Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKING THINGS UP  (Read 48214 times)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
Re:SHAKING THINGS UP
« Reply #60 on: March 17, 2004, 10:41:49 AM »

WOW!  I didn't realize that my last two posts were sooo long.  Sorry for the length if length displeases you.  -Hello, TCB?

-And that was my weekend in NYC....

In other news, I wish I had other news...  I did get a call from the theatre asking me to start up there tomorrow night instead of on Saturday, but I still have yet to pack.. or want to pack...

For some strange reason, I found myself readying a post for HHW over the past hour or so instead of packing... ???

Well, I do need to get some work done this afternoon or I'll be scrambling like crazy tonight.

OH!  Steve did send me an e-mail inviting me to dinner tonight, so...  :D

Happy St. Patrick's Day!
Make Your Own Luck.

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: March 17, 2004, 10:43:32 AM »

Um DR George, with a name like, "Dirty Dave's Gay 90's Pizza Parlor" how can I not want to try their cashew pizza? :)

Great name!

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #62 on: March 17, 2004, 10:44:32 AM »

Favorite Irish Song: The Irish Ballad – Tom Lehrer

(key verses)

One morning in a fit of pique,
Sing rickety-tickety-tin,
One morning in a fit of pique,
She drowned her father in the creek.
The water tasted bad for a week,
And we had to make do with gin, with gin,
We had to make do with gin.

Her mother she could never stand,
Her mother she cold never stand,
And so a cyanide soup she planned.
The mother died with a spoon in her hand,
And her face in a hideous grin, a grin,
Her face in a hideous grin.

She set her sister's hair on fire,
She set her sister's hair on fire,
And as the smoke and flame rose high'r,
Danced around the funeral pyre,
Playin' a violin, -olin,
Playin' a violin.

She weighted her brother down with stones,
Rickety-tickety-tin,
She weighted her brother down with stones,
And sent him off to Davy Jones.
All they ever found were some bones,
And occasional pieces of skin, of skin,
Occasional pieces of skin.

One day when she had nothing to do,
One day when she had nothing to do,
She cut her baby brother in two,
And served him up as an Irish stew,
And invited the neighbors in, -bors in,
Invited the neighbors in.

key verses perhaps, but I just had to add the final two...they're too funny.

And when at last the police came by
Sing rickety-tickety-tin
And when at last the police came by
her little pranks she did not deny
To do so she would have had to lie
And lying she knew was a sin, a sin
lying she knew was a sin

My tragic tale I won't prolong
Sing rickety-tickety-tin
My tragic tale I won't prolong
And if you did not enjoy my song
you've yourselves to blame if it's too long
You should never have let me begin, begin
You should never have let me begin

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #63 on: March 17, 2004, 10:48:39 AM »

Drink       COFFEE, MARTINI

I thought of you when window shopping in Rehoboth:

It's a lamp shade which says:

One Martini
Two Martini
Three Martini
Floor!
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #64 on: March 17, 2004, 10:50:09 AM »

I just got a call from the L.A. Times telling me that the letter to the editor I sent the other evening is "under consideration" for publication in Saturday's paper, where they have have an expanded letters section.  We'll see....
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #65 on: March 17, 2004, 10:51:15 AM »

OH!  Steve did send me an e-mail inviting me to dinner tonight, so...  :D

Don't forget to wear your fetching green thong 8)

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #66 on: March 17, 2004, 10:54:07 AM »

OH - Before I go for the afternoon - yeah, right...

A few random thoughts on American Idol...

I liked La Toya, but her calm, collective persona could work against her in this competition.  It could be the difference between coming off as confident vs. cocky.  Also, her vocals - while she also started off a little shaky too last night - are almost a little too good, too clean.  I think she'd make a great studio singer - and could make a great living at it, but her onstage presence needs more presence.

