Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BLEARY-EYED AND BLU  (Read 13198 times)

Kerry

Re: BLEARY-EYED AND BLU
« Reply #60 on: May 15, 2009, 08:40:43 AM »

TOD:
CD's-- Chorus Line, When Pigs Fly, Over Here!
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #61 on: May 15, 2009, 08:41:11 AM »

PAGE 3 DANCE!!!!!!
I like boat races.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #62 on: May 15, 2009, 08:46:28 AM »

Media Check:

Only one thing worth mentioning:

BOOK: Ratios, by Michael Ruhlman.

Wow.

Working from information given to him by an instructor at the CIA (Culinary Institute of America, in long-form),  Ruhlman gives a slew of basic ratios, combinations of ingredients that form the building blocks for thousands of recipes.  The first ratio he gave, that bread is essentially five parts flour to three parts liquid, challenged me to try it.  20 ounces bread flour (approximately four cups), 12 ounces water.  Add some salt and yeast, throw it all together in the stand mixer, let the dough hook play with the ingredients until the dough has been properly kneeded, cover with plastic wrap and take a nap, punch the dough down and form the loaf while preheating the oven, let bake for about an hour and presto, der B and I had fresh bread with dinner.

All right, there's all sorts of variables that can be added.  Sugar or honey, change how much yeast is used, change the type of flour, add stuff like herbs and oils.  The basic ratio of five parts flour to three parts liquid stays the same.  This is news to me, when every other book has said that baking is an exact science, that you can't play around with anything because the writers who write the books don't want you to figure out how to do anything on your own!  All of a sudden, the mystery is gone.  I can play with my food.  Let the games begin!

And the ratios in the book aren't just for baking.  He's got ratios here for stocks and sauces, for mayonnaise, for custards, for sausage!

When der B learned I was baking bread, he turned to the dogs and said "He's getting adventurous again."  There was a smile in his voice.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

DAW

« Reply #63 on: May 15, 2009, 08:59:08 AM »

CD: "Lost", Season 4

Does it have a really good beat??       ;)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #64 on: May 15, 2009, 09:05:45 AM »

I'm quite groggy but will go joggy and hope that I will not feel too foggy.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #65 on: May 15, 2009, 09:15:05 AM »

Congratulations to dear Elmore on all the work acoming his way... has there been any more news on the sale of the last of the property in Ohio?
Lady MacBeth to the highest bidder?  I didn't know there were any white slavers that desperate!

There aren't! I've looked into it.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #66 on: May 15, 2009, 09:18:45 AM »

It's going to be a four-part evacuation. I dragged back two cartons and there are 6 more to bring back and sort through. I think DR MBarnum will get a surprise carton or two before it's over.

The place was a zoo today: hundreds of Columbia students storing their possessions for the summer. I called Ron Raines while I was waiting for a taxi; he just went through the same thing with Charlotte in Ann Arbor last week.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 10:18:41 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #67 on: May 15, 2009, 09:27:49 AM »

DR Vixmom, I enjoyed reading about DR Vixter's memorable sweet 16 celebration.  Darling photos!  :D

Vibes for her knee & your Pet Scan results!!!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 09:29:56 AM by Jane »

Jane

« Reply #68 on: May 15, 2009, 09:34:51 AM »

DR George, vibes you are super pleased with your new computer!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 15, 2009, 10:56:09 AM »

Back from the long jog - really tedious today, but a very pretty day out.  I've been writing everyone I know for casting suggestions - we'll see what it brings.

Jennifer

« Reply #70 on: May 15, 2009, 11:30:31 AM »

Where are all the posts today?

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: May 15, 2009, 11:34:24 AM »

RE: AMERICAN IDOL.

I found out 2 really weird things re: voting patterns.

I was wondering who was voting for kris and how he could even have a chance at top 2. Well when i was reading the televisionwithoutpity Idol message board apparently a lot of people did not like danny gokey.  I know i thought he peaked too early. But he seemed nice enough. Well apparently a lot of adam fans were trying to get danny out so they were power-voting for kris. I really would never have thought of this if i had not read it.

Now here is something else weird. My sister-in-law was a huge danny fan. She thinks adam is better than kris. But she wants kris to win. Because she thinks adam will have a great career no matter where he finishes. But that kris needs the win.

Again, i would never have thought this up. I personally would be unhappy with a kris win. I think the best person should win. And while kris seems nice enough. He is sort of boring to me. And i would be disappointed if people voted for him because he "needed it" more.

Jennifer

« Reply #72 on: May 15, 2009, 11:37:14 AM »

Some good news.  I rode my bike for the first time since i had that terrible sore throat more than a month ago.  It's really taken me a long time to get my energy back up after that. I was still waking up tired/exhausted and with a dry throat for more than a month after. 

