Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKING THINGS UP  (Read 49113 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:SHAKING THINGS UP
« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2004, 08:32:37 AM »

I guess I've done some "choreography" in my time.  Looking back, I really wouldn't call it choreography, just musical staging - moving people areound in interesting and fun ways.  As a favor I did that on the LACC production of The Apple Tree.  In the chorus was Mark Hamill.  Favorite musical number I've appeared in?  I loved doing Rosemary from How To Succeed, and I loved doing Once in a Lifetime from Stop the World.

The darling daughter is thirty-four.  Which is funny since the darling father is only thirty-nine.

What is your favorite...
Color  Beige or Gray
Sport  None
Song  Too many, but let's just say Love, Look Away or Here's That Rainy Day
Month  December
Day of the Week  Friday
Musical  Gypsy
Clothing Item  t-shirt
Location  LA and NY
Movie  Changes hourly
Food  Good pasta
Drink  Diet Coke
Thing that Relaxes You  Having my feet rubbed and the inside of my arm lightly scratched.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2004, 08:40:58 AM »

This is highly unseemly, but I am going to share it with all of you anyway.  A friend sent me this article from The Boston Globe.  It's exceedingly disturbing.  BK, note the comments near the bottom made by Mikis Theodorakis!

http://www.boston.com/news/globe/editorial_opinion/oped/articles/2004/03/14/the_cancer_of_anti_semitism_in_europe/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 08:41:32 AM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2004, 08:41:36 AM »

Oh, and shure and begorrah, a Happy Saint Patty's day to you all.  Wear green or I shall pinch the very life out of you.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2004, 08:44:30 AM »

I can't say anything too negative about journeyman director Don Weis. He did helm perhaps my favorite "little" MGM musical: I LOVE MELVIN. However, his lackadaisical style was just right for the TV sitcoms and drama episodes he directed for many, many years.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2004, 08:46:30 AM »

And, isn't today the day on which we collectively watch THE QUIET MAN?
Although with Ms. O'Hara's recent memoirs, and their remarkable quips, it's still hard to me to get the image of John Ford KISSING  :-* another man out of my mind!

Faith and Begorrah!  
Or Beef and Angora!  
Or Tora!  Tora!  Tora! (Isn't that an Irish lullaby?)

I've already watched The Quiet Man for this St. Paddy's Day.  Twice, on DVD and on broadcast TV (with commercials) on Sunday night.  I love this movie.  It's among my top ten, possibly top five.  I find that it works on so many levels that it's astounding.  

I just may be givin' this moving picture another look-see tonight as I wet me parched throat with a wee bit of the whisky.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2004, 08:50:19 AM »

Yes, feeling much better thanks, MBARNUM!  8)

Tonight will be our first "audience" such as it will be, so hopefully they will be Loving Lucy.  I will let you know.  ;D

Anyone coming to Indianapolis between now and April 11 - please come to see my show.  And if you are coming to Indianapolis between now and April 11 I have only one question:  WHY?  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2004, 08:50:23 AM »

The darling daughter is thirty-four.  

:o I thought that you are about thirty-five!  :o  Either you had her very young or you simply look significantly younger than you are.

Well, while it is Ask BK Day, I must know: How can you not like eggplant?!  It's my favorite vegetable!  ::Hugs pet eggplant to protect it from BK, the evil eggplantophobe::

What is your favorite...
Color:    Pink.  It never fails to make me smile.
Sport:    "Sports and drama are like plaids and stripes.  They just don't mix."
Song:    "Finishing The Hat"
Month:    July
Day of the Week:  Friday
Musical:  "Merrily We Roll Along"
Clothing Item:  Oh no!  I love all my babies (I mean...clothes!) so much!  How can I choose?  I guess that I'll have to go with pearls, my gorgeous plaid H&M coat, my little 1950s cardigan sweater, my polka-dot purse, and my t-strap shoes.  As anyone who has met me can verify, I wear these items as often as possible.
Location:    Backstage of the school that I will hopefully be transferring to's auditorium.
Movie: "The Cradle Will Rock", "All That Jazz", "Camp", "Rushmore"...and so many others.     
Food:  EGGPLANT!
Drink:     Raspberry iced tea.
Thing that Relaxes You:  Showtunes.

