how did he come to invent the inhaler, not to mention vapo rub?

According to Wikipedia:

History:

In 1890 pharmacist Lunsford Richardson took over the retail drug business of his brother-in-law Dr. Joshua Vick, of Selma, Greensboro, North Carolina. After Dr Joshua Vick saw an ad for Vick's Seeds, Lunsford Richardson began marketing Vick’s Family Remedies. The basic ingredients of the range included Castor oil, linament, 'dead shot' vermifuge. The most popular remedy was Croup and Pneumonia Salve, which was first compounded in 1891, in Greensboro. It was introduced in 1905 with the name Vick's Magic Croup Salve and rebranded as VapoRub in 1912 at the instigation of Smith Richardson, Lunsford's oldest son; Smith had gained valuable sales and marketing experience while working for a period in New York and Massachusetts after attending college. Smith Richardson assumed the presidency of the company in 1919 upon his father's death.

The flu epidemic of 1918 increased sales of VapoRub from $900,000 to $2.9 million in just one year. In 1948, Edward Mabry became president (the first outside the Richardson family) of Vicks, then known as the Vicks Chemical Company. In 1985, it was sold to Procter & Gamble and Procter & Gamble has since marketed the product as "The only thing more powerful than a mother's touch." VapoRub is currently manufactured and packaged in India and Mexico.

The company archives (including related personal records of the Richardson family) from at least about 1920 or so, up to the 1985 sale to Procter & Gamble, are housed at the University of North Carolina-Chapel Hill.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:47:31 AM »

HAPPY 15TH ANNIVERSARY
to DR JMK and his lovely DW Betsy!!!!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:31:11 AM by DAW »

DAW

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:48:07 AM »

**FEEL BETTER, bk!!!!!**

DAW

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:49:12 AM »

Thanks to all for the {hugs}, vibes, and well wishes!!    :)

DAW

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 02:49:48 AM »

CONGRATULATIONS to DR ArnoldMBrockman on his new milestone! 

DAW

« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 02:51:23 AM »

Laura DR, I really loved the light rail video.  Who knew you had mountains and rivers!!  :D    Was that a super-sized Taco Bell you went past?

Oh, and thanks for sharing the $2.4 million with us.       ;)

DAW

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:51:49 AM »

Glad bk's event was a great success.

DAW

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:52:28 AM »

Now I need to go cut my toenails.

Laura

« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 03:31:01 AM »

Laura DR, I really loved the light rail video.  Who knew you had mountains and rivers!!  :D    Was that a super-sized Taco Bell you went past?

Oh, and thanks for sharing the $2.4 million with us.       ;)

Lots of mountains right here in town. Uh, no Taco Bell. If it was just before the overpass, it is a bar/rock concert venue type of place.

My favorite part of the video is when the other train passes and you can see the reflection of my fingers holding the camera.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:35:12 AM by Laura »
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 03:31:46 AM »

(((((DAW)))))

Laura

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 04:00:22 AM »

Not the TOD but related to the TOD: I am allergic to the midwest in summer. I literally can't breathe in the midwest in summer, so I have been staying away.

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 04:43:01 AM »

Chicken soup works for me.
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 04:46:08 AM »

Good morning, all! I was out of bed by 6:30 since I have a long day today: first thing, I have to cart of lot of accumulated materials back down to Toyland, where I will work on my bibliography for the Babes edition. After that, a meeting with Kim Criswell and Mr John Vogel at Rodgers & Hammerstein at 11. After that, home to await a UPS delivery and at 2pm I have to head to the York Theatre for a reading of a new musical "Shooting Star-the Bobby Driscoll Story." That will put me heading back to the West Side during rush hour, which I hate, but them's the breaks.

I have some vibes to send out to our beloved vixmom for surgery, to singdaw for job vibes, to the vixter for being a great daughter, to Jose for success with THE PRODUCERS, to MBarnum who needs all the help he can get, and to everyone else for health, wealth, or happiness!!
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 04:50:19 AM »

I just posted this story on my Amazon blog, but I thought that you folks migh enjoy it, too:

As those of you who have read ONCE UPON A TIME IN HOLLYWOOD: From the Secret Files of Harry Pennypacker know, my book contains a chapter about Elvis Presley.

However, what you probably don't know is that I had an encounter with Elvis way back when I was in college.

My "professional" motion picture career began in 1962, during the summer between my junior and senior years at the University of Washington.

