Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK TO WORK  (Read 12245 times)

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
Re: BACK TO WORK
« Reply #120 on: May 26, 2009, 02:19:59 PM »

it's the Covent Garden performance with Alina Cojocaru. 

I prefer the 1953 bootleg with Ethel Merman.

Der B: Ethel Merman in a tutu?

Moi: Well, it would explain why they invented the tu-by-four.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #121 on: May 26, 2009, 02:23:36 PM »

[g-r-o-a-n]
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #122 on: May 26, 2009, 02:32:54 PM »

IN ORDER TO MAKE A MORE PERFECT PASTA...

Der B and I went down to the farmer's market, found some nice spring onions, radishes (oooh, purple and pink and white!), fresh new potatoes and snow peas, and then headed over to Nurture.  Nope, they didn't have any semolina flour.  But before they realized where they recognized me from, they suggested I try the SuperFresh grocery store.  Then they realized where I work, blushes abounded, and der B smoothed everything over by purchasing some country pate.

Up to SuperGiant.  Nope, we don't carry semolina.  Strange.  On up to Superfresh (there was a notary public across the highway we needed to see, so it was worth the trip).  They indeed had the semolina.  They also had Lawry's Lemon Pepper, which der B loves and we don't carry.  Coming back home, I decided we could drop by the other two supermarkets.  Safeway had the semonlina... at a higher price than SuperFresh.  Food Lion did not have any semolina... but carried the Lemon Pepper... for less than we paid at SuperFresh.

Of the four stores, SuperGiant was doing a good business.  So was SuperFresh.  So was Food Lion.  Safeway... boy, were they lacking in customers.  They had four registers open, and not enough customers to justify that.  Pity, in a way.  They've been open less than three years, and will be lucky to last past New Years.

This has nothing to do with the recession.  This has to do with customers rejecting the store.
There are worlds out there where the sky is burning, and the sea's asleep, and the rivers dream; people made of smoke and cities made of song. Somewhere there's danger, somewhere there's injustice, somewhere else the tea's getting cold. Come on, Ace. We've got work to do.

S. Woody White

• The Lecture!
« Reply #123 on: May 26, 2009, 02:33:25 PM »

[g-r-o-a-n]

There will be no....

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #124 on: May 26, 2009, 02:43:26 PM »

Some semi-out-of-the-blue quotes for today:

"We must accept finite disappointment, but never lose infinite hope." MLK, Jr.

"He who is not angry when there is just cause for anger is immoral. Why? Because anger looks to the good of justice. And if you can live amid injustice without anger, you are immoral as well as unjust." St. Thomas Aquinas

Was Tommy Aquinas on Twitter today?
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

DAW

« Reply #125 on: May 26, 2009, 03:02:24 PM »

Was Tommy Aquinas on Twitter today?

Darn it all!   Missed him again??

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #126 on: May 26, 2009, 03:14:05 PM »

Back from the Kansas City Barbecue - the house shaking has reached epic proportions - it literally feels like a 7.0 earthquake every two minutes.  Pictures are crooked and there's no sense in straightening them until these oafs are done.  I'm told that today is it for the big machines - we shall see.  If today isn't it for the big machines then tomorrow they get a call from me and a bill for piano tuning, aspirin, and whatever else I think of.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #127 on: May 26, 2009, 03:15:13 PM »

I've finished all the corrections, so that's good - I'll be meeting with the transcriber on Friday and we'll fix everything.  I'm going to do the most problematic of the charts via e-mail, as I think that will free us on Friday of the biggest fix.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #128 on: May 26, 2009, 03:28:26 PM »

Well -

Today is the day that the California Supreme Court will proclaim whether Jayson and I are indeed lawfully married, or if we're simply living together in sin.      ;)

DAW, it's nice to know that at least you're still legal. :)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

« Reply #129 on: May 26, 2009, 03:28:50 PM »

(I've finally caught up with all the posts.)
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

ArnoldMBrockman

• so many possibilities
« Reply #130 on: May 26, 2009, 03:43:39 PM »

I am not certainly an expert. I only believe what I see.In my opinion the dfference with Blu Ray and regular DVD's(on the whole) is staggering. There is no question that regular DVD's on a  Bu-Ray player far excel what you get on a regular DVD Player. The proof-so to speak-is in the pudding- and as Jose would probably say it is Excellent and Tasty!
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 03:50:33 PM by ArnoldMBrockman »

Jennifer

« Reply #131 on: May 26, 2009, 04:08:14 PM »

DR Jennifer - As for "Y&R"... Well... As far as age differences go... Have you been watching "The Bold & The Beautiful" lately?  There's some truly cringe-worthy coupling going on there right now.  And, sadly(?), it looks likes it has been set up to induce cringing.  ::)

Which couples are you talking about? I often ff thru the show and i actually find jackie and owen sort of interesting (if that is who you were referring to).

Charles Pogue

• "The heart must bleed; not slobber." - F. Loesser
« Reply #132 on: May 26, 2009, 04:12:02 PM »

I saw a documentary last night about Harlan Ellison, friend of DR CP.

It was titled DREAMS HAVE SHARP TEETH and was most interesting.