I've choreographed numerous times, but no one involved enjoys themselves when I do so.  I over-compensate for my complete lack of coordination by demanding perfection from everyone else.  It's cruel.  That being said, I think that my choreography is damn good!  I absolutely love dance...it's just a shame that I'm so bad at it!  (Remember, the anagram for my name is "Oy!  Non-nimble Jew!")
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2004, 08:56:09 AM »

What is your favorite...
Color -- Today, it be green.  Otherwise, it's blue.
Sport -- Baseball
Song -- "Someone To Watch Over Me"
Month -- October
Day of the Week -- Friday
Musical -- A Little Night Music
Clothing Item -- Jockstrap  A snazzy tie
Location -- Rhinebeck, NY (Anyone familiar with The Omega Institute?)
Movie -- Today, The Quiet Man, otherwise Lawrence of Arabia
Food -- Pizza (and my favorite pizzaria burnt down to the ground the other day!)
Drink -- Bass Ale on tap
Thing that Relaxes You -- a massage

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2004, 08:56:21 AM »

I had my daughter when I was four.  I was very precocious.

Maybe I just haven't had good eggplant.  Plus, I keep looking for the fershluganah egg and it's never there - I only see the plant.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2004, 09:00:55 AM »

Good Morning!  Again!

Well, since it's Ask DR Day in addition to Ask BK Day, and since some DR asked this DR yesterday, here's my review and opinions of Wonderful Town.

In short, I thoroughly enjoyed Wonderful Town.  It was so nice to sit in an audience and find myself genuinely smiling, and, more importantly, to find myself actually caring about the characters on stage.

As a musician, I got a huge thrill when the curtain went up to reveal that 23 (24?) piece orchestra up on stage being conducted by the impossibly young Rob Berman (a fellow alumnus from the Kennedy Center's Sondheim Celebration).  And I, too, have to give major credit and "props" to the sound department for their work throughout the evening.  I saw the microphones on both the music stands and the actors, but at no time was it ever distracting or out of balance.  And when it came time for the orchestra to "play out", they most certainly did!  *And having an eighth row orchestra seat probably didn't hurt either.  ;)

Donna Murphy was a wonder to behold.  I know and I've read about all the prep and background work she does for a role - and all the continual analyzing and tweaking she does too - and yet her performance never at once seemed studied.  It was very genuine and spontaneous.  I've seen her in her other Tony-nommed and winning roles (Passion and The King & I), and I have to say that she may be adding another Tony to her mantle.

*I've seen all but one of the possible lead actress in a musical nominees this season (Kerry Butler in Little Shop - which I hoped to squeeze into last week, but wasn't able to - is my "exception"), and even though I liked both Idina Menzel and Kristin Chenoweth in Wicked, Donna Murphy's Ruth is the total package - and has the advantage of being written and presented better in her show - imho.  I saw Caroline, or Change too at the Public, and, frankly, I found the whole piece - as well as Tonya Pinkins peformance - more interesting than entertaining, or even moving.  We shall see... But I digress...

I also loved how Ms. Murphy - and her director and musical director/supervisor - made the role her own vocally.  I loved those moments where she was able to show off her range both "sound wise" and "note wise".  *And it was also a nice to hear her singing on pitch too.  I don't mean that as a dig, but it's more or less public knowledge - and something she herself has acknowledged in the past - that she can be pitchy at times.

Jennifer Westfeldt as Eileen found the perfect way to play ditzy vs. dumb.  Her sense of naivete was dead on, and she didn't allow Eileen to become the stereotypical "dumb blond" - which is a trap that role can easily fall into.  And they way her various suitors reacted to her was also very endearing.

