Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Down

Author Topic: OF CABBAGES AND KINGS  (Read 40906 times)

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
Re:OF CABBAGES AND KINGS
« Reply #150 on: March 19, 2004, 04:24:18 PM »

WELCOME HOME, JOE!

Larry - Nice to be loved! I still feel silly. I think it's because I hardly ever write "Dvorak" - make that NEVER write it. And my Hungarian brain just spells things phonetically by default. I did, however, spell Andreas Haefliger correctly. So all is not lost.

Panni,  I just got the complete Dvorak String Quartets on 10 CDs.  What a great composer!
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #151 on: March 19, 2004, 04:33:56 PM »

A great line from Slate Magazine

"Allowing Jayson Blair to judge the ethics of a writer—or publication—is a little like green-lighting Josef Mengele to lead a malpractice investigation of Marcus Welby."
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #152 on: March 19, 2004, 04:39:00 PM »

A great line from Slate Magazine

"Allowing Jayson Blair to judge the ethics of a writer—or publication—is a little like green-lighting Josef Mengele to lead a malpractice investigation of Marcus Welby."

I like it.  Now that I'm no longer e&t I can't shut up!  I wanted to remind all of you that on Fox tonight is the 2nd episode of "Wonderfalls," and I thought the first episode was quite wonderful.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

Jane

• Have a REALLY nice day!
« Reply #153 on: March 19, 2004, 04:43:34 PM »

WELCOME Bevan.  I’m glad you have joined us and your resemblance to Jed is a compliment.

Panni, I have the dream book on my night table along with a good sized stack of books.  It is close to the top of the stack, right below JOHN ADAMS.

Jennifer, regarding your resemblance to Emily-LOL

Jed, hope you feel better-quickly.  

Jrand 53 I’m looking forward to a happy report on your show.

Ann, I didn’t know.  Has that always been the case or did something happen to your ear?  Ignore me if you don’t want to answer the question.

DVD: 21 Grams
CD: Kritzer Time
TIVO: Last night we watched the delightful movie MIDNIGHT.  Just as I was wondering why the movie was called MIDNIGHT I was given my answer.  How is that for timing!  I’m not sure I should say this, but CharlesPogue your favorite line-well I find it funny, in a nice way, that line tickles you so much.  It must be the oddity of the statement.

GOOD VIBES TO JOE for a happy homecoming and may you get stronger & healthier every day.

Now, to feed the hungry pets.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 04:45:03 PM by Jane »

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #154 on: March 19, 2004, 04:43:58 PM »

Shouldn't that be that you thought it was quite wonderfall?

Jane

« Reply #155 on: March 19, 2004, 04:47:06 PM »

Maybe we should have stuck it out, but we turned WONDERFALLS off after ten minutes.  We found it a bit depressing and boring.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #156 on: March 19, 2004, 04:48:30 PM »

Good Evening!

Well, I'm all moved up here into my temporary digs - my really nice temporary digs.  Now I just have to unpack!  Ah, well...

And I got almost all of the first act of my keyboard book this afternoon...  I think I left off at patch change 287!!!  And that's not even the whole first act!  At least the musical director acknowledged today that both of us will be most likely be programming for a few days, and that all the work will not be done in time for Sunday's first orchestra read.  -Hopefully, it will all be done by Tuesday night... We'll see.  We're going in tomorrow morning at 10:00, and we'll stop when one or both of our heads start explode.

I'll come back later and fully read today's post, but dinner beckons, and I'm gonna head out to my parents' house to spend some time with the nieces and nephew. :)

Later...
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #157 on: March 19, 2004, 04:51:27 PM »

OH!

WELCOME HOME, JOE!
Make Your Own Luck.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #158 on: March 19, 2004, 05:08:45 PM »

I've got this twit series "Playing it Straight" in the background, and they all seem gay to me!  One thing's for sure:  some mad queen wrote the theme song as a total camp or some sick straight person was trying to do "Blazing Saddles"!

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #159 on: March 19, 2004, 05:16:18 PM »

Did elmoore find today's notes amusing?

