Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: ALLERGIC TO MY ALLERGIES  (Read 34100 times)

Jennifer

Re:ALLERGIC TO MY ALLERGIES
« Reply #60 on: March 18, 2004, 11:34:18 AM »

Good afternoon everyone!

DR Swishy: glad you have your brother back.

DR WFO: I'm so happy that Joe will be home tomorrow. Please know he's in all our thoughts.

Re: Walmart, they actually can be very nice.

I had bought a cordless phone there a few months ago. And it's just not charging properly (it is supposed to last for 6hrs+ and it was lasting for like 30 minutes). I know I have the bill, but just couldn't find it. Anyhow, when I called they said no problem, just bring it back. And when I went the guy exchanged it and desensitized the magnetic field so I didn't even have to go to customer service or anything. Very good service!

Jennifer

« Reply #61 on: March 18, 2004, 11:41:06 AM »

Re: last night's American Idol.

I was also really mad that Jennifer Hudson was in the bottom three.  But I had a feeling that she didn't have that many fans yet. So I wasn't surprised.

I hope more people will vote for her next week to make sure the same thing doesn't happen.

I also wish that we were voting for the people we wanted off. I think at this point it would make it MUCH EASIER.

I knew Leah would be bottom three.  I was hoping that Camille and Matt would be there too. But I think Matt has many fans.

I could not tell if Simon was saying he was disappointed in John Stevens, or JPL. All he said was "john" (does he call JPL, jon peter?).

I wonder how many people would have thrown something at the tv if Jennifer had been voted off instead of Leah. I know I was thinking about it :)

I wish there was a way to see the complete list of who got the most votes. Now that would be interesting!

Btw, DR Panni: How many auditions do people have to go through to get on Wheel of Fortune? I had no idea!

Good luck vibes ~~~~~~~~~~~

William E. Lurie

« Reply #62 on: March 18, 2004, 11:41:54 AM »

BACHELOR PARTY is one of those cases where there were two difrerent, unrelated films with the same title.
There was the version from the 50s based on a television play by Paddy Chayefski with Don Muray, E. G. Marshall, Carolyn Jones and a large cast of good actors; there was also a more recent Tom Hanks film.  I prefer the former.

In the late afternoon snow Tuesday, Idina managed to make it back from Toronto in time for that evening's performance.  Kristin called in sick.  Idina has not yet missed a performance; Kristin has missed many.  I wonder if Tony voters will take that into consideration.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #63 on: March 18, 2004, 12:02:15 PM »

We really shouldn't pick on poor Tawny. she is the only one of the Stocking Triplets (Beige, Ecru, and Tawny) who made good.

Measurements: 34B-24-34 1/2 (Source: Celebrity Sleuth magazine)

Good Lord, she's tiny.  

I often wonder about these stats you see and hear about actresses.  It seems they never weigh more than 105#, nor do their waists ever top 25".  Such a thing is possible, of course, but it would put them all in about the 99th percentile, sizewise.  (according to Bebe's size chart, Tawny's a bit smaller than a size 0!).

The average American woman between the ages of 20-40 weighs approximately 138 pounds.  Either most of us are obese, or something is screwy in Hollywood.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #64 on: March 18, 2004, 12:06:36 PM »

My guess would be the latter DR LULU.

When Allison was in the Miss America Contest her stats were as follows"

Height: 5'7"
Weight: 125
Bust: 36"
Waist: 23"
Hips: 36"
Ankle: 8 1/2"
Wrist: 6 1/4"
Shoe Size: 6 1/2A
Dress Size: 12-14
Glove Size: 7

You don't want any of those girls with fat ankles and wrists to slip into the finals, doncha know!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

William F. Orr

• Jeeper Creepers!
« Reply #65 on: March 18, 2004, 12:15:24 PM »