As for Gregg Edelmann, this is the first role I've seen him in where I thought he was a perfect fit.  He's a nice guy, and he played a niced guy perfectly.  And he actually sang all the correct notes in the "What A Waste" verse - which is VERY tricky and chromatic.

I loved the ensemble, and it was very nice to see my friend, Mark Price (who was the Toby in the KenCen Sweeney) on stage dancing again - what a dancer he is!  -And his turn as the writer/Truman Capote-ish character during the "Christopher Street" sequence reminded me of some of his "Liza" moves.  ;)

The whole expanded concert version of the show did not bother me at all.  Rather, I found myself wondering just how "big" some of the numbers would have gotten if they had a full stage depth to take advantage of.  And it also took me a while to realize that Donna Murphy's "squint" was a character choice, and not caused by something in her eye.  :P

All in all, a very enjoyable evening.  And my immediate audience "family" was also very well-behaved and quiet.  Unlike my previous night at Carnegie Hall or my next night at Gypsy...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2004, 09:01:43 AM »

::Hugs pet eggplant to protect it from BK, the evil eggplantophobe::

Let's make it "aubergineophobe". - sounds even nastier!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2004, 09:02:10 AM »

What is my favorite...
Color - right now, GREEN
Sport -  :P
Song - "Someone In a Tree"
Month - May (my birth month ::) )
Day of the Week - Sunday...the only day I get to sleep in in the morning
Musical - Sunday In the Park With George
Clothing Item - my green Hawaiian shirt that I'm wearing right now
Location - home
Movie - "1776"
Food - pepperoni, pineapple, cashew pizza!
Drink - Diet Pepsi (sorry, BK...Diet Coke is 2nd, though)
Thing that Relaxes You - playing piano (although I haven't had access to my piano for about 6 years), listening to CDs, sleeping

In honor of St. Patrick's Day today, I'm bringing these CDs to work to listen to:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 09:06:28 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2004, 09:02:49 AM »

AND BK's very own:
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2004, 09:08:33 AM »

I loved the ensemble, and it was very nice to see my friend, Mark Price (who was the Toby in the KenCen Sweeney) on stage dancing again - what a dancer he is!  -And his turn as the writer/Truman Capote-ish character during the "Christopher Street" sequence reminded me of some of his "Liza" moves.  ;)

At the end of "Christopher Street". I whispered to Woody "That's the first time I ever saw a single chorus member steal an entire number!".

der Brucer (who might have said "upstage" rather than "steal")

DERBRUCER

« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2004, 09:16:31 AM »

Oh the joy of Headlines!

Following are from FoxLite:

Canada could soon have tropical weather, sunny beaches and palm trees.

American Forced to Watch Sex Videos in China

Woman Flips Off Sheriff, Ends Up in Jail

Julia Roberts Is Old Lady With Crack

The same article reposts on a gal who gave birth to two sets of twins which she has named:

Jacob, Jacoby, Jason and Justin.

Imagine her calling them in from play and not getting her tongue in a twist!

der Brucer (who always thought the Canadians were closet imperialists)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2004, 09:19:29 AM »

Oh my - I saw a headline yesterday:

Blue Ball Grange Members Meet
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

MBarnum

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2004, 09:31:13 AM »

Favorite Irish movie is THE THREE LIVES OF THOMOSINA...or anything with Maureen O'Hara, the loveliest Irish actress around! Just seeing her face and hearing her voice makes me smile!

MBarnum

« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2004, 09:32:28 AM »

Oh my - I saw a headline yesterday:

Blue Ball Grange Members Meet

Hmmm...a rather frustrated get together to be sure!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #48 on: March 17, 2004, 09:39:56 AM »

The plans have been delayed, and then delayed more, and then delayed yet again, so I am sitting here like so much fish, making myself look presentable.

