Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OF CABBAGES AND KINGS  (Read 41864 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
OF CABBAGES AND KINGS
« on: March 19, 2004, 12:01:15 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, you've read of cabbages and kings, you've read of birthdays to celebrate and you've read of other things, so let's all click our collective heels three times and say, "There's no place like home" - home, of course, being haineshisway.com.  And what better thing to do at home than post until the cows come home.  To it, I say.  The game's afoot or, at the very least, the game's ahand.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2004, 12:01:32 AM by bk »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:OF CABBAGES AND KINGS
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2004, 12:27:48 AM »

Welcome, six GUESTS.  No posters, just GUESTS.  Lots of GUESTS.  No posters.  I'm going to bed now, given that there are only GUESTS and not posters.

Tomovoz

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2004, 12:34:15 AM »

Happy birthday DR Jay.
CDs: The NEW Guy Haines Cd
         "South Pacific" (with Philip Quast)
         "Musical Of Musicals"

DVD: Probably "Grave Of The Fireflies".
VCR: The making of "Chess" - the original concept album.
Tomorrow's DVD viewing: "The Russian Ark".

"I'm sixty-three and I guess that puts me with the geriatrics, but if there were fifteen months in every year, I'd only be forty-three".
James Thurber 1957

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2004, 02:04:09 AM »

Very Happy Birthday, DR Jay!!

I have been errant and truant all day Thursday, and will have to be e&t from HHW most of the weekend.  Yesterday, I was supposed to take the whole day off from work and help my sister move some big items from her old house to her freshly built new house.  However, I had to go to work to finish some invoicing and filing (there was a LOT) that had to be done before I left for the weekend, which I did.  After I got to my sister's at about 2:00 p.m., we moved most of the big items.  Today (Friday), I have the whole day off from work, but I have to usher for a show at 6:00 p.m.  We'll finish the last big thing and start to clean the old house, because I'm going to move into it when it's finished...hopefully this weekend (at least the cleaning part.  I can wait till next week to move).

So, today's topic of the day:

In my VCR:  a tape to tape tonight's "Life With Bonnie."

In anything else, nothing...maybe not till Monday when I can listen to my CDs at work.

And yesterday's topic of the day (okay, here are 12, not 8):

Auntie Mame
Blazing Saddles
A Christmas Story
It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
The Princess Bride
Singin’ in the Rain
Sleeper
Some Like It Hot
South Park: Bigger, Longer and Uncut
Victor/Victoria
Yours, Mine, and Ours
What’s Up, Doc?

Yesterday (a Beatles reference), SwishySarah wrote:
I have a friend who, for an English class, needs a song from a musical that has to do with someone who's crazy. Any ideas?

If you're still looking, there is also the tour-de-farce [sic] "She's a Nut" from On the Twentieth Century.  It has music by Cy Coleman and lyrics by Betty Comden and Adolph Green, starring John Cullum, Madeline Kahn, Imogene Coca (the aforementioned nut) and a very young and hunk-a-hunk-a Kevin Kline.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2004, 03:53:55 AM »

THE MEDIA WATCH:

We've got a surfeit of books and discs to read and listen to, and DVDs to watch and hear.  I'm not even half-way through what we collected in NYC last weekend, and more has arrived since!

The Kritzer CD that Haines recorded is wonderful, and will be in the rotation for some time, of course.

Der Brucer's locating the Oregon State University's Food Resource site isn't helping any.  The piece on Tacos, Enchiladas and Refried Beans runs sixteen pages, and the site has so much more!

Add to all of this a couple of articles in the local press on West Rehoboth, which has one of our favorite waitresses in a deserved snit, and which led to us driving through the part of town referred to in the articles last night, to confirm what Violet had reported to us.  Talk about a potent mix of property values and racism!  Yipes!

