Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OF CABBAGES AND KINGS  (Read 40908 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re:OF CABBAGES AND KINGS
« Reply #60 on: March 19, 2004, 09:54:23 AM »

Welcome Bevan.  Well, Panni is not having the problem I am, so maybe my AOL software magically became corrupt in the eight hours I slept.  

Ben

« Reply #61 on: March 19, 2004, 10:01:24 AM »

Since the computer at home is still down, I can't say whether we're having AOL trouble.

Welcome Bevan!

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #62 on: March 19, 2004, 10:02:19 AM »

I'm in a Leontyne Price sort of mood right now, so I think I shall put Aida on the turntable.  Or maybe Il Trovatore.  Or perhaps Un Ballo in Maschera.  Decisions, decisions.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #63 on: March 19, 2004, 10:03:28 AM »

My friend Salah just returned from NYC. Last evening we were having dinner together at another friend's - a delicious (and garlicky) homemade Lebanese meal. I asked Salah about New York, and he said Wicked was so boring that he walked out during intermission. Later I dreamed that I was at the Gershwin Theatre - third row, center - and was having the most splendid time seeing Wicked. There was only one glitch. The guy in front of me kept moving his head.

Would anyone care to analyze that?

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #64 on: March 19, 2004, 10:04:54 AM »

And a hearty welcome to DR Bevan.

Panni

• What are men for -- if not to amuse a woman!
« Reply #65 on: March 19, 2004, 10:45:20 AM »

Later I dreamed that I was at the Gershwin Theatre - third row, center - and was having the most splendid time seeing Wicked. There was only one glitch. The guy in front of me kept moving his head.

Piece of cake (Dobos)... You're feeling a bit guilty about thinking that your friend Salah is silly to have walked out on WICKED. On the other hand, as he's you're friend and you probably respect his opinions, part of you is thinking that he may be right. Which makes you feel equally guilty because so many of your friends at HHW love the show. Your subconscious has to somehow illuminate the dilemma. So in your dreams it takes you to the theater to see WICKED for yourself. You're having a splendid time (the HHW loyalty) but also a terrible time (the Salah loyalty). Thus, both sides of the emotional landscape you are exploring are reflected in your dream experience of the show. (Now if the man in front of you were smoking a cigar, the analysis would be QUITE different. On the other hand, sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.)
...That will be $200. (American funds, please).
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 10:52:11 AM by Panni »

Emily

« Reply #66 on: March 19, 2004, 10:49:43 AM »

Panni you missed your true calling in life...

Paging Dr. Panni :)

C'mon people - I am majorly bored right now (NDE are simply NOT as much fun as I thought they were)

Regale me with humourous tidbits toute suit! :D
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

Emily

« Reply #67 on: March 19, 2004, 10:50:12 AM »

hold on... does "paging" have an "e" as in "pageing" to soften the hard "g"?
"We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true" except at HHW of course! - Robert Wilensky

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #68 on: March 19, 2004, 10:50:44 AM »

My friend Salah just returned from NYC. Last evening we were having dinner together at another friend's - a delicious (and garlicky) homemade Lebanese meal. I asked Salah about New York, and he said Wicked was so boring that he walked out during intermission. Later I dreamed that I was at the Gershwin Theatre - third row, center - and was having the most splendid time seeing Wicked. There was only one glitch. The guy in front of me kept moving his head.

Obviously, the guy in front of you at the theater represents your friend.  His negative opinion of the show is getting in the way of you enjoy Wicked as much as you thought you would.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jay

• This is the face of a voracious aficionado
« Reply #69 on: March 19, 2004, 10:51:17 AM »

Dear Reader Panni--

Last night I dreamed about locomotive trains going through tu....

Oh, never mind.
You cannot change the past but you certainly can shape the future.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #70 on: March 19, 2004, 10:52:33 AM »

I don't get to watch Will & Grace too much because I usually watch Survivor (& The Apprentice).

Cool!  Another Apprentice viewer!  I am so hooked into this show (it's the only reality show I've stuck with since the first go-round of Survivor.)
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #71 on: March 19, 2004, 10:58:22 AM »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY,
DEAR JAY!!!

YOU PUT SUCH AN INTERESTING SPIN ON LIFE.

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
“One thing’s universal,

Panni

« Reply #72 on: March 19, 2004, 10:58:28 AM »

Panni you missed your true calling in life...

My true calling was to be a Broadway diva. Only my voice and dancing abilities got in the way.
The reason I can fake dream analysis is that one of my best friends is aces at it. He's even written a book on the subject, which DR Jane ordered a while back. I would phone him up whenever I had an interesting dream (one of them is in his book) and he would analyze it until the cows came home. (Cows in dreams represent...)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 11:56:14 AM by Panni »

Panni

« Reply #73 on: March 19, 2004, 11:00:49 AM »

JRand53 - Break a leg!

Now back to work...

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #74 on: March 19, 2004, 11:01:14 AM »

I'm in a Leontyne Price sort of mood right now, so I think I shall put Aida on the turntable.  Or maybe Il Trovatore.  Or perhaps Un Ballo in Maschera.  Decisions, decisions.

How about a little Porgy and Bess?  Her recording with William Warfield is the greatest.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #75 on: March 19, 2004, 11:04:40 AM »

Welcome to the cookie jar, DR Bevan!

“One thing’s universal,

Emily

« Reply #76 on: March 19, 2004, 11:07:15 AM »

My true calling was to be a Broadway diva. Only my voice and dancing abillities got in the way.

What I coincidence - I missed out on that same true calling (although you can add a lack of acting talent to the mix as well!) :)
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 11:07:40 AM by Emily »

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #77 on: March 19, 2004, 11:14:27 AM »

Thank you DRPANNI
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Bevan

« Reply #78 on: March 19, 2004, 11:14:35 AM »

Thank you all for the greeting!