That was the summer of the Seattle World's Fair; the year that Elvis Presley came to town to make a movie.

Elvis and company spent about three weeks in Seattle, filming scenes on and around the Space Needle and other key fairground sites.  Extras were being hired locally, so one morning, having nothing better to do, I went down to the location, applied...and was immediately hired.

Hot digity!  I was going to be in a movie...produced by MGM, the one-time home of Gable, Garbo, Spencer Tracy, Lana Turner, Lassie, Tarzan, The Marx Brothers and all the other film icons I worshipped.

Me and Elvis!  Immortalized on screen together!

Okay, wait.  Don’t worry.  I’m kidding.

I was never that big of a putz.

Even back then, I knew enough about movies to know what it was like to work as an extra.

I knew that I wouldn't get billing over Elvis.

Seriously though, I didn't really care about the ten dollars and the box lunch I was getting for the day.  All I wanted out of this experience was, when the movie was finally released, to be able to see myself up on the big screen.

Easier said than done.

I was astute enough to know that, if I was going to accomplish my goal, I would have to stick close to Elvis.  After all, the camera would be following him...not the extras.

The 3rd assistant director, who was in charge of the extras, certainly wasn't any help.  He kept placing me way in the background, so that in the final film, I would appear as just another "human ant".

Luckily, this guy didn't hang around after he'd positioned us.  He went off and took care his other duties...and I put my plan into motion.

While the director and crew were setting up the rest of the shot, I started working my way up to the front of the crowd...right behind where the main action of the scene was to take place.

I did this all day.  Nobody noticed.  In fact, at one point, I got to stand right next to Elvis himself and we were having a nice friendly chat...until Colonel Parker, his manager, noticed that a "lowly extra" was talking to "His Highness," and told the assistant director to tell me to stop bothering Mr. Presley.

The a.d. looked at me for a moment, and said, "Don't I know you?"

"I don't think so," I said, trying to look totally innocent.

"Look, kid," the guy said with a wink, "I know what you’re doing.  Just be a bit cooler about it."  Then, he walked off.

Did I accomplish my goal?

Did Elvis have a pair of "Blue Suede Shoes"?

Of course, I did.

The name of the movie is IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR, and if you ever catch it on television or DVD, look for the scene where Elvis asks the little boy (Kurt Russell, by the way) to kick him in the shins.

During that brief moment, a 21-year old version of me walks behind them...twice.

I just had to take an encore.

;D

Ben

« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 05:18:59 AM »

Hugs, vibes and best wishes to our dear Vixmom!!!

Michael

« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 05:19:42 AM »

TOD

I prefer chocolate
Never stop dreaming.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 05:39:39 AM »

DR Druxy, IIRC, they show that scene in an Elvis profile by Kurt Russell that often runs on TCM.  I will look for you the next time I see it.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 05:52:11 AM »

DR Druxy, IIRC, they show that scene in an Elvis profile by Kurt Russell that often runs on TCM.  I will look for you the next time I see it.

No beard (or gray hair) back then.

:)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 05:52:12 AM »

Surgery and recovery vibes for DR VIXMOM.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 05:52:45 AM »

Yes I will also look for DR DRUXY in his featured role in IT HAPPENED AT THE WORLD'S FAIR.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:04 AM »

TOD:

Years ago:  Jolly Ranchers

Today:  Starlight Mints

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 05:53:31 AM »

TOD:

Lemon Drops are just about the only hard candy I care for, and I nowadays I only use them when I have a sore throat,  Otherwise, I rather chew gum.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: April 16, 2009, 05:55:12 AM »

* * * * *  SIMPLE GALLBLADDER SURGERY VIBES FOR DR VIXMOM  * * * * *
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 05:55:57 AM »

Supposedly, friends of mine from college are in the background in a scene in TOOTSIE, but I've never been able to pick them out.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 06:00:32 AM »

Ah, yes, DR JRand--Jolly Ranchers!  I forgot about them and how much I liked them, too (especially the watermelon flavor.) 

The trouble I had with Jolly Ranchers was that, because of their mixture of tart and sweet, they would hyperactivate my salivary glands to the point that they were sort of embarassing to suck on in public.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 06:02:42 AM »

I'm sure that everyone here has, at one time or another, performed the Wintermint LifeSaver experiment.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 06:05:43 AM »

One of my favorite Christmas stocking treats I got as a kid was a pack of Charms hard candies with bubble gum inside.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up