I suppose I'll answer my own questions:

Color -- teal and pink, but not mixed.
Sport -- FOOTBALL! I love everything tbaout it.
Song -- "Drops of Jupiter" -Train
Month -- July
Day of the Week -- Thursday
Musical -- Live- South Pacific. Movie- My Fair Lady
Clothing Item -- This is a hard one! I'd have to say my black jeans, because they make my rear end look wonderful.
Location -- The Black Box (aka the drama room)
Movie -- Empire Records
Food -- Mashed Potatoes with cheese melted onto them.
Drink -- Diet Cherry Coke
Thing that Relaxes You -- Playing the piano...ac tually, its about the ONLY thing that relaxes me. I taught myself Fur Elise last Sunday after work, because I was soooooo stressed that I had to just play.

To any technology geeks out there, my iPod is broken. I was listening to it, and had it on Hold so I could put it in my pocket, and now Hold won't turn off. I can't listen to music because none of the buttons are working. Any suggestions? I'm dying!

Favorite Irish Song: When Irish Eyes are Smiling...corny, but true. It's been stuck in my head all week.
...Walk in the sunshine...

DERBRUCER

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2004, 09:50:08 AM »

Speaking of FINIAN'S RAINBOW, I'd sure love to see Warners bring that out sometime soon on DVD.

In today's world of PC run amok do you think we're ready for:

"...an unbelievably offensive parody of a black butler shuffling and mumbling, "Yahsuhh, Massa, I's a comin' wit' yo' joolep awl minty 'n' awl. . ."

In the most astounding display of racism, the Senator's assistant mentions that Howard doesn't do what he "should":

"You don't walk like you're supposed to, and you don't talk like you're supposed to. Are you educated or somethin'?"
"I'm working on my Master's!"
"Your master's what?"

(above extracted from Culture Dose Reviews)

der Brucer (reasonably sure that black-face will fly no more)

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2004, 09:51:28 AM »

BK, I also watched THE AFFAIRS OF DOBIE GILLIS...ZZZZZZ!

MattH, I agree with your assessment of last night's American Idol.  I never thought Camille or Leah should have been there in the first place...and have found the judges surprisingly kind to them.  Matt has yet to reveal the power his voice in that brief clip we saw of him singing opera once.  John, the red-head, though, I desperately want to root for this kid, really hasn't come on with any stage presence and Randy was right when he said he's no Sinatra.  I keep hoping he'll come out of his shell and wow me.  Simon was uncharacteristically kind and supportive of him last night and I kind of like him for that, but watching John standing with the rest of those kids at the finale last night, he just so looked out of place.  I 'd loved for him to surprise me, but he's had so many chances now...I just don't think he will.  

COLOUR...I like autumn colours, particularly ORANGE

SPORT...I love to watch baseball; I love to roller skate (which probably isn't a sport)

SONG...Night & Day; Ballad of the Sad Young Men; In The Heart of the Dark...at this moment

MONTH...while I'm partial to my birth month, January...I think I truly like October and April most, when the seasons change.

DAY...FRIDAY, there is still optimism about the coming weekend.

CLOTHING...I'm going to be very specific here.  I have two shirts, one yellow, one organge, that I bought from ACA JOE's (now no longer in the Glendale Galleria) made of a nice, soft but sturdy canvasy material that have two pockets.  I love these shirts because not only are they comfortable and the collars and cuffs stay crisp, but they are great for travelling, particularly on long flights.  My wallet can fit in the pockets (which button) as well as the plane tickets.   Alas, these shirts are now falling apart, seams and little holes have been mended and stitched so many times, but they have now been reduced to knock-around shirts.  But I love them so much that I'm thinking of have them duplicated by a shirt-maker.

LOCATION...for city, London.  For anywhere, an old bookstore or the backstage of a theatre.

MOVIE...Adventures of Robin Hood, with Errol Flynn

FOOD...Pasta.  A chocolate eclair.