There are a couple of good results from last night.  For one, Violet's mother has promised us some pate from the restaurant where she works, which she herself makes (yum!).  Second, we've found a really good Chinese take-out joint close to where we live (another yum!).  Third, I've got a few more leads to report on re the local restaurant scene for eGullet, which means that next Friday night is already booked.  (Yums to be confirmed later.)

All of which brings us to the other book of controversy at this here site.  No, BK, not yours; I refer to Hausam's anthology The New American Musical.  Noel has been asking why the four shows included in the book are the ones featured.  I think I've found the answer in Hausam's introduction, titled "Way Back to Paradise: In Search of Today's Great American Musical."

Early in the introduction, Hausam states:

For example, West Side Story begat Stephen Sondheim (the show's lyricist), who begat, through the artistic influence of his work, the composer/lyricists of the four works represented in this volume: Floyd Collins, Rent, Parade, and The Wild Party, all of which premiered in New York City between 1996 and 2000.  What all these works and authors share is a need to stretch the form and content of the musical to portray our increasingly difficult and complex world, and with tools more broadly expressive than a 32-bar song, a good joke, a chorus line, a happy ending and a lot of spectacular razzle-dazzle.

Later, Hausam writes:

Hal Prince likes us to remind us of the critical difference between a flop (a showbiz term) and a failure (an evaluation of artistic worth).  Floyd Collins, Parade, and The Wild Party were flops, but far from failures.  Why weren't they popular?  Looking only at the artistic elements, I would have to say that it's as simple as: they were anti-musicals, and the audience and the critics assumed, expected and insted upon musicals.

It is possible that, unintentionally, this book documents the end of the noble tradition begun by Kern and Hammerstein.  If that turns out to be the case, I want to have gone on record: this work is truly excellent; it's just out of synch with the dominant values of our times.  A fact to pursuade you of the shift in cultural sensibility: not even
West Side Story has been seen on Broadway since 1980!

As you all can see, I've got lots of interesting reading to do, along with all the listening and watching going on.  That, and great food is on the way!  (I've got some chicken thighs soaking in buttermilk, in anticipation of frying this evening, along with the promised pate!  Very yum!)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 05:38:06 AM by S. Woody White »
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2004, 03:55:25 AM »

Lest I seem remiss...

[size=20]HAPPY BIRTHDAY, JAY!!!!!![/size]

May you get to spend it dressed as the proverbial Jay-bird, if you so choose!   ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Michael

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2004, 04:19:08 AM »

Happy B Day Jay
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2004, 04:20:14 AM »

And oh no movies this weekend. I have guest visiting from Atlanta and Ottawa this weekend. Busy Busy time.
Never stop dreaming.

Michael

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2004, 04:30:09 AM »

A Days Of Our Lives Rant

Now I don't know if there are any Days of Our Lives fans out there, but in my yonger days I was quite a fan of the show and haven't watched the show really in the last 10-15 years. But I have kept up on it. Current story line has long standing character Marlena killing off her family and friends. Long standing characters who have been around for 20-30 years. In doing so alienating many of the long time and core audience. I understand that it is all about demographics and advertising dollars. But from what I have seen of the few episodes I have caught over the years the actors look good but can't act.

But news comes that they are murdering the last of the original actors/character. Frances Reid who has been with the show since the very first episode is to be murdered by Marlena. With this horrible story line they already lost the other original actor fron the first episode John Clarke who "retired for health reason"

If DOOL does kill off Alice Horton I think they may have gonr a little too far. The show needs connection to the past and they have killed off too many of the long standing characters, Abe, Maggie, Doug, Caroline etc. If $$$ was a consideration then they could have been taken off contract. Now with Alice going and John Clarke quitting there is no actor left with the exception of killer Marlena. Julie who is not a regular will be the only connection to the "past". Bob and Hope are the only main characters to the past and they have been on the show on and off for the last many years.