DerBrucer:  In re your article from the Agape Press:  Agape is Greek for Love, is it not?  C.S. Lewis's Four Loves are, I believe, Eros, Philia, Storge, and Agape, and the greatest of these is Agape (as in I Corinthians 13).
"Champagne to my real friends, and real pain to my sham friends!"
--Wayland Flowers

Tomovoz

« Reply #66 on: March 18, 2004, 12:15:43 PM »

I had a delightful time yesterday, thanks to a thoughtful DR, listening to "Musical Of Musicals". What a delight. Followed that with the new album by a Mr Guy Haines - Yesterday's mail contained a pocket full of miracles.
Bought (for bargain price) yesterday a copy of "Prick Up Your Ears". IMHO an excellent movie. Script by Mr Allan Bennett - a great playwright himself. Also bought for Colin "The Russian Ark" which has been on his "must see" list.
TOTD. "Young Frankenstein", "The Lady Killers", "The Lavender Hill Mob", "What's Up Doc?", "The Producers", "The Court Jester" and all the "Carry On" Films. (and I know how bad they are!)
"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #67 on: March 18, 2004, 12:15:54 PM »

Hahaha.  ;D
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: March 18, 2004, 12:30:43 PM »

A new wrinkle from the villainous cretins who try to get usernames and passwords to accounts:

I received an e-mail, purportedly from Wells Fargo Bank, asking for verification of account name.  It's VERY real looking, so beware.  Of course, no problem for me since a) it came via bruce@haineshisway.com which is not a real e-mail address, and b) I don't have an account with Wells Fargo Bank.  If anyone here does, you should alert them that this is happening.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #69 on: March 18, 2004, 12:34:30 PM »

Jrand -- That is very cute.  Is that from the theater's internet site?  Why no director's credit???
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: March 18, 2004, 12:41:02 PM »

[size=20]My 100th Post![/size]
[/b]

Eight Favorite Comedies:

Young Frankenstein
Some Like It Hot
Stage Door
(not really a comedy, but a lot of funny parts)
Duck Soup
What's Up, Doc?
Sleeper
Bringing up Baby
My Man Godfrey

Too many more I can add, but I want to think inside the box on this one and stick to the rules.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 01:18:40 PM by Dan (the Man) »
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #71 on: March 18, 2004, 12:50:16 PM »

But I loved what you wrote, Dan the Man, about ratm (the resurrected Gwen Verdon post here) and would like to reprint it there at some point.

You are certainly welcome to, but I think it will only fall on deaf ears.  What we really need to start posting there is a lot of good dead budgie jokes.  

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

William E. Lurie

« Reply #72 on: March 18, 2004, 01:03:38 PM »

Was that the Wells Fargo BANK or the Wells Fargo WAGON?

I just read a press release from Showtime regarding their upcoming version of REEFER MADNESS - THE MUSICAL.  Although they have four members of the off-Broadway cast, Michelle Pawk (who was the best thing in the show) is not one of them.  The press release also claims that it's run of 150 performances was one of the longest running shows in L.A. history.  Was this a typo and they meant 1500?  150 hardly seems like a long run.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #73 on: March 18, 2004, 01:16:16 PM »

DerBrucer:  In re your article from the Agape Press:  Agape is Greek for Love, is it not?  C.S. Lewis's Four Loves are, I believe, Eros, Philia, Storge, and Agape, and the greatest of these is Agape (as in I Corinthians 13).

From The Red Badge of Courage:
"His mouth was agape in yokel fashion."

-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #74 on: March 18, 2004, 01:24:59 PM »

In the USATODAY AMERICAN IDOL poll, Amy Adams scored the lowest which really surprised me. I always think the judges' wild card selections have the hardest time since they weren't the two most popular phone choices on either show in which they appeared. And the bottom two last night were judges' wild cards: Leah and Jennifer.