And i was stuck at 75% health (my guesstimate) for a long time! I still don't feel perfect. And i figured i'd be huffing and puffing on my bike ride. BUt i decided to try to go to the library (only like a mile away). Going there was a breeze. So i rode around the lake. Also a breeze.

Only problem was there was a really fierce wind my whole way back. Didn't realize that one. But that would have been hard even if i was in perfect health.

So it was a success!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #73 on: May 15, 2009, 11:39:48 AM »

CD: "Lost", Season 4

Does it have a really good beat??       ;)

It's an "apocalypso" beat just for you!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Jennifer

« Reply #74 on: May 15, 2009, 11:41:27 AM »

Since i know that HHW vibes work, I will ask for some more for Sheryl.

She is currently in the hospital undergoing radiation treatments.  She really is a lovely good person. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #75 on: May 15, 2009, 11:42:33 AM »

RE: AMERICAN IDOL.

Again, i would never have thought this up. I personally would be unhappy with a kris win. I think the best person should win.

But...but....that hasn't happened since Season 1!!!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #76 on: May 15, 2009, 11:46:51 AM »

I am off for a nice night and day (a Cole Porter reference) at the sunny Oregon coast with DS Gabe.  Have a great weekend, everyone.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Kerry

« Reply #77 on: May 15, 2009, 12:00:02 PM »

While taking a walk earlier, i saw a banana peel on the sidewalk.  I didn't slip on it though; I already lived that cliche.

For my next cliche-----frying an egg on the sidewalk maybe?
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #78 on: May 15, 2009, 12:00:38 PM »

Since i know that HHW vibes work, I will ask for some more for Sheryl.

She is currently in the hospital undergoing radiation treatments.  She really is a lovely good person. ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sending good vibes!
I like boat races.

DAW

« Reply #79 on: May 15, 2009, 12:07:55 PM »

***HEALTH VIBES***
for Sheryl!!!

Amy

« Reply #80 on: May 15, 2009, 12:11:51 PM »

Bruce, I'm sorry to hear you're having so much trouble casting the two leads for "Nudie." Of course, we would have loved it if Patrick Cassidy could play Harry since we're such big fans and he sounded great in your living room. But he'll be busy taping "Ruby & the Rockits," and you may not have wanted him anyway. So I can only suggest the guy who replaced Patrick the last time he couldn't do a show - Damon Kirsche. Damon Kirsche replaced Patrick in "She Loves Me" for Reprise and did a fine job. Mark thinks he's too good-looking to play Harry, but I think you can put a fake pair of eye glasses on just about anyone and make them look nerdy.

DAW

« Reply #81 on: May 15, 2009, 12:15:00 PM »

A trailer for the European premiere of The Light in the Piazza in the UK.

Jane

« Reply #82 on: May 15, 2009, 01:01:39 PM »

RADIATION & HEALTH VIBES FOR SHERYL!!

DR Jennifer, great news on your successful bike ride! :)

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #83 on: May 15, 2009, 01:02:18 PM »

Why don't trailers "follow" productions rather than precede them?
« Last Edit: May 15, 2009, 01:04:48 PM by Ron Pulliam »

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #84 on: May 15, 2009, 01:03:46 PM »

Back from walk around Lake Merritt.

Am now munching on my lunch salad (mixed greens, asparagus, boiled eggs and chipotle chicken strips).  Yes, I've had the same lunch the past four days.

Next week...spinach, I think.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #85 on: May 15, 2009, 01:06:07 PM »

Back from the long jog - really tedious today, but a very pretty day out. 

Same here, with the temp in the mid-70s.  Tomorrow and Sunday, however, look to sizzle with temps in the upper-80s lower-90s.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #86 on: May 15, 2009, 01:15:21 PM »

The clouds haven't moved away, but we've had no rain yet. And it's muggy outside, too. Glad to have been indoors.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #87 on: May 15, 2009, 01:19:49 PM »

I watched last night's BONES while I ate lunch. A very unique, unusual and fun ONE-TIME experiment for the show, but I am not for them repeating this any time soon. I did like the clever way the favorite characters were worked into the new scenario that had echoes to their old professions. And I figured out the murderer easily enough.

But I'll look forward to a new season. Last I read, however, the show hadn't been picked up yet. I think they're haggling over money.

Matt H.

« Reply #88 on: May 15, 2009, 01:20:49 PM »

Next I began working on the remaining GUNSMOKE episodes. I got 7 episodes watched this afternoon. Every one of them was very entertaining, quite involving, and they never overstay their welcome.

Matt H.

« Reply #89 on: May 15, 2009, 01:21:41 PM »

Among the guest stars in the episodes I watched today:

Jeanette Nolan, Raymond Bailey, Marshall Thompson, and Ruta Lee.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up