News:

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Down

Author Topic: GAS  (Read 10775 times)

FJL

Re: GAS
« Reply #120 on: June 02, 2009, 03:18:56 PM »

And one for Freedom Day

George

• A person should celebrate what passes by.
« Reply #121 on: June 02, 2009, 03:20:29 PM »

And one for Freedom Day

According to my Futurama calendar, today is Hristo Botev Day in Bulgaria, so HAPPY HRISTO BOTEV DAY, too!!

;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

MBarnum

« Reply #122 on: June 02, 2009, 03:49:21 PM »

I'll bet that DR MBarnum would like to see THIS exhibit in person!!  :)

That would be a fantastic exhibit! I had no idea Harlequin's books in the 50s were for all genre's, not just romance. Great covers!!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #123 on: June 02, 2009, 03:56:16 PM »

Good morning, all! The bass part to go and then a day typing up all of my edits.

BK, I wasn't apathetic about yesterday's topic. I had nothing to report, not that I was unwlling, but romance and I are strangers. I haven't necessarily wanted to be single for the past 30 years. It wasn't to be and I say this with no self pity.

I do like DR George's proposed topic today. I've had two grisly moves, one from Oxford OH and grad school to Pennsylvania to a teaching job was I pressured into taking and the various moves about New York before I found an apartment. I'll write about the move in 1971 and save the New York stories for the next tiem the topic comes up.

In 1970, after grad school, I worked at Miami University on the library staff. I had a nice second-floor apartment on High Street, which became the place for any of my friends to stop by whenever they left the campus and went into town. My academic seniors, mainly the theatre dept faculty, kept pressuring me to find a "real" job, meaning a teaching position and I finally accepted one that was handed to me, I had to be in Pennsylvania by Sept 1, 1971.  Around 11 am, early in August, a friend came into the Miami U library and told me the building at the end of my block was on fire; it had started in the basement dry cleaning business and was quickly taking the building down.

On the advice of my fellow staff members,  I ran uptown, parked my car in front of my building and started evacuating. I also called my mother, who told me she and my brother Randy would be over to help me clear out what I could. Since it was about a 40-minute drive, I started carrying priorities - manuscripts of music, books and records mostly - down to my car and dumping it in the trunk. By the time my mother arrived, High Street was closed off, more fire departments were arriving, and my building was closed by the Oxford fire dept.

For the next several hours, my mother, Randy and I stood in a crowd about 2 blocks from the fire and watched a building collapse, killing a couple of firemen, and watched the various fire departments' attempts to put out the fire in the building next to mine. Around 4 pm, the fire was under control, my apartment building was condemned and no one could enter it, I had only what I had removed from it, none of it clothing, and I had no place to live. So I moved home to Middletown and drove back to Oxford every morning. My days were a mess of attempts to get into the building to empty it by Aug. 15 and giving up a job I really liked for a move to an unkown experience I was dreading. I must have at some point purchased new clothes, but I have no memory of it.

When I was finally allowed back into the building, it was a Saturday morning and I was accompanied by the fire marshall. I removed everything I wanted to keep and left the rest for the landlord to remove. All my clothes were smoke damaged and needed dry cleaning. A lot of it was tossed when the dry cleaning was returned, I rented a U-haul truck, packed it and moved to Chambersburg, PA, for a disastrous year of academia. I remember being stopped by a cop for driving the wrong way down a one-way street during my apartment search in Chambersburg, I remember that the Pennsylvania turnpike is endless and always provides its drivers with rain or other precipitation, if not fog as well, and I remember how lonely I was away from friends and family for the first couple of months. What I learned in Pennsylvania was that one tiny second-rate college theatre program is much like the other and that leaving Oxford OH for a job in the "real" world was only moving from one hornet's nest to another.

In retrospect, I should never have taken the job, but I would not be the person I am today if I had stayed on the library staff. God alone knows what I would be doing today instead of editing THE MOST HAPPY FELLA and writing these notes to you DRs.

A very moving story, no pun intended, elmore.
“One thing’s universal,
Life’s no dress rehearsal….”

MBarnum

« Reply #124 on: June 02, 2009, 03:59:59 PM »

I'm going to write for just a bit and then head downstairs to rejoin Perry, Della, and Paul in the middle of the case they're actively investigating, the murder of a cosmetics tycoon.

WBBL.

When you get to THE CASE OF THE WAYLAID WOLF keep an eye out for my friend Laurie Mitchell as Madge!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #125 on: June 02, 2009, 04:02:23 PM »

On TV TOnight!™

ABC - ACCORDING TO JIM (series finale)

Thank you, Lord!
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #126 on: June 02, 2009, 04:03:10 PM »

I've only had extremely lurid sexual encounters, hence my reticence to post yesterday.  :)

Yeah, right!
“One thing’s universal,

Cillaliz

« Reply #127 on: June 02, 2009, 04:38:15 PM »

Happy Freedom Day (observed) to everyone!

Freedom Day is a holiday I made up. Everyone should have a holiday of one's own invention.

Funny, this morning after I finished my last hearing before I leave town, I said out loud "I FEEL FREE"   I'm really not making this up I did.   Now I discover that it's Freedom Day.  No wonder I feel so good!

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #128 on: June 02, 2009, 04:55:59 PM »

Among the guest stars in the episodes I've watched (in addition to Redford) are Phil Ober, Hal Smith, Russell Arms, Sue Randall, Connie Hines, John Lupton, Patricia Breslin, and Dabs Greer. All of these folks were mainstays in TV of this period.

