Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BUSY LITTLE DAY  (Read 18252 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
BUSY LITTLE DAY
« on: May 29, 2009, 12:14:05 AM »

Well, you've read the notes, the notes were both busy and little, and now it is time for you to post until the busy little cows come home.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BUSY LITTLE DAY
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2009, 12:15:37 AM »

And the word of the day is: SAGACIOUS!

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2009, 12:46:49 AM »

Last night's volunteer appreciation dinner at WCPA (continued):

The BEST part of the evening was when they were giving out the door prizes.  They had some things like one-pound bags of ground coffee, a six-month subscription to a local children's museum, a book by a local author, things like that.  The two best prizes were 1) a voucher for two tickets to a Harlequin Productions show (which I won last year :D) and 2) a voucher for two tickets to ANY Washington Center sponsored show (see the list that I posted last night), and I won that! 

SCORED AGAIN! ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 01:04:08 AM by George »
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2009, 01:03:42 AM »

And now...to bed.
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 02:13:20 AM »

Just don't forget...

Val Kilmer IS Moses!!

Ben

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 03:20:52 AM »

Last night's volunteer appreciation dinner at WCPA:

Announcing one of the shows for next season:

Cats (I've never seen this live)

I could say many things

such as

It might sound better if you're dead

or

I'll have another order of Ground Glass and then could you pound some nails into my eardrums please?

I think I'll go with the last one  8)

Ben

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 03:34:12 AM »

I had an exhausting but productive day yesterday. From 10:30 to 3 I was in a meeting with the Annie E. Casey Foundation. It went very well. Many thing were discussed (none of which related to musical theatre or theatre in general). At 2:40 my supervisor knocked on the door to ask if I was still in the meeting. The COO and Executive Vice President who answered the door (she is one and the same COO & EVP) was ready to KILL her and the funny thing is my supervisor has no clue that she should not have interrupted the meeting. It wasn't some high level secret meeting but her sense of proper behavior sometimes is not in the same realm as others. She had knocked on the door because she wanted to rehearse our presentation one more time before my second meeting at 3:30 when we were to talk about a new database our department has developed. The meeting wasn't until 3:30 and I was absolutely going to be out of the first meeting at 3pm on the dot because the AEC people had to get to Penn Station to catch a train back to Baltimore so she could have waited another 20 minutes for the meeting to end. She's not going to be fired for knocking on the door but boy, her stock in the eyes of the COO/EVP has plummeted. She was on shaky ground before but now she's on the cliff.

Even with all that our 3:30 meeting (at least my portion which didn't happen until 4:50!!!!!!!!!!) went well.

I realize that public speaking is in the Top 5 on a list of things most people don't want to do but come on, if you have a month's notice that you have to make a  5 minute presentation can you at least TRY to make it seem like you put more work into it than sitting at your desk at 3:25 and scribbling out notes that are actually 10-15 minutes long (they stop you after 5 minutes or 10 minutes if there are two people) and droning on like you are in a cave talking to yourself? It's not only embarrasing to us to watch it, it's embarrasing to you to present yourself that way.

We came off the best of the 7 because our material was exactly 8 minutes and 30 seconds and we had rehearsed twice before Rebecca decided we needed a third rehearsal at 2:40pm. Every other person was cut off and they all seemed like they would throw up from nerves. I don't have a clue what they were talking about because the material was not presented well. I don't attend these meetings on a regular basis so I don't know what the higher ups think but if I did have to go every month I think I'd be living on Ground Glass and Drano.

Enough with the negative thoughts.

I'm done with my oatmeal, it's time to take a shower and get to the office. It's supposed to be a cool and wet day in New York. I have no idea what I will listen to at work, other than the Russell Davies Show on BBC Radio 2. I have a meeting at 2pm and then I will leave for the weekend.

That's all for now.

See you in about an hour.
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 03:35:52 AM by Ben »

DAW

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2009, 03:45:46 AM »

Glad that it went well, DR Ben!!!!

DAW

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2009, 03:48:01 AM »

NOW AND FOREVER!!!!!!!!