As for Matt Rogers, his whole persona is coming off as an act to me.  Just too cool.  Too slick.  And, actually, in a sense too masculine.  ???  He just hasn't really showed off his real voice - which I have a feeling may end up not being pop enough for this competition.  Big and full, but not ideally "pop".  -Although, I don't think he'll ever live down that bubble-bath shot.  However, his look is improving, and he really does carry his weight very well.  *Apparently, one of the "bars" here in Richmond had an AI night last night, and everyone voted for him afterwards.   ;D

OK - that's all... for now...
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #67 on: March 17, 2004, 10:57:22 AM »

For those of you enamoured by in love with fascinated by curious about willing to endure Kimmelabilia:

Here with the Original CD Cover for das Cookin' der Bull

der devoted-collecter Brucer

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 17, 2004, 11:00:52 AM »

WEL: The retrospective documentaries on DVDs are usually prepared months in advance, while the restored image might not be ready until just before the assembly of all the elements.  

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #69 on: March 17, 2004, 11:01:21 AM »

Well there goes my brother the muckraker.  Letters to the editor, indeed.

Yes, folks, my name is Mrs. Norman Ma.......
No, my name is Stuart and I am Jay's brother.

I was a fairly regular poster to HHW about 2 years ago, as my brother informed you.  Then I moved from NYC (city of our births) to Rochester (aka "The Land of the In-Laws"), and was looking for work, and knowing how addictive this board can be, I felt I had to swear off.

In fact, I was a winner of one of the old Tuesday quizzes.  Are those still around?  I believe my winning answer was Scott Jacoby (which is ironic, as I am listening to GOLDEN RAINBOW right now, as we speak.  Or write.  Or, more accurately, type.  Truth be told,   what we do now is called "keyboarding," I believe).  I don't recall the question.  It obviously had something to do with poor child actors who starred with Steve and Eydie in so-so Broadway musicals.  Alas......

And yes, there is room for brothers on the board.  

And no, we do not sing selections from any of the following:

SIDE SHOW
MINNIE'S BOYS
HOLIDAY INN
or even select selections from INTO THE WOODS.

I've come back, at last.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: March 17, 2004, 11:04:05 AM »

Welcome back, Stuart!  

Brothers, brothers,
There were never such devoted brothers

td

• td
« Reply #71 on: March 17, 2004, 11:05:41 AM »

WOW!  I didn't realize that my last two posts were sooo long.  Sorry for the length if length displeases you.  -Hello, TCB?

Happy St. Patrick's Day!

Hmmmm. . .the length has never displeased me.  ;)

MDS inquired:
What are your favorite Irish songs?
What are your favorite movies about Gold?
What are your favorite movies about Rainbows?
What are your favoirite movies about Leprechauns?
"Galway Bay," "I'll take you home again, Kathleen," "Come On Eileen,"  "Darlin' Eileen"  "How are Things in Glocca Morra?" and most of U2's songs.

GOLDFINGER, of course.

THE WIZARD OF OZ, of course.

DARBY O'GILL AND THE LITTLE PEOPLE, naturally.

And then, my darlin' Swishy asked:
Let's do a favorites list!

What is your favorite...
Color
Sport
Song
Month
Day of the Week
Musical
Clothing Item
Food
Drink
Thing that Relaxes You

Purple
Contact
"Disneyland"
August
Wednesday
SWEENEY TODD
Arrow Collar Dress Shirt
Sri Lanka
LAWRENCE OF ARABIA
Godfather Pizza
Absolut on the rocks
Computer games such as PILE-UP.

And marvelous MattH declared:
Speaking of FINIAN'S RAINBOW, I'd sure love to see Warners bring that out sometime soon on DVD. The Don Francks/Petula Clark duet to "Ole Devil Moon" has to rate as one of the sexiest musical numbers ever filmed.

It is due out this year from Warner; it being one of the Voter's Choice titles of the AOL/Warner poll of last year.  Each of their listed movies were supposed to be released following the first flow of titles, which included THE DAYS OF WINE AND ROSES.

If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Maya

• I've always wanted to see the lights of Broadway..
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #72 on: March 17, 2004, 11:08:04 AM »

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY TO YE ALL!