I always loved John Lupton.  I am not sure the feeling was mutual.
“One thing’s universal,

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #129 on: June 02, 2009, 04:59:32 PM »

Heidi Montag and Spencer Pratt are reality show celebrities but in my opinion can't compare with the notoriety of a Lou Diamond Phillips who has done stage, screen, AND television for many years, been nominated for awards, and is generally acknowledged as a very talented actor. That he would do a show like this means his career is in the doldrums at the moment, but just a look at him in something like COURAGE UNDER FIRE lets you see what a talented and charismatic talent he can be with the right material.

Perhaps he should return to Broadway.
“One thing’s universal,

Laura

« Reply #130 on: June 02, 2009, 05:30:06 PM »

Freedom Day 2009

Our first stop. Starbucks. Always.

"That's a lotta hamsters."

Laura

« Reply #131 on: June 02, 2009, 05:31:19 PM »

We took the talking GPS to Grapefruit Court and set it to French so we could hear it say "pamplamoose." Of course, it didn't translate. It just said "grapefruit" with a French accent. Darn.

Laura

« Reply #132 on: June 02, 2009, 05:32:03 PM »

So we decided to go north on US 60. We drove through the Joshua trees.

Laura

« Reply #133 on: June 02, 2009, 05:33:36 PM »

We went up to Nothing, AZ. Nothing used to be a town with a population of 4 and they sold rocks. It is about a third of the way to Las Vegas. It was recently sold, and I read in the paper that the new owners of Nothing opened a pizza place. The owner said the oven was being repaired and there would be no pizza until much later today. Darn.

« Last Edit: June 02, 2009, 05:38:38 PM by Laura »

Laura

« Reply #134 on: June 02, 2009, 05:35:32 PM »

So then we drove back south on US 60. We stopped at one of our favorite places in Peoria, AZ. Well, it used to be. I guess it, too, was recently sold. Now, instead of "Earl's Mexican and American Food" it is "Crazy Earl's." Darn.

Laura

« Reply #135 on: June 02, 2009, 05:37:11 PM »

Well, we had lunch there, anyway, since we were hungry. The waitress dropped my taco on the table and got my order wrong. I ordered two chicken enchiladas. Instead I got one cheese and one beef. Isn't that exciting?

Here is the carpet at Crazy Earl's:

Laura

« Reply #136 on: June 02, 2009, 05:37:38 PM »

We both ate too much, so we came home to spend the rest of Freedom Day doing nothing.

The End.

George

« Reply #137 on: June 02, 2009, 05:46:43 PM »

We both ate too much, so we came home to spend the rest of Freedom Day doing nothing.

The End.

A lovely story!  Thanks for sharing! ;D
Voldemort is basically a middle school girl: he has a locket, a diary, a tiara, a ring, and is completely obsessed with a teenage boy.

DAW

« Reply #138 on: June 02, 2009, 05:47:27 PM »

Maybe you should have ordered the Pamplamoose enchiladas.

DAW

« Reply #139 on: June 02, 2009, 05:54:07 PM »

A CLASSICAL COLLECTIBLE POP-UP:

FJL

« Reply #140 on: June 02, 2009, 05:55:10 PM »

Lovely celebration of Freedom Day

George

« Reply #141 on: June 02, 2009, 06:05:25 PM »

Well, it's time for rehearsal.  Tonight, we're supposed to bring all our costume pieces but two that I ordered on-line haven't arrived, yet.  They're supposed to arrive tomorrow or Thursday, so that shouldn't be a problem.

Until later.

Laura

« Reply #142 on: June 02, 2009, 06:20:42 PM »

Sadly, I must end Freedom Day with a teleconference meeting.

Sam

• " The best things in life are free "
« Reply #143 on: June 02, 2009, 06:22:53 PM »

Good afternoon everyone.

Again, I really enjoyed reading today's and yesterday's posts.

It brightens up my day after coming home from work.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

Sam

« Reply #144 on: June 02, 2009, 06:26:08 PM »

Work did let one person go last week, and since I'm the only non family member in the office, well I hope things pick up.
"Shoot for the moon.  Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars..."  (Unknown)

FJL

« Reply #145 on: June 02, 2009, 06:34:55 PM »

Job security vibes to Sam

Sam

« Reply #146 on: June 02, 2009, 06:37:40 PM »

TOD: Moving, twice in the last 4 years.  With the same movers, my solution was to tell them ahead of time that if they try not to break anything I'll tip really big.  Last December $295.00 for the moving company and $180.00 tip to the 2 guys.  They worked really fast and nothing broke.

Since I moved in I've downsized by 1/4.   Next move will be (as a couple of you have already said) will be the last one, period.

From Germany it was, Missouri, Arizona, Texas, Missouri, Los Angeles, Arizona, Los Angeles, etc.  Maybe 12 schools in the first 6 grades.  

Sam

« Reply #147 on: June 02, 2009, 06:41:29 PM »

Thank you FJL.     I'm too old to try to look for another job.

TCB

• Because I can!
« Reply #148 on: June 02, 2009, 06:42:33 PM »

Job vibes for Sam.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
“One thing’s universal,

Ron Pulliam

• The 1st HHW God!
« Reply #149 on: June 02, 2009, 06:42:58 PM »

We went up to Nothing, AZ. Nothing used to be a town with a population of 4 and they sold rocks. It is about a third of the way to Las Vegas. It was recently sold, and I read in the paper that the new owners of Nothing opened a pizza place. The owner said the oven was being repaired and there would be no pizza until much later today. Darn.

So THIS is where you got it, eh??!!!
Measure your life by moments that take your breath away, not by the breaths you take in a moment.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7   Go Up