Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Down

Author Topic: BUSY LITTLE DAY  (Read 18251 times)

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
Re: BUSY LITTLE DAY
« Reply #60 on: May 29, 2009, 08:09:27 AM »

Most city codes (and I would imagine Studio City is among them) permit construction noise from 7 a.m. until 6 p.m.  Believe me, I know from experience.

Oh, it's worse - it seven to nine at night.  The only good part of this is that for now the work usually stops at four because I guess they don't want to go into costly overtime with these guys.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #61 on: May 29, 2009, 08:13:55 AM »

RLP, no it wasn't Mr. Suspenders.  It was one of the most respected film music label producers and labels who was behaving poorly - shockingly so - in fact, I've never seen anything like it EVER.  There were thankfully not many people there when it happened but most were looking at their shoes.  The bad behavior followed us into the bar area, where Miss Kirgo let forth with some rather cherce rebuttals.  Then I had my chat and that seemed to help, at least.

That sounds like someone you've worked with.   Any hints as to the "object" of his invective?
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #62 on: May 29, 2009, 08:15:52 AM »

Today's Amazon.com "Gold Box" offer is really "out there", IMO.

If this appeals to any of you.....

On a quest to make everything taste like bacon J & D's Bacon Salt is well on its way. Starting with Original, Hickory, and Peppererd flavors they have now extended to include Natural Bacon Salt and several Limited Edition flavors (Applewood, Jalapeno, Mesquite, Cheddar and Maple Redux). And now they have expanded beyond...

Just what the world needs....EVERYthing tasting like bacon.
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #63 on: May 29, 2009, 08:26:15 AM »

RLP, no it wasn't Mr. Suspenders.  It was one of the most respected film music label producers and labels who was behaving poorly - shockingly so - in fact, I've never seen anything like it EVER.  There were thankfully not many people there when it happened but most were looking at their shoes.  The bad behavior followed us into the bar area, where Miss Kirgo let forth with some rather cherce rebuttals.  Then I had my chat and that seemed to help, at least.

That sounds like someone you've worked with.   Any hints as to the "object" of his invective?

Look at the name in the post you quoted, the person who gave the cherce rebuttals - that should tell you.

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #64 on: May 29, 2009, 08:30:42 AM »

That sounds like someone you've worked with.   Any hints as to the "object" of his invective?

Look at the name in the post you quoted, the person who gave the cherce rebuttals - that should tell you.

OMG!

JMK

• G-d made stars galore.--ZMK, modern prophet
    • All About Jeff:  The Musical
« Reply #65 on: May 29, 2009, 08:34:46 AM »

I am SO (*#*)(_)EWFUF@$%(* ANGRY right now.  For the SECOND friggin' time in less than a year, my Fred Meyer Mastercard has been "compromised."  Of course, they never tell you which idiot retailer let numbers get out, but it means that yet again they need to close the account, reissue a card (which typically only has about a 6 week expiration status, at which point you get yet ANOTHER card), and I need to go through the hoo-hah of reentering card numbers for automatic payments.  At least they're keeping it open through the weekend because I think it's the only card Betsy took with her to Wisconsin.
Would you like to take a picture of my lipoma for posterity?

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #66 on: May 29, 2009, 08:41:12 AM »

Okay, I know that NEXT TO NORMAL has its fans here, but I couldn't get through it.  It's not the subject matter, it's the whiny, self-indulgent lyrics coupled with "rock" music that has absolutely no variations in tone through out the score.  And then there's the howling singing.  This is the musical for the AMERICAN IDOL generation.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #67 on: May 29, 2009, 08:51:23 AM »

As I said when I saw it, I enjoyed Next To Normal more than I thought I would, mostly because I liked a lot of the cast and it was staged interestingly.  I was not impressed by the score or lyrics, and yes, the singing, especially by the teenage boy, was not my cup of tea.  But Alice Ripley's performance, at least on stage, is fantastic.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #68 on: May 29, 2009, 08:52:37 AM »

I think I shan't do the long jog today - it's really overcast out and I would have had to begin about ten minutes ago.  I just did two days in a row, so I'm fine until tomorrow. 

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #69 on: May 29, 2009, 08:53:09 AM »

I actually don't have a clew as to when I'm supposed to eat something today - so I may not get to a meal until seven or eight.

bk

• Administrator
  • What is it, fish?
« Reply #70 on: May 29, 2009, 09:08:00 AM »

Exactly as I said, there is total silence coming from next door.  Unbelievable.

Jennifer

« Reply #71 on: May 29, 2009, 09:21:18 AM »

I'm not sure how many fans there are here of PUSHING DAISIES. But they are airing the last episodes starting this saturday night.

Kerry

« Reply #72 on: May 29, 2009, 09:28:07 AM »

I uninstalled and re-installed my printer software, and the  gnitnirp esrever  problem seems to have resolved itself.       :)

Whew!

[and yes, that's a good whew!]

Backwards might be a fun for awhile.  I once had a clock that run backwards if you plugged it into a particular outlet (but I never checked to see if I had actually turned back time).
I like boat races.

JMK

« Reply #73 on: May 29, 2009, 09:40:50 AM »

I uninstalled and re-installed my printer software, and the  gnitnirp esrever  problem seems to have resolved itself.       :)

Whew!

