Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKING THINGS UP  (Read 49286 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
SHAKING THINGS UP
« on: March 17, 2004, 12:02:10 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've been shaken up by the notes, and now it's time for you to shake things up with your excellent postings.  To it, I say.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 12:01:32 AM by bk »

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
Re:SHAKING THINGS UP
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2004, 12:10:48 AM »

Well, I tried to say a polite goodnight to Tomovoz, but I was locked out - so here I am. Contrary perhaps, but unfailingly polite.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 12:13:09 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2004, 12:17:41 AM »

Still not sleepy, but goodnight whoever is here - which seems only to be bk and Tom. And as I've already said g'night to Tom, that leaves only goodnight, bk ...and Johnboy.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 12:18:32 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2004, 12:18:57 AM »

...And Ann.

Danise

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2004, 03:43:50 AM »

A very quick Top of the Morning to ya!  Gotta run--bus/work!  Just wanted to wish everyone a wonderful St. Patricks Day!  

I'll read the notes and what I missed after I signed off when I get home tonight!

Touch Magic, Pass it on!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2004, 04:07:08 AM »

All alone, all alone, here I sit, all alone on haines his way dot com, so early in the morning here, while all you Left Coast people snore.  All alone, all alone.
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Michael

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2004, 04:28:27 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2004, 04:36:44 AM »

The logo in the previous post had me thinking

What are your favorite Irish songs?
What are your favorite movies about Gold?
What are your favorite movies about Rainbows?
What are your favoirite movies about Leprechauns?

(please don't say  Leprechain, Leprechaun 2 (1994), Leprechaun 3 (1995) (V), Leprechaun 4: In Space (1996) (V)
Leprechaun in the Hood (2000) (V), Leprechaun:   Back 2
 tha Hood (2003) (V))

And has anyone anywhere ever seen the kids movie RAINOW that Bob Hoskins appeared in and directed? And if so was it any good? Do you have a copy of it?
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2004, 04:38:31 AM »

Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2004, 04:56:50 AM »

I have been shaken - not stirred.  Yes, I have.  8)

All the great notes yesterday!  The good news about the signings AND the radio shows for Kritzer Time.

And yes, you are correct, MR BK!  You worked to write the book, you worked to get the book, you worked to send the book out in a timely manner, and now we are all sitting on it like so much fish!  :P

I will begin to read it tonight after our rehearsal.   ;D
I know I won't be the second to finish - but at least I may be the second person to START!!  :D

"Loving Lucy" has a Pay What You Can audience tonight at 8 p.m.  Then there is a half price preview tomorrow night at 6:30 p.m., and then on Friday at 8 p.m.- we open!  I am very excited to get an audience in to see it!  

When you are working on a musical number as a director or performer - do you ever suggest steps or moves to the choreographer?  Or have you ever done any choreography yourself?  What is your favorite musical number that you have performed onstage or screen?  

Of course I ask, because now I have an image of you and Mr Brent Barrett doing "Pitiful Penniless Bums" and it makes me smile.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2004, 05:09:26 AM »

OK, I'll try again. I typed something only to have it lost when I clicked post.

I'm reading the book right now and loving it. I'm reading slowly (as others have said) to savor the feelings and places and events. I feel as if I'm in LA right now and loving it.

As I look at Michael Shayne's poster for Finian's Rainbow (in French), Jennifer or Emily perhaps, you could help, does La Vallee du Bonheur really translate to something resembling The Valley of Happiness or The Valley of Good Times?

Ben

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2004, 05:13:00 AM »

I am not even remotely a choreographer but one summer many, many years ago when I was doing Camelot (playing Mordred) and rehearsing Seven Deadly Virtues, which was not really choreographed anyway, at one point I knew where I was standing and jumped up backwards and landed on the throne. I danced a little bit up there while singing. The director and choreographer loved it and said to keep the bit. That was my one and only attempt at staging or suggesting a piece of staging for a musical number.

As JRand said, I won't be the second person to finish Kritzer Time, but I'll have a great time reading it.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2004, 05:53:19 AM »

My favorite movie with/about leprachauns is "Darby O'Gill and the Little People."  My favorite would have been "Finian's Rainbow" - but Tommy Steele is so plain!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

td

• td
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2004, 06:27:53 AM »

hmmm. . .The Valley of Happiness?   The Happy Valley?  interesting poster art.  Maybe Richard Valley was in the movie, too, and nobody knew!
And, isn't today the day on which we collectively watch THE QUIET MAN?
Although with Ms. O'Hara's recent memoirs, and their remarkable quips, it's still hard to me to get the image of John Ford KISSING  :-* another man out of my mind!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2004, 06:32:16 AM »

For a sweepingly romantic Irish film, David Lean's Ryan's Daughter with Sarah Miles falling first for the prim schoolteacher Robert Mitchum, and then for beautiful what-ever-happened-to Christopher Jones, all to Maurice Jarre's lush score.