The last time Days killed/wrote out many long standing characters it took years for them to recover and with the demise of Grandma Horton I fear the show will not recover as they will have alienated their long standing fans. To murder her will be too much and the way things work on soaps they will find some stupid excuse for the rest of her children, grandchldren and extended family for not showing up at the funeral. Maggie's children did not show up for hers.

If they wanted to write Alice Horton out they should have done it in a more "dignified" manner.

On the flip side if they really wanted to shock the audience and have a greater impact they wouldn't have announced it to the press
Never stop dreaming.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2004, 04:40:45 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR JAY!

Lovely posts yesterday......  ;D

I know TCB...my question as well.  Yes the gif was from the theatre website!

DR JANE by all the means the original and ONLY
Cheaper By the Dozen featuring the star of
Diapers for Cully: Mr Clifton Webb.

Show went well last night and we are hoping for a BIG OPENING!!  8)

CD Player:  Guy Haines CD "His Way"
VCR: DuBarry Was a Lady - love the musical numbers and Red and Lucille!
DVD: Knights of the Round Table with Robert Taylor, Mel Ferrer, and Ava Gardner

DRJOSE sounds like they have found him an ideal bunking location!

I loved reading the favorite dialog selections of DRJANE and DRCHARLESPOGUE - both cited a couple of my favorites as well...we use 'em for women....LOL!

On a less sophisticated note, I love the scene in Where the Boys Are - when Frank Gorshin is asking for a date.  He goes around the table, Dolores Hart turns him down, Paula Prentiss turns him down.  There is an agonizing pause...and then Connie Francis says:  "Well, let's not be insulting...."  So he asks her and she is happy to accept....LOL

Link to a story about Megan in "Loving Lucy".   ;D

http://www.indystar.com/entertainment/
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Ben

« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2004, 04:40:51 AM »

Happy Birthday to Jay!

VCR, the tail end of Queer Eye and Will and Grace

Won't be listening to much. Our new hard drive is supposed to be delivered today. It came from Little Rock to Secaucus (where it was as of yesterday at around 3pm) and it should come to our place sometime between 11am and 4pm. We will then install it and spend most of the weekend putting the computer back together.

We will also be going to a christening on Sunday. Anthony's cousin had a baby in November and the whole family will gather in Brooklyn to celebrate.

Don't know what I will listen to at work today.

I'll pop in later.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2004, 05:18:05 AM »

Have a wonderful birthday, DR Jay -

Hope Roller and Blackjack are planning something special.

Kerry

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2004, 05:38:54 AM »

Happy Birhtday, Jay.  Get many dog licks.

And get many licks NOT from the dogs.

Been listening to Michael Buble

Also Maureen McGovern singing the Bergmans (Still stuck on about 4 songs)

Just finsihed a DVD of the movie "The Trip" (A movie about a gay relationship from 1974 to 1987 or so---- not the Peter Sellers' version)

Best of Luck, Jack.  Do you also break the writer/director's leg or just the actors'?   If so, break a leg.  And all  your actors too.

And an episode of "Laugh-In"
I like boat races.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2004, 05:56:06 AM »

Thanks DRKERRY - I think EVERYONE should break a leg!

Someone just mentioned THE TRIP to me.....please post a review when you finish it....here and of course at the DVD place!

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2004, 06:11:45 AM »

Does any DR have a Lucille Ball anecdote I can share in the "circle" this evening?

Lulu

• "Big hair makes the rest of me look smaller!"
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2004, 06:29:15 AM »

Happy Birthday, Dear Reader Jay!

Jrand, I didn't click on the link because I didn't want to be taken out of this here site, but am I to understand you've written a show that is being produced in Indianapolis?  I am always a day late and a dollar short here, and never seem to understand quite what's going on in everybody's lives, so if I'm wrong, please forgive me.  If I'm right...CONGRATULATIONS!