DRINK...Champagne or a good Syrah (or Shiraz, if one prefers)

THING THAT RELAXES ME...sitting on my back balcony with a good wine, playing great music, watching the sun set on the Hollywood Sign.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: March 17, 2004, 09:55:52 AM »

DR George: Did you say pepperoni, pineapple and cashew pizza? :)

Um, I didn't even know that cashews were a pizza topping!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #52 on: March 17, 2004, 09:57:54 AM »

In today's world of PC run amok do you think we're ready for:

"...an unbelievably offensive parody of a black butler shuffling and mumbling, "Yahsuhh, Massa, I's a comin' wit' yo' joolep awl minty 'n' awl. . ."

In the most astounding display of racism, the Senator's assistant mentions that Howard doesn't do what he "should":

"You don't walk like you're supposed to, and you don't talk like you're supposed to. Are you educated or somethin'?"
"I'm working on my Master's!"
"Your master's what?"

(above extracted from Culture Dose Reviews)

der Brucer (reasonably sure that black-face will fly no more)

In point of fact, the entire raison d'etre for that scene...and for the white senator turning into a black man (via blackface) is to ridicule racism and to show the senator how ignorant he was.

The show was well ahead of its time.  Perhaps we're still too mired in the ultra-touchy-feely-PC-warp that plagued the 1990s...but we got the movie on LD and VHS and there's no reason not to believe it won't be on DVD before too very long.

"Song of the South," too, with any great luck and return to reason.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #53 on: March 17, 2004, 10:06:02 AM »

JRand --- If it's a pay what you can, for a half price preview do you figure out what you can pay and then only pay half of it?

Regarding FINIAN'S RAINBOW - It's being done off Broadway next month at Irish Rep with Melissa Errico as Sharon, Max Von Essen as Woody, Malcolm Gets as Og and Jonathan Freeman as Finian.

From today's Post:  
Cinemax will air a documentary investigating whether Adolf Hitler was gay.!

And from today's Daily New:
Mel Gibson's next film is the story of Hanukah.

For ask BK day:
When a film is fully restored for DVD, why is it that in most cases the "Making of" and other extras use clips from before the restoration that don't look nearly as good as the film.  I'm talking about new things made for the DVD, not something that was made when the film was initially released.  I can understand them not restoring the trailer, but you would think the restored clips could easily be used in the documentaries.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #54 on: March 17, 2004, 10:27:03 AM »

Sport -- Baseball

Do you remember:

Good Old Shibe Park - take the Broad Street Subway to the North Philadelphia station and walk down Lehigh Aveneue hill to 21st Street.

The Philadelphia Phillies still had Blue Jays on their uniforms.

Remember when Eddie Waitkus got shot by that broad in a Chicago hotel room - almost kept him off the Whiz Kid's Team of 1950.

der Brucer - (I might be in that picture somwhere :-*; and get a load of the cars!)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #55 on: March 17, 2004, 10:27:36 AM »

As I was saying...

I somehow managed to snag a first row mezzanine seat for Saturday night's performance of Gypsy.  Well, when the man at the box office told me the best available seat he had was the first row of the mezzanine and that my discount voucher could be applied, I took that as a sign that I should finally see the show.  -If only less than ideal seats were available, I was going to pass.  *Apparently, the Playbill.com voucher is the only one that is valid for Saturday nights, and I just had to wonder if it was simply a matter of an oversight since all the other ones I checked out had a strict "not valid for Saturday eves" clause.  But on with the show...

I knew I was going to be in for an interesting evening when the overture started and the house lights came down to half, and there were about six seats behind me still empty, and the immediate seat to my left was still empty.  Of course, they all came in just as the overture was ending.  And the people in the row behind me proceeded to "discuss" which order they wanted to sit while they kicked the back of my seat and dragged their coats along the back of my head.  But on with the show...

The last time I was in the Shubert Theatre was when I saw big - and I was also in the front row of the mezzanine for that one too - although smack dab in the center rather than four seats of the aisle.  What a difference some scenery makes!  ;)  The minimalist approach to the set design worked well for me, and the general spareness helped to point up the more elaborate moments in the second act strip sequences.  And the whole show-within-a-show conceit basically worked for me, but the title cards on the side really only worked when I remembered that they were there to look at.