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #160 on: March 19, 2004, 05:21:51 PM »

Speaking of Cabbages and Kings

Tomovoz can pop next door to Tauranga and buy a cornsilk bear for Colin:

and a Liquorice Carry Bag for himself

der Brucer (Liquorice Carry Bag my foot, it's a Gay Tote!)

We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #161 on: March 19, 2004, 05:27:19 PM »

Did elmoore find today's notes amusing?

Dearest BK,  everything you do makes me laugh, but I'm sure you'd never dream about a Nazi named Meade!  There couldn't be one:  it's not a German name.  Although there were British sympathizers, so maybe Mr Meade wasn't a Nazi.

I really missed voicing my opinion of comedy films yesterday, but I was happy to see "Christmas Story" on several lists.  Now I want a Kritzer film reflecting all the nostalgia of 1950s LA and Martian parents.

I used to be humiliated by shopping with my mother in the 1950s and I wonder now if she weren't Martian, too.  INVADERS FROM MARS scared the hell out of me, as it did Benjamin, and I dreamed my parents were sucked into the ground to become Martians.  Maybe it wasn't a dream?

MBarnum

« Reply #162 on: March 19, 2004, 05:43:00 PM »

I am still having trouble getting into the page that has today's notes. It keeps saying I must download www.haineshisway.com. I just don't understand. I finally opened up Netscape and then I was able to read today's notes. Very odd. Very strange indeed.

Welcome to HHW new DR Bevan. You will have fun here!

And welcome back home Joe!! I am sure it has been a hellish nightmare but you are safe at home now!

Robin

« Reply #163 on: March 19, 2004, 06:01:22 PM »

I originally posted this on the Kritzer thread, but BK kindly asked me if I'd repost it on this one.  Of course, I'm only too happy to oblige, and even add a little bit to it.

<<Even though there were worlds of difference between my own childhood and Benjamin Kritzer's fictional one, there were two (count 'em!) two incidents in Benjamin Kritzer which were echoed in my own childhood.  

And it brought back a warm memory of a wonderful guy that I thought I'd share...

When I was a kid, I had a paper route, which supplied me with actual spending money, which was very rare given my family's economic situation.  And I invariably used to spend a good portion of it at our two neighborhood theaters, the Delft and the Nordic.  And I would see every movie at both theaters.  Most of 'em I loved.  Some of 'em I couldn't understand for the life of me...I was way too young to understand what the heck was going on in Advise and Consent, but I still sat through the entire movie.  (Exactly why they'd let an eight-year-old kid get admittance into Advise and Consent is another story...)

Anyway, both theaters were owned by the same manager, who was way too cheap to hire two projectionists.  So the movies were timed so that Gene Maki (the projectionist in question) could run across the street to the other theater to do the reel changes.  I got to know all the consession girls by name (Sally, Kathleen, and Phyllis), and they remembered what I really liked.  And one day, they introduced me to Gene, who was a jolly fat Santa without a beard, but with a cigar.  He looked a bit like Burl Ives.  And Gene showed me how to load the film, how to spot when the reel changes were, and the differences between lenses.  And from time to time, he'd have me come to the theater to "check the print" of a movie before it opened.   The theater manager agreed to this, but he was such a cheapskate, he insisted that I still pay regular admission to this...but Gene forgot about that, more often than not.

In a very real way, Gene profoundly influenced my tastes in movies.  He bemoaned the fact that black-and-white movies were becoming passe, and was truly troubled by movies like Easy Rider.  He also had a 35mm projector in his basement, and owned some prints of various movies.  The first time I ever saw Dracula, I saw it in Gene's basement.

I loved that guy.  He passed away in 1983, and I travelled 1500 miles to attend his funeral.  The last movie he ran was Psycho II. 

I won't share the other incident, as (at least for me!) it was the emotional highpoint of the novel, and would be therefore by classified as a major spoiler.  And I wouldn't dream of spoiling it for anyone who hasn't read Benjamin Kritzer.>>

Anyway, thanks for Benjamin Kritzer, and thanks for bringing back memories of Gene Maki, BK...!
Mankind needs God...like fish need bicycles!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #164 on: March 19, 2004, 06:02:55 PM »

One man's "Boring" is another man's "Delightful"!

