Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALLERGIC TO MY ALLERGIES  (Read 33919 times)

Tomovoz

Re:ALLERGIC TO MY ALLERGIES
« Reply #150 on: March 18, 2004, 09:51:11 PM »

Some of us are too old to modify. At least you can still do it Panni. Was the cost too high?  
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #151 on: March 18, 2004, 09:56:29 PM »

BK is always here - all-knowing, all-seeing, all-all.  Soon I will pass a milestone or perhaps a millstone or perhaps a kidney stone.  I will pass some stone that is for sure.  Perhaps I'll pass Mr. Goldstone or any old stone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: March 18, 2004, 09:57:14 PM »

I'm going to take a shower right now.  I'll put it back later, but I want to take it right now, just for my own use.  When I return I shall post until the cows come home.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #153 on: March 18, 2004, 10:03:50 PM »

Good Evening!

What a day this has been!  -Ah, a Brigadoon reference!  -How I love that show!

Well, I got my clothes all packed up... Drove up to Arlington... Moved into my apartment/housing/hotel... Went to rehearsal... Taught the kids they're parts... Drove back to Richmond...  *Then got a great hamburger from the restaurant on the corner - their kitchen is open until midnight.  Yummers!

*Oh, and my housing in Arlington is FABULOUS!  It's basically a corporate housing/hotel deal.  Security building.  Workout room.  Best of all, I have a balcony - alas, only on the third floor - and I have a washer/dryer in the apartment! Very nice!  I think I'm going to like it here.  -Ah, a Flower Drum Song reference.  -How I love that show too!

-And tomorrow I shall bring up my good pots, pans and good knives.  And my Pilates machine.  ;)

So...

As for comedy movies, most of them of have been mentioned today.  But, right now, off the top of my head:

What's Up Doc? - As much as love the scene where Eunice is being dragged out of the banquet room, I love even more - how's that for grammar, huh? - Ryan O'Neal in his white boxers.  ;D
Singing in the Rain - As BK mentioned earlier - and it is a musical comedy, so there!
South Park: Bigger, Longer, Uncut - Need I say more?
Waiting for Guffman - There's a young woman who does the "DQ" monologue at SETCs... Love it!!
In and Out - Wouldn't we all want to kiss Tom Selleck?  And/or Kevin Kline?
Some Like It Hot - Need I say more?
Monsters, Inc.
Finding Nemo
 -Hey, it's late, and I've had a long day, cut me some slack. ;)

Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #154 on: March 18, 2004, 10:04:00 PM »

While bk is showering, I shall wash my face. And Tomovoz could brush his teeth for a pre-dinner cleansing.
 What a clean bunch of hainsies and kimlets we'll all be!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 10:05:18 PM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #155 on: March 18, 2004, 10:04:36 PM »

I am sure the cows will be eager to return home knowing that you are freshly showered BK.
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #156 on: March 18, 2004, 10:06:32 PM »

No brushing of teeth for me yet Panni. Not at 5.00pm. I will go and comb my hair though. I think there is Oklahoma in there somewhere.  Many A New Day.
James Thurber 1957

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #157 on: March 18, 2004, 10:18:41 PM »

Tom of Oz, I have been stiffed by an Oz eBay seller.  Just a few bucks but if, for some reason, he's in your city (I have his contact address now) will you go pay him a leetle visit for me?  Don't you think that would just FREAK HIM OUT?

Soon I will pass a stone.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: March 18, 2004, 10:18:53 PM »

I'd walk a mile for a stone.

Panni

« Reply #159 on: March 18, 2004, 10:22:59 PM »

I knew it was 5, Tomovoz. You taught me well: same time, minus 5, but the next day. That's why I said "pre-dinner cleansing." No fool moi.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #160 on: March 18, 2004, 10:27:08 PM »

DR Danise - It sounds like your New York trip is shaping up nicely.  If I may, a word of advice from someone who's brought a few people to the Big Apple for their first trip there...