When I was in high school, a bunch of us went to see a Peter Sellers movie in a local art house (before he went Hollywood) and came in on a "sneak preview" of the film of Playboy of the Western World with the divine Siobhan McKenna recreating her stage rôle.  Of course, it took half-way through the movie before I could understand a word, being as the brogue was totally authentic.  Later I taped the vinyl recording from the library.  There's a reissue I'd like to see.  That and Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?, the Broadway version;  the film soundtrack was also put on CD, as in all the dialogue.

Musicals:  A Man of No Importance.  A gem that attracted all too little attention.

And here's one more:
« Last Edit: March 17, 2004, 06:42:03 AM by William F. Orr »
--Wayland Flowers

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2004, 06:37:25 AM »

And I'd like to see a Donnybrook!, a good old-fashioned Donnybrook!,
--Wayland Flowers

td

• td
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2004, 06:50:44 AM »

For a sweepingly romantic Irish film, David Lean's Ryan's Daughter with Sarah Miles falling first for the prim schoolteacher Robert Mitchum, and then for beautiful what-ever-happened-to Christopher Jones, all to Maurice Jarre's lush score.

If you'd really like to know what ever happened to Christopher Jones, as well as his tumultuous marriage to Susan Strasberg, I have a copy of an interview he did with Pamela des Barres for MOVIELINE magazine which is quite a treat.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jennifer

« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2004, 06:52:34 AM »

Yes DR Ben, that translation sounds right to me.

Re: last night's American Idol

I think the bottom 3 have to be: Leah, Camille, and Matt.

They got the worst comments by far.

I hope it's Matt, cause I've never warmed up to him.  But I'd bet it will be Leah.  The audience has never liked her. Simon does not like her.  And his comments will carry weight.

I was in total shock at how much the judges loved Jasmine (not that I didn't think she was good, but I was just expecting them to be too pro Fantasia and LaToya).

I love John Peter Lewis.  I was surprised that Simon thinks he could win (I've never heard him say this before).

I also love red-head John Stevens.  And I'm happy that Simon likes him (that always helps).  

But I was very annoyed with Randy last night.  When Randy disliked John S, he went on and on about it, cutting off Simon's praise.  But when Simon said that he wasn't moved by Diana's performance (like he was for Jasmine's), Randy then tried to push his opinion saying Simon was wrong.  I'm sorry, but I wasn't as moved by Diana's performance.  And if Simon also feels that way ... well it is his OPINION.

I really liked Jasmine and I thought Fantasia and LaToya and Jennifer were all very good.

This is going to be a tough competition.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2004, 06:53:09 AM »

Favorite Irish Song: The Irish Ballad – Tom Lehrer

(key verses)

One morning in a fit of pique,
Sing rickety-tickety-tin,
One morning in a fit of pique,
She drowned her father in the creek.
The water tasted bad for a week,
And we had to make do with gin, with gin,
We had to make do with gin.

Her mother she could never stand,
Her mother she cold never stand,
And so a cyanide soup she planned.
The mother died with a spoon in her hand,
And her face in a hideous grin, a grin,
Her face in a hideous grin.

She set her sister's hair on fire,
She set her sister's hair on fire,
And as the smoke and flame rose high'r,
Danced around the funeral pyre,
Playin' a violin, -olin,
Playin' a violin.

She weighted her brother down with stones,
Rickety-tickety-tin,
She weighted her brother down with stones,
And sent him off to Davy Jones.
All they ever found were some bones,
And occasional pieces of skin, of skin,
Occasional pieces of skin.

One day when she had nothing to do,
One day when she had nothing to do,
She cut her baby brother in two,
And served him up as an Irish stew,
And invited the neighbors in, -bors in,
Invited the neighbors in.

Favorite movie about Gold –and the audience said: “Goldfinger!”

Favorite movie about rainbows – and the audience did not say “Field of Dreams. (Probably because it had no rainbow – but it should have had a rainbow!!!)