It never fails.  But I'll be watching "Wonderfalls" tonight, elmore3003, you can be certain of that!

As for "Playing it Straight," I stumbled into that show at mid-point last week when the bim...er..um...lady had just learned that some of the men were gay.  Her response would best be summed up as "paranoically panicked."  Suddenly she's assessing every one of them and MAKING WRONG ASSUMPTIONS.  So she let two men go -- and BOTH WERE STRAIGHT (or so they said).  To me, however, it was the men she invited to stay that seemed gay.  She's clueless and fated to be a "Grace" in life, I guess.

I really loved "The Ladykillers" and I can't wait to see how the Tom Hanks version plays out.  Advance press sounds very promising.

An unexpected bit of hilarity ensued when I played the theatrical trailer for the film.  I'm thinking it must have been the British script but it was definitely a non-British voice doing the reading.

He was a breathless one, whoever he was, and he was quite the sight reader, too, since my favorite bit was when he described the men as a group who carried out their plans "with demoniacal glee" -- and pronounced "demoniacal" as "duh-MOAN'-ee-ACK'-ul".  What a HOOT!

« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 06:07:22 PM by RLP »
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #165 on: March 19, 2004, 06:06:47 PM »

RLP sniped and won a nice rare CD for a very low price.

Jane

« Reply #166 on: March 19, 2004, 06:08:42 PM »

I won't share the other incident, as (at least for me!) it was the emotional highpoint of the novel, and would be therefore by classified as a major spoiler.  And I wouldn't dream of spoiling it for anyone who hasn't read Benjamin Kritzer.>>

Oh, please share with me, privately of course.  I enjoyed your first story very much.  Thank you.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #167 on: March 19, 2004, 06:08:51 PM »

RLP sniped and won a nice rare CD for a very low price.

I'm very pleased I won that, thanks.  I sniped another one but it was more dear to someone else than it was to me, especially since I've recently bought two posters for $300.  Feeling the pinch, I am.  I'm going to have to scrimp for a month, I guess.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Robin

« Reply #168 on: March 19, 2004, 06:10:32 PM »

As to this week's weekly media check:

In the deeveedee player:
Peyton Place and The Return of a Man Called Horse, which is actually a lot better than the first movie.  And a killer score by Lawrence Rosenthal.  

In the ceedee player:
The soundtracks to The Triplets of Belleville and The Story of Ruth.

In the VHS player:
The Incredible Drinking Man, a movie in which I appear as the titular character's Best Friend, an annoying new-agey 12-stepper who continually drives him to drink.

Robin

« Reply #169 on: March 19, 2004, 06:12:56 PM »

Oh, and by the way....

HAPPY NATAL ANNIVERSARY DAY, JAY!!!

and:

WELCOME HOME, JOE!!!

Jane

« Reply #170 on: March 19, 2004, 06:17:20 PM »

One man's "Boring" is another man's "Delightful"!

That's for sure ;D

I have been thinking about my use of boring and returned to correct that.  I shouldn’t have said boring. Depressing instead of delightful is more like it.  We didn’t like the main character and it wasn’t our kind of quirkiness.  I had read it was more like JOAN OF ACADIA which we enjoy very much.

Elmore I thought you might return and comment on the next 50 minutes I didn’t watch.  So new fans of Wonderfalls, does her personality brighten at all?  

Ann

• Cake or Death?
    • My LiveJournal
« Reply #171 on: March 19, 2004, 06:18:57 PM »

Ann, I didn’t know.  Has that always been the case or did something happen to your ear?  Ignore me if you don’t want to answer the question.

I don't mind answering it.  I was born with some facial birth defects.  Simply put, the bones on the right side of my face didn't form.  After eight or nine surgeries I look...well, you've seen my pic...I look fairly normal.  But one of the results was that the ear on the right side didn't fully form.  I have a shell (the outer part) but no inner mechanism.  The toddler I care for got quite a comical look on his face one day while exploring my face.  He couldn't figure out why one ear had a canal and the other had no opening at all... :)

Danise

« Reply #172 on: March 19, 2004, 06:19:56 PM »

Good eveing all!