But remember that Kimberly Locke was a bottom three early in the competition last year, and one week, Ruben was in the bottom three. You really can't get too complacent on the show about your performance. I suspect Jennifer will be nowhere near the bottom three next week. Her fans will burn up the lines next week to keep that from happening.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #75 on: March 18, 2004, 01:31:44 PM »

Isn't this just too, too! (only two toos becasue we included no images!)
Dang, and I wanted too too images of tutus!  Two tutus would be too too!
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #76 on: March 18, 2004, 01:40:01 PM »

I can't do tutus, but I can share this lovely shot of Ann Sothern in her "Where's That Rainbow" costume from "Words and Music".    Happily, I just got this in the mail.  It was an eBay auction win.  Sadly, it's only a black and white photo...this dress (and hat) was a knockout in color.  

« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 01:43:07 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #77 on: March 18, 2004, 01:41:19 PM »

Thank you oh Techno God DerBrucer, always there in a pinch!  My Dad's version was always, "I represent that remark!"

Anyway, do you think you were born a Republican, made a Republican by your parents or... oh, horror, recruited by Republicans who infiltrated the school system?
On my side of the family, both of my parents were Republicans, as were my father's parents (his father was Coroner of Riverside County, not Orange).

It is my SISTER who was recruited by the Democrats!  A well-educated woman, who teaches at the university level, she truly believes that Nixon was responsible for the war in Viet Nam.  (She's also the only one in the family to ever get a divorce, and the family homophobe.  Go figure.)
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #78 on: March 18, 2004, 01:46:22 PM »

On my side of the family, both of my parents were Republicans, as were my father's parents (his father was Coroner of Riverside County, not Orange).

It is my SISTER who was recruited by the Democrats!  A well-educated woman, who teaches at the university level, she truly believes that Nixon was responsible for the war in Viet Nam.  (She's also the only one in the family to ever get a divorce, and the family homophobe.  Go figure.)

Wow!  That's spooky.  She doesn't sound like ANY Democrats I know.

I overheard a lady at the supermarket last night, talking with someone handing out political literature, and she was raving about how Bush made an arrangement with the arabs and gave the go-ahead for the 9/11 attack to salvage his presidency.  SHE was INTENSE and you could see she believed her lunacy.

It SO pushed me toward the right...but fortunately, that's still a bit left of center.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #79 on: March 18, 2004, 01:50:29 PM »

You are certainly welcome to, but I think it will only fall on deaf ears.  What we really need to start posting there is a lot of good dead budgie jokes.  
Yes, but not too many.  You wouldn't want to be accused of going over-budgie.

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #80 on: March 18, 2004, 02:06:59 PM »

Dear Reader Noel:  Yes, I did receive a new alumni magazine the other day, but I tossed it atop my tower of unread magazines without looking it over.  (Other than, of course, checking the notes for my class only.)  I'll look for you in it this evening.

Dear Reader Panni:  If you enjoyed the Getty photography show, I dare say you will enjoy the Diane Arbus show at the Los Angeles County Museum of Art.  It contains a good deal of Miss Arbus' unknown work and personal ephemera as well as her famous photographs.  There's a terrific exhibit, too, at the Long Beach Museum of Art.  It is a travelling exhibit from the National Portrait Gallery comprised of photographic portraits of American women of significant accomplishment.  These women come from the worlds of arts and letters, politics, fashion, etc.  Many of the photographers are quite well known, too.  The museum is right on the beach, something your friend might enjoy.

Dear Reader William E. Lurie:  Other than for major sit-down engagements such as the recently departed The Producers, it is true that shows seldom run for more than 150 performances here in Lalaland.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 02:10:23 PM by Jay »
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Jennifer

« Reply #81 on: March 18, 2004, 02:11:08 PM »

Re: the book DR Noel & SWW were discussing, THE NEW AMERICAN MUSICAL: AN ANTHOLOGY  FROM THE END OF THE 20TH CENTURY.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/1559362006/inktomi-bkasin-20/ref%3Dnosim/104-6093064-0596712

I have a few questions. What exactly is this book? Does it just talk about these musicals?  Publish the scripts?

It says it includes: RENT, THE WILD PARTY, PARADE  & FLOYD COLLINS.  What other shows does it include?