Favoirite movie about Leprechauns: “The Borrowers” – (Leprechauns without green makeup)

der wearing of the Orange Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2004, 07:04:12 AM »

BK: You say "I feel energized and fresh and unfettered and free..."

If that is so then you should be able to do the Dance of Seven Vials  Vales Veils with only six.

Come on big fella, show a little skin!

der Brucer

Note: We could have an accompaniment of "75 Trombones", "100 Dalmatians" watching, and plan for the "Eleven Days of Christmas".

Jenny

• May we come to trust the dreams we must fulfill.
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2004, 07:04:27 AM »

BK, you certainly shook up those notes!  In fact, they were the most fun notes I've read in a long time.  Very...noteworthy!

DerBrucer, I'm getting this feeling that you like Tom Lehrer...;)

Today I will be speaking to my school's principal about transferring schools.  That is my plan for the day.  Hoopla and whoop-de-doo.

Oh!  It's Ask BK Day!  BK, would you mind telling us how old your daughter is?  

I'm supposed to be writing a short story about the Irish famine right now, but instead I'm posting on HHW.  At least everyone's discussing things related to Ireland...someone might be convinced that I'm on task!

::Scurries off to work on her paper::
"I am always thinking of myself, and I expect everyone else to do the same.  That is what is called sympathy." -Oscar Wilde

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2004, 07:19:45 AM »

DR Jenny: You can see anyone's age (who entered it when registering) if you go to the member list page.  Bk's daughter is registered as JB.

Hope your meeting with your principal goes well.  Do let us know (and if you'd like us to know why you want to transfer).

Btw, DR Laura II, interesting story last night. I think Swishy told us part of that (btw, where is Swishy?).

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2004, 07:51:02 AM »

Hello, fellow HHWers,who (whom?) I haven't talked to in five billion years!

What a coincidence that the second I log onto HHW, Jennifer is asking where I am. I'm HERE of course!

School is taking over my life. I have zero free time now. Last night was the first night I've had to just relax in a few months. So I sat on my couch and watched Queer Eye for about 4 hours. It was heavenly.

No school today, they put a teacher work day on St. Patrick's day, but I have rehearsal at 3:45.

I haven't really said anything important yet, have I?

I'm in the mist of talking my director into taking a small group of students to NYC to see Avenue Q. I was sure that it would immediately be "NO!", but he actually seems slightly interested. There's hope yet!

Ask BK Day...I'm always so bad at this...

Let's do a favorites list!

What is your favorite...
Color
Sport
Song
Month
Day of the Week
Musical
Clothing Item
Food
Drink
Thing that Relaxes You

Tadaaaaaa. This is up for grabs with you fine folk as well.

I'm so ashamed...I haven't watched a singly episode of American Idol yet, besides the auditions. I'm just too busy! I keep updated by my family, however. And I walked by the TV yesterady as the redhead was singing, and I like his voice. He actually reminds me of Conan O'Brien, and then I started picturing Conan O'Brien singing like that, and I had to walk away because I was laughing too loud.

I'll say something with more substance later, but at the moment I'm off to the bank/post office/lunch/work/school.

:)
...Walk in the sunshine...

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2004, 07:59:46 AM »

I think with Matt coming in a close second his particular week and the fact that he was entertaining if not showing off the best aspects of his voice, I don't think he'll be cut loose tonight. I will be shocked if Leah isn't cut (the disdain for her performance seems pretty universal, and she really hasn't had a decent performance yet). SOme folks I've read liked Camile, but she was terrified about being alone on stage and the shakiness of her voice which isn't up to the standards of the other women should eliminate her either this week or next week unless she has a miraculous transformation. (Kimberly Locke had an early bad week last year and landed in the bottom 3. She later ended up finishing third.)

I really thought John Stevens, as mellow as his croon is and as cute as a button as he is, betrayed his young age last night and his unsuitability to be among this crowd of ENTERTAINERS. Yep, he's different from the rest, but different doesn't necessarily mean suitable for this competition. Simon went surprisingly easy on him last night, and I was amazed at that.