Yes, it's good to see as much of the island as you can.  Theatre District.  Chelsea.  Greenwich Village.  Lower East Side.  Central Park.  Chinatown.  Etc., etc., etc.  -Oh, and then there is Queens, Brooklyn, Harlem, etc., etc., etc.  Oh, and the Cloisters too!

BUT...  Just make sure you don't set yourself up for being tired and weary each day.  Trust me on this one.

The on-and-off sight-seeing busses are a great deal - and if the weather is nice, an even better deal.  But I'd highly suggest blocking off a good two or three or more hours to one attraction/location.  This way you can relax and take your time exploring wherever you end up.  *Actually, even if you just walk around Times Square, there are tons of things to do besides the theatres - quirky little shops, great little restaurants, great bakeries (especially over on 9th - I love Amy's Breads!), etc.  *If you can track down a copy of last month's Gourmet magazine, they had a great basic guide to each of the major neighborhoods - even pointing out some of the lesser known monuments and memorials.

-I'm always amazed at how much walking I do when I get up in The City.  Yes, I like walking, but there have been times when I've gotten back to my hotel room and wished I had some foot soak with me.

I guess my point is this: See as much as you want to see.  Just make sure you don't end up tiring yourself out during the day, thus making your evening less enjoyable.  -Or as I learned when I took one friend up to the city, don't do so much during the day that you end up falling asleep during the show you're seeing that night.  :o

As for other discount codes, there's also Playbill.com and HitShowClub.com.  Also, many of the show's own websites have specials available every now and then.

And as others have suggested, and I think I suggested the other day, if you're not in the mood for standing in line at TKTS, I'd take advantage of the discount vouchers.  With them, you can purchase the tickets in advance, and you'll have more control over the location of your seats.

Oh, and as for Rush Seats, here's the link for the primer from Playbill.com.  *Some of the Rush offers are for students only, some are for the general public.

http://www.playbill.com/celebritybuzz/article/82428.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 10:45:35 PM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Panni

« Reply #161 on: March 18, 2004, 10:27:22 PM »

I accidentally swallowed some face cleanser just now. It tastes REALLY bitter. Lesson learned: do not open mouth while washing face.

Jed

« Reply #162 on: March 18, 2004, 10:29:31 PM »

Oh yes, I was an E&T from evening posting, but it's not yet Kritzer Time in Wenatchee... soon, however, oh so soon!  Instead I was watching the Gonzaga basketball game, and then chatting on the phone with my very own mother.  Did I mention it shall soon be Kritzer Time in Wenatchee?  Well, it shall!
I sat beside the class clown... and I studied him

Tomovoz

« Reply #163 on: March 18, 2004, 10:30:45 PM »

Let me know the address BK. I may be able to knock on the door or phone.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #164 on: March 18, 2004, 10:31:19 PM »

Good advice, Jose. The first time I went to NY, I was a teenager. My mother and I stayed at the Chesterfield Hotel, with bathrooms in the hall. Not exactly the Ritz. We walked everywhere at all hours of the night. My mother was fearless.

Panni

« Reply #165 on: March 18, 2004, 10:32:43 PM »

Say something, bk, so I can go to bed. In fact, say TWO somethings.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 10:33:21 PM by Panni »

Tomovoz

« Reply #166 on: March 18, 2004, 10:33:06 PM »

A bitter lesson learned Panni. A favourite ale of the OZ male is "Victoria Bitter". I know people wash their hair in beer but I don't about using it as a face cleanser.
James Thurber 1957

Tomovoz

« Reply #167 on: March 18, 2004, 10:34:12 PM »

There is a queue for the computer. I shall sign off until later or earlier or whatever the time difference makes it. Good night all.
James Thurber 1957

Panni

« Reply #168 on: March 18, 2004, 10:35:29 PM »

Good night, Tom!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #169 on: March 18, 2004, 10:42:56 PM »

DR Danise (again) - Oh, will this be your first trip to NYC?

I did not mean to assume, but you know what happens when you assume...  Don'tcha? ;)

Ah, well...

