Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OF CABBAGES AND KINGS  (Read 42189 times)

William E. Lurie

Re:OF CABBAGES AND KINGS
« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2004, 07:50:49 AM »

Cabbages - Well I made cornbeef and cabbage this week and it was delicious.  We're having the leftovers tonight.  And last week I made cole slaw.

Kings - Martin Luther King?  King Vidor?  King Donovan (Mr. Imogene Coca)?  Nat "King" Cole?

Re DAYS OF OUR LIVES - In the late sixties and early seventies it was the best soap on the air.  After that it became unwatchable.  John Clarke actually did quit.  His part was recast with John Ingles, former LA area high school drama teacher who was bumped from contract to recurring by GENERAL HOSPITAL and then quit to move to DAYS.  His GH replacement was Jed Allen, a former DAYS actor whose character left one day to mail a letter and then never returned.  Marlena was not an original cast member.  She joined in about 1967.  The real reason they are killing off so many people is budgetary.  The longer someone is on the show the more they have to pay them, so they are getting rid of older characters and hiring good looking non-actors who work for minimum.  Many of the other soaps are doing the same thing.  By the way, even though Soapnet is owned by ABC/Eisner, they have just begun same day repeats of DAYS (7 pm Eastern) along with the ABC soaps.

CD - The Donna Murphy WONDERFUL TOWN; classic early Cole Porter

DVDs - BEST FOOT FORWARD (Liza version) which I'll be seeing Sunday at Mufti; Cole Porter's YOU'LL NEVER GET RICH with Fred Astaire and Rita Hayworth (who may not have been the most talented Astaire partner, but was certainly the most beautiful)

Theatre this weekend - BEST FOOT FORWARD at Mufti and Cole Porter's THE GAY DIVORCE at Musicals Tonight

Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jennifer

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2004, 07:54:47 AM »

RE: Debra Messing

I thought they did a good job of hiding her stomach.  Yes she is so petite normally.  But I had no problem with them sitting her behind a table.

I don't get to watch Will & Grace too much because I usually watch Survivor (& The Apprentice).

Btw, how come nobody mentioned Survivor this week?
It looks like the preview for next week (where they pick new buffs) means they will be picking new tribes.

Btw2, LEX IS AN IDIOT!
(sorry but getting rid of Colby and Ethan and having a tribe with Kathy, Jerri, & Shii-ann is DUMB).

William E. Lurie

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2004, 07:58:25 AM »

Michael - ONE LIFE TO LIVE did have a gay character in the early 90s and the best gay story ever on a soap.  He was played by Ryan Phillipe who has since done many films and married Reese Witherspoon.  The only problem is that he was not the character who the storyline was originally intended for.  It was supposed to be Joey Buchannan son of the character played by the show's star Erika Slezak.  The network went along with the story, but did not want it to be about a major character, so suddenly Joey had a new best friend Billy who came out shortly after joining the show.  Still the storyline was excellent and also involved another character's son who died of AIDS and had several scenes shot outdoors and featuring the AIDS quilt.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2004, 08:12:11 AM »

My bad - she of the Evil Eye will be here, as usual, tomorrow.  I got confused - it must be waiting for everyone to finally get around to reading Kritzer Time.  The other two books everyone read the minute they got them.  This one, which I am ANXIOUS for people to read, they sit on.  I'll say no more and will not bring it up again.  

Jennifer

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2004, 08:18:18 AM »

Ah BK, I'll bet writing the notes the day before can sometimes get confusing.  But we know the Evil Eye comes on Saturdays. And you kept saying "it's Friday, it's Friday" :)

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2004, 08:25:23 AM »

After reading the notes, I wondered if your cleaning lady had changed schedules on you, but I wasn't going to pry.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2004, 08:25:51 AM »

For some strange reason I can not get to today's notes. Everytime I try it
tells me that Haineshisway.com is a file that I have to download??!! How
odd.
 I will try again later. But from reading the posts I understand it
is......

[font="courier new"]DR JAY'S
BIRTHDAY
[/font]....

and a very happy one I hope it is!!! ;D  ;D  ;D  ;D  :o

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2004, 08:29:14 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY JAY!

May all your birthdays be happy ones!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #38 on: March 19, 2004, 08:41:46 AM »

Thank you, Dear BK and Dear Readers for your fine birthday wishes!
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

MBarnum

« Reply #39 on: March 19, 2004, 08:44:45 AM »

Media check:

CD: Kritzer Time and Kritzerland CDs.

VHS: This weeks Survivor (I agree with you Jennifer re: Lex...dumb move). Various movies taped off of TCM this week including MONEY AND THE WOMAN, HERE COMES HAPPINESS, and THE LAST FLIGHT.

DVD: 1930s old dark house mystery called ONE FRIGHTENED NIGHT. And my weekly Bollywood film will be the 2003 film TEHZEEB starring "Society's face of 1994" the very handsome Arjun Rampal! LOL! Anyway the film gets really good reviews and it sounds like a good one.

Emily

« Reply #40 on: March 19, 2004, 08:45:02 AM »

Happy Birthday Jay!