I don't honestly know just what we'll watch tonight, but last night we watched - first time for either of us - Alfred Hitchcock's Saboteur.  I'm also finishing up an excellent biography of Hitch right now: Patrick McGilligan's Alfred Hitchcock: A Life in Darkness and Light which I highly recomment; it's thorough, balanced, and very well-written.  Anyhoo, it's very interesting watching the film and then going back to re-read about the making of said film.  Amongst other things, Saboteur was in pre-production beginning in 1941, and the unabashedly "Let's join the Allies in the fight against the Axis" script was repeatedly assailed as a violation of the Neutrality Act.  For awhile, it looked as though the script could not be filmed with these elements intact; then Pearl Harbor happened.  Suddenly, the Neutrality Act was history and Hitchcock was making a film "as current as today's headlines" to use the old cliche.

The film itself is pretty darned good, even though the topicality that was such a plus when it was released now merely dates it.  Of course, the film is very similar to - though not as good as - The 39 Steps, and Robert Cummings and Priscilla Lane are two of the blandest leads ever to star in a Hitchcock picture.  But the "wrong man" concept is one that Hitch - as usual - exploits to maximum effect, and two scenes in particular stand out as excellent representatives of the genre: the scene in Mrs. Sutton's ballroom where Cummings and Lane look around and see, amidst the clueless revelers, the many fifth columnists who are closing in all around them (notice the not-so-subtle parallel to the world situation at the time); and, of course, the film's climax on the Statue of Liberty.   A less adept director probably would have scored this scene with copious Danger!  Danger! music, but Hitchcock subverts our expectations (and creeps us out bigtime) by giving us only the sounds of the wind, the dangling man's occasional murmured pleas, and the sounds of his jacket sleeve (which Cummings is holding onto) slowly tearing at the seams.  WOW.
NOW: Becca in "Rabbit Hole."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2004, 06:30:33 AM »

Happy Birthday, DR Jay! (The '76's have never been the same without you!)

Friday Media Report:

DVD -- the first disc of The Flintstones Complete First Season set

CD(at home) -- Brian Eno's Music for Airports

CD(at work) -- Patti Loveless -- Mountain Soul (soul tuggingly beautiful music!)

Book on bedstand -- The DaVinci Code Benjamin Kritzer

I woke up this morning before the alarm clock went off and the first thing that popped into my mind was that book from the 70's, Power -- How to Get It, How to Use It and the Richard Gere movie that was based on it.  Very strange because I haven't thought of either of them in years.

And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2004, 06:42:45 AM »

Dan the Man - isn't the mind a strange and curious place?

DRLULU - I am directing a show here...didn't write it!  But thanks!

I love SABOTEUR - spies are everywhere and don't look like spies!  The party always reminds me a bit of the one in the later NOTORIOUS.  I love all the "locations" and it also reminds me of the later NORTH BY NORTHWEST when the "'wrong man" travels all over the country chasing and being chased.  Priscilla I can take or leave, but it is Bob Cummings' blandness that really makes the movie work for me.  He is such a nothing person going about his life and his life is thrown into chaos by circumstances beyond his control....oh...well I guess that sounds like most of us!  LOL

Jennifer

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2004, 07:00:54 AM »

Happy Birthday DR Jay!

BK, why is the evil eye cleaning on a Friday?

DR Danise: Here are the rush policies for Broadway:
http://www.talkinbroadway.com/boards/rush.html

Rush tickets are very cheap. But it means you often have to put your name in a lottery (which is drawn maybe an hour before the show). It doesn't assure you of a ticket, and it often doesn't let you plan things out.

I would definitely recommend discounted tickets instead.

Jennifer

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2004, 07:06:44 AM »

For DR Swishy: I guess it depends what you mean by crazy.  But I think the woman in COMPANY singing "Not Getting Married Today" is quite nuts :)

Also I have a question for DRs.  I was watching last night's Will & Grace.  I don't get to see this show that often.   And I'm having a slight disagreement about Debra Messing.  Is she supposed to be pregnant ON THE SHOW?   I didn't think so, since she was hiding her real-life pregnancy behind tables and theatre seats.  Can someone who watches regularly let me know.