WELCOME BACK TO MY LIL SISTERS SWISHY AND LAURA II!!  :-* :-*

I just got "Kritzertime" in the mail!  The Harvey Schmidt cover art is absolutely gorgeous, and I shall definitely be reading it soon.  I'm also reading "Lolita" and "Tropic of Capricorn" right now, so it may take me a while (as happens when I read more than one book at any one time), but I know I'll adore it!

Jose--Great reviews!  I particularly agreed with your thoughts on Mmes. Murphy and Peters.

Today I will be speaking to my school's principal about transferring schools.  That is my plan for the day.  Hoopla and whoop-de-doo.

That's wonderful, sweetie!  I know it's just what you want.  (BTW...send me your address and I shall see what I can do about sending you the first 2 Kritzer books  ;D)

Color -- Black
Sport -- Figure Skating
Song -- "Some People"
Month -- December
Day of the Week --Saturday
Musical -- "Follies"
Clothing Item -- my new flared low-rise jeans...they make my legs look longer than they really are.  And I wear my Sondheim Celebration shirt a lot.
Location -- within any theatre on Broadway
Movie -- I need to list a few here--"Amélie," "Singin' in the Rain," "Salome's Last Dance," "Camp," "Waiting for Guffman," "Smiles of a Summer Night"
Food -- cheese enchiladas
Drink -- Yoohoo
Thing that Relaxes You -- reading

Finally, my question for DRs and BK (in honor of the day)--What is your favorite George M. Cohan song?  

Mine is "45 Minutes from Broadway," I think.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 11:09:12 AM by Maya »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #73 on: March 17, 2004, 11:08:13 AM »

DR STUART welcome back.  I love the overture to Golden Rainbow and used it for my big Vegas dance number in "Vampire Lesbians of Sodom"!

DR WEL - Tonight Wednesday is Pay What You Can Night.  Tomorrow Thursday is 1/2 Price Preview.  So if you come tonight you can pay what you can - but if you come tomorrow night it will be 1/2 the regular ticket price.  Today is Wednesday tomorrow is Thursday...and everyday that I don't have to work in the box office is a GOOD day!

DRJOSE thanks for the GYPSY review!  I am always entranced by on the spot reporting!  And of course we can all feel as though we were at WONDERFUL TOWN today as well....although another DR already took us there!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #74 on: March 17, 2004, 11:09:54 AM »

DR td - I have also read the Christopher Jones interview in Movieline...  Was he not married to Susan Cabot at one time?

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #75 on: March 17, 2004, 11:13:38 AM »

What are your favorite Irish songs?

MOLLY MALONE is al I can think of right now.

MBarnum

« Reply #76 on: March 17, 2004, 11:13:59 AM »

I thought of you when window shopping in Rehoboth:

It's a lamp shade which says:

One Martini
Two Martini
Three Martini
Floor!

LOL! I love that! Bye the way, the floor usually hits me on the 2nd martini.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #77 on: March 17, 2004, 11:14:32 AM »

Welcome back, Stuart!  

Brothers, brothers,
There were never such devoted brothers

Yes, welcome

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #78 on: March 17, 2004, 11:15:08 AM »

Do you remember:

Good Old Shibe Park - take the Broad Street Subway to the North Philadelphia station and walk down Lehigh Aveneue hill to 21st Street.

Yep, except for me it was Connie Mack Stadium.  

I remember that there was a riot that took place at the closing game of the park when the crowd tore the place apart for souvenirs.  Then there was a fire that pretty much ruined the structure.  It took the city almost five years to demolish what was left.  Very sad end for a great ballpark.  But then, that's Philly for youse.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Emily

« Reply #79 on: March 17, 2004, 11:15:20 AM »

Good afternoon all!

