Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALLERGIC TO MY ALLERGIES  (Read 34149 times)

Jennifer

Re:ALLERGIC TO MY ALLERGIES
« Reply #90 on: March 18, 2004, 03:54:59 PM »

DR Noel: I think we are on the same mailing list :)

I only know Marcy Heisler and Zina Goldrich because they wrote one of my favorite songs, Taylor the Latte Boy.

They do have a website:
http://www.goldrichandheisler.com/

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #91 on: March 18, 2004, 04:00:37 PM »

First let me agree that Brown, objectively speaking, deserves to be in this book.  While his shows didn't have long runs in New York, there have been many productions of Last Five Years, Songs For a New World and Parade elsewhere.

But I'm speaking subjectively: It should come as no shock to the faithful readers of HainesHisWay that I'm no fan of Brown.  I've disliked the LaChiusa musicals I've seen, and I've yet to be exposed to anything much by Adam Guettel.  And yet these guys, along with Ricky Ian Gordon, get all the ink.  At times it seems there's this vast conspiracy among those who write about musical theatre to discuss these four to the exclusion of all others.  All four, as has been pointed out, were represented on Audra McDonald's first album.

It's a matter of taste: Markell & Bernstein's songs make me laugh out loud.  I think Something, the song they wrote for Mr. Karp of A Chorus Line fame, is one of the funniest songs ever written, and the BK recordings of Joshua Novack and Everybody Wants To Have a Nina are just heavenly.  David Zippel's not much older.  How come we never hear about how he's at the forefront of the new musical theatre?  His Broadway shows, City of Angels and The Goodbye Girl, racked up more performances than those of the anointed four combined.  He used to write with the always tuneful Doug Katsaros.  I like Andrew Lippa better than the three-named writers.

My friends, I feel, deserve to be written about because they write better material than the trio who were invited to the Drama Book Store Monday night.  Sammy Buck wrote a wonderful play called Barry the Hatchet and one of the most enjoyable musicals I've seen in years, Like You Like It..  We actually got to sing some of Darryl Curry's music on a demo once.  Two of his best shows were produced by The Third Step: The Elephant Piece and Quitters (based on a Stephen King story).  Jeanine Tesori's Caroline Or Change has been much discussed here.  The bulk of what makes Millie so appealing is her work, and today I got to play one of her wonderful songs from Violet.  She's the only person ever to be nominated for a Best Score Tony for incidental music (Twelfth Night, the one with Helen Hunt).  And didn't Jose recently tell us that two of her songs, Gimme Gimme and The Girl in 14G are now the most done audition songs?

Marcy Heisler and Zina Goldrich are most famous for two numbers, Taylor, and The Alto's Lament, which Emily Skinner recorded for BK.  I liked their didactic little musical Dear Edwina, and they also did some show in Minnesota.  They've won more MAC awards than any writers I can think of.

Now, I think you make a good point.  Book publishing is a commercial enterprise, and I guess those are the scripts people are most likely to buy.  But the best?  Not by a long shot.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Danise

« Reply #92 on: March 18, 2004, 04:16:27 PM »

Hi all!

First I want say a very heartfelt “Thank you” to all who posted information about NYC for me.  I can’t thank you enough.  I’m still torn between the two hotels.  I think Milford then I think BW.  

Another question, if I may?  What are RUSH tickets?  Where do you get them at?  Can I get them  in the morning before I go site seeing?  I would like to see WICKED but have a friend who told me I have to go see AVE Q and BOYS FROM OZ.   I’m told the Milford is next door to AVE Q but what about the others?

Bruce, sorry to hear about the allergies.  That’s one problem I don’t have.  As promised, I started the book today.  I’m enjoying it as well.  I would like see a 4th BK book, somewhere down the line.  The college days.  Has a ring to it, don’t you think?

Oh, my aching aches!  My poor legs. I am so tired and sore from that 22 flight useless walk down the stairs yesterday.  I told my story at the staff meeting today and the director has put my boss in charge of seeing that I stay ON my diet from here on out.  I had told them I was starting the diet at the last meeting and had made the comment that means EVERYONE in the department is on it with me because they would be the ones that would have to put up with me if I was starving (didn’t know at the time I wouldn’t BE starving).  