Michael

« Reply #9 on: May 29, 2009, 04:11:42 AM »

I have a lot of music listening planned.

The Mavericks (3 cds)
The Manhattan Transfer (Courtesy of DR George)
The All Time Greatest Movie Songs (A Matter of opinion if they are the greatest or not)
The Soundtrack to Something's Gotta Give (Looks like the highlight is Jack Nicholson singing La Vie En Rose)

and a homegrown CD of songs that was lent to me including songs from a group called The Pansy Division with some of the most obscene lyrics I've ever heard. I can't even post them here.
Never stop dreaming.

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #10 on: May 29, 2009, 05:03:44 AM »

Betsy got up at the veritable crack o' today to fly back to Wisconsin (and boy will her arms be tired).  So I am up.  Oy.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2009, 05:06:01 AM »

NOW AND FOREVER!!!!!!!!

That horrible show is just like a vampire; you think the coffin's nailed shut and the piece of trash jumps up and bites your ass.
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2009, 05:10:22 AM »

Good morning, all! Well, yesterday was payday and today it's all gone. WTF?

I'm off to the McGlinnventory for 4 more hours of cleaning out cartons. There's so much torn up paper and crap I want to toss out, but the executor won't let me. He's as bad as those idiot Sondheim cultists who regard Sondheim's used toilet paper as manuscript.

So, TOD:
  DVD: Too much and no time
  CD: BBC radio broadcasts of several musicals, Ivor Novello, Liz Callaway, Guy Haines, Offenbach's MADAME FAVART.
   VCR: cheeper and cheeper
« Last Edit: May 29, 2009, 05:44:34 AM by elmore3003 »
"There are two means of refuge from the miseries of life: music and cats" - Albert Schweitzer

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2009, 05:22:27 AM »

You cannot convince me that ALW did not have a cerebral hemorrhage sometime after he completed JCS.  There is simply no other explanation.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2009, 05:38:03 AM »

I got a box of DVD goodies yesterday, of which I will watch many over the weekend.  Among them:

REVOLUTIONARY ROAD
HE'S NOT THAT INTO YOU
MAN HUNT (Lang)
THE INTERNATIONAL
THE STRANGE ONE
'24," Season 7

I'm also expecting a copy of GRAN TORINO within the next day or two.
You can dream…or you can do.

Laura

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2009, 05:39:46 AM »

Today I am babysitting. I guess I will listen to 6-year-old chatter.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Druxy

• druxmanworks.com
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2009, 05:39:51 AM »

BK,

I want to join your protest group.

They were pouring concrete across the street from me this morning at 6:14 am.

>:(
You can dream…or you can do.

elmore3003

• What is it, fish?
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2009, 05:43:54 AM »

You cannot convince me that ALW did not have a cerebral hemorrhage sometime after he completed JCS.  There is simply no other explanation.

It's that old MEA syndrome, Major Ego Attack.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #18 on: May 29, 2009, 05:48:21 AM »

Good Morning!

I'm up, I'm up... And it's 8:40am (EDT).
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #19 on: May 29, 2009, 05:51:09 AM »

...According to "The Today Show" segment I'm watching, TV's "Blossom", Mayim Bialik, will be the featured "fashion victim" on tonight's season premiere of "What Not To Wear" on TLC.

-Just in case anyone needs to set their DVRs... ::)
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #20 on: May 29, 2009, 06:00:43 AM »

DR Ben - Glad to hear that everything went well yesterday.
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #21 on: May 29, 2009, 06:07:16 AM »

I could say many things

such as

or

I'll have another order of Ground Glass and then could you pound some nails into my eardrums please?

I actually like the score for Cats - even if 80% of it is self-recycled-ALW, and the remaining 20% is recycled-Meyerbeer and Puccini.  And I still remember being kind of disappointed when I saw the show live oh so many years ago.  All that fuss over a tire!  ;)

*Oh, and I believe the current tour only travels with three musicians... And an inflatable set.
Make Your Own Luck.