Mr Ellison is an angry man it seems - most of his life is about confrontation and nobody is right about anything except him....and that's a difficult way to live.  I certainly think he is one of the best writers ever - I used to watch him now and then on interview shows and never got a good impression of him as a person.  And finally decided I would just read his stories and criticism and not watch him on television.  Hearing him talk, I didn't think that if we were ever to come into contact that he would like me very much - and vice versa.

But I would still recommend his books and stories to everyone.

JRand,

Harlan is a pussycat! Outspoken, yes!  Doesn't mince words, yes!  Doesn't suffer fools gladly (or at all), yes!  Irascible, yes! At times, even difficult!  But honourable and honest and incredibly smart and loyal and that loyalty is returned by his many friends.

George

« Reply #133 on: May 26, 2009, 04:13:36 PM »

About Blu-ray vs. DVDs...I don't have any plans to buy a Blu-ray player anytime soon, unless one is REAL cheap (but not cheap, if you know what I mean).  And if/when I do get one, I have no intentions of replacing my regular DVDs.  Even the ones that people here have said are not that great, they're good enough for me...so far. :)

George

« Reply #134 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:01 PM »

Blu-Ray?  That tired old format? 5D is clearly the way to go.

:o Wow!  The wave of the future!

George

« Reply #135 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:41 PM »

DR elmore3003:     ;D

More grist for DR JMK's review?

I would love to see Larry's Guide to the Ballet Classics on the NY Times bestseller list!    :)

I'd buy it!! :D

Jennifer

« Reply #136 on: May 26, 2009, 04:14:46 PM »

re: last night's MEDIUM

I liked it a lot. But i've liked every episode this season.  I can see why some might not like lynn (lee's girlfriend). But i thought the scenes were interesting. And it showed us why lee is so distant re: the baby. So i liked finding out more.

I liked the bank teller storyline. And i liked bridget in the car. It was all interesting. And it showed us that it is going to be very hard for the family with hubby away so much. Next week looks like it will be a great season finale.

George

« Reply #137 on: May 26, 2009, 04:17:10 PM »

I really LOVED last night's "Medium".

Allyce Beasley isn't used nearly enough in roles perfect for her...and this one suited her to a "tee"!

You liked all that intrusive stuff with Lee and Lyn's baby? I found it very irritating, but then I've always disliked INTENSELY the non-actress who plays Lyn, so that may have colored my judgment.

I agree about Allyce Beasley AND the "non-actress who plays Lyn."  I never understood why they cast her...until I found her IMDb listing.  Her name is Tina DiJoseph and she's married to Glenn Gordon Caron, who created the series and is the main writer. ::)

The people who post on her message boards hold back nothing when expressing their dislike for her on the show. :-X

Jennifer

« Reply #138 on: May 26, 2009, 04:27:31 PM »

For those who are following the story of Chris Engen (Adam on The Young & The Restless), the guy who quit the show because he was being forced to kiss a man, here is his response:

http://blogs.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=blog.view&friendId=85598263&blogId=491217751

DAW

« Reply #139 on: May 26, 2009, 05:05:57 PM »

Warning:

This Tone Matrix Generator can be quite addictive!!!

FJL

« Reply #140 on: May 26, 2009, 05:23:05 PM »

I have nothing to say, but I'll say it anyway

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #141 on: May 26, 2009, 05:24:23 PM »

I have nothing to say, but I'll say it anyway

Then say it Sister Margaretta!
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #142 on: May 26, 2009, 05:24:47 PM »

Hello, everyone.
I spent most of the day trying to straighten out all sorts of odds and ends that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. I suspect most of you know what I mean.

Today's gem: Although I diligently submitted change-of-address notifications to the USPS before each move, my mail has not been following me as it should. Last week I phoned several organizations to be sure they had my current address. I've received replies back, acknowledging the change. But one organization made the change correctly, then changed my address back to my previous address. When I called them today, I was told that every six months they do an update, based on the USPS database and that's why they changed my address again. Oy! And double Oy! It was correct until they undid it!

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #143 on: May 26, 2009, 05:27:49 PM »

As for the "non-actress who plays Lyn" in MEDIUM, add me to the list of her non-fans. I have often found her poor acting distracting, but thought it was just me. I didn't realize so many others felt the same way. It's a shame, too, because the series is otherwise so strong.

Jeanne

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #144 on: May 26, 2009, 05:30:00 PM »

I am tired.

Tomorrow is more house-hunting, which leaves me unfit to be in polite society.

That is all.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #145 on: May 26, 2009, 05:46:30 PM »

Page five?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #146 on: May 26, 2009, 05:47:48 PM »

I have cast our leading lady - I got bored of waiting, she gave a fine audition, she sings well, she's cute as a button and I'm done - just Dick Davis to cast, and if I have to I'll go with a WHITE man instead of a BLACK man since there are apparently no BLACK men who can be bothered to audition.  In NY that will not be a problem and I'm going directly for Andre de Shields.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #147 on: May 26, 2009, 05:47:55 PM »

He's black, you know.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #148 on: May 26, 2009, 05:48:01 PM »

And funny.

George

« Reply #149 on: May 26, 2009, 05:52:23 PM »

Warning:

This Tone Matrix Generator can be quite addictive!!!

I have no idea what this could be. :-\ I'm at work and I get the message "please install the latest flashplayer."  Since I don't have administrator privileges, I can't.  I'll watch it at home after rehearsal tonight.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up