I had no idea the whole BUILDING would be affected..  Geeezzzz.    

Our poor director.  She just shakes her head and says, “Danise, I never know what’s going to come out of your mouth next!”  That makes two of us.  
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

SwishySarah

• Swish On!
« Reply #93 on: March 18, 2004, 04:29:56 PM »

Quick post between homework:

I have a friend who, for an english class, needs a song from a musical that has to do with someone who's crazy. Any ideas?
...Walk in the sunshine...

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #94 on: March 18, 2004, 04:49:35 PM »

Swishy posts a query and no one is here to answer it???  Where in tarnation IS everyone?  I've been slaving over a hot laptop - basically taking hours to figure out what one paragraph should be about (it had to be right, because it sets up the next chapter).  I finally got it about fifteen minutes ago and then sailed through the opening page of the next chapter.  Now, get off your butt cheeks and answer Swishy's question - who better than the denizens of this here website to tell her what she needs to know?

And here it is, Thursday, and no one, other than Jane, has read a book entitled Kritzer Time.  I think I shall be sad.  I think I'll go eat some worms.

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #95 on: March 18, 2004, 05:01:18 PM »

Jane...No, I absolutely LOVE The Major & The Minor  (it has my second favourite movie line of all time) and The Bachelor & The Bobby Soxer has been one of those late in life discoveries (it somehow always slipped under my radar...perhaps because of the rather silly title) that I enjoy more with each subsequent viewing.  Cary Grant and Myrna Loy are two of my favs and Rudy Valle was actually quite an amusing actor in his day (He's fun in Palm Beach Story too)

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #96 on: March 18, 2004, 05:01:36 PM »

Dear Reader Noel:

I checked and yes indeedy, you serve as the subject of the lead item in the Class Notes section for the Class of 1982 in the current issue of Columbia College Today.  It notes with some detail your nuptials with the errant and truant Dear Reader Joy and the musical extravaganza you created for the event.

The item concludes with the now famous phrase:

"The live recording is available for sale at www.weddingmusical.com."

« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 05:09:25 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #97 on: March 18, 2004, 05:05:27 PM »

Swishy, How about Hapgood's song in Anyone Can Whistle?

Charles Pogue

« Reply #98 on: March 18, 2004, 05:06:21 PM »

Hey, BK, next time send it to those slow readers...3rd class parcel post...

Jay

« Reply #99 on: March 18, 2004, 05:07:46 PM »

Quick post between homework:

I have a friend who, for an english class, needs a song from a musical that has to do with someone who's crazy. Any ideas?

It isn't from a musical, but Joni Mitchell's "Twisted" otherwise fits the bill:

My analyst told me
That I was right out of my head
The way he described it
He said I’d be better dead than live
I didn’t listen to his jive
I knew all along
That he was all wrong
And I knew that he thought
I was crazy but I’m not
Oh no

My analyst told me
He said I’d need treatment
But I’m not that easily led
He said I was the type
That was most inclined
When out of his sight
To be out of my mind
And he thought I was nuts
No more ifs or ands or buts

They say as a child
I appeared a little bit wild
With all my crazy ideas
But I knew what was happening
I knew I was a genius...
What’s so strange when you know
That you’re a wizard at three
I knew that this was meant to be

Now I heard little children
Were supposed to sleep tight
That’s why I got into the vodka one night
My parents got frantic
Didn’t know what to do
But I saw some crazy scenes
Before I came to
Now do you think I was crazy
I may have been only three
But I was swinging

They all laugh at angry young men
They all laugh at edison
And also at einstein
So why should I feel sorry
If they just couldn’t understand
The idiomatic logic
That went on in my head
I had a brain
It was insane
Oh they used to laugh at me
When I refused to ride
On all those double decker buses
All because there was no driver on the top

My analyst told me
But I said dear doctor
I think that it’s you instead
Because I have got a thing
That’s unique and new
To prove it I’ll have
The last laugh on you
’cause instead of one head
I got two
And you know two heads are better than one.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #100 on: March 18, 2004, 05:14:14 PM »

Bruce and other allergy sufferers check out this out and see if it is for you.
http://www.rhinocortaqua.com/c/index_flash.asp?ref=google

I prefer not to use a prescription drug but this has really reduced my allergies.  Yesterday a friend just happened to mention how much it has helped her.