Also, I can understand if these composers are not among DR Noels favorites.  But a lot of theatre geeks like them.  

Was he (Wiley Hausam) only trying to include less mainstream shows and composers?

Did anyone go to that Drama Book store chat?
« Last Edit: March 18, 2004, 02:13:30 PM by Jennifer »

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #82 on: March 18, 2004, 02:16:13 PM »

It's an anthology, Jennifer, meaning that the plays mentioned are what is contained in the book.

There's an introduction of reasonable length giving the reason for the book and biographies of each musical's major contributors.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #83 on: March 18, 2004, 02:32:16 PM »

And we CAN discuss musical theatre here.  Monday, the Drama Book Shop had LaChiusa, Guettel and Jason Robert Brown singing and chatting and one has to wonder who annointed these three.  Not counting a staged song cycle, Adam Guettel has had two musicals produced.  Brown's been responsible for three, I believe.  LaChiusa's written many more, it's true, but many are only famous for having bombed.

If the new generation of musical theatre writers is to be noted, let's note people who've done more work: I think the songwriters heard on BK's Broadway Bound are excellent (especially Markell & Bernstein), and prefer my friends Darryl Curry, Heisler & Goldrich, Jeanine Tesori and Sammy Buck to the omnipresent Brown, Guettel and LaChiusa.
Guittel has noted himself that his output would be larger if he hadn't had so much trouble with his addictions.  As it is, his Floyd Collins has been produced widely in regional theater, and it appears that Light in the Piazza will share in that production history.  Similarly, Brown's Parade is better known for the touring production that the one staged in NYC; Songs for a New World again is a staple in regional theaters, and Last 5 Years looks to be following that route as well.

I can't say much about LaChuisa's production history, as I don't care for his writing and haven't particularly followed his career.  He has been widely recorded (on major labels) however, as have Brown and Guittel, for their shows as well as being represented on solo recordings, such as Audra McDonald's Way Back to Paradise.

Other than Tesori, I've never heard of any of the people Noel mentions.  Violet was released on the Resmiranda label, better known for it's recordings of classical music.  While I cannot remember it's title off-hand, a show she wrote that appeared at the Mark Taper Forum about a woman film director in the early days of silents was quite good, but not recorded, and I don't believe widely produced.  The only other show she's written that I know of is Thoroughly Modern Millie, and she cannot claim writing the entire score for that as much is from the original film source.

A book, such as The New American Musical edited by Wiley Hausam, needs to reach a national audience if it is to be worth the publisher's investment.  (Either that, or it needs to be included as part of the required reading of a college course, usually taught by the author/editor, Lord knows I had that happen often enough.)  As Mr. Hausam himself acknowledges, part of the inspiration for editing this volume came from three similar books edited by Stanley Richards, one of which I own myself (Ten Great Musicals of the American Theater).  If I had never heard of the musicals in that book, which range from Of Thee I Sing through A Touch of Venus and Fiddler on the Roof to Company, I probably would not have bought the book.  Similarly, I am familiar with all four musicals included in Mr. Hausam's book, which was part of the reason for my buying it.

This begs the question, Mr. Katz: Why should any of us have heard of the works of Mssrs. Curry, Heisler & Goldrich, or Buck?  Where have their works been produced?  I acknowledge Ms. Tessori's talents, which I enjoy and admire, but the others you mention are unknown to me.

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #84 on: March 18, 2004, 02:39:49 PM »

Jed my car door has been fixed, no more crawling for me.  

I did a stupid but funny thing today.  I loaded my car with our recycling, knowing full well from the recycling center I was going to the body shop to get my car door fixed.  Of course there wasn’t any room left for me to climb over the passenger seat.  I called Keith to help me in through the window but he just threw the recycling from the front seat into the back seat laughing at me the entire time.

WFO-one more day!  What time to you get to pick Joe up?
Your neighbor sounds great.