And I will be a Broadway diva as well ;)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #79 on: March 19, 2004, 11:17:17 AM »

Jay, a big HAPPY BIRTHDAY!      

Right here should be a great collection of happy faces, but I apparently don't have the ability to transfer them. ;D

HAVE A GREAT DAY!

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #80 on: March 19, 2004, 11:20:55 AM »

DR Panni, DR TCB, and DR Freud,

Thank you for the analyses. (And I was sure the garlic figured in there.)

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #81 on: March 19, 2004, 11:22:49 AM »

Sorry, I don’t have time to read the posts yet and must hurry out for a doctor’s appointment.  But first, Echo is wet from her bath and waiting, (sure she is) for me to blow her dry with the hairdryer.  

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #82 on: March 19, 2004, 11:23:20 AM »

DRBEVAN looks like DRJED

Jennifer

« Reply #83 on: March 19, 2004, 11:27:07 AM »

Welcome to our newest DR Bevan.

DR Emily: I want to see L5Y too! :(

I also want to see The Producers and Hairspray and Urinetown (all in Toronto).  Maybe we should live there!

For DR Dan: Yes I really do like The Apprentice.  Even last night's recap episode was fun.  But it is interesting how the first to go were the men. And now he's been getting rid of all the women.  There are only 2 women left (and 4 men).

To me the only possible winner is Amy.  Everyone else is less than stellar.

Oh and for DR MBarnum: RE: Survivor, it should be interesting to see if they have to change teams again (totally unfair to the dominant tribe, but I bet Amber & Rob - even if separated, will still work together. Can we say THROWN CHALLENGE!).

Oh and I finally got some low carb ice cream - I haven't tried it yet, but I have it.  Do they only make vanilla?

« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 11:29:00 AM by Jennifer »

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #84 on: March 19, 2004, 11:27:33 AM »

***WARNING - LEVITY AHEAD***

My latest Straight Dope newsletter reports:

Can Tupperware cause botulism? (Eskimo version)
19-Mar-2004

(excerpts)

On August 17, 2001, the "Morbidity and Mortality Weekly," published by the Centers for Disease Control, noted that three persons in a southwest Alaskan village had come down with botulism after eating fermented beaver tail and paw…No mention is made of Tupperware.

·According to a 2003 planning document from the Alaska Department of Health & Social Services, in the late 90s a woman contracted botulism after eating "stink eggs" at a dinner party in Sitka. The stink eggs--basically a mixture of salmon roe and seal oil--had been fermented in Tupperware on top of the refrigerator. To confirm the toxin's source, two public health nurses had to go Dumpster diving until they found a discarded Tupperware container full of ripe stink eggs.

So you're the marketing manager for Tupperware's Alaska division. You've got time-honored and for all you know sacred native food-preparation practices on the one hand, botulism on the other, and your company's reliably, nay, proudly airtight container in the middle. You know there's nothing especially pernicious about Tupperware--in this context, even a bucket sealed with plastic wrap could cause trouble--but nonetheless the brand's good name is in peril. What do you do? Put a little slip inside each Tupperware container saying "Not Recommended for Making Stink Eggs"? Apply for a job at Sears selling socket-wrench sets? Well, suck it up, chum, things could be worse. You could be a public health nurse.

der Brucer (Ah, the Lady or the Tiger!)

I will add fermented beaver tail and paws to my Give Up For Lent List.

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

William E. Lurie

« Reply #85 on: March 19, 2004, 11:30:11 AM »

My favorite Porgy and Bess recording features Mel Torme and Francis Faye.

A PLEA TO FANS OF CLASSIC DISNEY ANIMATION

The Disney Studio has completed a classic animated version of The Three Musketeers starring Mickey Mouse, Donald Duck and Goofy in the title roles.  Michael Eisner has decided that as good as it is, it would not attract audiences and be too much of a financial risk to release it to theatres since it is not computer animated.  He wants it to release it directly to DVD.  If you feel that a film of this (alleged) quality deserves a regular theatrical release first, please e-mail the Chairman of the Walt Disney Studios at the following address and tell him you would like to see this film released to theatres:

dick.cook@disney.com

Supposedly if enough people show their concern they will change their minds and give it a theatrical issue after all.

And speaking of computer animation, I know the process is totally different, but doesn't it remind you of "puppetoons"?  As much as I loved both TOY STORY movies, I think they would have been more effective with actors as the "live" characters interacting with the computer-generated toys.
Years from now when you talk of this --- and you will --- be kind.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #86 on: March 19, 2004, 11:31:45 AM »

Tail & Paw, isn't that a nightclub on Sepulveda?

Emily

« Reply #87 on: March 19, 2004, 11:38:10 AM »

DR Emily: I want to see L5Y too! :(

I also want to see The Producers and Hairspray and Urinetown (all in Toronto).  Maybe we should live there!

DR Jennifer - do not deny your true Montréalaise spririt! That last line of yours should read:

"I also want to see The Producers and Hairspray and Urinetown (all in Toronto).  Maybe THEY should realize that Montreal is way more fun than Toronto and should come to US!" :)

Bevan

« Reply #88 on: March 19, 2004, 11:39:26 AM »

DRBEVAN looks like DRJED

I don't know whether that's a compliment or not, so I'm going to take it as one :)

Emily

« Reply #89 on: March 19, 2004, 11:39:51 AM »

ooh - Canstage has a special $25 for 25 ticket where if you show proof of being under the age of 25 you get buy a ticket to any of their shows for $25... CDN!!! :D
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 11:41:13 AM by Emily »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 7   Go Up