I'm sitting in the AUS computer lounge writing (what else?) a paper.  This one is on Near Death Experiences though, so at least it isn't boring.  Hoo and Ray!

My audio-visual pleasures have stalled in their diversity just as my bank account has plummetted.  I am sure the two are related....

"The Last Five Years"(my favorite show... imperfections and all) is having its Canadian premiere next month at Canstage in Toronto.  Right now I am in the middle of convincing DR Andrea to travel down with me at the end of April.  Send me good convincing vibes ;)
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jay

« Reply #41 on: March 19, 2004, 08:45:13 AM »

Confidential to Dear Reader JRand53:  Merde!

Also, The Trip is definitely worth looking at.  Although the wigs on the two main characters may be a bit distracting in the earlier scenes, and there may be a few turns of plot here and there that push the limits of plausibility, on the whole it is a well written, acted and directed film.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #42 on: March 19, 2004, 08:47:03 AM »

Are any AOLers having trouble with e-mail?  I get no text when I open them via AOL - I can read them if I go to aol.com through IE.  They, of course, say there's no "known" problem, and have filed a report, but say it could also be my software.  To which I say, what could possibly have happened to my software in the last eight hours?  Nothing, of course.  Tried rebooting, that didn't help.

Emily

« Reply #43 on: March 19, 2004, 08:52:49 AM »

Add Quebec to the list...

Same-sex marriage is legal: Quebec's top court
Last Updated Fri, 19 Mar 2004 11:32:51

MONTREAL - Quebec homosexuals have the right to marry and the traditional definition of marriage is discriminatory and unjustified, the province's top court said Friday.

The Quebec Court of Appeal upheld a lower-court ruling in 2002 that same-sex marriage should be legal.

The ruling follows similar decisions in Ontario and British Columbia.

The Quebec case centred on Michael Hendricks and Rene Leboeuf, who wanted to marry after being together for 30 years.

In 2002, the Quebec Superior Court ruled that restricting marriage to a union between a man and a woman was unjustified under the Charter of Rights and Freedoms

Religious groups appealed the decision.

Written by CBC News Online staff

"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #44 on: March 19, 2004, 08:57:28 AM »

Thanks, DRJAY.

MBARNUM - I don't read any Eastern Indian...but I bet looking at that picture I can figure out what tehzeebs are....and she's got 'em!
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #45 on: March 19, 2004, 09:11:08 AM »

I can figure out what tehzeebs are....and she's got 'em!

Say, maybe it's about time for a Bollywood remake of The First Nudie Musical!

I'm not having trouble with my AOL mail.  Got a very thoughtful e-mail from former ratmite Matthew Murray in response to my post of Dan the Man's Wax Museum thoughts.

Happy birthday, Jay.  Another hug for you, sir.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #46 on: March 19, 2004, 09:15:56 AM »

LOL DR NOEL -  Would love to see an Indian actress do the blonde's audition scene!  LOL

Bevan

« Reply #47 on: March 19, 2004, 09:19:10 AM »

I just wanted to introduce myself...

Hi, my name is Bevan.  I'm 18, live in Ohio, blah blah blah.  Der Brucer invited me to join this site months ago, and so I did.  But I never got the nerve to post anything till now.

So hi.  And happy birthday to Jay.

CD - Godspell (Original Cast)
DVD - Thirteen (Holly Hunter and Evan Rachel Wood)

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2004, 09:21:18 AM »

Greetings to new DR Bevan!

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2004, 09:22:17 AM »

Shopping suggestion for DR Jay's Birthday gift:

The Actors' Fund of America proudly presents SUNSET BOULEVARD
A one-time only reading of the legendary and beloved Paramount Pictures Screenplay by Charles Brackett, Billy Wilder and D.M. Marshman, Jr.;
adapted by David Rambo and Directed by PETER HUNT

SPONSORED by WELLS FARGO and CONTINENTAL AIRLINES

Starring (in alphabetical order)
ED BEGLEY JR., JAMES CROMWELL, STANLEY DONEN, CHARLES DURNING, STEVE
GUTTENBERG, ANJELICA HUSTON, SIR BEN KINGSLEY, STEFANIE POWERS, WILMER
VALDERRAMA, PATRICK WILSON and NOAH WYLE

Sunday, April 4, 2004 at 4 p.m.-THE PANTAGES THEATRE in Hollywood

Tickets are on sale now!  Mention BROADWAYWORLD and recieve a 10% discount
(first come first served - limited availability).

Call The Actors' Fund now at (323) 933-9266 x54 or email your your order
to dmichael@actorsfund.org

SPONSORSHIP/VIP TICKET OPPORTUNITIES

$25,000 ~ THE NORMA DESMOND "I'm ready for my close-up" CIRCLE

$2,500 ~ THE CECIL B. DeMILLE "Hello young fellow" CIRCLE

$1,000 ~ THE JOE GILLIS "Mad about the Boy" CIRCLE

$500 ~ THE BETTY SCHAEFER "That was Norma Desmond on the phone?" CIRCLE

$250 ~ THE MAX VON MAYERLING "I was her first husband" CIRCLE

Regular tickets also available (includes theatre restoration
charge):
    $53 - Extreme side orchestra, side mezzanine, balcony
    $78 - side orchestra, mezzanine
    $103 - rear orchestra, rear center mezzanine
    $153 - orchestra, front mezzanine
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

Emily

« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2004, 09:25:39 AM »

Welcome DR Bevan!