Well, as the opening scene started, the girl to the left of me proceeded to point out her friend who was in the show and on stage to her mother who was sitting next to her and to her brother who was sitting next to their mother.  From left to right: Me, Daughter, Mother, Son, (Aisle).  Well, the mother pointed him out too.  Of course, they weren't just pointing them out with their fingers, but they were pointing them out with their voices too.  And at this time, the lady to the left of me couldn't decided whether she wanted to sit back in her seat or sit up and put her hand on the railing.  Well, she sat back... then when when Ms. Peters made her entrance, she decided to sit up and forward again.  At least when she sat forward, I couldn't hear her audible breathing.  Ah, well...  But on with the show...

Ms. Peters was good, and she was in good voice when I saw her Saturday night.  There was a little bit of a rasp in her voice, but I think that's just her voice right now.  She had her moments.  Unfortunately, for me, and at least on that night, you can't play Mama Rose in moments.  I wasn't disappointed with her performance, but I just wished for a better sense of consistency throughout the evening.  I also felt that she tended to "love" certain notes more than others to the point where certain words and/or musical phrases would get highlighted when they shouldn't have been.

So, the girl beside me decided to dig out some more gum from the jacket which she was sitting on.  Well, she had a fresh pack.  fidget, rip, rip, tear, tear, fidget, chew, chew, chew  Then her mother offered her the pack of Twizzlers, which are or course wrapped in plastic/cellophane... Meanwhile, while all this was going on next to me, the lady behind me kept adjusting her coat on her lap, and consequently on the back of my head.  But on with the show...

I loved everyone else in the cast, especially John Dossett and Tammy Blanchard.  John Dossett - yet another Sondheim Celebration alum (Fredrik in Night Music) - as Herbie really stood up to Mama Rose.  I haven't seen that many productions of Gypsy, but his Herbie has to be the best one I've seen.  It's just too bad that the part was not more "singy" due to it's originator since John has a wonderful voice - I would have loved to hear more of it (again) throughout the evening.  *I also caught up with him afterwards, and he's still having a great time, and he's very glad to have his wife, Michelle Pawk, home for a while with their son.  -I had forgotten that Michelle had been working so much with Hollywood Arms and Bounce back to back and in between.  He's very happy to have her home - and she's happy to be home too.  *Oh, and John still has some of the blue-est eyes around...

Well, intermission is about to end, and the lady behind me is still not back from the bathroom.  And the family next to me has brought their drink cups back to their seats with them.  Well, in the middle of "Together, Wherever We Go", the lady behind me makes it back - of course, that means the other people at the end her row have to step out into the aisle in order for her to get in.  Oh, and that's also the point where the kids reached the bottom of their cups and started slurping their straws and stirring around their ice.  Thankfully, the mother took both cups of ice from her children and put them under her seat.  But on with the show...

Tammy Blanchard... WOW!  Again, another instance of an actress finding the perfect balance between playing "shy" and playing "in the background".  I really got a sense of Louise's growth and transformation and heartbreak and risk.  It was the first time I didn't find myself cringing during "Little Lamb" - up until now, the song just always made me cringe.  And when she starts to blossom and grow in the second act, it was a pleasure to watch.  And kind of scary too.  This was the first time where I truly noticed that it was Louise who made the initial move to strip, and Mama Rose just jumped on the band wagon.  Which made Louise's transformation all the more poignant in a sense, and Mama Rose's decline - and "Rose's Turn" - all the more sad and almost-pitiful.  -Sorry, I'm kind of at a loss for words right now...

Well, the husband of the women behind me started to cough, so she passed him some cough drops.  They were the type in those "blister" packs which are made of very crunchy plastic, and then you get that "great" pop as you push the cough drop through the foil.  After he got his cough drop, then he passed the pack back to his wife who put it back in her handbag - which was resting behind my head.  Then he asked for another one...

Then the mother decided she wanted to crunch on the ice which was still in the cups she took from her children.  And she would scoop out cubes with her hand... Ah, well...  But on with the show...