Happy, Happy Birthday, DR Joe!

Welcome home, Joe!  

JRand, break an arm, a leg or whatever it takes but don't get hurt and have a WONDERFUL show!

Bruce, I am reading the book and more important enjoying it.  I have to confess it's kind of a bitter/sweet thing.  If this is the last BK book, I'll miss him so I want to go slow but at the same time I want to know what is going happen so I read fast.    I made myself leave it down at work (in my locked drawer) so I wouldn't be tempted to pick it up over the weekend.  

Thank you once again for all of your posts about my trip.  There are just to many to quote them all.  I am reading all of the links your putting up.  That's why I'm a little E & T.  

Turns out a friend in another department is GOING to NYC next Friday.  I made out a SASE (the big brown kind) and put about $3.00 postage on it.  I asked her to please stop by the vistors center and pick up whatever she saw that she thought I might like.  Maps and hop on/hop off bus info, etc.  

We all had a laugh about the Steak Tartare on the menu I printed out for Joe Allens.  $20.00 and it's not even cooked!   Yet, strange enough the more I think about it, the more I'd like to try it.  It's not like it's raw fish.  Yuck.  

I have to say about the being tired post from Jose.  I'm a little worried about that myself.  Ya'll know how tired I get just making it though the week at work.  I'm going to be dead on my feet by the time I get two trips in.  

I'm trying to build myself up for all of the walking.   My boss, my friend and I have started waking in the 8 story parking garage across the street.  We're doing it once a day for the next week then we're going to try doing it on both breaks.  

Someone said they measured it and it is a little under 2 miles not to mention all the inclines going up so it's a pretty good workout.

Still as a "Just In Case", if your at a show and you hear snoring, it might just be me.  Just give me a good kick/shake and I'll try to stay awake until the end of the show.    Zzzzzzzz.
Touch Magic, Pass it on!

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #173 on: March 19, 2004, 06:20:48 PM »

Message for WFO's Joe:  As infuriatingly outrageous as the miscarriage of justice was, I want you to know you are a TRUE HERO in my eyes.

« Last Edit: March 19, 2004, 06:21:29 PM by RLP »

Laura II

« Reply #174 on: March 19, 2004, 06:27:26 PM »

Happy birthday, happy happy birthday! Happy birthday! Happy birthday, Jay!

(to the tune of "Alouette." They sing it this way at Red Robin so they don't have to pay the royalties for "Happy Birthday." :))

Welcome home, Joe!

Also, welcome Bevan! Remember me, oh friend of Maya? :)

Feel better, Jed!
"I believe that my life's gonna see the love I give returned to me."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #175 on: March 19, 2004, 06:28:42 PM »

That's for sure ;D

Elmore I thought you might return and comment on the next 50 minutes I didn’t watch.  So new fans of Wonderfalls, does her personality brighten at all?  

DR Jane, part of her charm is her surliness, but the show's quite delightful and quirky.  I can't describe what you missed, but things developed very humorously with some very surprising twists that amused me to no endf.

Jane

« Reply #176 on: March 19, 2004, 06:47:27 PM »

elmore l shall have to give it another chance.  At the moment I don't have room on TIVO to record the show tonight but I can catch the reruns.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #177 on: March 19, 2004, 06:49:51 PM »

My friend Salah just returned from NYC. Last evening we were having dinner together at another friend's - a delicious (and garlicky) homemade Lebanese meal. I asked Salah about New York, and he said Wicked was so boring that he walked out during intermission. Later I dreamed that I was at the Gershwin Theatre - third row, center - and was having the most splendid time seeing Wicked. There was only one glitch. The guy in front of me kept moving his head.

Would anyone care to analyze that?
Would Salah happen to be tall?
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Dan-in-Toronto

« Reply #178 on: March 19, 2004, 06:58:25 PM »

Would Salah happen to be tall?

You know him?

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #179 on: March 19, 2004, 07:14:04 PM »

elmore l shall have to give it another chance.  At the moment I don't have room on TIVO to record the show tonight but I can catch the reruns.

DR Jane, it was quite an interesting episode and the denouement was a bit touching.  Clear out your TIVO and give it a chance.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7   Go Up