Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: IF I WERE A RICH MAN  (Read 11808 times)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
Re: IF I WERE A RICH MAN
« Reply #120 on: April 29, 2009, 01:13:46 PM »

I spent the rest of the afternoon watching the bonus features. There were interviews with star Brad Dourif and each of the Fitzgerald brothers who wrote the movie.

There's an audio recording of Flannery O'Connor reading one of her short stories.

I got about halfway through a Bill Moyers program on director John Huston. I will need to finish it when I go back downstairs.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #121 on: April 29, 2009, 01:14:00 PM »

Page Five Dance!!!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #122 on: April 29, 2009, 01:15:14 PM »

That Shakespeare fella does go on and on, that's fer shure.  And when you see one of his shows, you can't spit without hitting a king or a prince.

Or a Lord.  Let me introduce myself.  I'm Lord Montague! :D

Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #123 on: April 29, 2009, 01:36:33 PM »

That Shakespeare fella does go on and on, that's fer shure.  And when you see one of his shows, you can't spit without hitting a king or a prince.

Then you've never seen The Merry Wives Of Windsor!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #124 on: April 29, 2009, 01:38:21 PM »

Oh, if any DR happens to have one of those paperback copies of the script from MAN OF LA MANCHA that you would like to donate to PCPH, it would be most appreciated.  It is from TAMS-WITMARK and I would like as many people as possible to have a book and not sides.

I have been buying a few here and there and have four, but would like six or seven more.  Check your libraries!  Thanks.

DR JRand58, check out http://www.abebooks.com! I suspect they should have quite a few.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 01:40:26 PM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Amy

« Reply #125 on: April 29, 2009, 01:44:00 PM »

ASK BK:

Question 1: Bruce, I understand your mother was quite a different person than the mother characterized in the Kritzerland books. BUT, did your mother at least love to use common sayings and adages like the character in the book did? I just thought the way you would string several sayings together was hilarious. I'm afraid I would be disappointed to find your mother didn't use sayings at all.

Question 2: What's a box-folding question? I made the mistake (about a week ago?) of asking this question on a non-ask BK day and was severely punished by...not being answered.

Matt H.

« Reply #126 on: April 29, 2009, 01:47:16 PM »

I need to start writing now, so I'm hopping off-line and then will head downstairs for more viewing.

WBBL.

Ben

« Reply #127 on: April 29, 2009, 01:47:32 PM »

I think the box folding question is one of those visual questions. You have a diagram that, when folded, will resemble a box. You have to look at the diagram and then decide which box it will look like when after it's folded.

I was HORRIFICALLY BAD at those kind of questions and I would fail miserably. I am not visually adept in that way and I have no concept of how to fold something in my mind so that it will resemble the diagram.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #128 on: April 29, 2009, 01:53:15 PM »

Listening to INSIDE DAISY CLOVER.  One of the cues has a snippet that sounds exactly like the Theme to MCHALE'S NAVY.  I kid you not.

Which cue has that snippet?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #129 on: April 29, 2009, 01:58:49 PM »

This may not be news here in this forum, but Warner Brothers Home Video is extending an olive branch to folks who bought Warner product when HD-DVD was still in the marketplace.

The company is offering to take your HD-DVDs (on WB or associated label) and trade them out for the Blu-ray versions for $4.95 per disc.

You can trade up to 25 titles (multiple-disc sets count as one title, although you pay $4.95 per disc in a set).

Details can be found at Red2Blu.com.

I mailed off 23 HD-DVD inserts today.  I should have my Blu-ray replacement titles in 4 to 6 weeks.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #130 on: April 29, 2009, 02:04:02 PM »

The World Health Organization has raised its pandemic alert for swine flu to the second highest level, meaning that it believes a global outbreak of the disease is imminent.

WHO says the phase 5 alert means there is sustained human to human spread in at least two countries. It also signals that efforts to produce a vaccine will be ramped up.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #131 on: April 29, 2009, 02:10:49 PM »

Listening to INSIDE DAISY CLOVER.  One of the cues has a snippet that sounds exactly like the Theme to MCHALE'S NAVY.  I kid you not.

I was listening from the other room, so will have to do a more thorough report later--I'm pretty sure it was an instrumental interlude between some sung stuff about a wild, wacky world.  Does that make sense?  But it may not be that tune--just what's coming to mind right now.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #132 on: April 29, 2009, 02:54:48 PM »

I was listening from the other room, so will have to do a more thorough report later--I'm pretty sure it was an instrumental interlude between some sung stuff about a wild, wacky world.  Does that make sense?  But it may not be that tune--just what's coming to mind right now.

