Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10   Go Down

Author Topic: HOW BEAUTIFUL THE DAYS  (Read 19736 times)

vixmom

• Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty
Re: HOW BEAUTIFUL THE DAYS
« Reply #240 on: April 21, 2009, 08:30:59 PM »

DR vixmom - I think the vixter and her friends would LOVE Altar Boyz. Depending how many people are going, you may want to call their group sales hotline, you may be able to get a better rate - and they sometime will recognize the "birthday girls" in the audience too.

*And one of my roommates is one of the dressers for the show.  Just sayin'....

Well I will check with her then and see ifshe would like to do that.  I was hoping  last summer to save enough to take her and and a few friends to a Broadway show and out to dinner to celebrate her Sweet Sixteen but the events of the past few months have taken a deep toll onthe old finances - still the ad I received said tickets for $25 and $30 for the Best seats in the house - I figure I could take her and 3 of her friends for $150 so that could be a good day out and still be in the budget.

I will broach the subject with her tomorrow.  If we go - I will definitely let you know the date!

Thanks!
Commit random acts of kindness and sudden beauty

It’s weird being the same age as old people

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #241 on: April 21, 2009, 08:32:23 PM »

Next I watched MOONRAKER on Blu-ray. It's my least favorite Bond film, but when Amazon had it on sale for $13.99 a week or so ago, I couldn't pass it up. And my feelings about the movie haven't changed. A thoroughly dull villain, beautiful but completely vacuous Bond girls, and a pretty lame outer space plot plus a villainous henchman who does an about face 2/3 of the way through the movie. Nope, it's a turkey.

And wouldn't you know it! It has the finest transfer of any of the Roger Moore Bonds thus far issued. It has a GREAT picture, and the original Dolby stereo sound has been modified into a DTS-HD MA 5.1 mix that sounds VERY modern, pretty much the equal of something like IRON MAN or EAGLE EYE.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

vixmom

« Reply #242 on: April 21, 2009, 08:33:15 PM »

Continues to be a heavenly day. A slight little breeze greeted me as I sat on the porch while my lunch was cooking.

I have an urge to visit with you for the rest of my recuperation, Matt H: a lovely clean house, a nice porch to sit on during all your sunny and warm days and then state of the art movie viewing!

It sounds heavenly!  What are your day rates?  ;)

Rates are very reasonable even in the off-season! I'll drop a brochure in the mail to you!

;D

:D :-*

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #243 on: April 21, 2009, 08:33:58 PM »

DR vixmom - I think the vixter and her friends would LOVE Altar Boyz. Depending how many people are going, you may want to call their group sales hotline, you may be able to get a better rate - and they sometime will recognize the "birthday girls" in the audience too.

Well I will check with her then and see ifshe would like to do that.  I was hoping  last summer to save enough to take her and and a few friends to a Broadway show and out to dinner to celebrate her Sweet Sixteen but the events of the past few months have taken a deep toll onthe old finances - still the ad I received said tickets for $25 and $30 for the Best seats in the house - I figure I could take her and 3 of her friends for $150 so that could be a good day out and still be in the budget.

I will broach the subject with her tomorrow.  If we go - I will definitely let you know the date!

Thanks!

The theatre it plays in in New World Stages. There's really not a bad seat in the house.
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #244 on: April 21, 2009, 08:33:59 PM »

Next, I watched Monday night's CHUCK. The Buy More stuff still just spoils the fun of the missions for me. I enjoyed Bakula and Chedder Cheese (Chevy Chase) as the guest stars and wanted more of them and less of the foolishness at Buy More.

MBarnum

« Reply #245 on: April 21, 2009, 08:37:13 PM »

Poor little MacGregor  :-\

Such a cute pup. But I bet he had a wonderful life with Anthony's mom.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #246 on: April 21, 2009, 08:38:07 PM »

...And there was a new item on the menu at FIG tonight: Braised Lamb Neck Ravioli with Mint Pesto.  Sooooo good.  -As was the perfectly made Mint Julep that preceded it. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #247 on: April 21, 2009, 08:39:09 PM »

And I ended my evening watching tonight's AMERICAN IDOL disco night.

Once again, Adam Lambert stomps the competition into the ground with an unusual version of his song. Kris put a different spin on his song, too, but his voice isn't the soaring instrument that Adam has. I liked Allison though her song was pretty standard. Danny had a solid vocal, but I continue to be a bit less enthusiastic about him that the judges. (I still think he's Adam's major competition in the finals, and if not him, Kris.) Lil was awful, Matt sang many of the harmony parts rather than the top line melody on "Stayin' Alive." Anoop flattened out at the end of his rendition.

Michael

« Reply #248 on: April 21, 2009, 08:39:11 PM »

Broadway to Dim Its Lights April 21 in Honor of Late Lighting Designer Tharon Musser

How appropriate
Never stop dreaming.

vixmom

« Reply #249 on: April 21, 2009, 08:39:45 PM »

Jose:

Has AT THE RIALTO ever been recorded?

I don't believe it has. However, Karen Akers' last cabaret show, "Move On", closed with "At the Rialto", and  she also has a Kander & Ebb show too - and I believe a recording is in the works for either show.

Many many moons ago, back before his ever lovin' Joe, or my Vixdad ever appeared on the scene  WFO took me to see Karen Akers (this was back before she appeared in the original Broadway Cast of  NINE ) in a cabaret wher she sang a song he had translated for her

My faulty brain cannot now remember the song (could it be Fly to Caraccas?) and what languages he translated it from and to but I remember her wonderful voice and the great show she put on.

