Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Down

Author Topic: SHAKE AND BAKE  (Read 13079 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: SHAKE AND BAKE
« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2009, 08:03:01 AM »

Yes, THE FIFTH ELEMENT on Blu-ray is one of the great transfers in picture and sound. However, Sony redid that release after screwing up the initial attempt on Blu-ray. They used an older dirty master, and people howled like banshees when that was released. Sony redid it, and offered a replacement program for those who bought the original release.

I had no idea that had happened.  Whatever Columbia did wrong at the beginning, their transfers are really fantastic now - I've yet to see a bum Columbia Blu-Ray.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2009, 08:04:54 AM »

Well, the good news is the earthquake bulldozer is gone.  The bad news is they are not finished, as promised, and there's machinery out there making lots of noise since seven-thirty.  I will be calling the company today to ask them why they told me they'd be done and aren't, and then I do think I will lodge a formal complaint with the police.  I understand that there's nothing I can do about it, but, you know, any grief I can return I'm happy to do so.

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #32 on: May 27, 2009, 08:06:03 AM »

On TV TOnight!™

ABC - WIPEOUT (season premiere), THE GOODE FAMILY (series premiere), SURVIVING SUBURBIA, THE UNUSUALS
CBS - GEORGE STRAIT: AMC artist of the Decade Concert
FOX - SO YOU THINK YOU CAN DANCE (two hours)
PBS - GREAT PERFORMANCES ("In the Heights"), AMERICAN MASTERS (Chinese-American film history)
COM - RENO 911!
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

Matt H.

« Reply #33 on: May 27, 2009, 08:08:04 AM »

Yes, THE FIFTH ELEMENT on Blu-ray is one of the great transfers in picture and sound. However, Sony redid that release after screwing up the initial attempt on Blu-ray. They used an older dirty master, and people howled like banshees when that was released. Sony redid it, and offered a replacement program for those who bought the original release.

I had no idea that had happened.  Whatever Columbia did wrong at the beginning, their transfers are really fantastic now - I've yet to see a bum Columbia Blu-Ray.

Yes, their stuff is really consistently good now. They allegedly didn't do well with another launch title, THE HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS either, but that's heresay; I don't have it and have never seen it.

Matt H.

« Reply #34 on: May 27, 2009, 08:09:33 AM »

LOL! Talk about noise, some county maintenance workers are jackhammering on the street opposite my office window, and it is LOUD!

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #35 on: May 27, 2009, 08:15:16 AM »

Question for BK regarding yesterday's DVD/Blu-Ray discussion...

Do you think any of the studios might ever pull a stunt and release a huge hit like STAR TREK on Blu-Ray only (with a DVD release to follow a month or so after?)  I was actually expecting that to happen with THE DARK KNIGHT.

They can certainly try, but they've been too nervous to do it heretofore.  They don't need yet more outcry from the DVD millions who, after all, have given the studios an incredible ride for many years - I can only tell you that the studios have lost a lot of consumers because of Blu-Ray - as I said yesterday, the average Joe doesn't appreciate a new format wherein he has to spend more money to get things he was getting for ten dollars less.  This is where they really miscalculated - the cost of the software - and if and when that comes down and the players come way down, then maybe sales will rise - but they probably waited too long for that to happen now, in this economy.

There has been a lot of coverage about the drop in DVD sales over last year. Yes, spending money on a new format has been listed as a "turn off", but, basically, it comes down to people not wanting - and/or not having the extra money to spend on anything - whether it's DVDs, CDs, cars, homes, etc.
Make Your Own Luck.

MBarnum

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2009, 08:18:08 AM »

My question for BK,

You and I have discussed (well, mostly I have discussed) Kritzerland releasing the music of film composer Albert Glasser. As it turned out there were rights issues with some of his work, however, many of the films he scored are now in public domain (Monster Maker, The Indestructible Man, The Gay Amigo, Philo Vance Returns, The Gas House Kids in Hollywood, The Negro Soldier, Oomo Oomo The Shark God, Port Sinister, and tons more). Since those films are in the public domain, wouldn't the music also be?

I for one would love to have those pieces on CD, and considering the popularity of those old poverty row films and of his music, many others might as well.

So my question is, would that be a possibility?

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2009, 08:19:39 AM »

Quoth FJL yestereve:

Since Audra McDonald was seen at HAIR tonight and this was just announced today, there may be a connection.

http://www.playbill.com/news/article/129586-Audra_McDonald_and_Will_Swenson_to_Star_in_Utah_110_in_the_Shade_in_2010

I'm sure they can work out a special tie-in when Orem, Utah sees Audra and celebrates OMIGOD, WHY IS HER SKIN THAT COLOR DAY?   ;D

(I literally never saw a person of color *once* growing up in SLC, and Orem, ladies and germs, is the "sticks" compared to SLC).
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2009, 08:25:13 AM »

Yes, their stuff is really consistently good now. They allegedly didn't do well with another launch title, THE HOUSE OF FLYING DAGGERS either, but that's heresay; I don't have it and have never seen it.

It's hideous.  I wonder if I have the first FIFTH ELEMENT.  How does one determine that, and if it is, how does one procure a replacement?
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2009, 08:29:09 AM »

My question for BK,

You and I have discussed (well, mostly I have discussed) Kritzerland releasing the music of film composer Albert Glasser. As it turned out there were rights issues with some of his work, however, many of the films he scored are now in public domain (Monster Maker, The Indestructible Man, The Gay Amigo, Philo Vance Returns, The Gas House Kids in Hollywood, The Negro Soldier, Oomo Oomo The Shark God, Port Sinister, and tons more). Since those films are in the public domain, wouldn't the music also be?