I've listened to disc 1 many, many, MANY times, and I'm having a hard time recalling anything I've heard as bearing a similarity to the "'McHale's Navy' Theme" 

JMK

« Reply #133 on: April 29, 2009, 03:54:10 PM »

Well, listen circa 4:43 on track 21.  It's in 3/4, but it's McHale's Navy.

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #134 on: April 29, 2009, 04:04:30 PM »

Good Evening!

I had another wonderful wandering the streets of New York City.  And, yes, of course, there was some food of course.  Oh, and a haircut.  A very good haircut. -Which I didn't have to wait for: I walked into Chelsea Barber. Max was sitting in a chair.  He motioned for me to take a seat, and he started cutting. 20 minutes later, I was out of there with a fresh 'do, able to feel the spring breeze on my scalp again.  Aaaaahhhh. :)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #135 on: April 29, 2009, 04:17:32 PM »

OK... And now that I'm home, I have to take care of the unpacking and repacking of my luggage.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #136 on: April 29, 2009, 04:20:12 PM »

to feel the spring breeze on my scalp again.  Aaaaahhhh. :) 

The boy from Ipanema!    :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #137 on: April 29, 2009, 04:36:47 PM »

Well, listen circa 4:43 on track 21.  It's in 3/4, but it's McHale's Navy.

If you mean the song "The Circus is a Wacky World", the tempo is certainly in the ballpark, but the syncopation is totally different, as is the melody line.  IMO, of course.  I can understand someone being reminded of the theme to "McHale's Navy" if one remembers that one.  I found it on youtube and refreshed my memory. 

« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 04:38:24 PM by Ron Pulliam »

JMK

« Reply #138 on: April 29, 2009, 04:50:04 PM »

Oh, Ron, Ron, you splendid, stubborn, adorable fool.  It's the snippet at 4:30 (I amend it now that I have it in front of me).  I will gladly notate it for you as well as the opening phrase of McHale's Navy.  They're more or less exactly the same.

Mr. Piggy

« Reply #139 on: April 29, 2009, 04:53:12 PM »

Oink!  Swine flu? Snort, oink, oink-oink!  Snort, oink, snort-snort, oink-oink, bad rap!  Oink!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #140 on: April 29, 2009, 04:55:05 PM »

Oh, Ron, Ron, you splendid, stubborn, adorable fool.  It's the snippet at 4:30 (I amend it now that I have it in front of me).  I will gladly notate it for you as well as the opening phrase of McHale's Navy.  They're more or less exactly the same.

Wow!  You're harsh! 

JMK

« Reply #141 on: April 29, 2009, 05:00:32 PM »

I've studied at the feet of the snark-master.  :)

pigs

• Oink!
« Reply #142 on: April 29, 2009, 05:10:02 PM »

Oink!  Swine flu? Snort, oink, oink-oink!  Snort, oink, snort-snort, oink-oink, bad rap!  Oink!

Hey!!

Cillaliz

« Reply #143 on: April 29, 2009, 05:20:18 PM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO THE VIXTER~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Cillaliz

« Reply #144 on: April 29, 2009, 05:24:15 PM »

What day does the postage change ?  to 44 cents ?  Mailing all by bills in the next few days and forgot.

That reminds me, I should go buy a bunch of forever stamps. Then the increase doesn't matter

td

• td
« Reply #145 on: April 29, 2009, 05:28:39 PM »

HAPPIEST OF NATAL DAYS,  DR VIXTER!
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Michael

« Reply #146 on: April 29, 2009, 05:32:21 PM »

From Yesterday

DR TCB

So sorry to hear about your beautiful cat.

I am sure Angel is an angel
Never stop dreaming.

td

• td
« Reply #147 on: April 29, 2009, 05:32:52 PM »

I also did not think that I would like NO COUNTRY FOR OLD MEN, but, it's quickly become one of my favorite films.  One of things I admire about it is its ambiguous ending.

td

• td
« Reply #148 on: April 29, 2009, 05:35:13 PM »

I've been thinking about seeing WERE THE WORLD MINE, now that DR Elmore has strongly endorsed it, I'll definitely check it out.

FJL

« Reply #149 on: April 29, 2009, 05:43:02 PM »

He likes the free, fresh breeze on his scalp
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up