And I also highly suggest Avenue Q and Wicked over The Boy From Oz.  Luckily, since your trip is more or less mid-week, you stand a better chance of getting tickets and good seats.  *Just remember, the spring "theatre season" is just starting to pick up now.  Lots more people coming in town - school groups, theatre parties, tour busses.  If you can, take advantage of the discount vouchers while they're still out there.

*I think it's a great sign that most of the Avenue Q discount vouchers are only available on Tuesday, Wednesday and Sunday evenings.  The little show that could - and can and is!

And if you plan to do the Wicked ticket lottery, be prepared for quite the crowd!  There are lots of aspiring Kristin's and Idina's out there! ;)

Oh, and don't forget the shows Off-Broadway and Off-Off-Broadway... and the cabarets... and the piano bars... and... and...  I guess you'll have to plan another trip sometime in the future. ;)
Make Your Own Luck.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #170 on: March 18, 2004, 10:44:48 PM »

Has anyone in southern California had to go to Traffic School and tried any of the internet or home study courses.  Any recommendations?

Never been caught, so no info to share with you on this, Dear Reader Charles Pogue.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jay

« Reply #171 on: March 18, 2004, 10:45:48 PM »

Ten posts to go for a landmark BK! No doubt a few late night posers shall be there soon.

Posters or posers (as in poseurs)?

Jay

« Reply #172 on: March 18, 2004, 10:47:41 PM »

I watched all three hours of SCHINDLER'S LIST tonight, not on the recently released DVD but on my old reliable laserdisc which is really a sharp transfer with excellent surround sound (though the music sometimes overpowers the dialogue). Yep, wept when Schindler broke down near the end just as I have always done.

I did not shed tears during the film proper, but when it came to the scene of the survivors placing the stones on Schindler's grave in the film's coda, I was Niagara Falls.

Jay

« Reply #173 on: March 18, 2004, 10:59:06 PM »

I see I am a one-man posting frenzy all of a sudden.

Miss Margaret Cho was terrific tonight.  She's trying out new material for what I imagine will be a tour.  The gig was at the L.A. Gay and Lesbian Center's Renberg theatre, which holds all of 200 people.  Seeing her in that intimate venue as opposed to the larger halls in which I've seen her in the past was very nice.

Her show relied far less on the anatomical and gross-out humor of shows past and is considerably more topical and politically oriented.  Miss Cho showed off her skill at mimicry, too, the source of many a laugh.

Panni

« Reply #174 on: March 18, 2004, 11:02:44 PM »

I offer my heartiest soon-to-be-3000 congrats, bk. For I must to bed right now. Yes, I must travel to Dreamland. The Supershuttle has arrived. G'night and congratulations.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #175 on: March 18, 2004, 11:19:10 PM »

Hmmm.. I guess BK must still be passing that stone...  Well, that does take time, so... :P
Make Your Own Luck.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #176 on: March 18, 2004, 11:25:25 PM »

I was watching the second of two Sherlock Holmes movies in the first volume of the Rathbone box set.  

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #177 on: March 18, 2004, 11:26:07 PM »

Well, hold your hats and hallelujah if this isn't my 3000th post!

Tomovoz

« Reply #178 on: March 18, 2004, 11:44:33 PM »

Congratulations Mr Kimmel. Did the cows come home to celebrate?
James Thurber 1957

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #179 on: March 18, 2004, 11:47:45 PM »

WOW!!!  3000 posts AND passing a stone!

What a night!!!

*OH, I just finished the Larry Blank interview!  Very neat.  -Hey, I was in that rehearsal room too when Mr. Sondheim could not get his new iBook to boot up properly!  Harumph!  ;)

And I still am "suprised" when I think back to that day last year when I was walking along 49th Street in NYC, and saw Larry coming towards me... And he made a point of stopping, finishing his phone call - to his wife, no less! - and taking some time to ask how things were going for me.  And a hug too!  Very nice man.  Thanks for the interview, BK - and Larry!

And if memory serves me correctly, Mr. Sondheim's "date" the night he sat in the pit for Sweeney Todd was none other than Mia Farrow!

And, now...

Goodnight.
Make Your Own Luck.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up