Overall, I liked this Gypsy.  I didn't love it, but I liked it a lot.  Oh, and "Gotta Get A Gimmick" was truly the highlight of the show for me - and the three strippers came across more as characters rather than caricatures.  And I'm glad I got to see this production.  -However, part of me still wants to see Ms. Peters stand-by, Maureen Moore do the role - what an amazing actress and singer!  *And with none of that "star" baggage to work through and overcome.

After the show, Ms. Peters made the curtain speech for the BC/EFA fundraising.  And as a special treat for the end of the week, they auctioned off Ms. Peters amethyst necklace that she had been wearing that night - and all week - and the lucky "winner" would also have the honor of being presented with the necklace by Ms. Peter in her dressing room after the show.  I almost bid, but as soon as the bidding broke $1,000, I had to back off.  However, I did start thinking I could give up one week of scale... Hmm... The winning bid was $1,2000, and they also had various other signed items - including "Louise's other glove" for sale afterwards.

-And while the auction was going on, John Dossett mentioned that while his wife was doing Bounce in DC, Mr. Sondheim told Ms. Pawk one night after the show that Bernadette Peters was the best Mama Rose that he had ever scene.  Hmm...  I guess they were at the Watergate Brasserie. ;)

So, beside the audience distractions, I like the show.  And, again, it was sooo nice hearing a live pit again.  No synths (even though that's how I primarily make my money).  And the trumpet player really rocked in the overture!  I'd hate to be sitting in front of him in the pit!
Make Your Own Luck.

George

« Reply #56 on: March 17, 2004, 10:29:57 AM »

DR George: Did you say pepperoni, pineapple and cashew pizza? :)

Um, I didn't even know that cashews were a pizza topping!

They are!  In Lacey, which is right next to Olympia, there is a place called Dirty Dave's Gay 90's Pizza Parlor (referring to the 1890s) and they've had cashews as a topping for forever.  I've also seen it recently in a couple of other places, but Dirty Dave's has the best pizza ever!  The only drawback to the place is that they allow smoking...and have for forever.  Ugg.  But the pizza is worth it, in my humble opinion (IMHO in Internet lingo).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #57 on: March 17, 2004, 10:31:12 AM »

Cinemax will air a documentary investigating whether Adolf Hitler was gay.!

With that hair-do -NEVER!

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #58 on: March 17, 2004, 10:32:32 AM »

Good morning/afternoon. I will be E&T for much of today as I'm taking my houseguest to the Getty and other places.
Happy St. Patrick's Day! (I didn't know it was St. Pat's Day. This site is very educational because now I do.)

I agree with Jose that my new fave Irish movie is  IN AMERICA (also THE QUIET MAN, FINIAN'S RAINBOW, RYAN'S DAUGHTER - and I have to see all of them again because I haven't seen them in forever)

COLOUR... Black, white

SPORT... I don't do sports. Sometimes I watch skating.

SONG... Hard to decide. I go through phases. Right now I like Guy Haines' version of "Old Friends" best. Certain opera and operetta melodies from my childhood (I went to the opera a lot as a kid in Budapest and listened to opera records at home later) are very evocative for me

MONTH... March

DAY... Friday

CLOTHING....  Whatever is comfortable and looks good on me. I'm not really into clothes.

LOCATION... Budapest, LA, Toronto

MOVIE... Changes all the time. Right now it's CITY LIGHTS because I just saw it for the first time and fell in love with it.

FOOD... Wiener Schnitzel - sliver thin - yum

DRINK... Water with lots of lemon - And don't be stingy, baby

THING THAT RELAXES ME... Being held by someone I love.

Later, y'all!

DERBRUCER

« Reply #59 on: March 17, 2004, 10:40:06 AM »

SPORT...I love to watch baseball; I love to roller skate (which probably isn't a sport)

::cue Organ Music::

"Now ALL SKATE"

der Brucer (remembering his nifty red skate case covered with High School and Sport Team stickers)
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 8   Go Up