My "Favorites" List:

Color: Blue and really wonderful dark cherry reds
Sport: Hockey and tennis (to watch) badminton and tennis (to play)
Song: Too many to chose from!  Plus my favorites change constantly
Month: May
Day of the Week: Thursday... not quite the weekend but with all of the anticipation
Musical:   Ragtime and *ducks* The Last Five Years
Clothing Item: My wondeful flippy a-line jean skirt I bought for $12 at Jacob three summers ago and wear just about every second day from May-September  
Location: My basement bedroom (aka my "Cave") at night when I can read in a circle of light on my couch while surrounded by complete darkness
Movie: Empire of the Sun, Sabrina
Food: Moules in any shape or form, tofu in black bean sauce, my sister's homemade chicken tacos
Drink: Rye and Ginger Ale (Alcoholic) Diet Dr. Pepper (Non-Alcoholic)
Thing that Relaxes You:  Baths and watching really cheesy, sappy romantic made-for-tv movies (extra points if they're Canadian and have at least one scene of people frolicking in the snow or at someone's country place)

I watched American Idol last night and I think I'm going to have to disagree with most of you on the question of John Peter Lewis.  I really dislike how he blurs together all of the words of the songs that he sings to the point where they become unintelligible.   Plus the "dancing" (if you can actually call it that) makes him look ridiculous and not the charming boy-next-door at all (which I think is what he is trying to go for as an overall "look").  

I really really like the last girl who sang (Diana?  is that it?)  and the Gospel-y guy who sang "Sitting on the Dock of the Bay" if only he would stand still every once in a while.

The red haired guy, no matter how adorable and uniquely talented he is, will definitely not last very long if he keeps up with bad song selections like that he sang last night.   Ergh.  Yawn.

I missed the first part of the show though and didn't get to see Latoya whom many people are calling the favorite to win-it-all. Grr...

I'll be watching tonight for sure! :)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #80 on: March 17, 2004, 11:16:18 AM »

I think I'll have to sit down and listen to A Man of No Importance tonight...
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

td

• td
« Reply #81 on: March 17, 2004, 11:19:56 AM »

DR td - I have also read the Christopher Jones interview in Movieline...  Was he not married to Susan Cabot at one time?

Well, the sometimes fallable Inernet Movie Database give this bio:
Christopher Jones was a brief cult star of the late 60s counterculture era and a would-be successor to James Dean, had he wanted it. Born amid impoverished surroundings to a grocery clerk in Jackson, Tennessee in 1941, his artist mother had to be institutionalized when Chris was 4. She died in a mental facility in 1960 and this was always to haunt him. Shifted back and forth between homes and orphanages, Chris joined the services as a young adult but went AWOL two days later. After serving out his time, he moved to New York and studied painting, meeting a motley crew of actors and artists. Friends were startled by his uncanny resemblance to James Dean - his brooding good looks and troubled nature were absolutely eerie. Encouraged to try out for the Actor's Studio, he was accepted and eventually won a role on Broadway in "The Night of the Iguana" in 1961. He ended up marrying acting coach Lee Strasberg's daughter, Susan, in 1965 but his erratic behavior sent her packing within three years. Chris' undeniable charisma led him to Hollywood for a role in Chubasco (1968) with wife Susan, and then cult stardom in Wild in the Streets (1968) as a rock star who becomes president. This popular satire, in turn, led to international projects such as Looking Glass War, The (1969) and Ryan's Daughter (1970). But the trappings of success got to him. Numerous entanglements with the Hollywood "in crowd" took its toll, including those with Pamela Courson (Jim Morrison's girlfriend at the time), Sharon Tate, co-star Pia Degermark and Olivia Hussey (who rushed into a marriage with Dean Paul Martin shortly after Chris turned his back on marriage). The work load left him emotionally spent and Tate's brutal murder left him devastated. He split the scene and ended up caught in the drug culture of the Sunset Strip. Little was heard of Chris until decades later when Quentin Tarantino offered him a part in Pulp Fiction (1994). The reclusive, eccentric Jones refused the role, but this was not the case with a lower profile role in Mad Dog Time (1996) a couple of years later. Whether this is a comeback or not has yet to be determined.

Many mentions, but not of Susan.  Wasn't he just her sugar baby?
BTW, you DO remember the anecdote told by both Sarah Miles and David Lean regarding the love scene in RYAN'S DAUGHTER, don't you?