Once and for all I DON’T LIKE    HORSERADISH.  ;D

Continued GOOD VIBES to Rachael, daughter of Panni

LauraII congratulations on the recital and a job well done.

td

• td
« Reply #85 on: March 18, 2004, 02:48:53 PM »

What we really need to start posting there is a lot of good dead budgie jokes.  

Wasn't there a book of cartoons?  100 USES FOR A DEAD BUDGIE?  
Ooops, no! That was 100 USES FOR A DEAD CAT.  
Twisted.
If I could be for only an hour, cute, cute, CUTE in a stupid-assed way!

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #86 on: March 18, 2004, 03:15:23 PM »

JRand53, let me take a guess here, you mean the original CHEEPER BY THE DOZEN, not the recently released Steve Martin movie.  Yes?

MBarnum good, safe vibes to Jeff!

Charles Pogue I was so excited to see someone else (almost used loves here but you don’t like that do you?) appreciates THE MAJOR & THE MINOR  like I do.  Oh, and you have another of my favorites not often mentioned, The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #87 on: March 18, 2004, 03:17:51 PM »

DR PANNI, you can imagine my embarrassment.

Thank you for changing the post  JR -- but no need to be embarrassed. I was :D amused, not >:( miffed.  

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #88 on: March 18, 2004, 03:24:24 PM »

I'll respond soon, but first...

Jason Robert Brown sent the following e-mail last week:

Food fight!  Food fight!

All right, not really.  But come see Michael John and Adam and me talk and sing and do a number from our new act, all to celebrate the release of "THE NEW AMERICAN MUSICAL," a new book edited by Wiley Hausam, featuring libretti from our shows.

I've attached the Drama Book Shop's press release underneath:  It's really funny, for a variety of reasons.  First of all, "The Last Five Years" is not included in the book at all  instead, there's this little unknown show called "Rent."  Also, the press release starts with  
"musical comedy," because "Parade," "The Wild Party" and "Floyd Collins" are such laff riots.  Then, I love this phrase: "[they] will play songs ... that should give the lie to naysayers.  At least in part."  I'm sorry?  What the f--- is that supposed to mean?

Anyway, we'll be at the Drama Book Shop tomorrow, it's free, we'll mock whoever wrote the press release, there will probably be fruit punch or something, and it'll be over by 7:30 at the absolute latest or Adam and  
Michael John and I get busted for breaking our parole.

See you then!  (I'll have more news for you all next week about some upcoming concerts and recordings   stay tuned.)
J.

The Drama Book Shop, Inc.
250 W. 40th St.
Store Events - March 15, 6:00 PM
Time: Monday, March 15, 2004 6:00 PM
Title of Event: THE NEW AMERICAN MUSICAL in Speech and Song

Playwrights and Performers Series
THE NEW AMERICAN MUSICAL with Wiley Hausam and guests

Wiley Hausam Hosts Musical Theatre Composers In Speech and Song

The American musical comedy is often considered one of the country's most important contributions to international culture--if not the most important. Today, however, there are those who say the musical is in serious decline, that its song will soon be ending and little melody will linger on. Wiley Hausam, editor of The New American Musical  --which includes the librettos to The Last Five Years, Parade, Floyd Collins and The Wild Party -- will discuss the vital subject with composer-lyricists Jason Robert Brown, Adam Guettel and Michael John LaChiusa. During the program Brown, Guettel and LaChiusa will play songs from past and new works that should give the lie to naysayers.  At least in part. TheaterMania chief drama critic David Finkle will moderate.
[/font]
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #89 on: March 18, 2004, 03:31:35 PM »

Jay - thank you for the info about the Arbus photo exhibit. I love her work and find her fascinating. I've been intending to see the show, but don't know when I'll have the time. I've taken off a couple of days to "hostess" and must make up for it. But I'll try to go!

Jennifer - I'm not sure of the Wheel audition process. I think there is the preliminary audition, then, if you are chosen, a second, more extensive one.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up