Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: BACK TO WORK  (Read 12209 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BACK TO WORK
« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2009, 07:45:42 AM »

I woke up at seven all by myself.  No expected noise.  At seven-fifteen there were a couple of yokels yammering, but not too loud, and then someone was doing a little shoveling, and now the house is shaking.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2009, 07:46:05 AM »

I'd like to see the Ellison documentary - is it out on DVD?

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2009, 07:46:17 AM »

Ordered VALKYRIE myself.....two disc edition.  Thanks for the info, DR MATTH.  I am not sure how I feel about the film since I don't like Mr Cruise, but we shall see.

Yesterday I also ordered the slipcase edition of TITANIC THE SHIP MAGNIFICENT, two huge volumes about the construction and the outfitting of the ship.....hopefully it will arrive sometime soon.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2009, 07:46:46 AM »

I'd like to see the Ellison documentary - is it out on DVD?

Probably, I saw it on the IFC channel last night, which means it's probably on several times this month.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2009, 07:51:06 AM »

Well, Charles Pogue, technology has always been about progress and innovation. If it weren't, we'd still be watching the flickers at the downtown nickelodeon.

I have always been thrilled when innovations have been made to make my at-home movie watching experience more pleasureable. Watching VHS meant I didn't have to sit through commercials and could watch movies I wanted to see when I wanted to see them rather than when local TV stations decided they wanted to air them often drastically edited or chopped up to fit in commercials every five minutes..

Moving forward to laserdiscs meant I could watch films often in the proper theatrical aspect ratio so I wasn't losing any picture information on the top, bottom, or sides of the picture, and the sound was often much clearer and cleaner than I was used to hearing.

DVD moved past laser as a more cost-conscious way to watch movies, with more convenience, and with the first real moves toward turning one's living room or den into a true home theater.

Blu-ray has now turned the viewing experience to something that often far surpasses the visual and sound quality I get at local theaters. I can't tell you how many horrible experiences I've had at local cinemas in recent years, not only with poor projection (old, damaged prints of NEW movies or fuzzy projection from overworked, underpaid projectionists) and less than ideal sound (speakers phasing in and out, some not turned on or working improperly).

DVDs are a fine way to watch movies in the home, and the best DVDs can also match poor local theatrical presentations. But Blu-ray, more often than not, surpasses anything available around here.

If you're happy with DVD, GREAT!

Some of us are always wanting the next step toward a more perfect in-home movie watching experience.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2009, 07:52:52 AM by Matt H. »
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2009, 07:52:29 AM »

Re Blu-Ray - I felt and even feel as Pogue does.  If the player hadn't come with the TV for free I don't know that I would have bought it.  As I've said all along, it was too soon to ask people to switch and that's why, despite people always trying to tell me I'm wrong, it's going to remain a niche product - yes, certain titles will sell a few hundred thousand, but most titles, and I have heard this from the horse's mouth, sell less than 6000 units.  I likened it to laserdisc, which never got beyond a niche, and people don't want to hear it - and Blu-Ray is a bigger niche than laserdisc for certain titles, but it's still a niche because there are ten million people who feel as Pogue does - that the bump in quality is not sufficient to warrant spending their hard-earned cash on (especially now).  Also, the selection for classics is pathetic.  And I just don't care about new films, save for a few.  Classics are what made DVD break out - despite the studios telling you otherwise.  Yes, the big popcorn movies did the huge numbers, but it was the steady and excellent sales of the classics that turned DVD around.  Then the studios began crying about lower DVD sales - and when did that crying start?  When they thrust HD and Blu on the market.  They shot themselves in the foot, frankly.

All that said, if the Blu-Ray is well-authored from primo source material, it's breathtaking - on a film like Wall-E it's beyond breathtaking.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #36 on: May 26, 2009, 07:52:59 AM »

oh it's on the Sundance Channel - it's on again Thursday....I am guessing the times are EST

http://www.sundancechannel.com/films/500335433

And I had the title wrong - Dreams WITH Sharp Teeth

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: May 26, 2009, 07:53:23 AM »

I took a somewhat opposite tack to VALKYRIE in my review--entertaining?  Yes.  Involving?  No.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #38 on: May 26, 2009, 07:55:59 AM »

For me, the best part(s) of VALKYRIE were the most excellent Kevin Burns documentary (2 hours) on the *real* story, as well as the 8 minute or so featurette with von Stauffenberg's grandson taking the viewer on a tour of real Valkyrie sites.  For those two segments alone, I recommended at least a rental.  The film is another matter entirely.

BTW, Bryan Singer and my brother in law used to valet park together at some lot in Hollywood when they had both just gotten to L.A.  :)

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #39 on: May 26, 2009, 07:56:13 AM »

My topic is WHY BLU-RAY?  I've made a considerable investment in DVDS and Videos over the years.  As someone who grew up watching old movies on TV cut-up with commercials, static, and shadows, the pictures I currently get on my system are just fine with me.  I refuse to deal with any more planned obsolesence designed to picked my pocket getting me to buy stuff I already have.  All technology must now stop until I'm dead.

http://poguespages.blogspot.com

I absolutely agree with you. 

I do have a Blu-Ray player, but only because it was part a package that included my sound system.