That said, I'm going to make a bold prediction and say that Amy Adams (pink hair) will be among the Bottom 3 tonight instead of Matt.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2004, 08:03:15 AM »

Speaking of FINIAN'S RAINBOW, I'd sure love to see Warners bring that out sometime soon on DVD. The Don Francks/Petula Clark duet to "Ole Devil Moon" has to rate as one of the sexiest musical numbers ever filmed.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2004, 08:07:01 AM »

I'm supposed to be writing a short story about the Irish famine right now,

The British called it "The Great Famine".
The Irish middle class called it "The Great Hunger".
The Irish peasants called it "The Great Starvation".

der Brucer (who suspects the folks of Boston and NYC call it "The Great Policeman/Fireman Recruitment")

Jennifer

« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2004, 08:14:13 AM »

DR MattH: It wouldn't surprise me if Amy (pink hair) was in the bottom 3.  I also, try to think about fanbase, and she was quite popular during her week.  I do think Matt probably has fans.  But his week was quite weak, wasn't it.

I wish that we (well you in the US) could vote people OUT instead of voting people in.  I think this would make it a lot easier.  As it is, someone like Jennifer Hudson, who is good, could be bottom 3, because she isn't as popular as Fantasia or Jasmine.

I checked out the AI message boards and Jasmine seems to be the favorite right now.

And everyone still hates Leah (although as I said, they aren't voting her out, so who knows).

Btw, the results show will be on for an hour 8:30pm - 9:30pm. And Survivor is on tonight from 8-9pm.

I think I will watch Survivor and then turn to AI at 9pm (and I'll probably check it out at the commercials).

MBarnum

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2004, 08:21:18 AM »

Happy St. Patrick's Day! Hope you all are wearing green so as not to get youself pinched!

The Beatles seem to be blaring from my co-workers cubicle so I will have to turn up my Bollywood music I guess!

What is your favorite...
Color    GREEN and YELLOW
Sport    DIVING
Song     STAND UP AND CHEER
Month    JUNE, JULY, AUGUST
Day of the Week  FRIDAY
Musical   FLOWER DRUM SONG
Clothing Item   VINTAGE HAWAIIAN SHIRTS
Location    HOME
Movie       ATTACK OF THE PUPPET PEOPLE
Food      COMFORT FOOD
Drink       COFFEE, MARTINI
Thing that Relaxes You   OLD MOVIES

Swishers...your posts are always fun. And the giant eye reminds me of an old science ficiton book I read called THE BIG EYE.

JRand, are you feeling better? And are people loving Lucy?

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2004, 08:22:04 AM »

Good Morning!

-Well, I got the call from theatre today, and they'd like me to start back up in DC tomorrow night as opposed to Saturday afternoon... And since I have yet to pack one thing up... And since I just can't seem to find the motivation to do so... And... And...  I'm thinking I may just bit the financial bullet and "stay" here the extra month while I'm up in DC...  We shall see...  *For some reason, my head just does not and can not wrap itself around the concept of a "move" even though I know it has to be done sometime in the next few weeks... Then this apartment in Chelsea for the summer gets thrown into the hopper... Ah well...

I would have to say my favorite Irish movie would be In America.  -At least it's about an Irish family.  I haven't seen Finian's Rainbow since I was 10 or 11 years old and it came on late night TV... But I do love the score, and keeping hoping that some revival will eventually make it past the out-of-town tryout stage.

For SwishySarah, here are my favorites:
Color - Blue, a nice deep, dark blue
Sport - Soccer
Song - "This Time the Dream's On Me"
Month - August
Day of the Week - Monday - since it's usually my day off.  Otherwise, I'm also partial to Thursday.
Musical - Sunday in the Park with George
Clothing Item - My black, long-sleeve, jersey polo shirt from Banana Republic - I wish I had made it back to the store to buy more of them when they went on sale/clearance - great for "pit blacks" - and so comfortable.  Otherwise, various and sundried show t-shirts.
Location - The top of the Sydney Harbor Bridge, "Yes, I climbed it!"
Movie - Cinema Paradiso
Food - Tooooo many favorites... not even going to try
Drink - Tanqueray & Tonic
Thing That Relaxes You - A hug from my nephew, John Michael
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2004, 08:29:50 AM »

I didn't answer Swishy's questions, so I will now:

Color - emerald green
Sport - figure skating
Song - "Losing My Mind"
Month - May
Day of the Week - Saturday - there seems to be more time to get things done
Musical - FOLLIES
Clothing Item - A leather biker jacket given to me by an ex-. That thing is WARM.
Location - Broadway
Movie - for pure fun, EVIL UNDER THE SUN
Food - filet mignon cooked medium rare
Drink - Long Island Iced Tea
Thing That Relaxes You - Debussy's music
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8   Go Up