[and yes, that's a good whew!]

Backwards might be a fun for awhile.  I once had a clock that run backwards if you plugged it into a particular outlet (but I never checked to see if I had actually turned back time).

And would your surname be Gateau?  (A Benjamin Button reference).

"It is a tale of conflicting loyalties, megalomania, love, hate and a number of other issues I can't remember."

JMK

« Reply #74 on: May 29, 2009, 09:41:32 AM »

I'm starting to wonder just a bit about a certain jazz superstar's agent.  He keeps asking the same questions over and over.  That said, I know he's in his 80s, so I will be patient.  For the time being.  ;)

DAW

« Reply #75 on: May 29, 2009, 10:07:41 AM »

I will be patient.  For the time being. 

It's good to stretch yourself.

DAW

« Reply #76 on: May 29, 2009, 10:08:22 AM »

if I had actually turned back time.

You and Cher!

DAW

« Reply #77 on: May 29, 2009, 10:09:32 AM »

DR JMK - bummer about the card snafu.  I know how frustrating it is.  I don't think I know anyone who hasn't had it happen to them, or know someone who has.

DAW

« Reply #78 on: May 29, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »

Hmmm.   I enjoyed the Next to Normal recording.   I imagined it as sort of a March of the Falsettoes for today.

DERBRUCER

• Let's hear it for the Bruces
« Reply #79 on: May 29, 2009, 10:16:04 AM »

You cannot convince me that ALW did not have a cerebral hemorrhage sometime after he completed JCS.  There is simply no other explanation.

Well, whatever happened sure helped his bank account.

der Brucer
We live in a universe not of clocks but of clouds.

DERBRUCER

« Reply #80 on: May 29, 2009, 10:24:25 AM »

I have to say that I've watched the video of CATS more than JESUS CHRIST SUPERSTAR or JOSEPH. With real dancers, it can be a fun if forgettable show. I just never understand why it was such a sensation or had such a long run.

Perhaps the runs are successful because it is a fun night at the theatre and a very family friendly show that encourages folks to go back again with some friends or relatives.

der Brucer

I saw it twice on successive trips to London

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #81 on: May 29, 2009, 10:44:19 AM »

Strike Two:  I don't THE STORY OF MY LIFE, either.

I should have posted about these recordings during yesterday's topic.
And the day came when the risk it took to remain tight in the bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom.
-- Anaïs Nin

Dan (the Man)

• Classic Dan(theMan)
« Reply #82 on: May 29, 2009, 10:45:22 AM »

I'm just going to play it safe for the rest of the afternoon and listen to ON THE TWENTIETH CENTURY...
-- Anaïs Nin

DERBRUCER

« Reply #83 on: May 29, 2009, 10:46:38 AM »

...my Fred Meyer Mastercard has been "compromised."  Of course, they never tell you which idiot retailer let numbers get out...

Are you sure it was a retailer? Many past compromises were the result of hacking at the processing center level.

der Brucer

Laura

« Reply #84 on: May 29, 2009, 11:01:00 AM »

I have nothing to say, except that I am working on the  newsletter and the bulletin.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

Ben

« Reply #85 on: May 29, 2009, 11:02:14 AM »

I am about to enter the realm of another meeting, scheduled from 2-4pm. One can only hope it doesn't go that long or I shall scream, Mr. Bumble (an Oliver reference).

DERBRUCER

« Reply #86 on: May 29, 2009, 11:10:27 AM »

I have nothing to say, except that I am working on the  newsletter and the bulletin.

And so to be followed by a date with Mr Printer?

der Brucer

Laura

« Reply #87 on: May 29, 2009, 11:13:15 AM »

Yes. I'm kinda putting that off.
"That's a lotta hamsters."

JoseSPiano

• Who wants ice cream?
    • The View From A Piano Bench
« Reply #88 on: May 29, 2009, 11:35:33 AM »

Good Afternoon!

I had a somewhat profitable morning down around Union Square.  Over the past few days, I've started making some piles of "stuff" to sort through for purging, giving away and/or selling.  Well, I took a bunch of books down to The Strand and got some cash - well, a little cash for them (but that was no surprise), and I also took some CDs down to Academy Records.  Well, imagine my surprise when the 7 opera sets I took in - all Wagner - ended up netting me a little over $100. I was really only expecting half that.

The buyer did compliment me on the condition of the CDs: slip cases in near-mint condition, no fingerprints on the CDs themselves, etc. "You really kept these in great shape.  It's like they never came out of the box."  -Well, some of them never did. ;)

I think I'm going to take another batch down tomorrow morning.  I'm basically clearing out anything that I know I bought purely for reference purposes when I was primarily doing Classical accompanying.  Since one of the teachers at Catholic University liked to assign lesser-known arias from lesser-known operas, I have a bunch of those lesser-known-operas on my shelves.  And I most likely only listened to one or two arias from each opera... 15(!) years ago.  Buh-bye!
Make Your Own Luck.

DAW

« Reply #89 on: May 29, 2009, 11:35:45 AM »

Strike Two:  I don't THE STORY OF MY LIFE, either.

And I liked that one, too.         :)
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9   Go Up