Jennifer

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2004, 07:11:41 AM »

OMG DR Michael Shayne: I am a Y&R girl.  But I have seen Days of Our Lives before (many years ago).  I had read in the soap mags about Marlena's killings. I agree with you.  Totally crazy. You should not take a character who has spent MANY years being the show's heroine and then have her kill the whole town (and the show's matriarch). YUCK!

Jennifer

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2004, 07:19:18 AM »

Jennifer

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2004, 07:20:20 AM »

Hugh Jackman: Page Six: I'm not GAY!

http://www.nypost.com/seven/03192004/gossip/21200.htm

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2004, 07:24:36 AM »

Good Morning!

Media Check:  Only the CD Player this week:  Michael McDonald's "Motown" album.

Otherwise...

Well, I'll most likely be in keyboard programming land for the next two or three days.  So, I'm asking for my hall pass in advance just in case...

Oh, BK - Did she of the evil eye switch days?  or did you switch days?

???

-Time for me to finish waking up and get ready to head back north... Until tonight.. -Ah, a Billy Joel reference.. Well, almost... "Until the night..."  (my favorite non-hit of his).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 07:27:50 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2004, 07:32:21 AM »

First, Happy Birthday, DR Jay.

WILL & GRACE's Debra Messing is pregnant in real life but not on the show. There have been numerous jokes about Grace gaining weight that the writers have mined this season, but Grace is definitely not expecting.

Last night's episode was the season's best. A new potential boy friend was introduced for Will - actor Bobby Cannavale late of THIRD WATCH and also co-starring in this year's well regarded movie THE STATION AGENT. Bobby will appear next week as Will and Vince's first date pays dividends - or not.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2004, 07:36:47 AM »

Media check:

CD - WONDERFUL TOWN (new Broadway recording)

DVD - GREEN ACRES - Season 1 and also Woody Allen's ANTHING ELSE

DVR - FULL FRONTAL (Steven Soderbergh experiment in improv shot with a  digital camera)
MOTHER WORE TIGHTS which will be ported over to a DVD-R.

laserdisc - GUYS AND DOLLS (Brando/Sinatra)

Matt H.

« Reply #26 on: March 19, 2004, 07:40:43 AM »

I watched DAYS OF OUR LIVES when I was in college - also GUIDING LIGHT and GENERAL HOSPITAL, but I haven't kept up with any of those.

I watched ALL MY CHILDREN during the season they had a gay teacher character (with a gay student who came out memorably on the show) and started watching ONE LIFE TO LIVE when nthe gossip was that one of the characters there was going to be revealed as gay. When the producers got cold feet and chickened out, I stopped watching that show, too.

Jennifer

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2004, 07:43:48 AM »

Thanks DR MattH: That's what I thought.  It didn't make sense to me why they would hide Debra Messing behind tables and movie theatre chairs, if Grace was pregnant.  But the person I was disagreeing with couldn't believe that they would show her belly like that if Grace wasn't pregnant :)

Matt H.

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2004, 07:46:53 AM »

I wanted to comment on bk's mentioning the SHERLOCK HOLMES boxed sets.

Having watched these favorite mysteries for years and years in godawful dupes with high contrast, missing scenes, and so much speckling one would think it was snowing all the time in foggy London, these DVDs are a revelation. They almost all look sparkling with sharp, clear images, and wonderful mono sound. For me, these three sets (with the last two Fox/Holmes films coming in April) have been among the year's best releases of classic material, and I will be forever grateful that these B-movies were given such loving and careful handling by MPI.

Matt H.

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2004, 07:50:09 AM »

There is only so much they can do now to hide it and keep her on the show. Debra is normally so small and skinny that the pregnancy has affected her looks more than it would have an average sized woman. Early in the pregnancy, she was off the show almost completely because she was confined to bed.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 7   Go Up