I agree with Lulu that an air filter can help.

BTW Lulu, it’s nice to have you back.  I hope you had a nice visit with your Mother-in Law.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #101 on: March 18, 2004, 05:16:45 PM »

Thanks, DR Jay - I guess living seven blocks from the campus doesn't help one get the alumni magazine any faster.

Swishy Sarah - Try "Manic Depressives Don't Do Rewrites" from the Jule Styne-Bob Merrill never-made-it-to-Broadway Prettybelle.  Angela Lansbury sang it.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #102 on: March 18, 2004, 05:24:24 PM »

Danise---
All three of those shows are within a couple of blocks of the Milford Plaza... AVENUE Q and BOY FROM OZ about a block away, WICKED about 5 blocks.  The last time I checked, you could get discount tickets to all of them at www.theatremania.com .  This is a few dollars more than the TKTS booth, but still a big savings plus you have your reservations in advance and don't have to wait in line at the TKTS booth.   I would suggest WICKED and AVENUE Q.  BOY FROM OZ is one great performance in an otherwise not very good show.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #103 on: March 18, 2004, 05:25:48 PM »

Charles Pogue what is your second favorite line?  Do you like BACHELOR MOTHER with Rogers & Niven & Coburn, NOT Reynolds and Fisher?  It is another movie I never tire of and, due to the stars it has a similar feel to me.

Robin

« Reply #104 on: March 18, 2004, 05:27:29 PM »

It isn't from a musical, but Joni Mitchell's "Twisted" otherwise fits the bill:

Love that song, but hate Joni Mitchell's version of it.  Annie Ross did it better in the fifties.  

By the way, does anyone know whether or not the Honey West teevee show has ever been made available on Home Video?  I've been really wanting to see this show again lately...
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

William E. Lurie

« Reply #105 on: March 18, 2004, 05:27:44 PM »

Danise - I just checked that website and at the moment they do have AVENUE Q and BOY FROM OZ (plus a lot of other shows) but no WICKED.  Howeverr WICKED has been there almost regularly since it started previews so it should pop up again.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

td

• td
« Reply #106 on: March 18, 2004, 05:33:20 PM »

Swishy, I'm here for you, kiddo!

William Finn's "I'm Breaking Down" from IN TROUSERS, later interpolated into FALSETTOS.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

td

• td
« Reply #107 on: March 18, 2004, 05:34:14 PM »

Love that song, but hate Joni Mitchell's version of it.  Annie Ross did it better in the fifties.

But tell us how you feel about Bette Midler's version. . . . ???

Danise

« Reply #108 on: March 18, 2004, 05:36:22 PM »

Thank you, TCB for that web address.  I've been looking at it and it is a GODSENT!  Thank you too DR William E. Lurie.    That map is JUST what I needed to make my mind up about a hotel.  The Milford it is!  I checked the shows vs the location of the hotels and your right, the Milford is very close to most all of them!

I also found the Joe Allen restaurant and it's only a little walk from the Milford as well.  I even printed out the menu.  

I'm so excited!!
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

td

• td
« Reply #109 on: March 18, 2004, 05:37:44 PM »

Swishy Sarah - Try "Manic Depressives Don't Do Rewrites" from the Jule Styne-Bob Merrill never-made-it-to-Broadway Prettybelle.  Angela Lansbury sang it.

Nice suggestion, Noel.  Just as long as you don't offer up "The No-Tell Motel" or "I Never Did Imagine" from the same show.  "When I'm Drunk, I'm Beautiful" might work too. . .

Charles Pogue

« Reply #110 on: March 18, 2004, 05:44:06 PM »

Well, Jane, first things first...or, as the case may be, first lines first.  My very favourite line is from MIDNIGHT, spoken by one Rex O'Malley the hanger-on good friend of Mary Astor in the movie:  "I used to swallow things as a child.  My mother never left me alone in the room with arm chair."