I for one would love to have those pieces on CD, and considering the popularity of those old poverty row films and of his music, many others might as well.

So my question is, would that be a possibility?

There are two problems, both significant:  Problem one would be what elements are available.  I talked to the lady who supposedly has tapes but they all seem to be cassettes from what I can tell and she never follows up anyway.  The second problem is that it simply wouldn't sell enough to justify the cost of doing it.  Sad, but true.  When an online dealer STILL has copies of Two For The Seesaw, a brilliant score by a great composer (we obviously sold out of it), then you can see the problem with Albert Glasser, much as we may like his work.

Kerry

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2009, 08:46:19 AM »

Good Morning! 
I like boat races.

Kerry

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2009, 08:46:38 AM »

Sorry about the bulldozers again today, Bruce.
I like boat races.

Matt H.

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2009, 08:51:46 AM »

It's hideous.  I wonder if I have the first FIFTH ELEMENT.  How does one determine that, and if it is, how does one procure a replacement?

I think by the time you bought into Blu-ray, the new disc was already in circulation. Did you get yours off Ebay or something? And the replacement program is likely now suspended, but don't quote me on that. You'll have to contact Sony, I suspect.

Matt H.

« Reply #43 on: May 27, 2009, 08:52:24 AM »

The noise on my side of the country didn't last very long, much to my delight.

Matt H.

« Reply #44 on: May 27, 2009, 08:53:28 AM »

Looks like I'll be watching that DOCTOR DOLITTLE Blu-ray (would that it were the 1967 musical version!). It came out LAST WEEK. Thanks, Fox, for another delay of a week to send out review titles.

Matt H.

« Reply #45 on: May 27, 2009, 08:54:10 AM »

Now, I need to head downstairs to get lunch started and the mail checked before getting into work mode.

WBBL.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #46 on: May 27, 2009, 08:55:24 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that last night, based on recommendations from several people, I began watching The Reader.  I lasted exactly three minutes and then shut off the disc and it's on the trade pile - can anyone guess why I bailed?

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #47 on: May 27, 2009, 08:59:39 AM »

Oh, I forgot to mention that last night, based on recommendations from several people, I began watching The Reader.  I lasted exactly three minutes and then shut off the disc and it's on the trade pile - can anyone guess why I bailed?

I'm betting it's the overall brownish color.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #48 on: May 27, 2009, 09:08:07 AM »

I'm betting it's the overall brownish color.

And/or all the whispering.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ginny

« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2009, 09:16:06 AM »

The Vomiting?
"Each of us lives with, and in and out of, contradiction.  Everything is salvageable.  There is nothing we cannot learn from."  --Sr. Mary Ellen Dougherty

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #50 on: May 27, 2009, 09:20:07 AM »

The Vomiting?

I was going to say it was the not-so-shocking revelation which gets lost in translation, so to speak.  But since that's not revealed in the first three minutes...
« Last Edit: May 27, 2009, 09:27:45 AM by JoseSPiano »
Make Your Own Luck.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #51 on: May 27, 2009, 09:37:55 AM »

...Gosh Groban...

I assume you are really in awe of Mr Groban.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #52 on: May 27, 2009, 09:39:34 AM »

- can anyone guess why I bailed?

The lack of female frontal nudity?

der Brucer

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #53 on: May 27, 2009, 09:40:22 AM »

For DR MBarnum and other DRs-

A Dispute Half a World Away Darkens a Movie House in Queens

"By KIRK SEMPLE
Published: May 27, 2009
A disagreement that has shut down the movie industry in India has hurt New York’s small theater owners, who are already losing money because of film piracy."
Make Your Own Luck.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #54 on: May 27, 2009, 09:42:24 AM »

DR MICHAEL S when I first got cable - Headin' For Broadway was in heavy rotation on HBO and I watched it several times.  I liked it.  I think it head Carlo Imperato from TV's FAME in it.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

Jrand73

• Valley of the Dolls.
    • Facebook for Jackrandall
« Reply #55 on: May 27, 2009, 09:43:07 AM »

I don't remember the first 3 minutes of THE READER.

Still feeling bad, but feeling much better.
.....you're alone.....and the feeling of loneliness is overpowering.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #56 on: May 27, 2009, 09:50:13 AM »

The noise on my side of the country didn't last very long, much to my delight.

That's becasue all the mobile noise-makers have joined the convoy to Studio City.

der Brucer

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #57 on: May 27, 2009, 09:54:35 AM »

* * * * *  FEEL BETTER VIBES FOR DR JRAND  * * * * *
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #58 on: May 27, 2009, 09:59:05 AM »

I watched a very odd British "comedy"(?) last night -- "The Runaway Bus" (1954) starring Frankie Howerd, Margaret Rutherford and Petula Clark.

Interesting, if a bit off-putting with Mr. Howerd's brand of humor (think of Trevor Banniseter's Mr. Lucas in "Are You being Served?", but with a "saucier" delivery...a bit of posh frippery).  Sigh.  Clark looked nothing like she did as a 1960s pop star. 

Much ado about fog...lots of insults and putdowns...and the like.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

FJL

« Reply #59 on: May 27, 2009, 10:11:18 AM »

Feel better, Jrand.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 7   Go Up