You say you have been watching the movie Thirteen.  What do you think of it?  I was hoping to getting around to renting it this weekend...

Jay

« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2004, 09:28:10 AM »

Welcome Dear Reader and Newbie Bevan!

Jay

« Reply #52 on: March 19, 2004, 09:31:16 AM »

Shopping suggestion for DR Jay's Birthday gift:

The Actors' Fund of America proudly presents SUNSET BOULEVARD

Sweet thinking, Dear Reader Der Brucer, but I will be in San Diego that day taking in a performance of Verdi's Don Carlo.

I really do appreciate the thought, though!

Noel

• Husband (10th year), father and songwriter
    • Musings on musicals
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2004, 09:33:21 AM »

The bone I'm picking is with Willy Hausum, and I thank DR S. Woody White for quoting him.
Hausam writes:

Hal Prince likes us to remind us of the critical difference between a flop (a showbiz term) and a failure (an evaluation of artistic worth).  Floyd Collins, Parade, and The Wild Party were flops, but far from failures.  Why weren't they popular?  Looking only at the artistic elements, I would have to say that it's as simple as: they were anti-musicals, and the audience and the critics assumed, expected and insisted upon musicals.
this work is truly excellent; it's just out of synch with the dominant values of our times

I'm glad the book's published: it's good to have the light of the world (beyond New York) shining on exactly what these anti-musicals are.  As someone who writes and loves musicals, I have very little use for anti-musicals and would be even more interested in a volume of Terrence McNally's librettos for recent musicals: Ragtime, The Full Monty and A Man of No Importance.  The point (and I do have one) is that Hausum has chosen to focus on the same motley crew that writers about contemporary musical theatre always seem to focus on: Larson, LaChiusa, Guettel and Brown.  Maybe that's what sells books.

I'll bet that most of you haven't heard of most of the shows I've loved most in recent years:

From the Hip
The Boob Movie
Joe!
A Class Act
Avenue Q
Like You Like It

and four of these shows haven't been produced in any major venue.  Therefore, they need the exposure in a way that the frequently featured trio (AG, JRB, MJLaC) do not.
In this family, when words won't do, there's gotta be a song.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2004, 09:37:46 AM »

HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY HAPPY (That's 4 happies) BIRTHDAY, JAY!!!!

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Panni

« Reply #55 on: March 19, 2004, 09:39:11 AM »

No problems in my neck (or elbow) of Studio City with AOL e-mail.

Bevan

« Reply #56 on: March 19, 2004, 09:41:57 AM »

Welcome DR Bevan!

You say you have been watching the movie Thirteen.  What do you think of it?  I was hoping to getting around to renting it this weekend...

I thought that it was one of the most honest looks at the lives of young teenagers that has ever been put to film.

Many have knocked Thirteen for being "unrealistic" and an attempt to throw parents into a needless frenzy.  However, I think that the film was necessary.

The fact of the matter is that thirteen year olds (not all, but some) do experiment with a multitude of substances and behaviors.

The quality of the filming is not all that great.  It was filmed using a handheld camcorder, and it's very shaky.  However, first time director (and co-writer) Catharine Hardwicke used that "amateur" quality to her advantage, making the movie feel more like a documentary than a scripted work.

Not to give away too much, but when you watch it, notice the colors and how they change...

On a final note, the acting is superb.  Evan Rachel Wood (who is 15 in real life) plays Tracy, the protagonist of the film.  A young teenager who is perceived to be "dorky," and is willing to do anything to change that.  Nikki Reed (also 15, and co-writer of the film) plays the Evie, the troubled young lady who takes Tracy under her wing.  Brady Corbett (14) plays Tracy's older brother, who has to stand back and witness his sister's downfall.  All three of these youngsters give Oscar-worthy performances that are made even more poignant by the fact that they are so close to the age of their characters.

Holly Hunter gives a tour-de-force performance as Melanie, Tracy's mother.  I cannot even put into words the quality of Hunter's acting.  It is something that must be seen to be understood.

Panni

« Reply #57 on: March 19, 2004, 09:43:12 AM »

CD - Dvorjak Piano Quintet - Takacs String Quartet w. Andreas Haefliger

DVD - broken

VCR - blank tape

Not very exciting!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 09:46:58 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #58 on: March 19, 2004, 09:46:19 AM »

Welcome, Bevan!

I tried to watch Thirteen on my daughter's insistence. She really wanted to talk about it with me. But the colors on my broken DVD player kept changing from scene to scene (that's when I discovered that it was really, really broken). I finally gave up. Will watch it one of these days.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #59 on: March 19, 2004, 09:49:37 AM »

The Eisner Company has just announced a new TV Movie" "The Muppetts Wizard of Oz" with Miss Piggy as both Elphaba and Galinda!!!  I wonder what part Victor Garber will play in this one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up