My second favourite line from THE MAJOR & THE MINOR is the scene where the boys from the military school have invited the girls from the finishing school to a dance.  The girls are all lined up, including their teacher, each with a Veronica Lake peek-a-boo lock of hair dangling over one eye.  One of the young cadets, trying to make time with Ginger Rogers, looks over in disgusted exasperation, at the phalanx of young girls, all flirtatiously batting their one visible eye, and says flatly to Ginger, "We use 'em for women."

Charles Pogue

« Reply #111 on: March 18, 2004, 05:44:53 PM »

P.S. Jane...Never seen Bachelor Mother...

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #112 on: March 18, 2004, 05:45:09 PM »

And here it is, Thursday, and no one, other than Jane, has read a book entitled Kritzer Time.  I think I shall be sad.  I think I'll go eat some worms.
bk - A watched poster never boils. It takes time to read a book properly. Do not eat worms. They will make your allergies worse. Besides, what are those of us, other than dear Jane, who have already read KT and vociferously praised it -- chopped liver? I think not.

Jay

« Reply #113 on: March 18, 2004, 05:49:44 PM »

I will be leaving shortly to attend a performance by Miss Margaret Cho.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #114 on: March 18, 2004, 05:50:19 PM »

DR Sarah:

"The Tea Party" from "Dear World" -- it's a wonderful song for three singers, and each part is a crazy lady.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 05:53:15 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

td

• td
« Reply #115 on: March 18, 2004, 05:51:38 PM »

I just adore the way DR RLP keeps getting younger and younger and younger

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #116 on: March 18, 2004, 05:53:44 PM »

I just adore the way DR RLP keeps getting younger and younger and younger

It's a state of mind, Tony.

I love it, too!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #117 on: March 18, 2004, 05:55:38 PM »

As long as we're talking favorite Billy Wilder lines, mine is from Ace in the Hole:  "I don't pray; kneeling bags my nylons."  They don't write 'em like that anymore.

And can you imagine in the sickening PC world of today someone pitching The Major and the Minor?  We have, I'm afraid, DEvolved rather than Evolved.

Noel

• Musings on musicals
« Reply #118 on: March 18, 2004, 06:01:44 PM »

DR Danise - a north-south city block in Manhattan is one twentieth of a mile, so, of course, Joe Allen and all the Broadway theatres are a very short walk from your hotel.

This week, I entered the lottery for Avenue Q tickets.  You can buy two, for something like $21.50, if you win.  There's a drawing two hours before curtain.  Twelve front row seats are sold at this amazing price.  They don't start taking names until a half hour before the drawing, but there's no standing on line, just names pulled out of a hat.

And I hope your plans take you to some part of New York other than the theatre district.  While I love Broadway shows, it's the one part of town I don't enjoy being in.

Charles Pogue

« Reply #119 on: March 18, 2004, 06:08:25 PM »

BK, re: your allergies.  Spend the 300 bucks or whatever it is and get an ionic breeze.  My lovely, allergy-ridden wife swears by it.

I have been having an insane week of having all our college (mine and the lovely wife's) production photos from all the plays we did in school transferred onto CD.  The first CD has 90; the second shall have 95.  I'm also running off copies of reviews and programs  and articles from that time...not only for our own archival purposes, but for the University of Kentucky's Theatre Department as well...as they seem to have so little of this history.  Julieanne is going back on family business and for a farewell gala for a retiring professor and will present them with all this stuff.

In the interim, I must label all 185 pictures with the production and who's in the pictures.  It's been fun but a little like going to your own memorial serivce after you're dead.  Sob!  We were so lithe and young, so golden and so beautiful then!

Maybe when Mr. Kimmel and I break bread, he will come to my house and give me a step by step how to post photos on this site and I can share some goodies with you.  (I'm still figuring a possible time, BK).

I think it may be time for a new keyboard...I'm having lots of sticking problems...or maybe it's because Blind Cully, unable to find his way to the automatic pet door at some ungodly hour this morning, peed on my office floor and it ran into some of the computer wires...though I shouldn't think so...The poor little bugger...anymore when we hear a thump we know Cully has run into something...
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 06:14:42 PM by Charles Pogue »
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7   Go Up