William E. Lurie

« Reply #82 on: March 17, 2004, 11:21:35 AM »

I don't think anyone has mentioned the passing of Geneviève.  In 1960 I was an "apprentice" at Melody Top, a summer tent theatre-in-the-round outside Chicago and therefore met and worked with Geneviève who starred in SILK STOCKINGS.  She was a very nice lady who was one of only two stars that season (Julie Wilson was the other) who gave a big party for the entire company and spent as much time with us lowly people as with the bigwigs.  Her accent off-stage was much less thick than on and she was a delight.  Since she was playing a Russian, they added dialogue in her first scene: "I seem to denote a bit of a French acent.  Are you sure you are Russian?" to which she replied "Oui!".  The show also featured one of those planned mistakes when her leading man "mistakenly" called her Geneviève and she glared as she corrected him: Ninotchka.  She was very good in the role and interpolated "I Love Paris" in the last scene.  It's ironic that she passed away so soon after Jack Paar, the man who made her a star.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Stuart

• No one is alone.....
« Reply #83 on: March 17, 2004, 11:23:02 AM »

Color - Blue, or Gray, which is more of a shade.
Sport - Next question (but volleyball and swimming might be appropriate answers.  And watching figure skating or diving, if spectator sports are the ones intended.)
Song - Being Alive
Month - July
Day of the Week - Saturday
Musical - Company.  Or Fiddler.  Ask me again next week and they will interchange.  OR disappear completely, replaced by others.
Clothing Item - a good pair of 501s.  And a blue blazer.
Location - NY
Movie - All about Eve.  Or Valley of the Dolls.  Depends who is asking.
Food - Chocolate covered pretzels.  Or lamb chops.
Drink - Gin and tonic.  Or Diet ...oh, who are we kidding??  Gin and tonic.
Thing that Relaxes You - Hearing a smashing overture.

Jane

« Reply #84 on: March 17, 2004, 11:25:45 AM »

td you are right, in a way QUIET MAN is about gold.  I should have remembered since we recently watched it, again.

Jenny-good vibes you change schools and it is a positive experience.

SS it’s good to have you back.  How is your mother doing?

MBarnum, yes I am wearing green.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #85 on: March 17, 2004, 11:28:45 AM »

Tell me, td....tell me the anecdote!

WEL - I remember Genevieve well from the Jack Paar show, and in fact have a 45 EP of her songs from Can-Can...delightful.  It's always so nice to hear that people you like - are people you would like!

td

• td
« Reply #86 on: March 17, 2004, 11:32:42 AM »

Tell me, td....tell me the anecdote!

No can do on such a family site. . . .

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #87 on: March 17, 2004, 11:35:54 AM »

Hmmmmmmmm I knew Christopher was married to Susan...hmmmmm...I must be mistaken about that.  

I loved Christopher in WILD IN THE STREETS!  "Fourteen or Fight!" you know!

Jennifer

« Reply #88 on: March 17, 2004, 11:43:56 AM »

Welcome to DR Stuart!

OMG, DR Maya, I just read your favorite food as cheesecake enchiladas.  Maybe DR George would like that? :)

Jane

« Reply #89 on: March 17, 2004, 11:52:46 AM »

Color-wine & burgundy shades

Sport-baseball to watch, ice skating to watch & play, tennis to play

Song-? Changes with my mood.

Month-October when the autumn leaves have peeked.

Day of the Week-Wednesday since it’s hiking day, and Sunday’s  with Keith

Musical-Fiddler on the Roof

Clothing Item-jeans, which pair depends on my mood or the top I’m wearing or what I weigh

Location-walking on Mt. Ashland

Movie-Casablanca

Food-Lindt mild chocolate

Drink-aquafina – it was Pepsi until I had to give up all soda’s

Thing that Relaxes You- Keith’s arms wrapped around me, snuggling with Bogie while he purrs, watching a sunrise or sunset, sitting and looking at the mountains.  

I’m sure joining Charles Pogue on his balcony would be very relaxing.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 8   Go Up