WFO has introduced me to many a wonderful thing over the years, including this here site!

MBarnum

« Reply #250 on: April 21, 2009, 08:40:25 PM »

Tonight's Cheyenne had Van Williams as a guest star. I might have to make a copy and send that one to JRand.

Matt H.

« Reply #251 on: April 21, 2009, 08:40:28 PM »

I have tonight's RESCUE ME and Monday night's HEROES to watch still. One will be during lunch tomorrow (likely RESCUE ME), and the other will be for tomorrow night after I finish my work project.

vixmom

« Reply #252 on: April 21, 2009, 08:42:00 PM »

Thanks!

The theatre it plays in in New World Stages. There's really not a bad seat in the house.

HMMM so maybe I can buy the $25 tickets and bring one more girl!

Michael

« Reply #253 on: April 21, 2009, 08:42:24 PM »

I was surprised to see that the revival of Equus did not receive any major nominations in the Outer Critics award.

I though that at least with all the male nudity of Broadway this past season that Daniel Radcliffe would at least be nominated for Best Performance by a Penis
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #254 on: April 21, 2009, 08:44:11 PM »

We were at a family reunion near Indianapolis over the weekend. We waved, JRand, when we drove through your town.

Here is the moving walkway in the new Indianapolis airport.  This airport is so new that the talking GPS we got the day before the trip didn't know where the airport was.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVDlB0OXF2w

It's an unfounded rumor that this was Tharon Musser's last project.

Speaking of Tharon Musser, does the traditional tribute of dimming the lights on Broadway strike anyone else as an odd way of honoring her?

I did think it was an interesting way to honor her, even if it is the traditional way to honor someone on Broadway.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #255 on: April 21, 2009, 08:47:36 PM »

I was surprised to see that the revival of Equus did not receive any major nominations in the Outer Critics award.

I though that at least with all the male nudity of Broadway this past season that Daniel Radcliffe would at least be nominated for Best Performance by a Penis

That's not even groan-worthy.

And if such a category did exist, I believe that would have gone to Ben Daniels for his appearance in Les Liaisons Dangereuses. -Although, I guess that would have been for last season.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #256 on: April 21, 2009, 08:49:57 PM »

It's been a good season for plays, so the snubbing of Equus was not really a surprise. It was also "overlooked" in the Drama Leagues nominations which were announced today.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #257 on: April 21, 2009, 08:50:26 PM »

Did you even see this production, DR Michael S?
Make Your Own Luck.

Michael

« Reply #258 on: April 21, 2009, 08:57:53 PM »

Did you even see this production, DR Michael S?

Unfortunatly no. I was unable to get to NYC to see it during its run.

I have only seen Equus as a film. I don't think it completely succeeded in its translation. I suspect it works better as a play and in case any one is thinking it. I don't see a play or a movie because it has nudity in it.

I thought that the play and actors received good reviews so I was surprise that it was shut out. But this past year seemed to be an unsually play heavy (a good thing) year so I guess there will be plays left out. (Also the production has closed so that doesn't help)
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #259 on: April 21, 2009, 08:59:18 PM »

Well it is off to bed.

I have a busy day tomorrow.

I have to go to work and prepare for my trip to Canada.
Never stop dreaming.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #260 on: April 21, 2009, 09:00:04 PM »

Well, we're schedule to perform for the Rotary Club at 7:30am... Which means I have to be there at 7:00... Thankfully, their hall is only five minutes from my apartment here in Charleston... However, I need to be up no later than 6:00am... So...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.

vixmom

« Reply #261 on: April 21, 2009, 09:10:57 PM »

Well it is off to bed.

I have a busy day tomorrow.

I have to go to work and prepare for my trip to Canada.

Wher in Canada are you going?

vixmom

« Reply #262 on: April 21, 2009, 09:11:37 PM »

Well, we're schedule to perform for the Rotary Club at 7:30am... Which means I have to be there at 7:00... Thankfully, their hall is only five minutes from my apartment here in Charleston... However, I need to be up no later than 6:00am... So...

Goodnight.

Break a Leg!

Matt H.

« Reply #263 on: April 21, 2009, 09:19:54 PM »

Heading down to bed myself.

Good night!

Laura

« Reply #264 on: April 21, 2009, 09:20:09 PM »

How are you doing tonight, Vixmom?
"The last time those pirates were here, they stole our honey, and we had to eat unsweetened yogurt for a week!"
                                                                -- Tiger Lily

vixmom

« Reply #265 on: April 21, 2009, 09:24:04 PM »

Here is that picture I mentioned a while back - the Vixter with Sean Astin at ICON

vixmom

« Reply #266 on: April 21, 2009, 09:25:27 PM »

How are you doing tonight, Vixmom?

Good, except I slept so much during the day I am not sleepy now - it is 12:17 so I really should be trying to get to sleep so I don't get my days and nights mixed up again

vixmom

« Reply #267 on: April 21, 2009, 09:26:39 PM »

Shoot, that picture threw us into wide screen - I thought Photobucket did the automatic resizing thing

vixmom

« Reply #268 on: April 21, 2009, 09:30:28 PM »

She is wearing a wig and mask and costume --- it's an anime thing

Cillaliz

« Reply #269 on: April 21, 2009, 09:33:47 PM »