Ben

« Reply #22 on: May 29, 2009, 06:16:23 AM »

Things have settled down a bit (even though I have a meeting at 2pm today). Since I spent about two hours of extra time getting ready for both meetings yesterday I plan on leaving early on Monday and Tuesday. I was going to leave at 2pm today (instead of 4) but since I got hit with a 2pm meeting that won't happen.

I think I will get a TDF ticket for reasons to be pretty for Tuesday at 7. I hoped to get a TDF for Exit the King (since the talk is Geoffry Rush is the favorite to win Best Actor in a Play Tony) but it's not happening. I want to see it before next Sunday (June 7th) so I may have to get a half-price ticket before the Tonys.

There are (or were) tickets for Tin Pan Alley Rag on TDF last night. That's the musical revue with Scott Joplin and Irving Berlin music. It's being done by Roundabout at their Off-Broadway space. I may try to get a ticket.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2009, 06:19:34 AM »

As for the Friday Media Check....

Earlier this week, I discovered that the CD-player in my compact shelf system refuses to play.  Actually, it refuses to stay closed - the tray pops right back out after I hit the Close button.  Ah, well...  So, it's been the usual routine of late-night and morning WQXR.  And I rewatched the pilot of "Glee" on my iPod during a long subway ride.

Exciting, huh?
Make Your Own Luck.

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
« Reply #24 on: May 29, 2009, 06:24:15 AM »

Time for me to run a few errands.

Laters...
Make Your Own Luck.

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #25 on: May 29, 2009, 06:34:48 AM »

I have a lot of music listening planned.

The Mavericks (3 cds)
The Manhattan Transfer (Courtesy of DR George)
The All Time Greatest Movie Songs (A Matter of opinion if they are the greatest or not)
The Soundtrack to Something's Gotta Give (Looks like the highlight is Jack Nicholson singing La Vie En Rose)

and a homegrown CD of songs that was lent to me including songs from a group called The Pansy Division with some of the most obscene lyrics I've ever heard. I can't even post them here.

I LOVE the soundtrack to SOMETHINGS GOT TO GIVE.  I don't usually like soundtracks that are just a collection of songs, but SGTG's tracks are so perfectly selected that by the time you get to Nicholson warbling "La Vie En Rose" you can't help but crack a smile.  Definately one of my favorite discs.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #26 on: May 29, 2009, 06:47:45 AM »

I could say many things

such as

or

I actually like the score for Cats - even if 80% of it is self-recycled-ALW, and the remaining 20% is recycled-Meyerbeer and Puccini.  And I still remember being kind of disappointed when I saw the show live oh so many years ago.  All that fuss over a tire!  ;)

*Oh, and I believe the current tour only travels with three musicians... And an inflatable set.

Each time I got dragged kicking and screaming to CATS on B'way, I anticipated the show pretty much the same way that DR Ben feels about it.  But each time I cam away completely entranced, having surrendered to the atmosphere of the show as a whole.

However, about two or three years ago I saw a touring company in Philly.  It turned out to be the non-equity, cut-rate version of the show.  Awful wasn't the word!  Aside from the cheap-o looking set and the shaggy costumes, the cast was primarily composed of posers who never danced a lick but just pranced across the stage and behaved in kitty-cat manners.  Meh!  and Feh!
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #27 on: May 29, 2009, 06:51:34 AM »

MEdia Check:

iPod:  THE STORY OF MY LIFE, NEXT TO NORMAL

Tivo:  DANCING LADY from TCM yesterday morning

DVD:  Nada.  Nothing.

Which reminds me, I want to order the PEYTON PLACE and DESIGNING WOMEN sets today...
-- Anaïs Nin

Matt H.

• Side by side by Sondheim
« Reply #28 on: May 29, 2009, 07:18:09 AM »

I have to say that I've watched the video of CATS more than JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR or JOSEPH. With real dancers, it can be a fun if forgettable show. I just never understand why it was such a sensation or had such a long run.
If at first you don't succeed, that's about average for me.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #29 on: May 29, 2009, 07:19:24 AM »

One more..............
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9   Go Up