I have no intention of replacing any of my current DVDs with Blu-Ray and, unless somebody gives me a Blu-Ray disc, I have no intention of buying any.  I'm perfectly happy with how my regular DVDs look using a Blu-Ray player on my LCD TV.  They look great.

As my wife says, you can always play your regular DVDs on a Blu-Ray player, but you can't play your Blu-Rays on a regular DVD.
You can dream…or you can do.

JMK

« Reply #40 on: May 26, 2009, 07:57:21 AM »

Part of what probably influenced my opinion is the fact that I reviewed two documentaries, one excellent and one fair, about von Stauffenberg back when the film had its theatrical release.  And so I kept wondering why VALKYRIE was not addressing salient issues in terms of class conflict, Catholicism and the like.

Matt H.

« Reply #41 on: May 26, 2009, 07:57:39 AM »

As for my three favorite Blu-rays, that is a VERY difficult question. I'd probably pick (today, might be different tomorrow):

HOW THE WEST WAS WON

DREAMGIRLS

PINOCCHIO

JMK

« Reply #42 on: May 26, 2009, 07:58:06 AM »

Druxy, a dime will get you a dollar that within a year or two ALL players will handle Blu-rays.  It's just the nature of the beast.

JMK

« Reply #43 on: May 26, 2009, 08:00:31 AM »

I am happy to report that LOHENGRIN was not EuroTrash, thankfully.  A very spare physical production (a couple of missteps--our Knight Errant was clad in a shiny silver sharkskin suit with gelled and glittered hair), but magnificently sung and especially played under Kent Nagano.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: May 26, 2009, 08:01:00 AM »

My work project today is DRIVEN TO KILL, a Steven Seagal potboiler that basically went straight to video. It is on Blu-ray, but I can't say that I'm looking forward to it. Seems like a pretty barebones release. There are no bonus features listed on the case, and it's not very long. It's on a single layer Blu-ray.

JMK

« Reply #45 on: May 26, 2009, 08:01:09 AM »

I have to figure out something to say about GISELLE.  I am just not a big ballet fan and those reviews are the hardest for me.  I guess I'll blather on about Adam for a while.  ;)

JMK

« Reply #46 on: May 26, 2009, 08:02:29 AM »

And then my final opera/ballet in this stack is DON GIOVANNI.  I'm looking forward to that, only because it brings back memories of Schenkerian analysis and plotting out the harmonies in the ghost scene in my junior year theory class.

JMK

« Reply #47 on: May 26, 2009, 08:03:23 AM »

Evidently, I am my own frenzy, with sporadic interruptions.  :)

Matt H.

« Reply #48 on: May 26, 2009, 08:04:09 AM »

On TV TOnight!™

ABC - ACCORDING TO JIM, DIAMONDS
NBC - BEST CATCH PHRASES
CW  - REAPER (series finale), HITCHED OR DITCHED
FX   - RESCUE ME

Matt H.

« Reply #49 on: May 26, 2009, 08:05:12 AM »

Since best friend John and I didn't do lunch yesterday (he was off with family on the holiday), he and I will be lunching today. It'll be nice to get out of the house after a long weekend.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #50 on: May 26, 2009, 08:13:22 AM »

Just ordered the Ellison documentary.

Jennifer

« Reply #51 on: May 26, 2009, 08:16:23 AM »

On tv tonight for me is the premiere of Canada's Next Top Model. The host is Jay Manuel from ANTM. Hopefully it will be a good season.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
« Reply #52 on: May 26, 2009, 08:17:48 AM »

Just ordered the Ellison documentary.

Seeing it once was enough for me.....but it is interesting.  I am not sure where he lives in LA, but the outside of the house is most extraordinary.

MBarnum

« Reply #53 on: May 26, 2009, 08:21:26 AM »

I have also not taken that next step to Blue-Ray, but only because, so far, no movies that I really want have come out on Blue-Ray.

Blue-Ray machines are still too spendy, and I require an All-region player so as to be able to watch my DVDs from Europe.

When the price is right, I will buy!

MBarnum

« Reply #54 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:43 AM »

JRand, did you notice Allison Haye's brief appearance on SOUTHLAND last week?

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #55 on: May 26, 2009, 08:22:46 AM »

There are a couple of all-region Blu-Ray players, but they're too pricey right now.  There are some really interesting Blu-Ray titles in other regions, so it's a shame we don't have cheaper all-region players yet.

JMK

« Reply #56 on: May 26, 2009, 08:23:13 AM »

Fingers crossed--things are looking promising regarding Mr. Frishberg.  I'm very enthused.

Jennifer

« Reply #57 on: May 26, 2009, 08:28:26 AM »

DR Jose, thanks for posting that Advocate link.

re: The Young & The Restless.

I am curious though with what you wrote. Are you wondering if the actor in the article will be part of the new gay love story?

Since the other half of the pairing is in his 20s. My guess for the other partner would be the actor in the story's charactor's son (who is also going to be on the show and who is also in his 20s).

Matt H.

« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2009, 08:30:39 AM »

Heading down now to get cleaned up for my lunch out.

WBBL.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2009, 08:32:20 AM »

Ugh--nothing I love more than coming back to work after being sick and a three day holiday and then having a morning's worth of meetings.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up